ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official IOWA vs. GCU Game Thread*****

This is quite early isn’t it? But I like your style... I am drinking from now until the end of all games tomorrow... anyone in with me? (lol) I am sure my head will hit the pillow sooner rather than later GO HAWKS KICK SOME ASS TODAY)!

Iowa 89 GCU 67

GCU has 5 losses in single digits and 1 loss in double digits, and the double digit loss was 10pts. Given the time they've had to prepare, this could be closer than you think.

If we limit stupid turnovers and get shots up, I agree we win comfortably. Alessandro Lever can shoot the 3, we need to stop that. Lever and Blacksher need to be faceguarded all game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbinger273
GCU has 5 losses in single digits and 1 loss in double digits, and the double digit loss was 10pts. Given the time they've had to prepare, this could be closer than you think.

If we limit stupid turnovers and get shots up, I agree we win comfortably. Alessandro Lever can shoot the 3, we need to stop that. Lever and Blacksher need to be faceguarded all game.

I find it hard to see Iowa losing if Garza isn't limited by fouls. The big guy for GCU is big, but really slow. And he's hasn't seen anything like Garza this year. Iowa will also get open 3's. GCU doesn't really crowd you on defense. They are big. Wieskamp, Frederick, Bohannon will have the opportunities to make a lot of shots.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Hawks 102
GCU 46

This is an NCAA game, not a home game against Southern U. If Iowa scores over 75 they will win easily and by that I mean 10 or more points. It all depends if Garza can stay out of foul trouble or not. If he sits for extended minutes in the first half, I can see Iowa struggle to separate themselves from GCU. If Iowa doesn't put the clamps in their little waterbug guard it just might get ugly. He's capable of anything.
As well as Iowa has been playing man to man I wouldn't mind Iowa playing a zone withi Garza, Keegan, Wieskamp, Patrick, and Fredrick with Patrick out front hindering their little guard, but then again there's a reason I'm not a coach....

This is an NCAA game, not a home game against Southern U. If Iowa scores over 75 they will win easily and by that I mean 10 or more points. It all depends if Garza can stay out of foul trouble or not. If he sits for extended minutes in the first half, I can see Iowa struggle to separate themselves from GCU. If Iowa doesn't put the clamps in their little waterbug guard it just might get ugly. He's capable of anything.
As well as Iowa has been playing man to man I wouldn't mind Iowa playing a zone withi Garza, Keegan, Wieskamp, Patrick, and Fredrick with Patrick out front hindering their little guard, but then again there's a reason I'm not a coach....
I think the 5'11' guard is a perfect matchup for Toussant to guard if he's given the minutes to do so. He could torment the guy!!! These kinds of guards scare me because they can blow right past Bohannon with ease.

Won’t be watching today. Going to see my grandson who turns 3 tomorrow. My daughter and her husband are not sports fans, so they won’t have the tourney on. I *could* put it on, but celebrating my grandson’s birthday is more important.

I’ll record the game and watch it later (if they win).

GCU (and former Illini) assistant coach Jamal Walker finally gets to serve his suspension from an NCAA game. He picked it up back in 2013 in the Illini loss to Miami going after the refs who blew an out of bounds call that led to the rule that gives us all these wonderful late game reviews. It's been a long road and the big day is finally here.

Won’t be watching today. Going to see my grandson who turns 3 tomorrow. My daughter and her husband are not sports fans, so they won’t have the tourney on. I *could* put it on, but celebrating my grandson’s birthday is more important.

I’ll record the game and watch it later (if they win).
I’m sorry but healthy priorities like that have no place on this board.

Can this team shoot at all? just wondering as much as we seem to suck at it, would it be a good to play more zone to protect Garza from foul trouble?

I'm curious. Has Iowa had the same amount of time to prepare? It shouldn't be close. Can upsets happen? Sure. That's why they are called upsets. But it shouldn't even be close. I predict Iowa by 20.

I hate that it will be this way, but all of any pressure will be on the Hawks in this one. GCU can play fast and loose because they are expected to lose. Everything to gain and nothing to lose.

I have little doubt Iowa will be ready, but they can not take their foot off the gas until they're up 30+ after the last media timeout in the game.

I admit to being a bit nervous after what happened to OSU yesterday. But, I believe our Hawks will prevail, (77-65) and advance to the field of 32. GO HAWKS!!

Reactions: SotaHawk87
I hope Garza hangs 30 on them in the first half and gets to sit most of the second half. Illinois is really pushing Ayo for NPOY and played him 33 minutes in their blowout over Drexel. But, bottom line, we need to crush the hopes of the Lopes early and not allow them to hang around hoping for an improbable victory.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Big Ten didn't have a great showing the past couple days, but the Hawks got this.

Hawks 86
GCU 70

question for those who've watched iowa all season. What the largest deficit that we've come back from and against whom was that?

OSU losing made me feel better. No way two 15 seeds go down in the round of 64, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT