Caliendo - 4th (pre-season #2)
Gabe - Highly ranked recruit coming off 1 loss true frosh season
Brands - AA

Caliendo - New weight but would be ranked highly
Kennedy - No AA finishes
Gabe - See above
Brands - See above

I'll take Door #1 100/100 times
I concur. I've been a bigtime advocate of PK, but he just hasn't sealed the deal. Like you I'll take door #1...with the caveat that it only applies if Gabe is actually beating PK. I want the best ten men on the mat regardless of where they came/come from or how highly recruited they were.

Very true but

157 caliendo
165 kennedy
174 gabe
184 brands

Vs

157 teemer
165 caliendo
174 Gabe
184 brands

Not exactly a huge gain. In fact Caliendo could potentially beat teemer if he’s got gas in the tank at 57.

We have a huge hole at 125 or 133 that would help much more with a pick up.

Lol

Oh wait you were serious.

Lol

Oh wait you were serious.
Luckily you don’t hang out at the cess pool without developing some thick skin lol. That said, I may have been painting kennedy through dream glasses after watching him win u23 nationals.

But then being reminded of his non aa performances and remembering how bad Caliendo beat him head to head … f&$k it! I’m in!! Let’s go Teemer!

Still need a 25 or 33 though …. Maybe kennedy can make 33?

Very true but

157 caliendo
165 kennedy
174 gabe
184 brands

Vs

157 teemer
165 caliendo
174 Gabe
184 brands

Not exactly a huge gain. In fact Caliendo could potentially beat teemer if he’s got gas in the tank at 57.

We have a huge hole at 125 or 133 that would help much more with a pick up.
Pass

These are all very good problems to have and I think the takeaway here is that this should be a very good team. Anything less than 2nd is a disappointment.

Personally, I want to see them break 100. PSU is far out of reach absent major injuries, so ignore them for the next couple years and let's judge Brands by whether his teams wrestle to their potential.

These are all very good problems to have and I think the takeaway here is that this should be a very good team. Anything less than 2nd is a disappointment.

Personally, I want to see them break 100. PSU is far out of reach absent major injuries, so ignore them for the next couple years and let's judge Brands by whether his teams wrestle to their potential.
I'm more concerned that Brands is making no effort to improve the assts staff.

They are unknowns from an "accomplishments" standpoint.

Teemer - 2nd (pre-season #1)
Caliendo - 4th (pre-season #2)
Gabe - Highly ranked recruit coming off 1 loss true frosh season
Brands - AA

Caliendo - New weight but would be ranked highly
Kennedy - No AA finishes
Gabe - See above
Brands - See above

I'll take Door #1 100/100 times
This will be Teemer's 7th season.

I
Luckily you don’t hang out at the cess pool without developing some thick skin lol. That said, I may have been painting kennedy through dream glasses after watching him win u23 nationals.

But then being reminded of his non aa performances and remembering how bad Caliendo beat him head to head … f&$k it! I’m in!! Let’s go Teemer!

Still need a 25 or 33 though …. Maybe kennedy can make 33?
only if he’s been dead for a month.

This will be Teemer's 7th season.
I know people like to point this out as some all consuming negative, but the best wrestlers still do quite well their last year.

It's not like Teemer has been regressing. He just took 2nd last year at a pretty tough weight and that was after missing an entire season due to injury. He has taken 4th, 6th, 2nd, in that order. I would be tickled PINK if I were Iowa and he came to me for his last season...

I'd like to add at least one individual title to my list of expectations. It's time to get over the hump there. Spencer Lee being the only NCAA champion since 2017 is not good enough.

I'd like to add at least one individual title to my list of expectations. It's time to get over the hump there. Spencer Lee being the only NCAA champion since 2017 is not good enough.
Caliendo is probably the only real shot and that truly depends on what PSU hammer ends up at 165(if Teemer ends up being the guy at 157) As much as I would like that and even as good as this team looks, Teemer is probably the only other one with a decent shot and that also really hinges fully on whether or not 1 of the PSU hammers ends up at 157.

Ayala is probably the closest after that, but I don't see him being strong enough quite yet to pull it off at 133 and if 125 is that hard of a cut, I think Figs probably distances himself a bit next season.

Looking at it more, Parco actually could sneak into the best spot of the group, depending on his draw. I would still favor Henson over him and Van Ness could be a very tough obstacle, but 149 looks pretty open.

Still, if I had to pick best possible finishes(within reason) I would go:

125: Ayala-2nd with a less than 5% chance of winning it all. I like him a ton, but do not like the rumors about 125 being very tough to hold.
133: Peterson/Schriever-R12
141: Block-I have zero data to even guess at this one.
149: Parco-2nd Maybe a 2% chance at winning it all and probably much more likely 3rd-5th.
157: Teemer-1st(depending on who PSU puts here). I would go 10-20% chance at 1st with a solid 50-75% chance at top 3. If Haines stays at 157 or Mesenbrink ends up here, his chance go down to less than 1% to win it all.
165: Caliendo-1st Depending on who PSU puts here, I could legitimately put him as one of the top 5 favorites at any weight. I think he showed himself to be that good last year. With Carr, O'Toole and Mesenbrink out of the weight I think he is a significant favorite. If Haines ends up here, I think they would be 1A and 1B. If somehow Mesenbrink stays, his chances go down to single digits....
174: I could see any of the Brands/Arnold/Kennedy combo getting the right draw into the Finals, but I think O'Toole runs away with this weight. Brands probably has the best chance to make the Finals of the 3 with Arnold a close 2nd. Still, I would probably go with 3rd as the high end here so far.
184: I really hope it is Brands here. The other 2 could possibly sneak onto the podium, but I think Brands is the only one with enough size and firepower to handle this weight, unless Arnold has secretly been bulking up since he wrestled Plott. If Brands, I would say 2nd. If not low AA is about the high end.
197: Glazier showed a ton of heart, but also some significant limitations. With the right draw he could AA, but I still think he is most likely an R12 type guy.
285: Kueter is most likely battling Feldman and Schultz for mid-tier AA. I still think he is going to be a bit undersized for Kerkvliet and Hendrickson and still a bit raw for Bastida. I will say 4th for now.

Caliendo is probably the only real shot and that truly depends on what PSU hammer ends up at 165(if Teemer ends up being the guy at 157) As much as I would like that and even as good as this team looks, Teemer is probably the only other one with a decent shot and that also really hinges fully on whether or not 1 of the PSU hammers ends up at 157.

Ayala is probably the closest after that, but I don't see him being strong enough quite yet to pull it off at 133 and if 125 is that hard of a cut, I think Figs probably distances himself a bit next season.

Looking at it more, Parco actually could sneak into the best spot of the group, depending on his draw. I would still favor Henson over him and Van Ness could be a very tough obstacle, but 149 looks pretty open.

125: Ayala-2nd with a less than 5% chance of winning it all. I like him a ton, but do not like the rumors about 125 being very tough to hold.
149: Parco-2nd Maybe a 2% chance at winning it all and probably much more likely 3rd-5th.
157: Teemer-1st(depending on who PSU puts here). I would go 10-20% chance at 1st with a solid 50-75% chance at top 3. If Haines stays at 157 or Mesenbrink ends up here, his chance go down to less than 1% to win it all.
165: Caliendo-1st Depending on who PSU puts here, I could legitimately put him as one of the top 5 favorites at any weight. I think he showed himself to be that good last year. With Carr, O'Toole and Mesenbrink out of the weight I think he is a significant favorite. If Haines ends up here, I think they would be 1A and 1B. If somehow Mesenbrink stays, his chances go down to single digits....
174: I could see any of the Brands/Arnold/Kennedy combo getting the right draw into the Finals, but I think O'Toole runs away with this weight. Brands probably has the best chance to make the Finals of the 3 with Arnold a close 2nd. Still, I would probably go with 3rd as the high end here so far.
184: I really hope it is Brands here. The other 2 could possibly sneak onto the podium, but I think Brands is the only one with enough size and firepower to handle this weight, unless Arnold has secretly been bulking up since he wrestled Plott. If Brands, I would say 2nd. If not low AA is about the high end.
197: Glazier showed a ton of heart, but also some significant limitations. With the right draw he could AA, but I still think he is most likely an R12 type guy.
285: Kueter is most likely battling Feldman and Schultz for mid-tier AA. I still think he is going to be a bit undersized for Kerkvliet and Hendrickson and still a bit raw for Bastida. I will say 4th for now.
If Teemer comes, they'll have 3 starters ranked in the top 2 (I'm assuming Drake is at 125). Parco will be ranked top 5 and the 174 starter will likely be ranked top 5.

That's 5 top guys to start the year. Getting 1 to the top is not too much to expect. The fact that few of us expect it to happen is part of the problem. This is Iowa. With this talent, 1 champ *should* be disappointing.

Dang, you're being a bit hard on our most recent finalist in giving him only a 5% chance of winning it all. I'm thinking at least 20-30% chance based on last year's run...and that's with "rumors about 125 being very tough to hold."

Reactions: Spoons and sdvike
Dang, you're being a bit hard on our most recent finalist in giving him only a 5% chance of winning it all. I'm thinking at least 20-30% chance based on last year's run...and that's with "rumors about 125 being very tough to hold."
If Figs wasn't there I would agree with you. But, I think last year gave him a ton of confidence to go with his talent and he was already a brutal matchup for Drake. With a full go motor like Drake has had in the past, I would give him much better odds. But, the rumors make me think we will see him pacing himself much like last year and that just isn't conducive to him winning it all...

If Figs wasn't there I would agree with you. But, I think last year gave him a ton of confidence to go with his talent and he was already a brutal matchup for Drake. With a full go motor like Drake has had in the past, I would give him much better odds. But, the rumors make me think we will see him pacing himself much like last year and that just isn't conducive to him winning it all...
Hard to argue...you make good points.

Reactions: el dub
If Teemer comes, they'll have 3 starters ranked in the top 2 (I'm assuming Drake is at 125). Parco will be ranked top 5 and the 174 starter will likely be ranked top 5.

That's 5 top guys to start the year. Getting 1 to the top is not too much to expect. The fact that few of us expect it to happen is part of the problem. This is Iowa. With this talent, 1 champ *should* be disappointing.
In a bubble, you would be correct. However, they don't wrestle in a bubble. Outside of that bubble you have too look at who their actual competitors will be. When they are guys like Haines and Mesenbrink, whom have both dominated their Iowa counterparts, it simply is NOT fair to expect them to win simply because they are Iowa wrestlers. After that, even Ayala has Figs and Parco would have Henson and even Van Ness, who they both lost to somewhat convincingly.

Now, I do agree that expecting Iowa to have a National Champ is a realistic expectation. I just don't like it as a be all, end all approach if they only lose to returning NCAA Champs or someone as dominant as Mesenbrink was. So, I am much more open to re-visiting this mid to late season and seeing where these guys fit in. If Ayala is holding 125 with a strong and active gas tank, Caliendo is at 165 without Mesenbrink, Teemer is at 157 without Haines or Mesenbrink and Parco has no surprises with Henson, Van Ness and Lovett as his top competition, I would even go as far as wanting to see 2 NCAA Champs, with none being a truly indicting bust. But, that is a LOT of "ifs" that I don't see happening. We shall see...

Didn’t the freshman from West Virginia, at 49 pin Parco on the backside. Wouldn’t he be favored over Parc?

Didn’t the freshman from West Virginia, at 49 pin Parco on the backside. Wouldn’t he be favored over Parc?
I guess you could. I wouldn't argue against it. It's just that I don't put as much weight on last second backside bracket wins/pins/falls. Backside results are considerably harder to use to gauge future results. There are so many factors that could heavily influence results that most likely wouldn't be there in other circumstances.

Now, that isn't to say that Watters isn't better than Parco. He may very well prove that he is. I just am not ready to put him over a 4X AA based on that one match. Hopefully they run into each other during the regular season and we can get a much better assessment prior to NCAA's...

Reactions: Trapper85

Giving Ayala "a less than 5 percent chance of winning it all", is an all time bad take.

I guess you could. I wouldn't argue against it. It's just that I don't put as much weight on last second backside bracket wins/pins/falls. Backside results are considerably harder to use to gauge future results. There are so many factors that could heavily influence results that most likely wouldn't be there in other circumstances.
I agree, Ridge Lovett got spanked on the backside after being #1 all year and losing to the eventual champ 0-1.

He was so close. If Drake had on blue and white, Figs would have had to mix it up in the middle with a whole different kind of match. I'd think he is more 50/50 right now for champ at 126.
He just teched the 3rd placer on all takedowns two weeks ago. Would he be my pick? Not necessarily. But, Figs isn’t some freak he can’t hang with.

In a bubble, you would be correct. However, they don't wrestle in a bubble. Outside of that bubble you have too look at who their actual competitors will be. When they are guys like Haines and Mesenbrink, whom have both dominated their Iowa counterparts, it simply is NOT fair to expect them to win simply because they are Iowa wrestlers. After that, even Ayala has Figs and Parco would have Henson and even Van Ness, who they both lost to somewhat convincingly.

Now, I do agree that expecting Iowa to have a National Champ is a realistic expectation. I just don't like it as a be all, end all approach if they only lose to returning NCAA Champs or someone as dominant as Mesenbrink was. So, I am much more open to re-visiting this mid to late season and seeing where these guys fit in. If Ayala is holding 125 with a strong and active gas tank, Caliendo is at 165 without Mesenbrink, Teemer is at 157 without Haines or Mesenbrink and Parco has no surprises with Henson, Van Ness and Lovett as his top competition, I would even go as far as wanting to see 2 NCAA Champs, with none being a truly indicting bust. But, that is a LOT of "ifs" that I don't see happening. We shall see...
This is overly defeatist, imo.

It is fair to expect them to win because that's the mandate of the Iowa wrestling program. If they don't produce a champ, it means:

1) They failed to recruit wrestlers capable of winning a title

or

2) They failed to develop wrestlers who were capable of winning a title.

Not bringing home an individual title this year is a failure for the program and I'd bet Tom would tell you the same thing.

IF Drake gets back down and stays healthy it’s a 3 man show for the title. Figs, Ayala and Lilly(psu). I could easily see the loser at Bigs getting the 4 which COULD put Ayala up against Figs in the semis. Then again I have a lot of faith in Ayala at 133 also. Definitely feel he is easily top 5 at 133 but definitely top 3 at 125. Tough call for sure.

Reactions: el dub
Giving Ayala "a less than 5 percent chance of winning it all", is an all time bad take.
Sorry, but all the rumors swirling about his difficulty holding the weight are a big concern for me right now. To be fair, I did say that if he seems to be firing on all cylinders deep into the season, my stance would change considerably.

Simply put, he is at his best when he can push the pace and attack quickly and often. I am concerned he won’t be able to do that fighting the weight hard. Then, if he ends up having to go up the top couple guys at 133 are oxen. If he does go up, I hope he has already been acclimating his body to the weight so he can deal with the bigger, stronger guys at the weight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT