ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

no. i didn't 'act' like anything.

someone went after Little Rock recruits while at NCAA's. The day after NCAA's i did a segment on it. it's called topical.

and I KNOW there aren't any rules! read the effing thread. i just spent 6 pages defending Iowa on it.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
That is the case I originally referred to. The things I argued were “illegal” and, to me, skirted the rules, could be rendered moot once a decision is rendered.

So just so we’re clear, this is a non issue.

Many different schools train and develop NCAA Championship wrestlers. I guess you never watch too many NCAA Wrestling championships to know lots of other schools get the same results... individual champs. I guess I haven't seen Ped St go 10 for 10 lately.
Apparently the point to be difficult for someone as obtuse as you.

Obtuse - slow to understand.

hah I’m saying the wrestling community accused iowa of tampering with woods and it was bogus. maybe you were just the messenger
i think you're confused. nothing in what you posted has me saying anything about iowa tampering with Real (although, in case you live under a rock, they were certainly talking to him while he was still at Stanford.)

if you're saying that i was talking about Real 'schools are turning iowa in' tweets, you're wrong. it was two other schools.

Appreciate that, I hope Bob is around the program forever and if Tom wants a contract extension, I'd be happy if he got it.
Wow, We (Iowa) will NEVER catch up to Ped State with the current staff and mindset. The Brands's time has came and went and they're on the back nine of their 50's which is a massive deal in today's wrestling world. I give them a big thank you for giving us a good 5-7 year run after the Zalesky fiasco, but it's overdue to move on. Iowa has the resources, history, tradition, and "street cred" to still be a massive factor in 2024 and beyond but it's long overdue to pivot and make a change. In the business world, if your profits are flatlined or increasing by 3% or less a year you're canned. That's Tom and Terry. Time for a change.

So just so we’re clear, this is a non issue.
I never thought it was an actual enforceable issue. It’s so widespread there was no way they were ever going to be able to police it. Although I personally am not a fan of how NIL and recruiting/transfer portal go together, the only way you will end up with any uniformity would be for the court to decide to remove those restrictions.

The only problem is I think it would make it even harder for the little guys to survive and, in many sports, the little guys are already barely clinging to life support.

Yep you know that definition, you've got it in spades.
youare GIF

I know for a fact that Karl did this way before there ever was a portal. Just saying
If it’s that far in the past (pre portal) and you know for a fact, you should really lay all the facts out there. Karl can’t get hurt and you’ll get some board “cred” (Just saying).

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
I never thought it was an actual enforceable issue. It’s so widespread there was no way they were ever going to be able to police it. Although I personally am not a fan of how NIL and recruiting/transfer portal go together, the only way you will end up with any uniformity would be for the court to decide to remove those restrictions.

The only problem is I think it would make it even harder for the little guys to survive and, in many sports, the little guys are already barely clinging to life support.

Agree on the little guy. It’s happening in most sports.

Minnesota fans claimed Sanderson tampered with Nagao during the 2023 tourney.

Anything come of that?
I also know that OSU talked to Hamiti at NCAAs this year and OSU was assured he would flip before the tournament ended. I know for certain. As in, I was there - and not by happenstance but because it wasn't hidden or would bother the people that were around. And, Brayden Thompson came up and it wasn't a concern how he would handle the news because he just went 0-2 or something close to that. I say that because it was even discussed that 174 was the need, not the assumed weight that he was wrestling that actual weekend. I might be wrong but he might have entered the portal as a do not contact, which should add more credibility to the fact that he wasn't allowed to shop around, or the deal would be off.

I also know that this wouldn't be in Willie's interests to investigate and report on because, well, he does have a nice relationship with OSU. And for all the people on the OSU board who seem to think that Perry was the "bad guy" on that staff. He wasn't involved.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hlstone
I also know that OSU talked to Hamiti at NCAAs this year and OSU was assured he would flip before the tournament ended. I know for certain. As in, I was there - and not by happenstance but because it wasn't hidden or would bother the people that were around. And, Brayden Thompson came up and it wasn't a concern how he would handle the news because he just went 0-2 or something close to that. I say that because it was even discussed that 174 was the need, not the assumed weight that he was wrestling that actual weekend. I might be wrong but he might have entered the portal as a do not contact, which should add more credibility to the fact that he wasn't allowed to shop around, or the deal would be off.

I also know that this wouldn't be in Willie's interests to investigate and report on because, well, he does have a nice relationship with OSU. And for all the people on the OSU board who seem to think that Perry was the "bad guy" on that staff. He wasn't involved.

Perry is the "bad guy" for a host of reasons. lol. Just because he wasn't involved in these particular negotiations doesn't change that.

Reactions: tom_v31
All the info guys know a lot of the same scuttlebutt, but most of them just don't really discuss specifics unless it comes out from a direct source. The one guy who has no problem doing so is also the guy with the most issues with accuracy, and he happens to have a hard on for Iowa, so that's why Iowa stuff comes out but others not so much.

All the info guys know a lot of the same scuttlebutt, but most of them just don't really discuss specifics unless it comes out from a direct source. The one guy who has no problem doing so is also the guy with the most issues with accuracy, and he happens to have a hard on for Iowa, so that's why Iowa stuff comes out but others not so much.
Imagine any anti Iowa stuff garners these guys the most viewers/clicks.

It's a price we pay for haven't the largest fan base and most haters.

Ultimately, the transfer portal and NIL will kill college wrestling.

i think you're confused. nothing in what you posted has me saying anything about iowa tampering with Real (although, in case you live under a rock, they were certainly talking to him while he was still at Stanford.)
Rob Koll told me to my face (while in Detroit at Little Caesar's Arena) that "Real was being recruited on the competition floor". He didn't say it with a smile on his face. He also said that Real was the best athlete that he had ever coached.

Reactions: hlstone
Is there an easier place to recruit than the ncaa tourney? Be stupid for coaches to not make it known to their guys who they think is in play or wanted and to reach out. Hundreds of athletes running rampant, I’m sure it gives Karl a big ole chub

Rob Koll told me to my face (while in Detroit at Little Caesar's Arena) that "Real was being recruited on the competition floor". He didn't say it with a smile on his face. He also said that Real was the best athlete that he had ever coached.
Wasn't Real already in the portal at that point?

Koll has a hard on for Iowa.

Not exactly a well kept secret.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT