141: Ryan Jack
149: D’Emilio
157: Teemer, Ed Scott
165: Peyton Hall, Ramirez
174: Devos, Ruth, Pasiuk
184: Munoz, Salazar, David Key
197: Stephen Buchanan, Elam, Beard
285: Ghadiali
I took out the obvious people that weren’t transferring (Star, Keck, Kerk etc.)
Noto and Teemer would be nice.

Reactions: blcoach80
I am not sure, that’s just how I think it happens. I believe Iowa is just offering guys and seeing if it is enough for them to portal here. Willie brought up a good point that Iowa is doing a disservice by not spending the money because the donors will keep replenishing it. I wish they would spend it on HWC talent tho.
Maybe I'm especially slow this morning but isn't the bolded part illegal?

I would personally forget about portal money for any one or two-year transfers. Keep the money for the recruits and start building for the future. The money is not endless and you’re much better off getting a kid in early and keeping him and rebuilding for the long run as opposed to hiring out all these one and two year rentals that may or may not have had enough wrestling. And the next year or two you’re not catching Penn State anyway. But with this approach, maybe from year three on your right there at the top. If all that money is there that make Bassett, forest, Blaze , etc. offers they cannot refuse. Just one man’s opinion.

I would personally forget about portal money for any one or two-year transfers. Keep the money for the recruits and start building for the future. The money is not endless and you’re much better off getting a kid in early and keeping him and rebuilding for the long run as opposed to hiring out all these one and two year rentals that may or may not have had enough wrestling. And the next year or two you’re not catching Penn State anyway. But with this approach, maybe from year three on your right there at the top. If all that money is there that make Bassett, forest, Blaze , etc. offers they cannot refuse. Just one man’s opinion.
So far the money doesn’t seem to have the impact I thought it would. Maybe other schools are offering in the same ballpark? Is there a large contingent of young folks who don’t want to wrestle for TnT?

This is a STUPID thread, with STUPID people, proving what I have L O N G suspected, and that is MOST people are STUPID!!!

How, I mean HOW would ANY 125 NOT go to IOWA!??!?! You have to be STUPID!!!

HOW, I mean how in all HELL haven't the HAWKS made major strides into cutting the recruitment deficit? Are our coaches STUPID???

WHY, in 59 FRIGIN pages have we STILL NO answers to WHO is coming!??!? Are U all STUPID?????

NOW, get your STUPID heads, outa your STUPID asses, and start answering all the STUPID questions before I start kickin ALL your STUPID asses!!!!

This is a STUPID thread, with STUPID people, proving what I have L O N G suspected, and that is MOST people are STUPID!!!

HOW, I mean how in all HELL haven't the HAWKS made major strides into cutting the recruitment deficit? Are our coaches STUPID???

WHY, in 59 FRIGIN pages have we STILL NO answers to WHO is coming!??!? Are U all STUPID?????

NOW, get your STUPID heads, outa your STUPID asses, and start answering all the STUPID questions before I start kickin ALL your STUPID asses!!!!

Calm Down Golden Girls GIF by TV Land

The rumor is Ramos stayed at Purdue because he is guaranteed a job after he is finished wrestling.

I kind of agree with this. Take a lot of that money and let's start getting way better recruits than what we are now. You can still hit some portal guys but let's start getting top end recruits also.

Reactions: Fan In Black

What's STUPID is thinking we have any impact on who comes here or doesn't.
As to your first point, "how would any 125 not want to go to Iowa," most of us are saying the same thing which means it's indicative of a larger problem possibly at play... the answer to your question isn't the stupid people on those board, but more likely the people leading the program.

That would be great but unfortunately when your recruiting is lackluster you end up needing to patch holes via the portal and that takes $. Thank goodness it exists, we'd be hosed without it.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I agree for the most part, but I think they at least want to spend enough on transfers to be competitive for number 2 again. According to Willie, we need to look at this money like the federal government looks at our tax money. Use it or lose it that year it comes in, can’t bank it to build a bigger war chest for future recruits. The money will be almost bottomless every year. That blows my mind that coaches are expected to be as foolish with our donations as the government is with our tax money. I would think you could build it up, like an endowment, to be used in a year where there is tons of talent out there, like 2026 class.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Of course. However, we’re not in that position this season and there apparently IS more money available dtr. This is how we need to operate until we learn how to recruit better.

Yes, he did. He should start name checking the cesspool when he dives that deeply into the slop.
I beg your pardon sir! There is no finer source of wrestling information than the slop of the cesspool!

FWIW, wasn't my name that posted that.

That is a false dichotomy though. This is not an either / or type of situation. We need to use our resources to both secure new recruits and fill lineup holes with high level transfer portal guys.

This is a dumb idea. With everyone so far behind PSU, no rock should be unturned to stock the lineup with studs. Should transfers be the main or only strategy? Of course not.

I won't go into details, but the Iowa coaches absolutely DO NOT reach out directly to potential transfers.

The operative word is "directly." If you're not playing the backchannel game in college athletics today, you're doing it wrong.

Of course. However, we’re not in that position this season and there apparently IS more money available dtr. This is how we need to operate until we learn how to recruit better.
Exactly. If we aren't landing the big fish recruits consistently, might as well bring in and pay some portal guys in the interim and ideally showcase how much they improve in the room and have the type of results that catch top recruits eyes and make them feel comfortable the staff can help get them to the top.

Results/championships would sure help land the top young guys and utilizing portal guys while continuing to push on the recruiting side is another viable option to push to get back on top.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

If Iowa can become the top destination for portal guys, that helps to combat the inherent advantage Penn State has with their campus being smack dab in the middle of the best high school recruits and usually first dibs on the best due to many factors including geography and recent results.

Iowa doesn’t have the population to produce high school phenoms at the same rate consistently as Pennsylvania/East coast but if they can utilize guys that enter the college scene and see what kind of jump they make once they get in a college program, paying a bit of a premium if you have the funds available for the guys proven to produce AA’s/championships isn’t a terrible model to go along with the ongoing youth recruiting efforts.

It would even help soften the blow when a “sure thing” recruit just doesn’t make the same jump as quickly or drastically as others that may have been ranked lower coming in but developmentally hit warp speed in college or had a little more athleticism to work with (ie. Kennedy vs. Caliendo).

Wouldn't mind seeing them finish current contract and finish with another run then brining on the next big up and coming coach to pass the torch to while they stay connected to help transition like Gable did.

Could leverage the draw of a long tenured and well respected/consistent staff in conjunction with the excitement and future looking up and comer. Spencer is an obvious candidate but in a few years, who knows who the top coaching prospect will be or if he wants to go that route. The timing would be much more workable than when David Taylor entered the head coaching world with TnT still having plenty of gas in the tank and producing consistently high results to where a drastic change would be much more risky.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
So one random poster says Volk to Iowa and you go on ur podcast saying everyone on the Iowa board is saying Volk to Iowa?
Yeah that was bizarre. I would expect Mineo to run with a single unsubstantiated post from a random poster, not Willy. You only lose cred when you do that.

Regarding Basset, I remember a point when PSU and tOSU were supposedly the leaders (by said pundits) during Spencer’s recruitment for the same reasons as Basset. Brands was the ultimate reason SL chose the Hawks but he often spoke about the rock star status not only on campus but anywhere he goes in the state. And the electric atmosphere at Carver. Don’t underestimate the impact that can have on Bo’s interest. He’s a different cat and that’s where the Hawks have a big edge along with a state of the art training facility. The Flo guys have a better read on Bo than Willy does IMHO.

Plus it would lead to better team chemistry I would imagine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT