ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

When they first introduced the portal in 2018, it seemed like a good idea, but NIL turned it into a joke.

The portal serves little purpose if schools are contacting and negotiating with athletes before they enter.

When they first introduced the portal in 2018, it seemed like a good idea, but NIL turned it into a joke.

The portal serves little purpose if schools are contacting and negotiating with athletes before they enter.
I don’t hate the transfer portal but I think they need to make some changes. One time transfer unless coaching change or personal matter. (Actually monitored) I know there are some rules but don’t feel like looking. The portal has been pretty good to the hawks. NIL - different beast

Reactions: vhsalum
You are right AND wrong at the same time! RIGHT on your NCAA position. WRONG on the GREAT DJT!!! He has PRESIDENTIAL PRIVILEGE! Joe Bite Me did NOT as VP!!! HUGE difference and it will be PROVEN in TRUMPS favor AGAIN!!!!

Why should anybody have to put up with either of you and your political BS on a wrestling board? At least IB is always off his meds and you know he wont listen but you ask why we have to put up with this and then get political in your next F'N post. You are just as bad as he is because you cant help yourself either.

This is a STUPID thread, with STUPID people, proving what I have L O N G suspected, and that is MOST people are STUPID!!!

How, I mean HOW would ANY 125 NOT go to IOWA!??!?! You have to be STUPID!!!

HOW, I mean how in all HELL haven't the HAWKS made major strides into cutting the recruitment deficit? Are our coaches STUPID???

WHY, in 59 FRIGIN pages have we STILL NO answers to WHO is coming!??!? Are U all STUPID?????

NOW, get your STUPID heads, outa your STUPID asses, and start answering all the STUPID questions before I start kickin ALL your STUPID asses!!!!
It’s “ STOOPID”, now who’s stoopid? Some people’s kids I swear to god

I don’t hate the transfer portal but I think they need to make some changes. One time transfer unless coaching change or personal matter. (Actually monitored) I know there are some rules but don’t feel like looking. The portal has been pretty good to the hawks. NIL - different beast

Every time I get cranky about NIL and the portal, something happens to remind me why it was a one-sided situation. The Texas A&M baseball coach took that team to the CWS finals and gets asked about his future at A&M. He answered that he wanted to be there until he was done coaching. The next day, he goes to their hated rival in Texas.

Every time I get cranky about NIL and the portal, something happens to remind me why it was a one-sided situation. The Texas A&M baseball coach took that team to the CWS finals and gets asked about his future at A&M. He answered that he wanted to be there until he was done coaching. The next day, he goes to their hated rival in Texas.
So true. Coaches can do it…

Reactions: vhsalum
Yeah it’s a all a cluster

Correct. The NCAA could have headed all of this off at the pass. But they were so stuck on "amateurism" - even though they were operating as for-profit venture. This is America. Courts aren't going to see someone make money, then allow the "workers" to not be paid.

Had they just included scholarships as taxable, and allowed students to have TRUE NIL (sell t-shirts, get paid whatever someone is willing to pay them for camps, reimbursement for video game usage, jersey sales, etc) they could have had more control over this AND kept the donors giving to the coffers instead of the athletes.

Idiots.

So true. Coaches can do it…
Coaches have contracts and likely buyout clauses. They may also have other language built into a contract such as if this school comes calling.... When college athletes have contracts that bind them or make them pay financially when they leave, you can call it apples to apples. Until then it's just not.

where is this rule published?

if that's the case (it's not)

a lot of people are in trouble, including people associated with Iowa.

if i text Stephen Buchanan right now and asked if he was interested in Iowa, who is getting in trouble? me? iowa?
Willie, It's all in the NCAA manual. The recruiting rules that apply to coaches apply to all defined representatives.

13.02.15 Recruiting. Recruiting is any solicitation of a prospective student-athlete or a prospective student-athlete's family members by an institutional staff member or by a representative of the institution's athletics interests for the purpose of securing the prospective student-athlete's enrollment and ultimate participation in the institution's intercollegiate athletics program.

13.02.16 Representative of Athletics Interests. A "representative of the institution's athletics interests" is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00, 4/25/18)
(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student athletes;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their family members; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.

so if I (for instance, who has no association otherwise to the program) were to call Dean Hamiti and say "hey you should give John Smith a ring"

i would get in trouble? would OKST get in trouble?

if that's the case, there are many many programs who should buckle up.
No and No. That is why they work so hard to set up plausible and/or actual deniability. The coaches who organize these 3rd parties are the problem. It's been done this way far before NIL and the portal.

so if I (for instance, who has no association otherwise to the program) were to call Dean Hamiti and say "hey you should give John Smith a ring"

i would get in trouble? would OKST get in trouble?

if that's the case, there are many many programs who should buckle up.
It depends. If John called you and asked you to reach out to Dean, yes, that is an NCAA violation. If you did it because you thought it was a good fit, there is no violation unless you have donated to OSU's athletic dept or NIL coalition in the past.

Every student athlete is a representative for life and anyone who has donated to the university athletics program (Which includes recently added NIL Coalitions) is a representative for life.

It depends. If John called you and asked you to reach out to Dean, yes, that is an NCAA violation. If you did it because you thought it was a good fit, there is no violation unless you have donated to OSU's athletic dept or NIL coalition in the past.

Every student athlete is a representative for life and anyone who has donated to the university athletics program (Which includes recently added NIL Coalitions) is a representative for life.

As a big money donor, I just have my highly paid representative, who is not and has never been affiliated with my university, make the contact.

Problem solved.

I dont think the NCAA gives two shits about who's contacting who or when or even if a kid is in the portal when it comes to wrestling. I dont think they even care if schools drop their programs and it decimates the sport.

Thank you for clearly presenting the rules and adding some clarity. Coming from you it can be seen as more than "just trying to be argumentative".

Reactions: HawkeyeMass
Who claimed that they did and what does that have to do with anything?
With notable exceptions, they don't go to watch specific players either. Like Kelvin Bell said on a podcast a week or two back, without the University affiliation, watching college football would be like watching the River Bandits play the Tin Caps...

Reactions: el dub
With notable exceptions, they don't go to watch specific players either. Like Kelvin Bell said on a podcast a week or two back, without the University affiliation, watching college football would be like watching the River Bandits play the Tin Caps...
Pretty accurate - there has always been a very quick turnover in players/athletes even when most stayed for the four years. While certain athletes are certainly worth the price of admission, the school comes first for me.

Reactions: kkhawk
It depends. If John called you and asked you to reach out to Dean, (and the NCAA can prove it) yes, that is an NCAA violation. If you did it because you thought it was a good fit, there is no violation unless you have donated to OSU's athletic dept or NIL coalition in the past.
fixed it for ya.

unless and until there is one case in wrestling where the ncaa intervenes, 'having proxies call' is legal.

the rest is a semantics exercise (which is what this thread currently is)

i literally just got off the phone with the coach of the blueist of blue chippers telling me that he was cold called by someone very publicly connected to Iowa with a big offer.

fixed it for ya.

unless and until there is one case in wrestling where the ncaa intervenes, 'having proxies call' is legal.

i literally just got off the phone with the coach of the blueist of blue chippers telling me that he was cold called by someone very publicly connected to Iowa with a big offer.
Does the blue chipper rhyme with Mody Cerrill or Lee Dockett

fixed it for ya.

I hate that Vodka is being forced to investigate improprieties within the program he supports...

fixed it for ya.

Mad Max Reaction GIF

What is Nebraska and Penn State offering the Bluest Bluechip? Call that guy and get back to us, will ya?

Are we talking a knockoff Ferrari type offer? Or a Marinelli house offer?

"Who said anything about transfers?" Well nitwit, you did in your post #2054. Come on turd... at least know what you're talking about so you don't look quite as stupid..
U R STUPID!
Take this shit to an off topic thread.
Uh, was brought up and it is the most important thing in your life right now!
Why do we have to put up with this?
IDIOTS like you that is why!!!!
Alright I’m just going to ask because i really can’t tell. IRONBIRD, are your posts satire or is this really how you are?
100%
Why should anybody have to put up with either of you and your political BS on a wrestling board? At least IB is always off his meds and you know he wont listen but you ask why we have to put up with this and then get political in your next F'N post. You are just as bad as he is because you cant help yourself either.
uh, hmmmm, er, not sure who's side you are on???

Reactions: T8KUDWN
fixed it for ya.

Hell yes!!! F them other schools. SPEND THAT MONEY BABY!!

What is Nebraska and Penn State offering the Bluest Bluechip? Call that guy and get back to us, will ya?

Are we talking a knockoff Ferrari type offer? Or a Marinelli house offer?
What weight or weights do you think PSU is targeting with these offers?

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT