ADVERTISEMENT

* * * Penn St vs Iowa * * * BTT Basketball Game Thread

Originally posted by depelland:
Very ugly game......Hawks already have 7 TO's.
yes, are shooting poorly and not taking care of the ball. Physical and athletic and hungry PSU team. We are better of chucking up 3balls than turning I oe

Whats up with all the turnovers. i can only follow the ESPN gamecast. Is it full court pressure? Poor passes? Too much length for our PGs to handle?

Originally posted by youflog1hawk:
Ugly game because the refs are letting real physical play. That simple!
Calling the touch fouls, ignoring the muggings.

This is exactly the game we didn't want. Not shooting very well, not moving very well and PSU is staying close. We are going to have to pick up the pace and Jok, Uthoff and White better get going.

Eventually they're going to call Penn State for a push off foul, right? Part of their shot process seems to be to clear space with the off elbow.

Originally posted by BUCKSNDUCKS:
Let AW take control!!
Yes, whitey has showed up today. Olesani just fumbling and missing shots, but playing good defense. We need Uthoff, Jok, White to take more shots. So far doesn't look like Ogelsby or Gesell day.

Not able to watch, but everyone knows that Iowa struggles against physical situations so play the game until they call it. Call it good coaching by PSU to keep themselves in the game.

And now it sounds like we are struggling against the zone. Shame on Fran for not having that figured out. NW gave us two good opportunities to practice against that defense

Up 8 at half. Defense playing very well. How many blocks so far?

Clemmons needs to get his head out of his ass.

Iowa is dealing with how the game is being called really well, staying physical on the defensive end to match. Mighty good defense their by Uthoff to end the half. If the guards start hitting a few shots and that will be ballgame.

Originally posted by DutchyFunStar:

Whats up with all the turnovers. i can only follow the ESPN gamecast. Is it full court pressure? Poor passes? Too much length for our PGs to handle?
Hack and slash like a video game

It's just Penn States philosophy for this game be physical and more physical. They could easily have twice as many fouls as they do. Refs are not going to call all of the fouls.
It worked for the most part. Our shooting down and turnovers galore. I'm proud the Hawks have played good D which gave us the lead. Just keep the TO's down.

I will be so glad to get to NCAA games where officials will make the calls. The big ten better wake up because the officiating kill BIG teams outside the conference. Just effing pathetic!!

It was good to see us make a run there in the last couple minutes before half to stretch the lead. Clemmons and Gessell have been pretty terrible handling the ball today. Hopefully they both pick it up in the second half. Olaseni has bobbled several passes that were right in his hands, too. Just don't look very sharp all around so far.

Gotta keep Newbill in check in the second half. If Hawks keep playing same type of defense, we'll win.

huge end of 1st half block by JU

B_64gQBUgAAMDOU.png

The best thing I can say about that half was PSU will eventually run out of players or gas in the tank, officiating dependent.

Originally posted by youflog1hawk:
It's just Penn States philosophy for this game be physical and more physical. They could easily have twice as many fouls as they do. Refs are not going to call all of the fouls.
It worked for the most part. Our shooting down and turnovers galore. I'm proud the Hawks have played good D which gave us the lead. Just keep the TO's down.
This is true, those disgusting Fuskers were speaking about this just a couple of days ago when they played PSU. Penn State is the reason this game looks so ugly. The refs of course aren't helping though.

Originally posted by Red87:
PSU was whistled for 9 fouls and Iowa has already shot 14 FT's to 6 fouls and 8 FT's for PSU. I'd say the refs are calling the fouls well enough or perhaps PSU has a bit of a gripe if anything.
Why? Do you think that teams foul evenly and style of play has no role in amount of fouls called?

PSU was whistled for 9 fouls and Iowa has already shot 14 FT's to 6 fouls and 8 FT's for PSU. I'd say the refs are calling the fouls well enough or perhaps PSU has a bit of a gripe if anything.
Man, you are dumb as hell about basketball for someone from indiana. Teams that drive and feed the bigs a lot in the post are going to get to the line more often no matter what. Good luck in the NIT, by the way.

This post was edited on 3/12 2:29 PM by BeepBeepInMyJeep

I'm saying the sentiment
Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Why? Do you think that teams foul evenly and style of play has no role in amount of fouls called?
No, I'm saying the sentiment on here seems to be that the officials are letting it get physical and aren't calling enough fouls. I would argue that this has benefited Iowa more than PSU. PSU could have a beef on a couple non-fouls called around the rim. Iowa plays aggressively on D as well and has gotten by with it relatively well so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT