ADVERTISEMENT

Players met w/ Media. Iowa Offense will be Version of Kyle Shanahan's Offense w/ Lots of Motion & RPOs. "There's a lot more confusion" for the Defense

So the interviews were with a bunch of defensive guys? What did or does the offense side have to say?

Iowa still has the same players on the offensive side of the ball that they did last year. You expect improvement because of scheme?

So the interviews were with a bunch of defensive guys? What did or does the offense side have to say?

Iowa still has the same players on the offensive side of the ball that they did last year. You expect improvement because of scheme?
Some improvement yes. How much depends on how good the scheme is, and how good the talent we have on offense.

If nothing else, it'll say alot about how much of the broken offense was due to talent, and how much was the scheme.

guessing offensive players will be made available at the next media availability

Reactions: sober_teacher

I sure as fvck hope there is improvement due to scheme. I also expect the bathroom to smell better when I flush the toilet.

Yes. Scheme will help. We still have talent gaps on offense no doubt. But no doubt a scheme change can/ will help.

Can’t get any worse offensively than the last two years right?!?!?
Nobody answer that!!!……
But seriously can it get any worse?!?!?
Well you asked the question then said dont answer it but then you asked it again. The answer is no that our ranking cant get worse but our output actually could.

But I dont think it will as long as we have a QB who can throw the ball on the receivers. I think Lester will scheme receivers open whether short medium or long. I think he somewhat spreads the defense and opens up the running game

The players need a chance to perform, and that's what an effective scheme can do.

I been amazed (bewildered actually) at how many times an Iowa running back is tackled by 6 or 7 guys, most of them just waiting for the RB to arrive. Bad blocking? Yeah, but how many guys can the OL effectively block?

The WR's are smothered downfield. Bad WR's? Maybe, but when the defense knows what you are going to do it's pretty hard to get open.

We'll have to wait and see, It might be the same results, but at the very least it's not going to be the same offense.

Last edited:
Some improvement yes. How much depends on how good the scheme is, and how good the talent we have on offense.

If nothing else, it'll say alot about how much of the broken offense was due to talent, and how much was the scheme.
The scheme sure didn't help the talent. I was hard on Petras,but what if he lights it up at Nevada. Defenses were able to just stack the box and rush at will.

The players need a chance to perform, and that's what an effective scheme can do.

I been amazed (bewildered actually) at how many times an Iowa running back is tackled by 6 or 7 guys, most of them just waiting for the RB to arrive. Bad blocking? Yeah, but how many guys can the OL effectively block?

The WR's are smothered downfield. Bad WR's? Maybe, but when the defense knows what you are going to do it's pretty hard to get open.

We'll have to wait and see, It might be the same results, but at the very least it's not going to be the offense.
To put it simply, and I’ve had this conversation several times.

There is just no way all of our offensive players are that bad.

To put it simply, and I’ve had this conversation several times.

There is just no way all of our offensive players are that bad.
Agreed. If nothing else, it defies logic that we could regularly hit on recruits for defense and special teams but not for offense.

Most of our recruits the last few years have had solid offer lists, recruiting rankings etc. you can expect to miss on some, but as many as it would have to be for the talent level to be that low?

Absolutely expect improvement with a scheme change. Play to the strengths of your players, much easier to accommodate with a new coach. The Ferentzs (I have no idea how to make that plural) were determined to run their offense regardless of personnel.

About ****ing time.

I don’t know which lacked movement the most: pre-snap motion in Brian’s offense or Deacon Hill in the pocket.

Other than the TE backing up and going in super slo-mo across the LOS, was there ever any noticeable pre-snap movement in Brian’s offense? I honestly don’t remember.
The best part of a motion in Brian's offense is ideally it tips man v zone, but the play call was built to benefit neither. It only made the stretch run direction that much more noticeable.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Absolutely expect improvement with a scheme change. Play to the strengths of your players, much easier to accommodate with a new coach. The Ferentzs (I have no idea how to make that plural) were determined to run their offense regardless of personnel.
I also think Brian just didn't have the experience needed to be able to conceive potential changes. All he had was a couple of years as TE coach with the Patriots, then the time he had under Greg Davis. I think he's probably a smart guy, and the hope was that he could rise to the challenge, but he just didn't have the breadth of experience to be able to do so.

Contrast that to Tim Lester, who came with a notebook full of hundreds of pages of offensive plays, experience running offenses at multiple schools, and a sabbatical with the Packers. The contrast in experience is staggering.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT