ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Replacement if Fran leaves

Dec 8, 2023
Will Wade is the best coach on the market and should be the first call if Fran were to leave. He is a proven winner anywhere he goes and will bring elite talent with him. Don’t hire a mediocre mid major coach and give Wade a strong *** offer he can’t turn down.

Reactions: Underscore2
Will Wade is the best coach on the market and should be the first call if Fran were to leave. He is a proven winner anywhere he goes and will bring elite talent with him. Don’t hire a mediocre mid major coach and give Wade a strong *** offer he can’t turn down.
Where does he currently coach?

The ‘ol “next year” comment never gets old.

Keep letting the years pass, Hawk fans. Patience! 🤣
14 years. A whole entire 4 NCAA tournament wins. Just have patience folks.

After all, it's not as if he's had a national player of the year to rely on....

Err...well it's not like he's had a record-setting 3-point shooter at his dispos......

Ummm.....well.....he certainly hasn't had an NBA lottery pick and another first round NBA selection in back to back yea......

Uhhhh...............just need some guard talent. Yeah. That's it. Another 14 years should do the trick.

14 years. A whole entire 4 NCAA tournament wins. Just have patience folks.

After all, it's not as if he's had a national player of the year to rely on....

Err...well it's not like he's had a record-setting 3-point shooter at his dispos......

Ummm.....well.....he certainly hasn't had an NBA lottery pick and another first round NBA selection in back to back yea......

Uhhhh...............just need some guard talent. Yeah. That's it. Another 14 years should do the trick.
Losing the forest for the trees here. The past ten years of Iowa basketball have been awesome. Tons of great memories. They underachieved for sure, but I wouldn't go back and trade them. That said, he's getting up there in age and the team is not on an upslope. Sometimes the story writes itself.

Fran is not leaving. How much is his buyout? No way he leaves millions on the table.

Never heard of him.

Losing the forest for the trees here. The past ten years of Iowa basketball have been awesome. Tons of great memories. They underachieved for sure, but I wouldn't go back and trade them. That said, he's getting up there in age and the team is not on an upslope. Sometimes the story writes itself.
With the lack of success in the tourney, there is certainly NOT a ton of great memories.

A bunch of just ho-hum seasons blended together.

I want a guy who will consistently bring in more athletic guards. And who considers the defensive end of the court to be important. Maybe not 50-50, but something more like 60 offense-40 defense. Not 95-5 as it is now.
Maximum of 2 lanky, slow footed perimeter shooters on the roster per season.
Find that coach and you've got my interest.

• Love
Reactions: BirdistheWord
With the lack of success in the tourney, there is certainly NOT a ton of great memories.

A bunch of just ho-hum seasons blended together.
This has come up many times. The group of fans who defends Fran for his team's regular season play and those of us who point to the dismal NCAA tourney performance. I'm unapologetically in the NCAA camp. If I'm prioritizing coaching performance metrics, NCAA tourney results outpace everything else.
There have certainly been highlight games in the regular season. The lack of any significant NCAA tourney performance in 14 years overshadows that.

It's a serious shortcoming not to see the good that has been Iowa basketball over the past 14 years. Good wins, good guys, good basketball players and beating the "experts" in terms of BIG ranking almost every year. It has been disappointing the NCAA problems and, in hindsight, I wish we could have avoided the boys but we couldn't. Moving forward, I'm seeing a better looking recruiting idea and not having family on the team, I think helps. It was a bad loss last nite, not the first one and not the last one. I personally think Fran might walk away after the year, if he doesn't I like the idea of him coaching and I'm excited to see Iowa basketball over the next couple of years.

Lone Tree native Steve Forbes, current head coach at Wake Forest.

Currently 13-6 overall, 5-3 ACC.

19-14 last year, 10-10 ACC.

Beating Duke and North Carolina, which Wake Forest did last year, is a little different than beating Bradley, Southern Illinois, and UNI. Nothing against DeVries. He has done a great job.

Forbes is a high major guy with good juco ties, and can get players.

No brainer. He would say yes to come back to Iowa because he grew up idolizing Lute.

1989–1991Southwestern CC - Creston, IA (assistant)
1991–1993Southwestern CC- Creston, IA
1993–1995Barton County CC (assistant)
1995–1998Barton County CC
1998–2000Idaho (assistant)
2000–2003Louisiana Tech (assistant)
2003–2004Illinois State (assistant)
2004–2006Texas A&M (assistant)
2006–2011Tennessee (assistant)
2011–2013Northwest Florida State (JUCO National Runner-Up 2x)
2013–2015Wichita State (assistant) (30-9, 35-1)
2015–2020East Tennessee State Head Coach (2 NCAA tournament teams)
2020–presentWake Forest

Forbes was named the ACC Coach of the Year for 2021-22

2020–21Wake Forest6–163–1514th
2021–22Wake Forest25–1013–75thNIT Quarterfinals
2022–23Wake Forest19–1410–10T–8th
2023–24Wake Forest13–65–3
Wake Forest:63–46 (.578)31–35 (.470)

Last edited:
Reactions: skydog0784
The Forbes hire would be the first hiring of a current Power 5 coach since Tom Davis.

Davis - PAC 10, Stanford
Alford - MVC, Missouri State
Lickliter - Horizon, Butler
Fran - MAAC, Sienna

Forbes - ACC, Wake Forest

$ - B1G > ACC
Academic Standards: Wake Forest > Iowa
State of North Carolina: Duke, North Carolina, NC State > Wake Forest
State of Iowa: Either Iowa or Iowa State

Time to bring Steve Forbes home.

Matt Woodley is an assistant at Wake Forest, and a defensive guru. Assistant for Virginia coach Tony Bennett when they were at Washington State. Woodley is an Iowa guy with great experience.

Former Hawk Jason Shay of Galesburg, IL is also an assistant for Wake Forest.

Last edited:
Tom Davis says hold my beer to Fran.

Iowa could have beaten UCONN (national champions) in the tourney his last year.

Iowa deserves better.

Devries absolutely would be a great hire.

He can hire a good recruiter. Game on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT