ADVERTISEMENT

PSU roster updated

It’s obvious to give Bo the number one spot at 197 and I could be off here but, to me Rasheed could very well lose to a number of the top 10 guys including $$$. I see Martin,Preisch,Zavatski,Dean,Parker,Reenen,Venz and Cash All as very tough outs for Rasheed. And although I put Bo as the favorite at 197 I would not count out Warnerov just yet and I can see a guys like Darmstead and Miklus giving him all he wants this season. IMHO they are weaker so I’m good with it let’s Rumble.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I agree with everything you said, I was simply explaining to PSU fans why non PSU fans are not big Nickal fans. (I may enjoy Nickelback more than Bo Nickal and that’s not a lot). I love Gilman but understand that Minnesota fans probably hated him when he got in their teams pre-match huddle to talk shit. Probably stung even more when he broke Lizak and pinned him. I loved however when he commended Lizak for trying to beat him and not running from him. Gman probably comes off as an ahole to non Iowa fans and Nickal comes off a meathead to non PSU fans. At least Gman is witty though.

Every team needs a black hat on the mat. I loved Gilman's antics just like I loved Bo's over the top speach. What they have in common is that they are good guys in real life. It's good theater and its good for the sport.

It’s obvious to give Bo the number one spot at 197 and I could be off here but, to me Rasheed could very well lose to a number of the top 10 guys including $$$. I see Martin,Preisch,Zavatski,Dean,Parker,Reenen,Venz and Cash All as very tough outs for Rasheed. And although I put Bo as the favorite at 197 I would not count out Warnerov just yet and I can see a guys like Darmstead and Miklus giving him all he wants this season. IMHO they are weaker so I’m good with it let’s Rumble.

Miklus is gonna give Nickal “all he wants”?? Maybe... If all Bo wants is a pinfall.

Cash is a tough out for Rasheed?

Hmmmm, Conel wrestled a ton of studs during the season and didn't beat any of them, hence he was unseeded at NCAAs. He upset the #9 seed Weigel (Okie St) #8 seed Rotert SDSU, pinned the #1 seed Kolin Moore (tOSU). He got stuck by the eventual champ, then beat Holschlag (UNI) and Moore again to place third. Dude had a tough road to podium. A healthy Preston Weigel wipes the mat with him, but a healthy Weigel wouldn't have been seeded #9.

Crazy Eyes will be an interesting psychological experiment this season. IIRC, he attributed his Nationals performance to a switch going off, where he simply adopted an apprpach of "Eff it, I'm just going to throw people."

While effective in the short term (and quite entertaining), it isn't really a sustainable approach unless there is other stuff in the arsenal to keep guys honest. As we all know, good scouting almost always beats one-trick ponies.

As noted by others, Conel will be right back into the fire coming out of the gates in November. What approach does he take, and how will the results influence his approach through the season?

Potential scenarios:

(A) Come out guns blazing, knock off a couple of studs (or come really close). The "throw people" philosophy is thus reinforced, providing more incentive to stick with it each and every match. The competition starts figuring it out by midseason, and by tournament time, the wheels come off completely. Big Fizzle.

(B) Come out guns blazing, take some hard lumps early against guys who already know how to avoid the toss. Enthusiasm takes an early hit, and then performance. Long, painful fizzle. Ready for pasture before the postseason tournaments even arrive.

(C) Take the regular season in stride, work on stuff to perfect the supporting material. Sure, try 95% to win every match, but hold a little bit back, saving Crazy Eyes for the postseason tournaments. Eyes on the Prize. Beware The Eyes of March.

I'm very eager to see his approach in November. I hope strategy C is employed, and he has success again.

Reactions: andegre
Hmmmm, Conel wrestled a ton of studs during the season and didn't beat any of them, hence he was unseeded at NCAAs. He upset the #9 seed Weigel (Okie St) #8 seed Rotert SDSU, pinned the #1 seed Kolin Moore (tOSU). He got stuck by the eventual champ, then beat Holschlag (UNI) and Moore again to place third. Dude had a tough road to podium. A healthy Preston Weigel wipes the mat with him, but a healthy Weigel wouldn't have been seeded #9.
Weren't all of those other studs healthy at NCAA's?

How I see the changes impacting iowa:
184: tbd, I think psu would finish higher than $ either way but if $ turns out to be much stronger at 184 then this has the potential to be better for Iowa. But I think rasheed will also be better at 184 than 197

197: worse for Iowa. Imo this likely knocks Warner down one spot at nationals... anything can happen but bo should be favorite and I think Warner would have beaten rasheed.

285: doesn't affect iowa... assuming Sam is ready to go (I have not been keeping up with his gunshot status this offseason) this should be the same. Neville will probably win the wrestle off but if he doesnt then Cassar is better than I thought, will be a tough match but stoll can win (and will need to for Iowa to have a shot at title)

Overall this makes psu a stronger team in my opinion. Assuming bo is ready to make the jump up this was a smart move by Carl

I could be way off on this but didn't Warner just compete at around 190 pounds for freestyle? I know he is probably on his way up but I would say a weight advantage isn't there. It will be interesting what both of their non cut weight will be this season. It would be nice to have Warner walking around at about 210 215.

I could be way off on this but didn't Warner just compete at around 190 pounds for freestyle? I know he is probably on his way up but I would say a weight advantage isn't there. It will be interesting what both of their non cut weight will be this season. It would be nice to have Warner walking around at about 210 215.

No. He is wrestling 92KG which is around 203.

Hopefully with more food in his belly he won’t give such stupid interviews.

No, pretty sure he didn't
No I said Cash I like Bowman but you guys are underestimating what Cash cqn do at 184 in my eyes if he lets the fur Fly he is capable of a mid to high AA spot. Bowman could very well win the spot if he has taken a jump during the off season with another year under his belt. If so I would feel the same about Bowman. Cash could very well make a large jump this year down at his correct weight.
Miklus is gonna give Nickal “all he wants”?? Maybe... If all Bo wants is a pinfall.
I simply think his competition at 197 is better on a hole compared to 184, maybe he runs through 197 also but I think some of his funk may not be as effective. This is my opinion I guess we will see in the next few months. Why dont you let me know how things will fair

Reactions: T8KUDWN
No I said Cash I like Bowman but you guys are underestimating what Cash cqn do at 184 in my eyes if he lets the fur Fly he is capable of a mid to high AA spot. Bowman could very well win the spot if he has taken a jump during the off season with another year under his belt. If so I would feel the same about Bowman. Cash could very well make a large jump this year down at his correct weight.

I simply think his competition at 197 is better on a hole compared to 184, maybe he runs through 197 also but I think some of his funk may not be as effective. This is my opinion I guess we will see in the next few months. Why dont you let me know how things will fair
I'm agreeing with ya Grip. Definitely think Cash will be the man at 84 for us and we'll see a quicker, stronger, more explosive wrestler then what we saw at 97. I'm in the camp that believes we're gonna see good things from him the next 2 years

Reactions: Grip220
There goes the Zahid to 184 thing right out the window now. The guy who is smiling right now? Myles Martin. Guy who isn't smiling? Moore.

So let's update the PSU thing, as I understand it right now
125-Teasdale. (I got him ranked 14th)
133-RBY (I got him ranked 15th)
141-Nick Lee (I got him ranked 4th)
149-Berge (I got him ranked about 7th)
157-Nolf (1)
165-Cenzon (1)
174-Hall (2)
184-Shak (I got him ranked around 6th)
197-Bo (1)
285-Cassar or Nevills (both around 5th to 8th)

Pretty sure I just did... Barring injury or miracle, Bo Nickal is a 3x NCAA champion. All we, or any other non-PSU fan can do cross our fingers. The proof is in the pudding... Anyone thinking otherwise is just blindly wishing.

Pretty sure I just did... Barring injury or miracle, Bo Nickal is a 3x NCAA champion. All we, or any other non-PSU fan can do cross our fingers. The proof is in the pudding... Anyone thinking otherwise is just blindly wishing.
Nickal will roll through 197 like a hot knife through butter, Conel included. It's the last thing Ryan wanted, but for Iowa, it opens up Wilcke's chances at 184, and knocks Ohio State down a notch in the team race. Nickal's move to 97 is a benefit to Iowa, and a blow to Ohio State, overall.

Reactions: Gobblin
Not sure it's fair to say Bo is better than NaTo. Over the past three seasons NaTo has lost a total of only 4 matches.

2 to Spencer Lee
1 to World silver medalist Gilman
1 to Clark who was a tougher collegiate wrestler than Gilman.

He had wins over Lee and Clark during that same period as well as multiple other studs like Zane Richards, Stevan Micac and Ethan Lizak.

Myles Martin is a good opponent but he's not on the same level as Lee, Gilman or Clark. Sam Brooks destroyed Martin twice.
Martin is a three time AA, two time finalist with one championship. Going into his senior year that puts him ahead of Gilman and Clark.

NaTo was a damn good college wrestler. At the end of this year Bo is a 2, 1, 1, 1. Objectively it isn't all that close.

Reactions: crablegs1
Nickal will roll through 197 like a hot knife through butter, Conel included. It's the last thing Ryan wanted, but for Iowa, it opens up Wilcke's chances at 184, and knocks Ohio State down a notch in the team race. Nickal's move to 97 is a benefit to Iowa, and a blow to Ohio State, overall.
Not really sure where you see an Iowa advantage.
From my perspective Rasheed probably finishes ahead of Warner, but most Hawk fans believe Warner finishes ahead Rasheed.

At 184 Bo finishes ahead of Wilke, and Rasheed looked superior to Wilke at 97 so little reason to believe Rasheed doesn't finish ahead of Wilke at 184.

From a Penn State fan's point of view in a PSU Iowa comparison this is a push. From an Iowa fan's point of view this is a net loss.

Not really sure where you see an Iowa advantage.
From my perspective Rasheed probably finishes ahead of Warner, but most Hawk fans believe Warner finishes ahead Rasheed.

At 184 Bo finishes ahead of Wilke, and Rasheed looked superior to Wilke at 97 so little reason to believe Rasheed doesn't finish ahead of Wilke at 184.

From a Penn State fan's point of view in a PSU Iowa comparison this is a push. From an Iowa fan's point of view this is a net loss.
Mark my words by the end of this season Warner will be at the level to kick Rasheed Arse. Bo is another level and is the clear favorite. But look out for our young Russian

Mark my words by the end of this season Warner will be at the level to kick Rasheed Arse. Bo is another level and is the clear favorite. But look out for our young Russian
With Rasheed at 184 it doesn't make any difference if Warner can or can not kick Rasheed's ass?
With the weight switch, from your perspective you fall farther behind Penn State.

Martin is a three time AA, two time finalist with one championship. Going into his senior year that puts him ahead of Gilman and Clark.

NaTo was a damn good college wrestler. At the end of this year Bo is a 2, 1, 1, 1. Objectively it isn't all that close.

Comparing final placement across different weight classes is anecdotal. 125 and 133 have been brutal the past few seasons.

Martin has 18 career losses in 3 seasons. Go look at the year he won the championship. I would argue no finalist ever had an easier path to the finals. His 2nd round, quarter and semi final opponents had 13, 13 and 11 losses that season. The year after winning the championship Martin was manhandled at Nationals by Emery Parker and Sam Brooks (for the 3rd consecutive time that season). By contrast when Clark won the championship, he had to go through Micic and NaTo just to get to the finals against Gross. Apples and oranges.

Career records
Nikal: 105-5; 95% win rate
NaTo: 121-8; 94% win rate
Gilman: 107-12; 90% win rate
Clark: 98-15; 87% win rate
Myles Martin: 96-18; 84% win rate

So yes, objectively NaTo is on par with Nickal while Martin is certainly not better than Clark/Gilman.

Last edited:
I'm agreeing with ya Grip. Definitely think Cash will be the man at 84 for us and we'll see a quicker, stronger, more explosive wrestler then what we saw at 97. I'm in the camp that believes we're gonna see good things from him the next 2 years
I agree that Willke is upside this year for you guys. Has shown flashes in the past, and guts. Not sure of the ceiling and it will be hard to actually measure it given your schedule, but I do think he’ll have a net positive contribution relative to expectations

Comparing final placement across different weight classes is anecdotal. 125 and 133 have been brutal the past few seasons.

Martin has 18 career losses in 3 seasons. Go look at the year he won the championship. I would argue no finalist ever had an easier path to the finals. His 2nd round, quarter and semi final opponents had 13, 13 and 11 losses that season. The year after winning the championship Martin was manhandled at Nationals by Emery Parker and Sam Brooks (for the 3rd consecutive time that season). By contrast when Clark won the championship, he had to go through Micic and NaTo just to get to the finals against Gross. Apples and oranges.

Career records

So yes, objectively NaTo is on par with Nickal while Martin is certainly not better than Clark/Gilman.
And, also objectively, 2, 1, 1, 1 is better than 1, 3, 3, 3.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Career records

Do you have their NCAA team points per year? It’s just another way to look at things. No doubt the Hawks owning NaTo was an amazing accomplishment.

And did you sneak RS results in there?

Last edited:
Do you have their NCAA team points per year? It’s just another way to look at things. No doubt the Hawks owning NaTo was an amazing accomplishment.
NATO - 24.5 (1st), 17 (3rd), 15.5 (3rd), 20.5 (3rd); total = 77.5

Gilman - 15.5 (4th), 21.5 (2nd), 17.5 (3rd); total = 54.5

Clark - 11.5 (5th), 17 (2nd), 17 (2nd), 20 (champ); total = 65.5

Martin - 21 (champ), 13.5 (5th), 18.5 (2nd); total = 53 (so far)

Nickal - 18 (2nd), 27.5 (champ), 23 (champ); total = 68.5 (so far)

Career records

Gabe Dean. If that isn't enough, look at bonus %. Comparing NaTo to Nickal is silly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT