ADVERTISEMENT

Question of the Day for Iowa FB........

Feb 25, 2008
Are we done feeling sorry for ourselves (and yes we/they are.......deal with it), or is this where the dam breaks for the defense and this season effectively ends today (even if we managed to pick up another atta boy, pat yourself on the back "feel better" win or two) after a loss to Illinois?

Unfortunately, that is being left entirely, and ONLY, up to our coaching staff and players to decide..........

I feel a loss today and the season is in the crapper. A win with some, SOME sort of visual improvement on the offensive side will give me some small amount of hope that we can have a decent season. A win where the defense scores more than the offense well ……???

Unfortunately, that is being left entirely, and ONLY, up to our coaching staff and players to decide..........
As opposed to when the fans get a say? 😏

Look, there’s a lot of stupid narratives out there about Kirk and his motivation (or lack thereof) to make winning decisions, but the bottom line is the offense is trash for a lot of reasons. And while I believe Kirk is motivated to improve the offense, I don’t think he has the know-how. On top of that, Iowa has too many kids on the OL pressed in to duty because of past recruiting failures and evidently has no one on the bench who can elevate the quarterback position from absolute trash to at least below average.

The point? Even if Kirk wanted to right now, there’s really nothing he can do to bring about meaningful change to the offense. That time was the offseason, and instead of hitting the portal or bringing in an actual quarterback coach or demoting Brian to OL coach and bringing in a real OC, Kirk did nothing. Whether it was due to arrogance, stubbornness, cluelessness, or some combination of the three is anyone’s guess, but the bottom line is Kirk knew the offense was bad and he chose to do nothing outside of BAU.

The results speak for themselves.

Look, there’s a lot of stupid narratives out there about Kirk and his motivation (or lack thereof) to make winning decisions, but the bottom line is the offense is trash for a lot of reasons. And while I believe Kirk is motivated to improve the offense, I don’t think he has the know-how. On top of that, Iowa has too many kids on the OL pressed in to duty because of past recruiting failures and evidently has no one on the bench who can elevate the quarterback position from absolute trash to at least below average.

The point? Even if Kirk wanted to right now, there’s really nothing he can do to bring about meaningful change to the offense. That time was the offseason, and instead of hitting the portal or bringing in an actual quarterback coach or demoting Brian to OL coach and bringing in a real OC, Kirk did nothing. Whether it was due to arrogance, stubbornness, cluelessness, or some combination of the three is anyone’s guess, but the bottom line is Kirk knew the offense was bad and he chose to do nothing outside of BAU.

How dare you be level headed….My opinion is he needs to try different qb’s for several series. Even if he knows they are (gasp) worse than SP. I might spark the rest of the team…?

Unfortunately, its hard to argue with any of that. For numerous reasons , this thing has gotten away from the captain, and it remains to be seen whether or not he can right the ship. I do agree though that fans who think he doesn't care, or that he'd lose just to spite them, are delusional.....

How dare you be level headed….My opinion is he needs to try different qb’s for several series. Even if he knows they are (gasp) worse than SP. I might spark the rest of the team…?
I agree experimenting with different quarterbacks should have occurred after the first quarter of the SDSU game. It’s absolutely head-scratching to me that a guy who believes in running back by committee cringes at the thought of playing more than one quarterback. I don’t get it.

With that said, I don’t buy the narrative that Kirk plays Petras as a middle finger to the fans. I think Kirk genuinely believes Petras gives Iowa the best chance to be successful. Whether that is or isn’t true can be debated, but, in my view, is beside the point. The fact is we’ve talked about poor quarterback play for a long time, and I think the Iowa system is more to blame than anything else. Don’t get me wrong, Petras performs poorly because of the mental aspect of the game, but at some point it becomes a matter of a common denominator.

I agree experimenting with different quarterbacks should have occurred after the first quarter of the SDSU game. It’s absolutely head-scratching to me that a guy who believes in running back by committee cringes at the thought of playing more than one quarterback. I don’t get it.

With that said, I don’t buy the narrative that Kirk plays Petras as a middle finger to the fans. I think Kirk genuinely believes Petras gives Iowa the best chance to be successful. Whether that is or isn’t true can be debated, but, in my view, is beside the point. The fact is we’ve talked about poor quarterback play for a long time, and I think the Iowa system is more to blame than anything else. Don’t get me wrong, Petras performs poorly because of the mental aspect of the game, but at some point it becomes a matter of a common denominator.
Seriously, it takes a total narcissist to think that a D1 football coach is making decisions just to spite the fans.....

If KF doesn't do exactly this, he should be fired imo.
He's done a lot and he's created many great memories for us all, but his time is up if he doesn't do exactly as you suggest. A transfer qb and OL is a must, same with firing or demoting bf to ol coach. It's unbelievable that our "best qb" is one of the worst starters in the country and he decided not to get a transfer qb!! Flat out insane.

He's well on his way into turning the program into what it was when he started. People can call me crazy and say "but 10 wins last year"....go right ahead. We also had ONE b1g win vs a team that had a winning conf record. We couldn't score more than 2 td on offense again many mediocre teams in our final 8 or so games....could barely even beat the mediocre teams. If the same offense continues this year and is allowed to continue next year, recruiting will be DEAD on offense and even defense will be hurt.

Fortunately, I’m relying on the link below to take me to the oasis of Fall Festivals to distract me from the infected, pus riddled vaginal wart that is Iowa offense. If I choose to watch shit offense, knowing it’s shit offense, I cant complain when all I see is shit offense. I think Immanuel Kant said that.
https://www.funtober.com/festivals/iowa/

Fortunately, I’m relying on the link below to take me to the oasis of Fall Festivals to distract me from the infected, pus riddled vaginal wart that is Iowa offense. If I choose to watch shit offense, knowing it’s shit offense, I cant complain when all I see is shit offense. I think Immanuel Kant said that.
I’ll probably be watching a lot of the A&M/Bama game.

You enjoy the festivals. 😝

Reactions: curtisj57
If KF doesn't do exactly this, he should be fired imo.
He's done a lot and he's created many great memories for us all, but his time is up if he doesn't do exactly as you suggest. A transfer qb and OL is a must, same with firing or demoting bf to ol coach. It's unbelievable that our "best qb" is one of the worst starters in the country and he decided not to get a transfer qb!! Flat out insane.

He's well on his way into turning the program into what it was when he started. People can call me crazy and say "but 10 wins last year"....go right ahead. We also had ONE b1g win vs a team that had a winning conf record. We couldn't score more than 2 td on offense again many mediocre teams in our final 8 or so games....could barely even beat the mediocre teams. If the same offense continues this year and is allowed to continue next year, recruiting will be DEAD on offense and even defense will be hurt.
Correct. A lot of wins have been amassed against bad and mediocre teams as of late.

As Kirk said this week, you have to be willing to change with the times. And, as anyone smart enough to pour piss out of a boot can tell you, change is long overdue.

Watching the OSU defensive line, I’ll be shocked if Spencer takes every snap in that game in 2 weeks. Many of us may get our wish to see a backup QB come to fruition.

Reactions: InbredHawkeye
I love me some Kant, but I hadn't read that before. Might be his greatest work.

Reactions: curtisj57
Every Saturday I wake up and try to be optimistic with my Hawkeyes. I truly want to see them succeed. I have never been a fan of KF offense, never. Its like watching Princeton in basketball, it is just boring. I still feel if it wasn't for the Parkers KF would have lost his job a long time ago. Every Saturday I still root for the Black and Gold

Unfortunately, its hard to argue with any of that. For numerous reasons , this thing has gotten away from the captain, and it remains to be seen whether or not he can right the ship. I do agree though that fans who think he doesn't care, or that he'd lose just to spite them, are delusional.....
Thinking Kirk is intentionally putting out a crappy offense “because he can” to spite the fans is the dumbest of dumb takes.

I agree with much of what’s been posted in here - at this point in the season, the offense is what it is. They will hopefully continue to improve in the margins and maybe get Keegan back at some point, but they’re not overhauling anything or changing philosophy on the fly. They can tweak up play-calling to an extent, but they’re not suddenly going to start running Purdue’s offense with this personnel.

The real question is whether Kirk can/will/be willing to make the necessary changes in the offseason.

Thinking Kirk is intentionally putting out a crappy offense “because he can” to spite the fans is the dumbest of dumb takes.

I agree with much of what’s been posted in here - at this point in the season, the offense is what it is. They will hopefully continue to improve in the margins and maybe get Keegan back at some point, but they’re not overhauling anything or changing philosophy on the fly. They can tweak up play-calling to an extent, but they’re not suddenly going to start running Purdue’s offense with this personnel.

The real question is whether Kirk can/will/be willing to make the necessary changes in the offseason.
I believe KF does not believe that the offense work any other way than the way he is running it. It work for him in 2002, it should work now.

You don’t think Ohio State will blow out Iowa?
I certainly don't think it will be 56-7 at the half. Even before the season started this is the one game I predicted we'd have a hard time winning. This was even before the latest offensive struggles. We'll see though...

The offense is just awful on every level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT