ADVERTISEMENT

Quote from Foster about his decision

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
From Twitter..

"It was weird. My family is Iowa fans. I'm an Iowa fan, personally. But I just felt like I had a better chance at success at Iowa State".

Comment from Hassel I believe was "That's quite an indictment of Fran McCaffery".

This was Tweeted by Chris Hassel per an interview Foster had with Matthew Bain of the DSM.

I guess the trajectory of the programs is somewhat subjective as ISU hasn't fared better than Iowa in the tourney the past few years unless post-Niang's team.

My two-cents is that kids look at the talent or lack thereof on the roster and don't see Iowa ever being better than a bubble team and cannon fodder for any 2nd round opponent. Maybe this is me projecting my personal views to others :) but man, Fran is making recruiting look like breaking dependence on fossil fuels.

From Twitter..

"It was weird. My family is Iowa fans. I'm an Iowa fan, personally. But I just felt like I had a better chance at success at Iowa State".

Comment from Hassel I believe was "That's quite an indictment of Fran McCaffery".

This was Tweeted by Chris Hassel per an interview Foster had with Matthew Bain of the DSM.

I guess the trajectory of the programs is somewhat subjective as ISU hasn't fared better than Iowa in the tourney the past few years unless post-Niang's team.

My two-cents is that kids look at the talent or lack thereof on the roster and don't see Iowa ever being better than a bubble team and cannon fodder for any 2nd round opponent. Maybe this is me projecting my personal views to others :) but man, Fran is making recruiting look like breaking dependence on fossil fuels.

Yes, it very much is an indictment of Fran.

To believe otherwise is willful ignorance.

"It was weird. My family is Iowa fans. I'm an Iowa fan, personally. But I just felt like I had a better chance at success at Iowa State."

An Iowa fan picking ISU because he thinks he has a better chance at success. This should've been a gimmie recruit like Joe W and Fran found a way to screw it up.

Fran is it like Repellant to Black athletes. I guess he is trying to change that taking lower rated guys in recent classes, but the roster looks like a 1940's Iowa team.

Or turn Carver into a ghost town like the Lickliter days. That's the only way to get the AD's attention. Even an incompetent, sackless dipshit like Barta can't ignore that.

Any AD worth his salt would have done 3 things already:

1. Fire Fran Mccaffery
2. Tell Kirk to get rid of Brian or he's next
3. Stop renewing the Cy-hawk football game.

Last edited:
Yes, it very much is an indictment of Fran.

To believe otherwise is willful ignorance.
That may be the case but I also think it shows a lack of self-confidence. Your 5-star recruit and you think you can't make a difference on a team that only has four other starters.

The "repellant" in both the recruitment of DJ Carton and Xavier Foster isn't Fran, per se. It's his kids. Both saw their spots filled with Connor and Patrick, respectively. Stop making this so personal about Fran.

The "repellant" in both the recruitment of DJ Carton and Xavier Foster isn't Fran, per se. It's his kids. Both saw their spots filled with Connor and Patrick, respectively. Stop making this so personal about Fran.
Carton, maybe. But Foster could easily play a different position than Pat. Don’t see that as much of a factor. Foster is a 4/5, Pat a 3/4

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

Foster would not be competing against either one for playing time.

It's been said Carton really liked the Ohio State coach.

Foster would not be competing against either one for playing time.

It's been said Carton really liked the Ohio State coach.

it’s also been said that foster wasn’t very fond of Patrick and Connor. don’t know if there’s any truth to it but it’s out there. TIFWIW.

Xavier is a symptom of the problem. Our last major recruiting win was Garza, 3 years ago. Fran was gifted with Wieskamp and Pat in the last two cycles.

Landing one of Murrell, Crowl, Sibley, Jackson or Gordon would have softened the blow.

I'm not convinced Foster will be great. His stat lines remind me a bit of Woodbury in that I couldn't understand why the numbers were so pedestrian for a 7 footer in Iowa HS basketball. That said, he has the tools and Fran absolutely needs to hit on those recruits when they have a shot at them.

Considering Pat made up 50% of the 2019 class, Fran had 2 years to prep for the large and pivotal 2020 class. While all current commits have upside, you need a blue chip or two or you risk a repeat of the 2015 class, which was largely responsible for missing 2 consecutive tournaments.

From Twitter..

Does "chance at success" pertain to 1) individual improvement, 2) Team success, or 3) classroom/personal growth? I think most have assumed it is 1, and maybe 2. But, what if he is talking about 3? Is ISU the best place for him to remain eligible with little effort in the classroom?

Does "chance at success" pertain to 1) individual improvement, 2) Team success, or 3) classroom/personal growth? I think most have assumed it is 1, and maybe 2. But, what if he is talking about 3? Is ISU the best place for him to remain eligible with little effort in the classroom?
Good question

Interesting take.....

What doesn't make sense is why XF picked Iowa State over, say, UCLA, Kansas, Baylor, Virginia Tech, etc. Each of those schools has a stronger track record of placing kids in the NBA. Did those schools back off?

Also could include some kind of networking. Like if he thinks one coach/staff has better contacts with NBA coaches.

Xavier is a symptom of the problem. Our last major recruiting win was Garza, 3 years ago. Fran was gifted with Wieskamp and Pat in the last two cycles.

Landing one of Murrell, Crowl, Sibley, Jackson or Gordon would have softened the blow.

I'm not convinced Foster will be great. His stat lines remind me a bit of Woodbury in that I couldn't understand why the numbers were so pedestrian for a 7 footer in Iowa HS basketball. That said, he has the tools and Fran absolutely needs to hit on those recruits when they have a shot at them.

Considering Pat made up 50% of the 2019 class, Fran had 2 years to prep for the large and pivotal 2020 class. While all current commits have upside, you need a blue chip or two or you risk a repeat of the 2015 class, which was largely responsible for missing 2 consecutive tournaments.

Care to revisit your stance that Iowa States ability to put guys on NBA rosters had no bearing on recruiting success? ISUs two highest regarded recruits (Foster and Blackwell) cited this verbatim. Able to admit you were wrong?

can we please quit saying that Fran was gifted Wieskamp when we have seen many players of his caliber leave the state?

What doesn't make sense is why XF picked Iowa State over, say, UCLA, Kansas, Baylor, Virginia Tech, etc. Each of those schools has a stronger track record of placing kids in the NBA. Did those schools back off?
He might have wanted his family to be able to see him play.

My feeling is this and have nothing to base it on, but if say BJ Armstrong was the coach, I believe Iowa's recruiting would jump up big time. Don't know if he could coach though. I just know recruiting is about culture, vision, creating excitement.

BJ basically admitted last year that he would be very interested in the job. I think he is exactly what this long declining program needs....committed to the U of I, African American, and NBA contacts/experience. That being said, I think there is zero chance Bara hires him as he has said multiple times he requires previous head coaching experience....which means get ready for another no-talent from a mid-major school.

Or that maybe he thinks a degree from ISU in his field of choice will give him better chance at success in life? I get a lot of you despise ISU, but to think it’s a much lesser educational institution than UI is ridiculous.

it’s also been said that foster wasn’t very fond of Patrick and Connor. don’t know if there’s any truth to it but it’s out there. TIFWIW.

I don’t know them at all, but would find this believable. Also, if Carton is all he’s supposed to be he shouldn’t have had to worry about playing behind Connor.

No way is he a one and done. He won't even play in the nba in my opinion, or do that much in college
Oh, I agree 100%.

I really don’t think he will be one and done....only that I would not be surprised if he is. Personally, I think if he plays the least bit well he will test the NBA waters.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Or that maybe he thinks a degree from ISU in his field of choice will give him better chance at success in life? I get a lot of you despise ISU, but to think it’s a much lesser educational institution than UI is ridiculous.
Wasn’t he once quoted as saying he never wants to have to work....that he wants to play in the NBA? I thought someone posted this a day or two ago.

In any case, I can pretty much guarantee he didn’t pick ISU because of a “degree of choice that gives him a better chance at success in life.”

From Twitter..

Isn’t that a major reason why any recruit picks one school over others?

My feeling is this and have nothing to base it on, but if say BJ Armstrong was the coach, I believe Iowa's recruiting would jump up big time. Don't know if he could coach though. I just know recruiting is about culture, vision, creating excitement.

BJ basically admitted last year that he would be very interested in the job. I think he is exactly what this long declining program needs....committed to the U of I, African American, and NBA contacts/experience. That being said, I think there is zero chance Bara hires him as he has said multiple times he requires previous head coaching experience....which means get ready for another no-talent from a mid-major school.

If BJ wants to be the head coach at Iowa, he needs to go out and earn it - i.e. get some coaching experience of some form. It would require a substantial pay cut though. He has the rest of the package & visibility. Of course, Fred did have success without direct coaching experience but did have NBA operations / administration experience, Howard has 6 years NBA assistant coaching experience.

Fran is going to be here for 3 years I suspect (i.e. thru Patrick's senior year, would make Fran just shy of 64 years old). Fran has a pretty solid team for this & next season (assuming JW stays) that will buy him that time. That following season is worrisome but a lot can change between now and then including getting players via transfers (grad or standard) and Juco's.

Iowa can be better at recruiting and Iowa can better than a bubble team. However, that won't happen until we have an AD who truly wants to win.

Or turn Carver into a ghost town like the Lickliter days. That's the only way to get the AD's attention. Even an incompetent, sackless dipshit like Barta can't ignore that.

Carver’s age is doing a good job all by itself turning Carver into a ghost town. Even if Fran got the boot who would want to come and coach at Iowa? Carver is a huge problem and at this point it is starting to suck the life out of the program.

On Foster and this quote it is a huge loss. I have been a Fran supporter but even to me this one feels like it could be the beginning of the end of Fran’s tenure at Iowa.

Carver’s age is doing a good job all by itself turning Carver into a ghost town. Even if Fran got the boot who would want to come and coach at Iowa? Carver is a huge problem and at this point it is starting to suck the life out of the program.

On Foster and this quote it is a huge loss. I have been a Fran supporter but even to me this one feels like it could be the beginning of the end of Fran’s tenure at Iowa.
I agree with others here that B.J Armstrong would be a huge upgrade. I think he said he'd be interested. With his connections to people around the NBA he'd improve recruiting dramatically and bring excitement to the program

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT