ADVERTISEMENT

Quote from Foster about his decision

No way is he a one and done. He won't even play in the nba in my opinion, or do that much in college

Aren't you one of the many who said Tyler Cook would never sniff the NBA in his career?
And now Cook has already played in 4 games & we're not even 10 games into the season.

Weird, another 3 day old CyTwins troll account.

Blackwell wasn't a big recruit. ISU was literally his best commitable option.

Foster cited it and it was a large part of what Prohm sold him. That said, Foster was probably more likely to go there even without that. ISU likely has better early playing time. Iowa returns Garza, Pemsl and Nunge. He has a better relationship with the ISU players, plus rumors he doesn't care much for Pat and Connor.

I still don't view the few benchwarmers ISU has in the NBA as a significant recruiting advantage. If that were his primary criteria, he would have selected Kansas or UCLA.

So losing Foster was no big deal? If Garza is as good as fans think he is, he will be gone after this year. Do you think the thought of having to wait for Garza to leave is why Foster chose ISU?

If you are having to pattern your game after Garza's, I'd probably pass too. That guy is down low and banging, working his tail off. My guess is Foster saw himself more of a Nunge type player.

The "repellant" in both the recruitment of DJ Carton and Xavier Foster isn't Fran, per se. It's his kids. Both saw their spots filled with Connor and Patrick, respectively. Stop making this so personal about Fran.

No way Foster was worried about playing time. That's ridiculous.

He didn't think he could win enough, he was probably right.

Frans record is long and not very good. It's why most programs don't keep coaches this long that dont win allot.

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
Instead of blindly blaming Fran, we need to recognize that the lead recruiter for both Carton and Foster was Sherm Dillard.
No way Foster was worried about playing time. That's ridiculous.

He didn't think he could win enough, he was probably right.

Frans record is long and not very good. It's why most programs don't keep coaches this long that dont win allot.

Iowa will be better than Iowa State this year and next year. Book it.

Then continue to attend games.

Other fans feel otherwise. And they're voting with their wallets.

I remember when Iowa basketball was fun and exciting and Carver was rocking. The McCaffery brand doesn't come close to that. If you're happy with it, great. Enjoy the mediocrity. Just don't blame the fans who don't want to attend. They're the customer. If they don't want your product, it's stupid business acumen to think they're the problem and not your product. Change the product and deliver something the customer wants. It's simple.

You've admitted: you're not a fan. Why are you on this message board?

Weird, another 3 day old CyTwins troll account.

Blackwell wasn't a big recruit. ISU was literally his best commitable option.

Foster cited it and it was a large part of what Prohm sold him. That said, Foster was probably more likely to go there even without that. ISU likely has better early playing time. Iowa returns Garza, Pemsl and Nunge. He has a better relationship with the ISU players, plus rumors he doesn't care much for Pat and Connor.

I still don't view the few benchwarmers ISU has in the NBA as a significant recruiting advantage. If that were his primary criteria, he would have selected Kansas or UCLA.

CP84: Iowa State putting players in the NBA doesnt help their recruiting

Media: Xavier - What made you pick ISU?

Xavier: My goal is to make the NBA and ISU gives me the best chance to succeed.

Also, lmao at the Dudley Blackwell not being a big time recruit comment. Please bump this in 2-3 years.

It’s an indictment of Fran’s ability to communicate in recruiting. Foster went to ISU because he envisions himself having more “success” there, but the guy currently playing the position that Foster would at Iowa (Garza) is likely going to average around 15 ppg this year. If Foster came to Iowa and averaged 15 ppg with his measurables and athleticism, he would almost undoubtedly get drafted.

It’s pretty disappointing that THAT is the reason Foster went elsewhere. Fran should have been able to quell that concern

I'm pretty sure by success he meant winning.

Garzas post game has no relevance to Foster. They are completely opposite style players.

CP84: Iowa State putting players in the NBA doesnt help their recruiting

Media: Xavier - What made you pick ISU?

Xavier: My goal is to make the NBA and ISU gives me the best chance to succeed.

Also, lmao at the Dudley Blackwell not being a big time recruit comment. Please bump this in 2-3 years.

What major commitable offers did Blackwell have? Maybe bump in 2 years like Lewis.

I'm pretty sure by success he meant winning.

Garzas post game has no relevance to Foster. They are completely opposite style players.
My point is that players can fill it up and have individual success in Fran’s system. But I don’t really know what he meant by success

"It was weird. My family is Iowa fans. I'm an Iowa fan, personally. But I just felt like I had a better chance at success at Iowa State."

An Iowa fan picking ISU because he thinks he has a better chance at success. This should've been a gimmie recruit like Joe W and Fran found a way to screw it up.

I hope we can get Jack McCaffery.

What major commitable offers did Blackwell have? Maybe bump in 2 years like Lewis.

Earlier in this thread you said Garza was Iowas last MAJOR recruiting win.

Garza composite rating of .9288

Blackwell composite rating of .9252

And here we are, per you, Garza was a major recruiting win but Balckwell is not. Explain.

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread you said Garza was Iowas last MAJOR recruiting win.

Garza composite rating of .9288

Blackwell composite rating of .9252

And here we are, per you, Garza was a major recruiting win but Balckwell is not. Explain.

I can cherry pick too

And compare the offer lists.

Totally getting humiliated at home against the team projected to be 10th in the Big East on National TV after a lifelong Hawkeye fan selects our arch-rival. A new low we haven't seen since Lick.

Hope the fosters have a big bonfire to burn all their hawk gear, don't care who his uncle is (other than being worst olinemen in Iowa history). Go be clowns. Any kid who would choose Ames over Iowa City is too dumb or lame to be on campus. Adios

It would not surprise me if he is one and done.
Doubt it, he is overrated. If he wants to be a clown let him. My good friend is a HS head BB coach. Says he plays lazy. He wanted him to go to Iowa because he is a clone fan.

Fran and his staff are a bunch of old men trying to compete against schools with younger staffs that connect/relate better to the younger generation. Plus the players are not having to deal with the head coaches sons getting a lot of playing time when they don't deserve it. Just like Brian Ferentz, what has he done to earn the job of offensive coordinator? And it sure shows on the field, including the offensive line play. Nepotism reigns supreme at Iowa.

I hope you are kidding about Brian Ferentz. I am very disappointed with the job he has done at OC but if you would have taken his resume and changed his name to Peter Paneverybody would have l[ved the hire. He played under head coach, he was promoted 3 or 4 times by maybe the greatest football coach of all time. Coached a record setting positional group in the NFL and then coordinated a running game with 2 1000 yard backs.

This is the year to jettison Fran. Make a good hire (BJ, Oliver or countless others) and we don't lose the core guys and actually have a chance at getting the players necessary to see better one day. Fran has peaked and is now on the downward spiral. Connor and Patrick can stay or go...never going to be key contributors at the P5 level. If Kenyon's kids can play, then the new coach has a couple of building blocks in place to go along with Joe and CJ.

Fran and his staff are a bunch of old men trying to compete against schools with younger staffs that connect/relate better to the younger generation. Plus the players are not having to deal with the head coaches sons getting a lot of playing time when they don't deserve it. Just like Brian Ferentz, what has he done to earn the job of offensive coordinator? And it sure shows on the field, including the offensive line play. Nepotism reigns supreme at Iowa.

Excellent post. I thought the same thing tonight watching Joe T sitting on the bench while Connor was dribbling off his feet. Kid is no match for the quickness at the PG spot. Get Joe and Evelyn some PG time and move Connor to the 3 to spell JW. Hell put the 5 best athletes out there and see what happens. Evelyn, Joe, CJ, JW and Garza. I am operating under the premise Jbo gets the red shirt.

So losing Foster was no big deal? If Garza is as good as fans think he is, he will be gone after this year. Do you think the thought of having to wait for Garza to leave is why Foster chose ISU?
Garza isn't going anywhere after this season.

As an ISU fan, I'm happy XF chose the Cyclones. Not because he chose ISU over Iowa, rather he is a 4 star 7 foot kid. You cant teach 7 feet. At the same time, had they not got him, I wouldn't have been devastated like many Iowa fans seem to be today. Prohm's recruiting has proven to be overall pretty good. A few misses, but mostly a lot of quality players.

I think people are naive if they dont think having Conner + Patrick playing significant minutes hurts current + future recruiting. Do you think other P5 coaches aren't playing that angle? "Why would you go to Iowa? Fran will be playing his sons at your position for the next 3-4 years".

Time will tell with Foster. I am always cautiously optimistic about highly touted freshman. Marcus Fizer turned out pretty well. Some kid named Hornacek walked on, and did pretty well. You just never know.

I hope you are kidding about Brian Ferentz. I am very disappointed with the job he has done at OC but if you would have taken his resume and changed his name to Peter Paneverybody would have l[ved the hire. He played under head coach, he was promoted 3 or 4 times by maybe the greatest football coach of all time. Coached a record setting positional group in the NFL and then coordinated a running game with 2 1000 yard backs.

Total BS. Nobody else would have hired him as OL coach. The current line is the one he recruited and developed 4/5 years ago, so nobody would even hire him as a OL coach now.

He had NO credentials as a OC. Three years has proven that was a mistake even though there shouldn't have been any doubt at the time. Now any other school would laugh at even a suggestion of him being considered for their OC job.

As an ISU fan, I'm happy XF chose the Cyclones. Not because he chose ISU over Iowa, rather he is a 4 star 7 foot kid. You cant teach 7 feet. At the same time, had they not got him, I wouldn't have been devastated like many Iowa fans seem to be today. Prohm's recruiting has proven to be overall pretty good. A few misses, but mostly a lot of quality players.

I think people are naive if they dont think having Conner + Patrick playing significant minutes hurts current + future recruiting. Do you think other P5 coaches aren't playing that angle? "Why would you go to Iowa? Fran will be playing his sons at your position for the next 3-4 years".

Time will tell with Foster. I am always cautiously optimistic about highly touted freshman. Marcus Fizer turned out pretty well. Some kid named Hornacek walked on, and did pretty well. You just never know.
Get lost. No one cares.

Total BS. Nobody else would have hired him as OL coach. The current line is the one he recruited and developed 4/5 years ago, so nobody would even hire him as a OL coach now.

He had NO credentials as a OC. Three years has proven that was a mistake even though there shouldn't have been any doubt at the time. Now any other school would laugh at even a suggestion of him being considered for their OC job.

You cant have credentials until you have done it. You can't do it until someone allows you to do it. This wasn't about if it has worked out but it was a strong hire on paper. Jim Leonard had less credentials as Wisky d-coordinator. That worked out. Also he actually was coveted but the Texans to be their online coach when he came to Iowa. So your statement is false they would have hired him as o-line coach some place else and still probably would.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT