ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers says Suriano still undecided

I am betting he goes 133 to start the season and see how he does...

I also see him dropping to 125 before Big Tens..

I think Lee widens the gap this year. It sounds like he is just getting better, bigger and stronger. Suriano looked cautious in the finals last year. He didnt look like a guy who was confident he could win that match.

He spent 8 days in the hospital and was basically unable to train. Don’t sell the kid short.

Maybe lee is better, maybe he isn’t, but no one can say Suriano was anywhere near his peak. Yes I’ve heard the Lee knee brace stuff but Lee was training for a national title while Suriano was in a hospital bed.

As an RU fan, I think he goes 33. Not based on any inside knowledge. Simply that he is walking around “only” 5lbs over.

I had one year in HS with a 1 lb weight cut from my walk around weight. Easily my best year.

DeSanto vs Suriano will be high octane. This is a must see dual for the lower weights and possibly 49.

He spent 8 days in the hospital and was basically unable to train. Don’t sell the kid short.

Maybe lee is better, maybe he isn’t, but no one can say Suriano was anywhere near his peak. Yes I’ve heard the Lee knee brace stuff but Lee was training for a national title while Suriano was in a hospital bed.

As an RU fan, I think he goes 33. Not based on any inside knowledge. Simply that he is walking around “only” 5lbs over.

I had one year in HS with a 1 lb weight cut from my walk around weight. Easily my best year.

DeSanto vs Suriano will be high octane. This is a must see dual for the lower weights and possibly 49.

You know what? I would go with that except Suriano looked like Suriano throughout the NCAAs. He pinned Moisey (who he only regulared at Midlands), he majored Hayes, and won a close, hard fought match with the returning champ. Exactly the results you would predict for a “peak” Suriano. He looked just fine so quit acting like Nick rolled out of his hospital bed to limp his way into the NCAAs.

And yes, it was established that Lee is better than Suriano...and it wasn’t even that close.

Fix and Suriano can duke it out in the semis as a 2 and 3 seed for the honor to lose to Spencer in the finals.

I’d love for them both to go to 25 so Spencer can get the hodge 3 times .. Ik they will give it to Nolf and it will be well deserved..but I’ll be damned if he shouldn’t have one from last year too. One of my buddies was asking how of a get Spencer was when he first committed, I said to me it was like Lebron committing to a college. He has not disappointed.

No maybe about it homie. Spencer beat that a$$

Ummm, did you miss the finals match? Did suriano go into the hospital in the time between all his NCAA matches and the finals? Bc he sure looked damn good in those. If wants any shot at an NCAA title he'll go 133 and he knows it.

What Lord Voldemort second guessing again? Spencer is just way too good and his training partners far superior. He will widen the gap. Rutgers doesn't have much to offer on that front. From a 4x NC 'destiny' to ... who knows... The injury was tragic for all but I see him coming back to the field as a top 4 forthe next three year but 0-1 championships. From my POV I don't see him coming close to Spencer again, and will end up going 133 as a result, where it's a toss up between 4. Would love to see him and Fix going at it. Spencer will give Nolf a real run for his money for the Hodge this year. I don't see Bo at 197 being much of a threat.

Reactions: Grip220
What Lord Voldemort second guessing again? Spencer is just way too good and his training partners far superior. He will widen the gap. Rutgers doesn't have much to offer on that front. From a 4x NC 'destiny' to ... who knows... The injury was tragic for all but I see him coming back to the field as a top 4 forthe next three year but 0-1 championships. From my POV I don't see him coming close to Spencer again, and will end up going 133 as a result, where it's a toss up between 4. Would love to see him and Fix going at it. Spencer will give Nolf a real run for his money for the Hodge this year. I don't see Bo at 197 being much of a threat.
I agree with most of what you are saying, as much as I see through black and gold glasses to say Bo will not be much of a threat even I cannot agree with that. What I am hoping for is that the extra weight and strength at 197 will stop some of his funk And cradles

Ummm, did you miss the finals match? Did suriano go into the hospital in the time between all his NCAA matches and the finals? Bc he sure looked damn good in those. If wants any shot at an NCAA title he'll go 133 and he knows it.

Y’all act like 8 days in the hospital is nothing.

We’ll see. But of course if Suriano goes 33 (like he said he would probably do when he was a junior in HS), you all will accuse him of ducking. Smh.

We’ll see. But of course if Suriano goes 33 (like he said he would probably do when he was a junior in HS), you all will accuse him of ducking. Smh.
I've said this before, but I'll say it again, because this same narrative is being tossed around, by a few... NS apparently had 8 days in the hospital, Spencer had 8 months off the mat with no training. I'll take 8 days off the mat versus 8 months. NS also had a prior year in a College wrestling room and a College competitive season. So NS had about 7 months and 22 days more mat time than Spencer had last year... I didn't hear any excuses from Spencer when he lost, after having just come back from a serious injury. I'm not taking away anything from NS. He's a tough wrestler and extremely hard to score on, but I agree that 8 days in the hospital was a challenge, but it pales in comparison to the 8 months that Spencer had to deal with last year. I do believe there is more upside to Spencer having a full year of consistent training entering his second collegiate season versus NS getting those 8 days back.

Even at his apex, I don't think Suriano beats that NCAA version of Lee. If Lee stays at that level(or above) the rest of his career, I don't see anyone beating him.

With that said, I 100% agree that dismissing the hospital stay is weak. It doesn't take anything away from Lee, but ANYONE that wrestled knows the effects that would have on training/conditioning/peaking.

Suriano was just that much better than everyone(other than Lee) that he wrestled, to the point that it didn't hinder him. Maybe he thinks that was actually the entire difference(I do NOT). Either way, if he goes 125, we at least have another top level guy at 125 to further Lee's legacy. Without Fix or Suriano, a 4X Champ Lee may not end up getting the credit he deserves 10 years from now, because he will be knocked for his "field" as Sanderson sometimes is.

Suriano doesn't need or want you making excuses for him. I fully expect Suriano to go 133.

I don’t think Spencer ever loses to Suriano, but also don’t think he ever gets bonus.
I have to disagree with this. Last year the only points Nick scored in their match was an escape, Lee shut down Nick's offense. On a big stage, leading the whole match, there was little need for Lee to push for back points, but once he sees him again, he'll know what to expect and I think that leads to multiple backs.

That is my unbiased opinion. GO HAWKS! SPENCER LEE RULES!! - see what I did there.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, because this same narrative is being tossed around, by a few... NS apparently had 8 days in the hospital, Spencer had 8 months off the mat with no training. I'll take 8 days off the mat versus 8 months. NS also had a prior year in a College wrestling room and a College competitive season. So NS had about 7 months and 22 days more mat time than Spencer had last year... I didn't hear any excuses from Spencer when he lost, after having just come back from a serious injury. I'm not taking away anything from NS. He's a tough wrestler and extremely hard to score on, but I agree that 8 days in the hospital was a challenge, but it pales in comparison to the 8 months that Spencer had to deal with last year. I do believe there is more upside to Spencer having a full year of consistent training entering his second collegiate season versus NS getting those 8 days back.

I don't know, by all accounts Lee and the Staff handled his progression PERFECTLY. This was evidenced by his giant leap once the knee brace came off at the biggest tournament of the year. Regardless, the guy is a true specimen and I believe he is simply better than Suriano.

With that said, it's not like Suriano was on an 8 day vacation. It wasn't just the 8 day stay. It was the staph infection that put him there and he missed more than a month RIGHT BEFORE B1G's due to a resulting illness. I just don't see how you rightly dismiss it.

But, I do see how you can say Lee wins anyway! The guy was an absolute freight train at NCAA's. I just think Suriano deserves credit for making the Finals after what he endured.

Was it nothing during the first 4 rounds or is this the type of illness that only flares up when facing a beast like Lee?

Nobody will accuse him of ducking anyone he would be smart to move up if he wants a title. That said if he was in the hospital for 8days prior to the tournament of course it would have some affect. He looked pretty healthy to me during the in NCAA’s and remember Spencer was limited the whole year with the brace. SL will be at another level entirely this season no one wants to deal with that.

Even at his apex, I don't think Suriano beats that NCAA version of Lee. If Lee stays at that level(or above) the rest of his career, I don't see anyone beating him.

With that said, I 100% agree that dismissing the hospital stay is weak. It doesn't take anything away from Lee, but ANYONE that wrestled knows the effects that would have on training/conditioning/peaking.

Suriano was just that much better than everyone(other than Lee) that he wrestled, to the point that it didn't hinder him. Maybe he thinks that was actually the entire difference(I do NOT). Either way, if he goes 125, we at least have another top level guy at 125 to further Lee's legacy. Without Fix or Suriano, a 4X Champ Lee may not end up getting the credit he deserves 10 years from now, because he will be knocked for his "field" as Sanderson sometimes is.
You make a good point about the Hospital stay, it obviously has some affect, to what extent, only he and his coaches probably know. I also agree that Lee needs these big gun in their to help his legacy, but I will say, and I heard FLO down play it recently, the 125 class last year was outstanding, two returning champs plus Suriano. That's a tough field. And didn't he pin a former national champ in the semi's? Not enough credit is given for that accomplishment, especially considering that most folks outside IC didn't give him a shot of beating either Nick or Nato. He was just a field guy.

You make a good point about the Hospital stay, it obviously has some affect, to what extent, only he and his coaches probably know. I also agree that Lee needs these big gun in their to help his legacy, but I will say, and I heard FLO down play it recently, the 125 class last year was outstanding, two returning champs plus Suriano. That's a tough field. And didn't he pin a former national champ in the semi's? Not enough credit is given for that accomplishment, especially considering that most folks outside IC didn't give him a shot of beating either Nick or Nato. He was just a field guy.

No doubt, his freshman field and win was as impressive as Schlatter's(Eustice, Esposito, Storniolo, Masa, Tannenbaum, Gillespie and DiSalvo made for a ton of AA's, a couple champs and several Finalists). Still, I don't know if there is a more impressive run as a TF than Lee's. Lincoln Mac, maybe?

However, as could rightly be expected, it now looks like 125 is not a desirable weight for many and Fix and Suriano both at 133 would put Lee in a clear MAN vs boys class for the next 3 years!

Suriano carries very little body fat around, him at 138 is a very thin 138 and a cut to 125 would be a lot harder than one would think. I think he goes 133, I see him starting there and unless he is all of the sudden very average I see him staying there. Team wise Rutgers has much better options to slide into his spot at 125 than at 133.

Suriano carries very little body fat around, him at 138 is a very thin 138 and a cut to 125 would be a lot harder than one would think. I think he goes 133, I see him starting there and unless he is all of the sudden very average I see him staying there. Team wise Rutgers has much better options to slide into his spot at 125 than at 133.
Agreed here.

I expect to see Suriano at 33 and Fix at 125 in March. I don't think Fix wants to be wrestling guys like Micic and Suriano at 133 lbs. He looks like 57kg is a good weight for him at this point.

Suriano ain't going 25. Kid is huge.

Spencer Lee was the Outstanding Wrestler of that tournament and it's not debateable in my opinion. He got hosed plain and simple.

I'm not counting Spencer Lee's chickens before they are hatched. Suriano is one tough cookie, and he made Spencer work hard to beat him. All it takes is one bad moment for it to go sideways. Ask Dan Gable or Lincoln Mac.

The kid is great, and many thought he wouldn't lose at all in College. That ship has sailed, and it could sail again. One match at a time.

Spencer Lee was the Outstanding Wrestler of that tournament and it's not debateable in my opinion. He got hosed plain and simple.

I'm not counting Spencer Lee's chickens before they are hatched. Suriano is one tough cookie, and he made Spencer work hard to beat him. All it takes is one bad moment for it to go sideways. Ask Dan Gable or Lincoln Mac.

The kid is great, and many thought he wouldn't lose at all in College. That ship has sailed, and it could sail again. One match at a time.
Agree entirely.

What’s funny is NS effectively said he didn’t have any excuses for the loss No one here doubts the extraordinary talent of NS. The simple reality is that Spencer is better. I’m a Hawk alum and fan, but this isn’t about looking thru “Hawkeye goggles”, it’s a simple fact. If the show were on the other foot I wouldn’t have any problem admitting.

Suriano is a great athlete and seems like a great kid as well. I love watching him wrestle and for me, he’s an easy guy to root for if he’s not wrestling a Hawk.

Cheers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT