ADVERTISEMENT

Steveson

yep…… I have no inside info at all but was there during that standing ovation and I think the admiration seemed mutual…..

wasn’t Iowa runner up in his original recruitment too?

I like our chances

I think he believed he was going to get booed but winning that medal, especially the way he did, was special and deserved a standing o.

Now we can see how a stack of cash helps get top end guys to come here. Although we only have less than 1/2 of what pudstate had available for 10 years. Go Hawks
I’m interested to see how schools like Michigan and Ohio State fare with this whole NIL deal. They clearly don’t have the quality coaches that we and PSU have but one doesn’t always need a great coach to get to the top…though it helps. Michigan got some serious talent from the portal…

And by the largest of margins…😇

Duals)
# Date Opponent Result Attendance
1 2/10/2018 Iowa W 28-13 15998
2 1/27/2023 Iowa W 23-14 15998
3 12/8/2013 Pitt. W 28-9 15996
4 2/15/2020 tOSU W 20-16 15995
5 2/4/2022 tOSU. W 32-7 15991
So you had to go back ten years to find three duals where home attendance was comparable to the last two Iowa duals in HV? You’re not proving the point that you think you’re proving lol.

I’m interested to see how schools like Michigan and Ohio State fare with this whole NIL deal. They clearly don’t have the quality coaches that we and PSU have but one doesn’t always need a great coach to get to the top…though it helps. Michigan got some serious talent from the portal…
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan’s star basketball player and all American went on record and said he got less than 100K this past year. Which I imagine was a big reason he went to Kansas. Their football program has been behind a ton of schools on NIL too. I doubt these wrestling transfers are getting huge money given that. It’s not Iowa, most Michigan people could give 2 cr%ps about wrestling. Even basketball is in the same boat, football is the only thing that gets the needle moving at Michigan.

Hunter Dickinson, Michigan’s star basketball player and all American went on record and said he got less than 100K this past year. Which I imagine was a big reason he went to Kansas. Their football program has been behind a ton of schools on NIL too. I doubt these wrestling transfers are getting huge money given that. It’s not Iowa, most Michigan people could give 2 cr%ps about wrestling. Even basketball is in the same boat, football is the only thing that gets the needle moving at Michigan.

He was already at Michigan when NIL started. The important number is what he went to KS for, not what he got at Michigan. Some have claimed $4M.

Reactions: xjohnx
So you had to go back ten years to find three duals where home attendance was comparable to the last two Iowa duals in HV? You’re not proving the point that you think you’re proving lol.
(1) Those are our top all-time. We’ve only done like one BJC match a year. And, (2) read it all thru a good-natured lens - it isn’t the stuff of high conflict.

Even with both in the lineup this year (unlikely to get either) Iowa would still finish behind PSU.
PSU returns
125 McHenry/ Howard
133 Nagao 5th
141 Bartlett 3rd
149 Van Ness 3rd
157 Haines 2nd
165 Facundo/ Messenbrink
174 Star Champ
184 Brooks Champ
197 Truax Runner-Up
Hwt Kerk Runner-Up

A bridge too far. Hawks are making the right moves though and can continue to close the gap by snagging top recruits like Angelo Ferrari, Gabe Arnold etc.
You may want to rethink this! With those two and a healthy Ayala we could easily put 5 in the finals!! Then you have studs at 65, 74, and maybe if someone can bump up out of the 3 hammers we now have, or assad could finally get healthy, we could score some point at 84 too.

We would need someone to step it up at 149 which seems to be pretty favorable to happen. 133 might be are weakest weight and we do have veterans with experience there also.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Grip220
And by the largest of margins…😇

Duals)
# Date Opponent Result Attendance
1 2/10/2018 Iowa W 28-13 15998
2 1/27/2023 Iowa W 23-14 15998
3 12/8/2013 Pitt. W 28-9 15996
4 2/15/2020 tOSU W 20-16 15995
5 2/4/2022 tOSU. W 32-7 15991
JFC are you seriously THIS needy of our approval? Lol.

Reactions: xjohnx and Chuck C
You may want to rethink your stance on the Michigan coaching staff. Their head RTC guy has a legitimate argument for being the best in the U.S. K.J. didn’t have the chops as a HC, but he is a monster mat coach and strategist. Churella and Bolyard are very sharp as well. You then add in Dieringer as well.

Finally, you have Bormet, who is about as perfect a “CEO” as you can get for that school. Mind you there were some obstacles in the Michigan approach to non revenue sports that McFarland was never able to fully overcome. Bormet has bypassed those as well as anyone could.

Michigan wrestling will never have the overall support Iowa or even PSU has, but their staff is absolutely top 5 and can even be argued against PSU if you include the RTC…

If Gable wants to come to Iowa, what happens if Tony doesn't want to take his Olympic RS? Wasn't there rumor that he was thinking about being done collegiately after this year?

I may be in the minority here, but if Gable wants to come to Iowa, and Tony says, Coach, I don't want to take my Olympic RS - I think I'm sticking with the one that's been loyal and telling Gable thanks, but no thanks. And yes, I realize you'd be telling an olympic champ no thanks and that's crazy to say, but loyalty means the world to me and Tony has been all that, and more from the loyalty standpoint.

I know their salaries help offset some of the stresses that come with the job, but I can't imagine being a D1 coach, really in any sport with the NIL nowadays.

If Gable wants to come to Iowa, what happens if Tony doesn't want to take his Olympic RS? Wasn't there rumor that he was thinking about being done collegiately after this year?

I may be in the minority here, but if Gable wants to come to Iowa, and Tony says, Coach, I don't want to take my Olympic RS - I think I'm sticking with the one that's been loyal and telling Gable thanks, but no thanks. And yes, I realize you'd be telling an olympic champ no thanks and that's crazy to say, but loyalty means the world to me and Tony has been all that, and more from the loyalty standpoint.

I know their salaries help offset some of the stresses that come with the job, but I can't imagine being a D1 coach, really in any sport with the NIL nowadays.
I love Cass but Tom's job is to do what is best for Iowa wrestling, not Tony Cassioppi. If a reigning Olympic champion and most talented wrestler in America wants to come to Iowa City you just can't say, "thanks but no thanks" out of loyalty. Do you think Carl would say no if Gable wanted to train and wrestle in HV? Kerk would be on an Olympic RS the next day lol.

If this happened (big if), it would be much bigger than one year of NCAA wrestling. Gable is the type of athlete the HWC needs if we want to compete for top talent. We need more than Spencer, who is a question mark right now.

You may want to rethink this! With those two and a healthy Ayala we could easily put 5 in the finals!! Then you have studs at 65, 74, and maybe if someone can bump up out of the 3 hammers we now have, or assad could finally get healthy, we could score some point at 84 too.

We would need someone to step it up at 149 which seems to be pretty favorable to happen. 133 might be are weakest weight and we do have veterans with experience there also.
Always the optimist

He was my son’s (7 now) favorite wrestler to watch. Watching him winning gold was so fun and a highlight of the Olympics which I make a point my kids watching. Seeing him in the black singlet…..im all for it. Same for him. He did it for his hometown team. Wrestling at Carver for Iowa, it’s still special.

Reactions: el dub

"Coach, I don't want to take my Olympic RS."
"Okay, your call. As always, I support you 100%."

I love your optimism.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
There was a time I thought I would take Cass over Steblersen all day every day as a Hawk but then Steblersen went and changed for the good. Now I don't know.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
I support Tony just as much as the next guy and would hate to put him and his family in a position to make an unwanted decision. That said, GS is a top 3 American wrestler right now, he is looking for spotlights and seems to be humble and a real stand up advocate for the sport, the new Jordan Burrows if I may.
If he wants to come to IOWA and use his last year of eligibility and train at the HWC through the oly cycle then it’s a no brainer and Tony can benefit from this.
If he wants to be part of the team that knocks off the new kids on the block and shocks the world, then I say welcome aboard to him.

"Coach, I don't want to take my Olympic RS."
"Okay, your call. As always, I support you 100%."

That’s pretty much it, right? Sometimes life is hard and decisions are bigger than the individual. I love Big Tony to death but Iowa simply cannot turn down Gable Steveson. (And I’ve been calling this “recruited over” stuff BS from day 1.)

That said, I’d still be more surprised to wake up and find out Steveson is a Hawkeye than I would be to find my head sewn to the carpet. Fun to think about though.

Does anyone have an example of how the NIL deal / issue / thing has been a driving force in the transfer of a college athlete? Genuinely interested. We've heard stories of bags and deals. But that's it, just stories. It is a convenient way to explain a transfer, but I wonder how much of a role it plays in the decision making process.

Does anyone have an example of how the NIL deal / issue / thing has been a driving force in the transfer of a college athlete? Genuinely interested. We've heard stories of bags and deals. But that's it, just stories. It is a convenient way to explain a transfer, but I wonder how much of a role it plays in the decision making process.
It's why most guys are leaving. Grad transfers always leave so those situations are usually different

Search Cade M on this site.

Reactions: OpenWater

you would be a terrible coach....but a great person

You may want to rethink your stance on the Michigan coaching staff. Their head RTC guy has a legitimate argument for being the best in the U.S. K.J. didn’t have the chops as a HC, but he is a monster mat coach and strategist. Churella and Bolyard are very sharp as well. You then add in Dieringer as well.

Finally, you have Bormet, who is about as perfect a “CEO” as you can get for that school. Mind you there were some obstacles in the Michigan approach to non revenue sports that McFarland was never able to fully overcome. Bormet has bypassed those as well as anyone could.

Michigan wrestling will never have the overall support Iowa or even PSU has, but their staff is absolutely top 5 and can even be argued against PSU if you include the RTC…
Thanks for the feedback. It was in no way a jab at anyone’s coaching staff and I didn’t think it was unfair comparing Iowa and PSU against the field. I guess we’ll see how it all pans out in March…and how all of this NIL money affects the top teams going forward.

Wow! $100k for an AA is nothing. I would have gone to Kansas as well. I wonder if at some point the powers that be will force schools to reveal NIL payouts in an effort to somewhat make it an equal or transparent playing field…

Thanks for the feedback. It was in no way a jab at anyone’s coaching staff and I didn’t think it was unfair comparing Iowa and PSU against the field. I guess we’ll see how it all pans out in March…and how all of this NIL money affects the top teams going forward.
No worries. They kind of go under the radar. But, that staff is absolutley loaded. Sergei Beloglazlav is arguably a top 5 freestyler of all time. 2x Olympic, 6x World Champ and a Silver to go with it. They even have Momir Petkovic on the Greco side.

I know they have been known more for their top guys competing for other countries, but Cox is still therewith KJ. Ringer and Coon have had solid success and Parris is the heir apparent once/if Steveson goes back to WWE. After that they have NaTo, Pantaleo and White.

They aren't as loaded as the NLWC, but they are by far the deepest RTC after them...

Reactions: TarpHawk
he was a backup qb who wanted to go to some place he could start. those transfers happened all the time before nil. unless you are saying he chose iowa because of the swarm collective in which case disregard my post
Not really accurate. He led UofM the year before to a B1G title and a Playoff berth. Yeah, he had to fight the next year with a pet favorite of Harbaugh and an injury relegated him to then sit in the back seat, but he is not your garden variety backup transfer...

Not really accurate. He led UofM the year before to a B1G title and a Playoff berth. Yeah, he had to fight the next year with a pet favorite of Harbaugh and an injury relegated him to then sit in the back seat, but he is not your garden variety backup transfer...

This. And The Swarm lead him to Iowa as he would have been one of the most sought after portal QBs, having been all-B1G and lead his team to a conference title and the CFP.

But also a clarification: McCarthy is a favorite of Harbaugh because he's damn good. There's no shame losing your job to J.J. McCarthy.

This. And The Swarm lead him to Iowa as he would have been one of the most sought after portal QBs, having been all-B1G and lead his team to a conference title and the CFP.

But also a clarification: McCarthy is a favorite of Harbaugh because he's damn good. There's no shame losing your job to J.J. McCarthy.
Agree with everything, except the wording: "because he's damn good". It should have said, "because he is ridiculously athletic." Think Justin Fields for the Bears right now as an apt comparison. As a pocket passer, they are both BRUTAL. But, they are so fast and athletic, they can often hide their passing deficiencies. But, the best teams can expose them if they have the rush ends and solid enough corners.

The reason I say that is because I was never sold that J.J. was actually better than Cade. At Michigan, Cade was only expected to "manage" the offense. Mind you, an offense that ran a ton and let their defense do most of the heavy lifting. Still he showed glimpses and was super efficient, while J.J. had a putrid completion percentage and threw some really ugly INT's...

At Iowa, you have the same theme. But, I hope they loosen up on offense a bit and let him work. If you want to truly competitive that offense HAS TO open up!

At Iowa, you have the same theme. But, I hope they loosen up on offense a bit and let him work. If you want to truly competitive that offense HAS TO open up!

Narrator:
giphy.gif

Agree with everything, except the wording: "because he's damn good". It should have said, "because he is ridiculously athletic." Think Justin Fields for the Bears right now as an apt comparison. As a pocket passer, they are both BRUTAL. But, they are so fast and athletic, they can often hide their passing deficiencies. But, the best teams can expose them if they have the rush ends and solid enough corners.

The reason I say that is because I was never sold that J.J. was actually better than Cade. At Michigan, Cade was only expected to "manage" the offense. Mind you, an offense that ran a ton and let their defense do most of the heavy lifting. Still he showed glimpses and was super efficient, while J.J. had a putrid completion percentage and threw some really ugly INT's...

Mobile QBs are the name of the game today. They are both nifty/mobile but JJ brings a plus running element over Cade.

Stats and performance wise, JJ and Cade's completion percentages are virtually equal. However, JJ's career passing statistics (TD/INT, Y/A, rating, etc.) are noticeably higher than Cade's. Granted, a lot goes into that, but my point was only that JJ is pretty darn good and his numbers show it.

Having now thought about your post, perhaps you were comparing the two back in 2021. That's fair. But it's also fair to say not only was J.J. a true freshman, but Cade was also ahead of him on the depth chart that year.

Of course, one of Cade's big challenges in 2022 was his knee injury. Total factor in losing the starting job. But again, JJ is pretty good so that's nothing to be terribly concerned about as an Iowa fan.

From your lips to God's ears on the offense. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT