ADVERTISEMENT

The states should decide....

Your position must have changed in the last hour. You just said that abortion wasn’t a constitutional right because it wasn’t in the Constitution. Here, I can quote you to you:

Umm none, hence being constitutional rights. Abortion isn’t in the constitution. This is 5th grade stuff

And I have no idea what you are taking about with the right to privacy extending to the unborn.

Have you read the 9th Amendment yet?

6b93386e-73d6-4743-aa49-afdc9f5fcefb_text.gif

Setting aside the prohibitive or permissive approach federal legislation might take, what is the article i power that you are invoking for the legislation?

I have to say, it would be mildly amusing to see a federal prohibition or limitation of some sort enacted, only to have, say, Don Verilli, arguing to SCOTUS that it's not authorized under the Commerce Clause.

Reactions: Coach_Fry
Bitch please. If it was about babies we'd have free maternal care. We'd have months of parental care. We'd have free diapers, formula and childcare. We'd have free preschool and after school programs.
But it's not about the 'babies' because you all don't give a shit about what happens to them once they're born. You've been taking programs away from them for decades.
It's about future slavery....

Reactions: BelemNole
Bitch please. If it was about babies we'd have free maternal care. We'd have months of parental care. We'd have free diapers, formula and childcare. We'd have free preschool and after school programs.
But it's not about the 'babies' because you all don't give a shit about what happens to them once they're born. You've been taking programs away from them for decades.
Holy hell, who is paying for all that free stuff? Parents can provide for their children, like we always have.

Roe vs Wade (1973) a decision written by Justice
Blackman was based on a "right to privacy". Many legal
scholars agree that Blackman's decision was clearly not
based on the U.S. Constitution which never mentions
a "right to privacy".

It was always felt by legal scholars that Roe vs Wade
would someday be overturned because it was considered
unconstitutional. That day was June 24, 2022. Let the
individual states make their own abortion laws.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
This might be a good deal for the general pro choice side. While I think 15 weeks is largely where it will land, and is in line with Europe and most Americans, my guess is that the number of states that are likely to pass laws less than 15 weeks will exceed the states who pass greater than 15 weeks.

If I were the Democrats and cared about abortion access nationally, and the Republicans were actually on board for 15 weeks (with exceptions after), I think I would take it. The public support for abortions after 15 weeks without exception is very small, "Keep late term abortions legal for any reason!" would be a tough issue to run on for Democrats.

We shall see. I believe this sort of legislation, while not satisfying the zealots on either side (including me), would come close to taking the issue off the political table. This is where most Americans are, that early term abortion should be legal, later trimester abortions illegal except in narrow circumstances. It would be tough for either side to run against that.
Yeah, like it or not, the only solution is one where neither side gets everything that they want. Zealots on either end will hate that, so it won't happen.

So, are you agreeing that Conservatives are speaking out both sides of their mouth on this topic? Certainly sounds like you are. Abortion is bad... no abortion... have responsibility. Years later, don't be on welfare or SNAP... and your kid is causing trouble at school or committing crimes due to lack of nuclear family.

Talk about having you cake and eating it too.
Personal responsibility and making good decisions. All comes from the same side of the mouth

Lol your utopia doesn’t exist. We don’t subsidize being a parent in this country. I can be against murder and also have the position that I have no obligation to raise your children. We shouldn’t murder children because they are a burden on you.

I am 33 years old with no children. I took measures to make sure I don’t have children. I don’t feel I am in a position to raise a child and being as I am an adult it is my responsibility to not bring a child that would inconvenience me into the world.

I’ve also had talks with every person that I’ve had sex with and told them I don’t support an abortion. Personal responsibility.

More unwanted children who will become angry adults who commit violent crimes and continue our failed cradle to jail social experiment. Freakonomics pointed out that Roe v Wade essentially was responsible for the reduction in violent crime over the last 50 years. Now we’ll soon be enjoying more violent crime, higher social costs and an increase in abortion rates in our fast approaching dystopian future.

Brilliant!

More unwanted children who will become angry adults who commit violent crimes and continue our failed cradle to jail social experiment. Freakonomics pointed out that Roe v Wade essentially was responsible for the reduction in violent crime over the last 50 years. Now we’ll soon be enjoying more violent crime, higher social costs and an increase in abortion rates in our fast approaching dystopian future.

Brilliant!
Careful Margaret Sanger. You’re a couple points away from supporting eugenics. As long as we keep progressive DAs in control violent crime will always be rampant.

Maybe I'm not accounting for states saying 20 weeks instead of 15, but I guess I could be more specific.

I think the Democratic position to "codify Wade" as guaranteed access through 9 months is not nearly as mainstream as you think it is, even among democrats. I mean, most European countries are in the 12-20 week range, and I don't normally think of France as a radical Christian theocracy.

I think only the bluest of blue states will guarantee full 9 month access. I think the vast majority of states will pass limits based on weeks, because that's where most people are. Support for unrestricted abortion after 4-5 months is just not that strong.

I would say that the 25 red states will all pass limits at 15 or less weeks. Of the 25 blue states, my guess is that as many of 15 will have limits of 15-20 weeks.

I could be wrong that there will be more states with <15 week bans than will allow 9 month abortion, if 20 weeks ends up being more where it settles.

But my point is, if people care about guaranteeing abortion access in early trimesters, this would be a good deal (if it is really on the table). I would guarantee that the considerable majority of abortions remain legal, which is far from guaranteed without a national deal. It would satisfy neither the pro-choice or pro-life idealists, but it would satisfy 60%+ of the American people.
I love when people tell me what I think, so how strong do I think the support is for full term abortion?
Maybe this is the simpler question; in your estimation, in, lets say 18 months time, how many states will have zero abortion access?

Reactions: mattymoknows

Brilliant!
How can we simultaneously have a rise in crime due to less abortions while having an increase in abortion rates?

I don’t have a dog in the abortion fight…I am probably the only person without an opinion yea or nay.

But I think the Court’s decision is the right one, in that it will (or should) force Congress to pass legislation that can settle this once and for all. Congress should have done this years ago.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Democrats only have themselves to blame. They had 50 years to do something to codify. Yeah, I know they tried in the last 2 months but too little too late. Should have listened when RBG said it was bad law.
As if codifying would have done any good. The Republicans would have just run it up to the supreme court and they would have come up with whatever stupid reasoning they wanted to get their ruling through.

This is a supreme court who isn't legitimate in my eyes. One seat was stolen by Republicans and two others put on by a President who tried to commit treason, nevermind the sitting Justice who's wife tried to commit treason. It's insane what we've allowed to happen in this country.

Careful Margaret Sanger. You’re a couple points away from supporting eugenics. As long as we keep progressive DAs in control violent crime will always be rampant.
You posing as an HROT expert on Sanger is hilarious. Your other posts here lead me to believe the extent of your knowledge on a subject of any significance is highly suspect, at best.

"The Negro race has reached a place in its history when every possible effort should be made to have every Negro child count as a valuable contribution to the future of America. Negro parents, like all parents, must create the next generation from strength, not from weakness; from health, not from despair."

-Margaret Sanger

So force them to be parents against their will and then offer no support. Yes, it’s truly about the children!!
Unless they were raped how can you say someone was forced to be a parent? We learn in sex Ed that putting dick into a vagina can end in pregnancy

As if codifying would have done any good. The Republicans would have just run it up to the supreme court and they would have come up with whatever stupid reasoning they wanted to get their ruling through.

This is a supreme court who isn't legitimate in my eyes. One seat was stolen by Republicans and two others put on by a President who tried to commit treason, nevermind the sitting Justice who's wife tried to commit treason. It's insane what we've allowed to happen in this country.
You should probably see what codify means.

Don’t be a sore loser.

No seat was “stolen.” All 3 positions were filled following the guidelines in the Constitution. Just because YOU don’t like the fact they weren’t appointed by democrats and don’t have liberal agendas doesn’t make the court illegitimate.

I don’t have a dog in the abortion fight…I am probably the only person without an opinion yea or nay.

But I think the Court’s decision is the right one, in that it will (or should) force Congress to pass legislation that can settle this once and for all. Congress should have done this years ago.
Why do you consider this a appropriate for Congress instead of the states, from a constitutional perspective?

Reactions: Coach_Fry
Setting aside the prohibitive or permissive approach federal legislation might take, what is the article i power that you are invoking for the legislation?

I have to say, it would be mildly amusing to see a federal prohibition or limitation of some sort enacted, only to have, say, Don Verilli, arguing to SCOTUS that it's not authorized under the Commerce Clause.
Well...if you have women crossing state lines to obtain an abortion, then Commerce Clause would be a jurisdictional hook.

So, are you agreeing that Conservatives are speaking out both sides of their mouth on this topic? Certainly sounds like you are. Abortion is bad... no abortion... have responsibility. Years later, don't be on welfare or SNAP... and your kid is causing trouble at school or committing crimes due to lack of nuclear family.

Talk about having you cake and eating it too.
They only care about the "right" to life. They don't care about the quality of life, they never have. There's no money to be made in helping the poor.

Why do you consider this a appropriate for Congress instead of the states, from a constitutional perspective?
I don’t, necessarily. Earlier in another thread I felt the decision was correct as I thought it was a states issue.

HOWEVER……..I also realize making it a states issue is not going to solve anything. There will likely be large discrepancies in laws among the states. If Congress decides the matter on the Federal level, it will at least establish a single criteria that applies to all. Hopefully it will be a “middle ground” that won’t please everyone, but at least be somewhat acceptable. Even though I still think it is a states issue, I also believe Congress will ultimately need to get involved for the sole reason of putting the abortion issue (somewhat) to rest.

It was not a matter of if…but when….Roe would be overturned.

I love when people tell me what I think, so how strong do I think the support is for full term abortion?
Maybe this is the simpler question; in your estimation, in, lets say 18 months time, how many states will have zero abortion access?

Zero access? I'll say six.

Personal responsibility and making good decisions. All comes from the same side of the mouth
You understand that more and more kids without fathers will become the very issue you love to hate, right? Many of these single moms will be on welfare as well. You get that too, right?

Reactions: mattymoknows
Lol your utopia doesn’t exist. We don’t subsidize being a parent in this country. I can be against murder and also have the position that I have no obligation to raise your children. We shouldn’t murder children because they are a burden on you.

I am 33 years old with no children. I took measures to make sure I don’t have children. I don’t feel I am in a position to raise a child and being as I am an adult it is my responsibility to not bring a child that would inconvenience me into the world.

I’ve also had talks with every person that I’ve had sex with and told them I don’t support an abortion. Personal responsibility.
Yes we do subsidize being a parent. They are called tax credits. EITC.

Well...if you have women crossing state lines to obtain an abortion, then Commerce Clause would be a jurisdictional hook.
That's an interesting take on interstate commerce. Traditionally meaning has been product or service crossing state lines. I assume you are using the Ogden standard, which blurred everything. As soon as some state does something stupid by prohibiting women residents from crossing state lines, that opens up a commerce clause claim.

Let's assume Congress passes a national law. It will undoubtedly be challenged by a lot of states. If it makes it to SCOTUS, with the current makeup, Roberts would undoubtedly vote to allow a federal law, as would the liberals. I'd think Gorsuch would go with the states. I'm not sure about the others.

That's an interesting take on interstate commerce. Traditionally meaning has been product or service crossing state lines. I assume you are using the Ogden standard, which blurred everything. As soon as some state does something stupid by prohibiting women residents from crossing state lines, that opens up a commerce clause claim.

Let's assume Congress passes a national law. It will undoubtedly be challenged by a lot of states. If it makes it to SCOTUS, with the current makeup, Roberts would undoubtedly vote to allow a federal law, as would the liberals. I'd think Gorsuch would go with the states. I'm not sure about the others.
I don't know how this court would receive a national law allowing abortion during the first trimester.

Not covered. Abortion involves DNA that is not your own. Constitution says what it says, sorry. It’s a good day. Many people will get to live a life that otherwise could have been cut down before it started. If you absolutely need to murder your children then go to New York
So you're OK with gun regulations when it comes to kids getting cut down

Congress never passed legislation because it was settled case law for 50 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT