ADVERTISEMENT

The worst pain?

I got a badly infected sliding (baseball) wound that had to be scraped two days in a row. The technician that had to do it wept a little.

Broken ankle. It's really the sprained part that hurt.

Diverticulitis. I couldn't stand upright.

Penis in zipper. Pants had to be cut.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Kidney stone was up there and mine was small. I don't think it ever came out. A hammer to the big toe without shoes and landing on my big toe perpendicular to the ground to where the nail split in half vertically also didn't feel great.

I am really skinny and play a lot of sports. I have no idea how it isn't worse.

I got my wisdom teeth taken out by an oral surgeon when I was 18 that looked like Joseph Mengele with a mustache.

I barely had any pain killers during the torture. My face was swelled up and my gums bled for a week.

I should have sued.

Car battery exploded and spewed acid in my face.

Bottom of a compressed air cylinder gave out and sliced my finger open, busted an ear drum and bruised my hand.

Standing in the Yum Center when UVA beat Purdue in the 2019 Elite 8 game.

Torn Achilles and the nurse thinks a good idea to take my high top shoe that has a sleeve on it and pull it off.
She tried once and I said cut it off.
She pulled again and I dropped a few words out loud with the door open to the public .

I’ve been told that gout is the worst pain a man can witness, next to kidney stones.

I’ve found nothing to support otherwise.
It just doesn't make any sense. You spend most of the first few times saying, "How is this possible?"

Reactions: mattymoknows
Herniated disk in my lower back. Felt like I was out of alignment for a weekend. Then it kept herniating off and on till I blew it out then herniated another disk. When hurt your lower back and it is so screwed up that you can’t walk and only crawl to get around, it’s bad. You take for granted walking and moving with ease.

Every time I hurt my back I’d get a prescription for the z pack with steroids and prednisone to reduce the inflammation and pull the disk back into its area to take pressure off the nerve. It was such a relief when that happened. Only swells up occasionally now when working out or I strain my back doing things I shouldn’t, ie lift heavy or carry heavy things.

My heart was out of rhythm and when that happens, I can drop on a dime and totally unexpectedly. I caught a table on the way down. When I woke up, I thought my head was in half.
I feel ya. I asked months ago if anyone had died before and people on this board wanted to play the part of someone playing the part of somebody logical. I can tell you how death feels and it’s ****ing haunting. I can also tell you a testicular torsion is worse than death.

Reading this thread, first all of you have my empathy and no homo appreciation.

And now I feel sick reading this thread 😉

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Fairly recently I had a kidney stone form in my bladder. One day, rather out of the blue, I couldn't freaking pee.

As far as getting catheterized I knew from very early on that should strictly be avoided!!! (had been "threatened" with such post-op as a 12 year-old).

Now, all these years later, I was BEGGING to be cathed. At the Main Hospital ER they told me my bladder wasn't full enough ... GO BACK TO THE WAITING ROOM (seriously, NOT nice about it at all).

By networking we learned at "South" the ER wasn't very full. I drove breakneck speed across town just writhing (wifey goes about 30 mph in-town). There, they triaged me correctly and accurately. Then ... FINALLY the tremendous pressure and pain was released.

Since then, we blew up that stone real good. Got me a catheter kit now too. Pretty proud of it. Couldn't have ever imagined doing it at home and much less at my own hand, but I would probably jump on it now. Need be of course.

Had ACL surgery in high school. The day after returning home I contracted influenza. I was so delirious that I threw away my pain pills and they would not prescribe more. I literally had to crawl to the toilet to puke and slept in the bathroom multiple times. The worst three or four days of my life by far.

1975 I had a front tooth chipped and needed a root canal done. I was living on campus at Iowa, and poor, so I used the Iowa dental school to do the work. First day in they numbed me up and scraped all the nerves out. Next time in the guy explains the first thing they have to do is make sure all the nerves are gone, and that the way they did it was by sticking a probe in to scrape around. As long as I felt pain it meant there were nerves remaining.

Now, when a dentist tells you you’re going to feel discomfort you know it’s going to hurt badly. This guy said, “if the nerves are still there it’s going to hurt quite a bit.” The nerves were not all gone. I will let you imagine the pain level. He had to stick it in there at least half a dozen times, giving me about five or ten minutes to recover each time.

To this day no movie scene will drop me to the floor cringing like “Is it safe?” from Marathon Man.

Ruptured (not herniated) L4/L5 disc when I landed in Los Angeles from Denver. Flew into LAX to visit a friend in Santa Monica before driving out to cover a week of nights out in Loma Linda (hour to hour and half on Sunday afternoon). It's impossible to get comfortable when disc bulges/impinges, but stuck in a car or airplane is a whole other level of hell. I drove about 100mph to my hotel in San Bernardino while considering yanking the wheel to into concrete walls to end it or wishing I got pulled over so I'd get medical attention and have an excuse for leaving everyone at work up shit creek. I made it through the week by laying on the floor after about every 10 steps, if possible. The good part about a ruptured disc is that the pain goes away in about 3 days or so. The rub to that is that the fluid inside the disc killed the nerve root and you not only don't have pain....you don't have full use your leg.

I have seen folks with kidney stones....don’t want go there!

The first time I had an attack of diverticulosis...Summertime and I had allowed myself to get dehydrated...A miserable 24 hrs until I got fluids going, and the anti-biotics kicked in.

val kilmer tombstone GIF

Gout is approximately 9,988.9% more painful than the couple of broken bones I have suffered
I’ve had broken ribs, three back surgeries, kidney cancer, a knee surgery, a foot surgery, a 360 degree labrum tear and surgery for that. All child’s play compared to some of the gout attacks I’ve had.

Gout is approximately 9,988.9% more painful than the couple of broken bones I have suffered
Gout can be a real motherphuquer, no doubt! My “experience” has been I usually can tell an attack is eminent a couple of days ahead of time and I can start a few days of steroids and a gout medicine to “soften” the affects...
Usually I will notice some discomfort in my foot and a change in my urine flow as precursors. Coupled together...

What’s the worst physical pain that you’ve ever experienced?
I have had a few gout attacks over the years. I also ripped my pec off the bone while lifting, and it had to be surgically attached. The injury felt like I was struck by lightning where my pec was formerly attached. The rehab and surgery sucked. I would rather do that a few times again than suffer gout attacks that persist and don’t go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: chubby bunny
Always had pain in one of my ankles if i stood all day (sporting event, concert). I would limp around for a day or two before the pain went away.

The worst pain i had was dealing with that pain working a job that required me to be on my feet all day. only time i wasnt in pain was when i was sleeping. There were many nights inwould fall asleep with tears in my eyes from the pain wishing to not wake up in the morning.

Last edited:
Gout can be a real motherphuquer, no doubt! My “experience” has been I usually can tell an attack is eminent a couple of days ahead of time and I can start a few days of steroids and a gout medicine to “soften” the affects...
Usually I will notice some discomfort in my foot and a change in my urine flow as precursors. Coupled together...
Yup. I feel the tingle in my foot when I pee. It's like Hell's version of Spidey sense.

• Haha
Reactions: mattymoknows
It only lasted about 5 seconds but as a kid I had little under 1/2 inch size staff infection removed from my big toe. The doctor started removing before the pain meds had went into effect. I jumped, recoiled and screamed all at the same time.

I am embarrassed typing that after reading everybody elses stories.
Back in 1937 my dad spent a night in the dentist’s chair as the doc removed a couple of broken tooth stubs from his mouth, that were kicked out in a HS football game...Dad never was a fan of dentists, and when he told me this story, I can understand why! Viva Novacaine!

child birth x 2. It completely redefined my definition of when something hurts.

Only thing that was even remotely close was my infamous hoverboard accident. I had a broken arm for eight days before I happened to be at the doctor for my physical and mentioned that I couldn't straighten my arm and it was sore. Childbirth was much worse than that.

I got a badly infected sliding (baseball) wound that had to be scraped two days in a row. The technician that had to do it wept a little.

Broken ankle. It's really the sprained part that hurt.

Diverticulitis. I couldn't stand upright.

I feel like I'm missing something.
Missing your penis maybe? Did they cut it off with your pants?

child birth x 2. It completely redefined my definition of when something hurts.

Only thing that was even remotely close was my infamous hoverboard accident. I had a broken arm for eight days before I happened to be at the doctor for my physical and mentioned that I couldn't straighten my arm and it was sore. Childbirth was much worse than that.
My mom once told me thT there must be something unique to females because as you mentioned...it is one painful event...,yet, mothers more often than not experience multiple pregnancies...
Mom told me that the only time she thought about the pain of child birth was when she was experiencing it! (5 times for her). One the baby was born....The pain was minimal and certainly bearable.

A broken collarbone, I suppose.

After high school, I worked in a printing facility with the long offset printing presses. Saw a guy trying to put a new plate on a cylinder and someone advanced it before he got his arm and hand out of it. He screamed. The hand and arm, when removed, looked like it had gone through a meat grinder.

In the same facility, saw a guy jump up into a fork truck when he He sat down, he somehow sat on his testicle with enough force to make it explode. He was in such pain he was dry heaving and had blood all over his pants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT