ADVERTISEMENT

The worst pain?

I believe the benign tumor that had to be scraped off my knee was worse than the torn acl/meniscus I later experienced. The surgeon said recovery would be extremely painful as anytime you have to scrape bone it is bad (I am sure they have a better way to do it now). I know some people who had little pain with ACL tears, but unfortunately I also shredded the meniscus so it was really bad until the surgery, and then the surgeon debated pulling the meniscus, but didn't want me to be bone on bone so he trimmed it as best he could and told me never to get in a catcher's crouch as next time it tears it will be unsalvageable.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Kidney stone... at first it sucked then got pain meds and passed it in a couple hours only feeling slightly uncomfortable.

Root canal... was not prescribed a high enough pain dosage after the procedure. Went to sleep at 7pm and woke up around midnight in terrible pain wanting to rip my jaw off my face. Had to go to the ER to get my dosage way upped and that eventually helped.

Herniated L5 disk... started out with sciatica and generally worsened to the point of being barely able to walk, actually crying and almost passing out from the pain. Went to the ER and got an MRI done and was immediately referred to a neurologist the next day. Went over my options with the doc and we decided I was to young to go through back surgery and recommended an epidural the next day. I got the epidural the next day and I could notice a difference right away. A week later I was back at work after a month off in my labor intensive job. This was by far the worst prolonging pain I ever Went through. I wouldn't wish back problems on my worst enemy. Thankfully, it's been 5 years since my epidural and I haven't had any setbacks and am still doing my physical job. I also started putting my fat wallet in my front pants pocket instead of back and think that has made a difference as well.

For me, I had (well, still have) a torn labrum that I mistakenly allowed to not get figured out for far too long. The swelling got so bad that I really couldn't move the entire shoulder area at all. I felt it from my neck/ear area to halfway down my side. I'd tuck my arm into the front pants pocket to limit overall movement as I walked.

I had what amounted to be a hump, the inflammation got so bad I'd sort of contort myself trying to ease the pressure. Yet for some unknown reason (now) I simply would not go see a doctor about it until one day I simply had had enough.

One cortisone shot later...never had an issue since. Now this sounds simple, but I knew shoulder issues were tricky and shoulder surgeries don't always have good outcomes - and I also knew cortisone shots are more or less a one time deal where if it doesn't work you can't just go get another one in the same location.

But this time X marked the spot - the doc hit the bull's eye - and I've never had an issue since.
Yeah, my Dr missed the spot. The ortho was pissed that he did it essentially by guessing. I ended up getting Platelet-rich plasma therapy eventually and that really seemed to help.

• Wow
For those who have mentioned lumbar disk issues, I had an MRI in August. It revealed bulging disks at every level including L5-S1, severe nerve impingement at two levels and advanced arthritis throughout. My back is too screwed up to be fixed surgically, so it's pain management for the rest of my life.
Most of the time, the pain is manageable. I am not in constant pain but am in constant discomfort. But, when it is bad, the pain is unbearable. There is no way to sit, stand, lie down, etc. without cringing pain. Fortunately, I haven't had one of those episodes in a while.

Last edited:
For those who have mentioned lumbar disk issues, I had an MRI in August. It revealed bulging disks at every level including L5-S1, severe nerve impingement at two levels and advanced arthritis throughout. My back is too screwed up to be fixed surgically so it's pain management for the rest of my life.
Most of the time the pain is manageable. I am not in constant pain but am in constant discomfort. But when it is bad the pain is unbearable. There is no way to sit, stand, lie down, etc. without cringing pain. Fortunately, I haven't had one of those episodes in a while.
Wow. I hope someone comes up with a way to make you comfortable or fix the issue.

Getting the needle stuck in my toe multiple times for an ingrown toenail was terrible. Up there with chronic epididymitis. Had another shoulder surgery in September. The 24 hour nerve block wore off an hour after i left the surgery center. Hadn't even gotten to the pharmacy yet to get my pain killers. Playing the catchup game was awful.

What’s the worst physical pain that you’ve ever experienced?
Getting a bandage removed from my big toe after having my big toenail yanked off by the doctor because it got caught under an opening grocery store door. The bandage had become stuck on the scab and even soaking it wouldn't release it. The doctor just yanked it off...

What’s the worst physical pain that you’ve ever experienced?
Getting a bandage removed from my big toe after having my big toenail yanked off by the doctor because it got caught under an opening grocery store door. The bandage had become stuck on the scab and even soaking it wouldn't release it. The doctor just yanked it off...

Close second was dislocating my shoulder.

For those who have mentioned lumbar disk issues, I had an MRI in August. It revealed bulging disks at every level including L5-S1, severe nerve impingement at two levels and advanced arthritis throughout. My back is too screwed up to be fixed surgically so it's pain management for the rest of my life.
Most of the time the pain is manageable. I am not in constant pain but am in constant discomfort. But when it is bad the pain is unbearable. There is no way to sit, stand, lie down, etc. without cringing pain. Fortunately, I haven't had one of those episodes in a while.

Sorry.

Have you ever wondered why there's chronic pain but not chronic pleasure?

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Back in 2021, I bought a used car at a dealer about 50 miles away.

I got it inspected by my mechanic and drove back and forth to the dealer a few times.

I think the stress of the whole purchase caused me to strain the neck muscle that goes down to the shoulders.

My neck hurt bad for 3 weeks. I could barely sleep or lift myself out of bed. I tried Icy Hot, heating pads and massage devices and nothing worked.

I couldn't live like that for a year, I think. It's like being trapped in a body.

Wow. I hope someone comes up with a way to make you comfortable or fix the issue.
Thanks. I'm tired of taking pills. On Monday, I start a series of two injections followed by a nerve ablation. The goal is to identify the nerve block that sends the pain signals to my brain and then burn it. Of course, the nerves will regenerate but my doctor says he's had patients that have gotten relief for nearly a year doing this. The good thing is if it doesn't work, I won't be any worse off. Except for my wallet. I call this a win/win.

Thanks. I'm tired of taking pills. On Monday, I start a series of two injections followed by a nerve ablation. The goal is to identify the nerve block that sends the pain signals to my brain and then burn it. Of course, the nerves will regenerate but my doctor says he's had patients that have gotten relief for nearly a year doing this. The good thing is if it doesn't work, I won't be any worse off. Except for my wallet. I call this a win/win.

Godspeed.

What caused your back pain?

Work?

For those who have mentioned lumbar disk issues, I had an MRI in August. It revealed bulging disks at every level including L5-S1, severe nerve impingement at two levels and advanced arthritis throughout. My back is too screwed up to be fixed surgically, so it's pain management for the rest of my life.
Most of the time, the pain is manageable. I am not in constant pain but am in constant discomfort. But, when it is bad, the pain is unbearable. There is no way to sit, stand, lie down, etc. without cringing pain. Fortunately, I haven't had one of those episodes in a while.
Did you try an epidural injection? It worked wonders for me.

Did you try an epidural injection? It worked wonders for me.

Did you do a Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon move to relocate it?

No, the hospital took care of that. It was very strange because they put me under to relocate it and apparently I was moaning in pain as they maneuvered it prior to the snap into location. I woke up immediately at the end of the snap... must have been some good drugs. My partner, now husband, was in the room as they let him stay since he's a doctor and knew all of the ER folks.

Losing my oldest son in Afghanistan. I still feel it everyday and it's been over 10 years ago.

Passing a kidney stone wasn't pleasant either. But it passed and I hardly ever think about it.

Shoulder replacement after a car wreck in 2001. It was six months before I could sleep flat on my back. PT 3 times a week for several months was like medieval torture.

By far the ear drain from cauliflower. Or a septoplasty not the actual surgery but when they removed the silicon tubes from my nasal cavity. Those 2 top the list even higher than a couple broken ribs and torn cartilage in the rib cage.Broken arm fractured elbow and dislocated shoulder.

By far the ear drain from cauliflower. Or a septoplasty not the actual surgery but when they removed the silicon tubes from my nasal cavity. Those 2 top the list even higher than a couple broken ribs and torn cartilage in the rib cage.Broken arm fractured elbow and dislocated shoulder.
Jesus

Cut my thumb off with a table saw. Wasn’t painful until an hour later. For 3 days it felt like I had my hand in a fire. Very little sleep. Finally got better pain meds and it was bearable.

I really want to, but I can not give this post 2 thumbs up

(nor can you apparently)

Rimshot GIF

Damn I never even knew anyone with Gout until this thread.

My worst is probably nothing compared to these. I had an old silver filling replaced with the new white ones. The next day my tooth hurt so bad I couldn't eat or drink anything hot or cold. Called the dentist and he was closed for the next week for vacation. Then I went on vacation for a week, It was the worst 2 weeks of my life so far. I was constantly on a pain cocktail of 8 pills every four hours.

Damn I never even knew anyone with Gout until this thread.

My worst is probably nothing compared to these. I had an old silver filling replaced with the new white ones. The next day my tooth hurt so bad I couldn't eat or drink anything hot or cold. Called the dentist and he was closed for the next week for vacation. Then I went on vacation for a week, It was the worst 2 weeks of my life so far. I was constantly on a pain cocktail of 8 pills every four hours.
That sucks. Must have drilled too deep and hit a nerve. Did you end up with a root canal?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT