ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Akwuba

Yes please! This is honestly the type of player I feel the Hawks need moreso than a guy like Aimaq. I'm not just saying that because we likely aren't getting Aimaq either.
If I get the choice, I would prefer Aimaq, but this guy would be a great addition. Good athlete, can play D. Looks like he moves well enough he can defend the pick and roll.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
I believe we have a chance with this guy, throw him some nil money and get him signed. wonder if he has used hi Covid year?

Reactions: truehawkfan45
If Akwuba comes to Iowa, then Rebraca had better start practicing his 3s! I imagine FR will get much more time at the 4 rather than exclusively at the 5..
It's not an either/or type of thing. Assuming Kris Murray comes back, he will be playing as many minutes as he can take against good teams. Think Keegan-like, 35+ minutes a game against Big 10 teams. That does not leave a ton of minutes for others to play the 4.

Akwuba and Rebraca could have a 25-15-ish type of divide of minutes, which would be just fine.

It's not an either/or type of thing. Assuming Kris Murray comes back, he will be playing as many minutes as he can take against good teams. Think Keegan-like, 35+ minutes a game against Big 10 teams. That does not leave a ton of minutes for others to play the 4.

Akwuba and Rebraca could have a 25-15-ish type of divide of minutes, which would be just fine.
I agree about Kris- the more minutes that he's on the floor, the better Iowa will be. Someone has to play backup minutes at the 4 though, and Kris was definitely more foul-prone than his brother. I don't see anyone else on the roster helping at the 4 (please not CMac), and so I think FR will/should see time at 4 & 5.

Yes, we want this guy. Will instantly make our 5 spot better. We could be way better next year with a very athletic center. We need PG to get sorted out quickly.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I agree about Kris- the more minutes that he's on the floor, the better Iowa will be. Someone has to play backup minutes at the 4 though, and Kris was definitely more foul-prone than his brother. I don't see anyone else on the roster helping at the 4 (please not CMac), and so I think FR will/should see time at 4 & 5.
If Akwuba commits I don't see Rebraca getting many minutes at the 4, unless a team like Indiana has TJD on the floor with another big. Even then Murray can match up with TJD.

Whatever minutes Murray doesn't get at the 4 will be pushed to Pat, Connor in limited minutes, or even Sandfort in smaller lineups. There's not many minutes after Kris though.

If Akwuba commits I don't see Rebraca getting many minutes at the 4, unless a team like Indiana has TJD on the floor with another big. Even then Murray can match up with TJD.

Whatever minutes Murray doesn't get at the 4 will be pushed to Pat, Connor in limited minutes, or even Sandfort in smaller lineups. There's not many minutes after Kris though.
Unless he gets a LOT better at avoiding fouls, Kris will stll have those head-scratcher games where he gets 2 fouls in 30 seconds. I am hoping that he has outgrown that but I think we'll still see it from time to time. It would be nice to have the luxery of depth. Bringing in waves of fresh, strong forwards and centers would be nice for pounding on the league bigs at PU and MI.

I would love to welcome a defensive minded big, something we havent had in a LONG time.

My only concern is how the rotations would work out. IF we get Theo, and thats a big if, we would have 4 bigs that have zero outside range. In today's game, its pretty tough to have 2 bigs that cant shoot on the court at the same time.

But hey, ISU couldn't shoot for shit and they made it to a sweet 16. I'm down for anything

They don't "need" a big who is an outside threat. They do "need" defense and rebounding.

They don't "need" a big who is an outside threat. They do "need" defense and rebounding.

His blocks per 100 possessions is slightly higher than Keegan's, for comparison. His PER was 20 which is solid, and his rebounds per 100 possessions was 18 or so, a bit higher than Keegan's. He just gets his solid PER rating by getting a lot of dunks, putbacks and short range hooks. He can shoot a hook with either hand so he's a bit harder to guard even though he doesn't have a lot of other post moves or much of a face up game.

I like the big from Texas a bit better, but either would be a welcome addition and give us a lot more flexibility at the F and C spots where we can then play matchups to our favor.

His blocks per 100 possessions is slightly higher than Keegan's, for comparison. His PER was 20 which is solid, and his rebounds per 100 possessions was 18 or so, a bit higher than Keegan's. He just gets his solid PER rating by getting a lot of dunks, putbacks and short range hooks. He can shoot a hook with either hand so he's a bit harder to guard even though he doesn't have a lot of other post moves or much of a face up game.

I like the big from Texas a bit better, but either would be a welcome addition and give us a lot more flexibility at the F and C spots where we can then play matchups to our favor.
Who is the big from Texas?

This is a free story.

“Iowa was my first visit. I like their system and style of play and had a great discussion with Coach Mcaffery about how I’d fit right in with their system and how I’d also bring a different dimension with my defense.”

Earlier Thursday, Akwuba said he had a list of schools that include Iowa, NC State, Mississippi, Penn State, and South Carolina. It’s unknown if he will take more visits and when they would take place.

The full story:

Reactions: Ignored
Is he more foul prone or is he just not a top 10 player in the NCAA?

Connor has actually been serviceable at the 4. He plays tough defense and stands his ground. I think you can play him there as long as it's with Akwuba.

Reactions: perryhawk
Little hook, a little drop step, finishes....be a good addition
CFIg.gif

His offensive skill sets need a lot more polishing if he is going to be productive in the B1G. However his defensive capabilities will work really well in the B1G. Maybe that is why he likes Iowa. Iowa's offensive philosophy would be a benefit to his game. A post player like him will be a must for this team and would help free up Rebraca and Kris and allow them to play within their offensive, defensive and positional strengths.

From what I have heard Iowa has plenty of NIL money to hook players up with. Should have a system in place in a month or two.
ISUs fund is focused on paying players already on scholarship per a radio interview this week. So player retention, not player acquisition per the portal.

Will be interesting to see how Iowa’s is done. Really should be both sides, but with limited funds will be hard to make everyone happy.

ISUs fund is focused on paying players already on scholarship per a radio interview this week. So player retention, not player acquisition per the portal.

Will be interesting to see how Iowa’s is done. Really should be both sides, but with limited funds will be hard to make everyone happy.
I have no idea how it will all work as apparently plans are in development stage but I don't think $$$$ will be the problem from what I was told.

Can someone explain briefly how NIL money works? Is it money directly from the university athletic department? Are there limits, beyond the money that a school is willing to pay?...

Reactions: skydog0784
I would love to welcome a defensive minded big, something we havent had in a LONG time.

My only concern is how the rotations would work out. IF we get Theo, and thats a big if, we would have 4 bigs that have zero outside range. In today's game, its pretty tough to have 2 bigs that cant shoot on the court at the same time.

But hey, ISU couldn't shoot for shit and they made it to a sweet 16. I'm down for anything
Don't sell Mulvey short on his range. He may not be ready for a lot of minutes this year, but he is a better shooter than people think.

He's gotta stay out of foul trouble if he's gonna get 35mpg
Hopefully he does!

Funds shouldn't be very limited...

Money cannot come from the university.
So, if you have some rich alums or area businesses are willing to spend their money, there are no limits? Some highly recruited players might have a pay cut after college. Sure makes a lot of sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT