ADVERTISEMENT

time to speculate about this falls starting Offense

would have liked to have actually seen the d-line healthy against the O-line. Without Lee, Black, and Shannon, it was difficult to gauge where the line is actually at. Jones at C doesn't give a ton of confidence either. I was really hoping Feth would be sliding there.
The OL was even more hurt/not here. Richman, Colby, Myslinski, Parker were all hurt, and Feth isn’t here yet. You may have been watching 20% of the starting OL in the fall.

LT Richman
LG Colby
C Feth
RG Stephens
RT Dunker or Parker
TE All
TE Lachey
WR Ragini
WR Vines
WR Anderson (when playing 3)
RB Johnson

The line is a little iffy at C and RT. (Possibly wishful thinking because I think he is awful and showed insignificant improvement as the season wore on) and we didn't bring in a MAC All Conference center to back up the worst starting center in the Big Ten. More of an intel bas hunch on Dunker. It will be hard to be as bad as last season, which is good news and I think much improved. I also think the receivers that actually play this season will be better than the group that actually played last season.

Two things also work in Iowa's favor. 1. We are due for some good luck on offense. 2. There's a possible breakout guy on the roster. Predicting someone, and my best guess right now is Tyler Washington.

LT Richman
LG Colby
C Feth
RG Stephens
RT Dunker or Parker
TE All
TE Lachey
WR Ragini
WR Vines
RB Johnson

The line is a little iffy at C and RT. (Possibly wishful thinking because I think he is awful and showed insignificant improvement as the season wore on) and we didn't bring in a MAC All Conference center to back up the worst starting center in the Big Ten. More of an intel bas hunch on Dunker. It will be hard to be as bad as last season, which is good news and I think much improved. I also think the receivers that actually play this season will be better than the group that actually played last season.

Two things also work in Iowa's favor. 1. We are due for some good luck on offense. 2. There's a possible breakout guy on the roster. Predicting someone, and my best guess right now is Tyler Washington.
Washington is an intriguing guy.

Didn’t hear anything about him from the spring, but he should still be in high school, so his head might be spinning at this point.

DeJong's nickname on the team was "Turnstile".

And that's a really ugly projection on the OLine, imo.

As predicted...that offense is worth about 10-14 points a game.
PP has his work cut out for him helping BF keep his job.
I agree with your OLine projection to a point. If Richman can improve just 10-15% and not give up the quick edge rush and be a more powerful run blocker then that is a start. People are saying Logan Jones is snapping the ball better and Jones admitted he had too much to think about pre-snap last year so if that is better then the OLine getting off the snap is better.

But is Jones even going to be a starter as maybe the coaches think he is the better center and they need him there.

And I sure hope the incoming transfer at RTackle, iirc Parker, is a big improvement because that is an utmost concern. So if both tackles are better and the center position is better then that is huge.

And let's hope the coaches and guards can improve that area and maybe , just maybe the OLine will be much better.

But be ready for the 8 men in the box and constant blitzing by opponents at least early in the schedule. And underdog opponents will have nothing to lose but to pressure our offense a lot

I agree with your OLine projection to a point. If Richman can improve just 10-15% and not give up the quick edge rush and be a more powerful run blocker then that is a start. People are saying Logan Jones is snapping the ball better and Jones admitted he had too much to think about pre-snap last year so if that is better then the OLine getting off the snap is better.

But is Jones even going to be a starter as maybe the coaches think he is the better center and they need him there.

And I sure hope the incoming transfer at RTackle, iirc Parker, is a big improvement because that is an utmost concern. So if both tackles are better and the center position is better then that is huge.

And let's hope the coaches and guards can improve that area and maybe , just maybe the OLine will be much better.

But be ready for the 8 men in the box and constant blitzing by opponents at least early in the schedule. And underdog opponents will have nothing to lose but to pressure our offense a lot
Well that's where the much more accurate and quick release QB comes in. Iowa has plays for that situation, it's been four years since we've seen anyone that can get the ball out quickly or identify the hole in the defense. That, coupled with two future NFL starters at TE should make the crash 8 defenses more vulnerable to people that can make plays in space.

One of the huge differences quarterbacking makes.

Last edited:
I already said for some reason I was thinking of Plumb, and admitted I made a mistake. So that makes me stupid? You never make a mistake? When you do, I hope you are called stupid, too.

Get over yourself, Mr. Perfect.
s-l1600.jpg

LT Richman
LG Colby
C Feth
RG Stephens
RT Dunker or Parker
TE All
TE Lachey
WR Ragini
WR Vines
RB Johnson

I hope I am wrong, but I am of the belief that Iowa doesn’t sit Jones and Feth plays guard? I don’t know…. I just have a feeling. Really wish Myslinski could stay healthy.

The offense will look the same, no clear direction on scheme or play calling

The difference will likely be, not having the worst QB in CFB playing. TE and RB will be a strength

If they go 10-2 it doesn’t matter what the stats say
Actually it does. Because 2021 wasn’t sustainable. The offense was bad, regardless of how many times the defense won games. And they still got blown out three times that season. And 2021 I guess led to our offensive coaches thinking no changes were needed for 2022. And that led to more blowouts by the blue bloods and incredibly close games against South Dakota State, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska, and Iowa State.

Iowa’s played 27 games the last two seasons. 13 of those games the defense and/or special teams played so well it didn’t matter what the offense did. (2021 -Indiana, Iowa State, Kent State, Colorado State, Maryland, Illinois, Nebraska, 2022 - Nevada, Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin, Kentucky). Iowa won all these games.

In the other 14 games it mattered what the offense did. (2021 - Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Michigan BTT, Kentucky, 2022 - South Dakota State, Iowa State, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State, Minnesota, Nebraska). Iowa has five wins and nine losses in these games.
And the offense really only played well with one big play against Penn State in 2021, a great first half against Northwestern in 2021, and then maybe Minnesota 2021 with big plays by the receivers.

That’s shocking.

Actually it does. Because 2021 wasn’t sustainable. The offense was bad, regardless of how many times the defense won games. And they still got blown out three times that season. And 2021 I guess led to our offensive coaches thinking no changes were needed for 2022. And that led to more blowouts by the blue bloods and incredibly close games against South Dakota State, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska, and Iowa State.
That really is not coherent.

Regardless of 2021 or 2022 if they go 10-2 this year, the stats don’t mean a damn thing. you can win a game with special teams, defense or offense, all three sides of the ball go into winning games. if they win ten games, they win ten.

Reactions: F5n5
That really is not coherent.

Regardless of 2021 or 2022 if they go 10-2 this year, the stats don’t mean a damn thing. you can win a game with special teams, defense or offense, all three sides of the ball go into winning games. if they win ten games, they win ten.
That’s the thing. And they had an all time great defense in 2022 and won 7. Because there are times when your offense has to win you a game, because the defense might have an off day, be playing a powerhouse etc. And Iowa hasn’t had the ability to do that in a while. When is the last time iowa won a game when the offense was called upon to score 30 plus?!? Maybe like five or six years. That overtime game at ISU maybe?!? Minnesota in 2018?

Last edited:
Reactions: uihawk82
That’s the thing. And they had an all time great defense in 2022 and won 7. Because there are times when your offense has to win you a game, because the defense might have an off day, be playing a powerhouse etc. And Iowa hasn’t had the ability to do that in a while. When is the last time iowa won a game when the offense was called upon to score 30 plus?!? Maybe like five or six years. That overtime game at ISU maybe?!? Minnesota in 2018?
so if they win ten games this year are you still going to piss and moan ?

Time to modernize the offense.
If not to a Spread offense, then at least to a Triple Option or maybe the Wing-T.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
There’s absolutely no way Brian is back if he doesn’t hit those goals. They set them so low it will be hard to not achieve them though.
The fact that 25 points includes defensive and special teams scores is a head shaker and that has nothing to do with the offensive coordinator outside of putting us in fg position. The 7 game mark is even more embarrassing and is an incredibly low bar.

Reactions: sober_teacher
If they win seven games this year, are you still going to celebrate?
See, they went 8-5 this year an no where will you see me celebrating that. however we are discussing if they hypothetically go 10-2 this year and you are clearly biching and moaning about 10-2 if the statistics don’t please you.

See, they went 8-5 this year an no where will you see me celebrating that. however we are discussing if they hypothetically go 10-2 this year and you are clearly biching and moaning about 10-2 if the statistics don’t please you.
Because winning football games like they’ve done the last two years is not sustainable. As seen by how many times they’ve been blown out of games. When was the last time Iowa was blown out five times across two seasons? Probably have to go back to Hayden’s last season in 1999 and Kirk’s first in 2000. And that’s with two excellent special teams and defensive units the past two years.

The fact that 25 points includes defensive and special teams scores is a head shaker and that has nothing to do with the offensive coordinator outside of putting us in fg position. The 7 game mark is even more embarrassing and is an incredibly low bar.
Why wouldn't field goals and extra points count?

Lots of teams get blown out in Columbus, Ohio.

Lots of teams get blown out in Columbus, Ohio.
Listen. Getting blown out by Ohio State and Michigan is understandable. Without an offense you have no chance against OSU and Michigan. As we’ve lost by a combined score of 123 to 27 the last three games.

What about getting blown out at home to an average Purdue team as the number 2 team in the country? What about putting up 156 yards and getting the doors blown off at Madison? Those are the games that we really should be focusing on.

Last edited:
Listen. Getting blown out by Ohio State and Michigan is understandable. Without an offense you have no chance against OSU and Michigan. As we’ve lost by a combined score of 123 to 27 the last three games.

What getting blown out at home to an average Purdue team as the number 2 team in the country? What about putting up 156 yards and getting the doors blown off at Madison? Those are the games that we really should be focusing on.
I'd argue we did not get blown out when Michigan came to Kinnick last fall. Even look at Spencer's completion % in that one, it was not bad. Cade will be a huge improvement.

Reactions: sober_teacher
The offense will look the same, no clear direction on scheme or play calling

The difference will likely be, not having the worst QB in CFB playing. TE and RB will be a strength
I believe there may be a few wrinkles added to the pro-style scheme (more passes to RBs, e.g.) but I totally agree with your point that McNamara replacing Petras is, by itself, a huge, huge positive difference.

Fg’s and extra points are ok as they are a part of the offense. KO and punt returns as well as defensive scores should not bail out BF, IMO.
Where kick returns / punt returns really help is if they bust a good one but don't make the TD. That would happen much more often then us taking one all the way back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT