ADVERTISEMENT

Top Gun: Maverick

Loved it as well with the same thoughts. And for bdg8 can’t imagine an 8-year old NOT loving it. Action packed. The only somewhat negative review was from my FIL who in an old man yells at cloud moment said, “it was alright. Too many airplanes.”
My 17 yr old thought it was good but said there wasn’t enough fighter scenes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Tenacious E
EMB-PAY-EXCLUSIVE-Kelly-McGillis-in-North-Carolina.jpg

Like a fine wine
You should drink better wine

Reactions: bdg8
So who is the enemy is this movie?
Its meant to be nondescript. As was the original Top Gun. Neither mentioned the nation of conflict by name. They battled Migs in the original and Sukhois in this version so its implied to be a Russian ally but neither movie actually stated that.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Btw no one so far mentioned that the attack plan is basically Star Wars with F\A18s? I actually laughed out loud a bit in the theatre when they briefing the plan.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Btw no one so far mentioned that the attack plan is basically Star Wars with F\A18s? I actually laughed out loud a bit in the theatre when they briefing the plan.
I believe it has been widely discussed, at least in every review I have read. I thought someone mentioned it earlier here

So who is the enemy is this movie?
Back in the 90s and 00s the enemy in our Intel Training scenarios was "RedLand" ...made up, ambiguous BS enemy. I assume its the same here. When your target audience is global, you don't want to villainize any particular country.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Back in the 90s and 00s the enemy in our Intel Training scenarios was "RedLand" ...made up, ambiguous BS enemy. I assume its the same here. When your target audience is global, you don't want to villainize any particular country.
Yep $ opportunity.

Its meant to be nondescript. As was the original Top Gun. Neither mentioned the nation of conflict by name. They battled Migs in the original and Sukhois in this version so its implied to be a Russian ally but neither movie actually stated that.

Literally the only country/really countries it COULD be is Iran supported by Russia. Because only Iran has F-14s still around and only Russia has SU-57s.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Literally the only country/really countries it COULD be is Iran supported by Russia. Because only Iran has F-14s still around and only Russia has SU-57s.

It's a movie. There are roughly ten "operational" Su-57s. For the guy slamming a plane of which almost a thousand are in service, you'd be better off piping down.

Reactions: lucas80
It's a movie. There are roughly ten "operational" Su-57s. For the guy slamming a plane of which almost a thousand are in service, you'd be better off piping down.

There’s not a thousand F-35s in current service because they can only keep about 60% of them in quasi-operational status using the various services loosest standards. Meanwhile the GAO found the real operational rate was 39% ie if you have a 100 of them then 61 are currently useless. Therefire more than a half of our alleged F-35 fleet are in various stages of broken down/useless and in need of refurbishment. Before the F-35 boondoggle, the worst case scenario was supposed to be 80% operational rates.

• Haha
Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
India is dying to get the f35. It's a top notch airforce that regularly flies in red flag and cope India exercises with nato and us equipment. Like all planes, the f35 has had teething problems. Like all problems, they are being fixed. What we have here is a bunch of arm chair masturbators who, in real life, fly nothing. I ask the pilots themselves and am in the process of completing my own recreational pilot license. It's not like the f22 hasn't had problems.

As a child of the 1980’s, I enjoyed the movie.

As a cynic of the 21st century, I couldn’t help thinking that the Israelis would have completed the mission about 2 months before the U.S. Navy even started training for it. 😂

As a child of the 1980’s, I enjoyed the movie.

As a cynic of the 21st century, I couldn’t help thinking that the Israelis would have completed the mission about 2 months before the U.S. Navy even started training for it. 😂

No doubt about the latter statement.

There’s not a thousand F-35s in current service because they can only keep about 60% of them in quasi-operational status using the various services loosest standards. Meanwhile the GAO found the real operational rate was 39% ie if you have a 100 of them then 61 are currently useless. Therefire more than a half of our alleged F-35 fleet are in various stages of broken down/useless and in need of refurbishment. Before the F-35 boondoggle, the worst case scenario was supposed to be 80% operational rates.

CBO looked at some of the most numerous types of fighters to illustrate the difference in the availability rates for the Air Force and DoN. Fighters’ availability has declined for both services since about 2006.

57433-fig6_specific-fighter-availability.png

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
If you like the original Top Gun, you'll really like it. If it's a "meh" movie for you (like me), then you'll just be mildly entertained.

It was a good movie, but not great, imo. Anyone else find the premise that the only way to hit the target was to fly a plane there, when we have sophisticated missile systems that should be able to do the job?

Its awesome. Saw it in IMAX.

Good story, funny, sad and several cliffhangers.

Just enough nostalgia to keep us old folks happy.

The aerial scenes were incredible. Makes you really feel what its like in the cockpit.

First movie I've seen at the theater in probably 5 years. Would recommend.

Jennifer Connelly is a complete hottie, for 51 or 31.
My only issue was the sam threat part.
Not to be a spoiler but they could 95% been taken out before the mission.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT