ADVERTISEMENT

UC-Irvine @ Iowa Baseball

It is 74 degrees at first pitch. What great weather this weekend! So glad rain did not make an appearance.

In the pregame of today's game, they said Iowa's RPI is currently 49.

GO HAWKS!!! Beat the Eaters!

P.S. Anyone see MADDIE???!!!

#Maddie

OMG, an errant Sosa throw from 3rd base just nailed the 1st base ump squarely in the face! He goes down immediately and leaves the game to seek medical attention.

The game will now be umped by just 3 umps (behind home plate; 2 in the field) instead of 4!

Just not Iowa’s day again on a Sunday. RPI probably falls to 57 which leaves Iowa no margin of error. My biggest pet peeve with the RPI is how you are expected to win every home game and how punished you are in the system if you don’t.

Sosa’s errant throw in T1 - on what should have been a DP - was an ominous sign. FWIW, Fullard’s height Isn’t exactly an asset at 1B.

UCI was chirping right from the start of the game. They wanted the game badly.

I wasn’t particularly impressed by the starting pitcher but results matter and Iowa’s run in B1 was the first he’d given up in several games. He was lucky to get out of the first inning only giving up one run. Martin’s first AB - runners on first and second and no outs - resulted in a laser shot but right at the CF.

Oh well ... move on. Can’t look past WIU. That’s a “can’t lose game.”

I posted this in the lounge, but seeing some of the butt clenching taking place on the baseball board, I'm copying it here too...

It's understandable that college baseball, more specifically Iowa baseball, has generated interest from more and more Hawkeye fans since Coach Heller's success. Many, this board included, have legit questions as to how the post season process works.

As someone who has been plugged into the sport at various levels, and LONG before it became truly popular on a national scale, hopefully this helps clear some things up....

A 10 member selection committee primarily comprised from athletic directors from across the country makes the decision on post season bids.

I've had the chance to talk with some of the members including the likes of Whit Babcock (Virginia Tech), Ray Tanner (South Carolina) and Joe Karlgaard (Rice) just to name a few.

As an aggregate, there is no question the SEC and ACC are considered the superior conferences. Last year was a great example: 10 teams from the SEC were awarded regional bids. One that wasn't: Kentucky. With an RPI of 31 and an SOS of 21. Overall record was decent--34-22. But did not make the post season.

Advice to all Iowa fans getting their "cheeks" tight over the RPI: Do yourself a favor and lighten up.

Their RPI came in at the end of the weekend in the high 50s. Yet what happened? They are now ranked in The Top 25.

I have been told by more than one person who has served on the selection committee in the past, there is more than just computer analytics that go into the decision making process. When it comes time to debate if a bid should go to the 4th or 5th place team in the Big Ten or PAC 12 or the 8th place team in the SEC, those at the table look at overall results. Who did you beat? When did you beat them? Were they at full strength? Were you? There are legitimate discussions that take place.

Right now, Iowa is sitting in a very good spot. But with a somewhat depleted roster it isn't likely they are going to go undefeated the rest of the season. While they don't have anymore marquis chances left on the regular season schedule, 5-6 wins in their last 7 games should set them up nicely. If they win at least a couple in the Big Ten Tournament...especially if they meet up with a Top 35 (Illinois, Indiana or Michigan) ...don't get overconfident, but don't doubt on Iowa getting a regional bid.

ADVERTISEMENT