ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Ulis, Ogundele to Transfer

No, you're using the fallacy of the coin flip. On the old quarters, that were still silver with a copper center, the actual odds were 73% likely that the coin will come up tails, they were imperfectly weighted. But on every single flip there was a 50% chance it could be a head or a tail.

A lot of NCAA success is luck and a once in the lifetime kind of effort. Iowa would normally kill a team like FAU. We beat better teams from tougher conferences this year and every year. The NCAAs are great because they've figured out a way to showcase the unpredictability of any given basketball game. Houston kills NC State 99 out of 100 games, but in that 100th game that shit team of Valvano's, that shouldn't have been near a FF became the champions. Perfect example of a relatively untalented team that got hot at exactly the perfect time.

Unlimited free agency and no salary cap will soon destroy even that aspect of the tournament.
You keep repeating that last sentence. You have absolutely zero evidence that this will happen. North Carolina, Ohio State, Michigan, traditional blue bloods, did not make the tournament. Duke had their ass kicked in the 2nd round. Kentucky was taken down by K State, a team that when their coach arrived had 2 scholarship players. Of course the Blue bloods will always get the top recruits, but they've been doing that for 50 years. The landscape is changing. Drake put together a team in DeVries's first year w/2 players. 5 years later his 5th and 6th year guys gave Miami of Florida their toughest game to date. W/players being able to come and go teams like FAU, Drake, mid majors of all kinds can compete quickly against the so called blue bloods, especially when the blue bloods like Kentucky continue to try and win with the majority of players being 1 and done.

Portal should give the second tier schools more of a chance to pick up kids who were top recruits out of HS, but never got a chance to shine at the blue blood school that recruited them.

Reactions: jonesy5960
You keep repeating that last sentence. You have absolutely zero evidence that this will happen. North Carolina, Ohio State, Michigan, traditional blue bloods, did not make the tournament. Duke had their ass kicked in the 2nd round. Kentucky was taken down by K State, a team that when their coach arrived had 2 scholarship players. Of course the Blue bloods will always get the top recruits, but they've been doing that for 50 years. The landscape is changing. Drake put together a team in DeVries's first year w/2 players. 5 years later his 5th and 6th year guys gave Miami of Florida their toughest game to date. W/players being able to come and go teams like FAU, Drake, mid majors of all kinds can compete quickly against the so called blue bloods, especially when the blue bloods like Kentucky continue to try and win with the majority of players being 1 and done.
Yeah, BBall can always provide that one shining moment. BBs don't win every big game, but they win most of them, although this year is different, but atypically so, of course.

How would those mid majors do if they played Duke, Michigan or Iowa's schedule? They might play 2 or 3 games a year against P5 teams but the P5 teams, like Iowa, play almost exclusively P5 schedules. Even Iowa's non con schedule had what 2 Big Eight teams and 2 ACC teams? (Seriously can't remember). So over the course of a full schedule the mid majors that come out of nowhere to win in the emotion packed NCAA and conference tournaments would rarely smell the NCAA because they might upset Michigan but they're not then going to upset Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Bucky, Ohio State and probably not be very competitive with the usual bottom feeders like the University of Nowledge, Wiley, Penn St. and Rutgers.

Although football is much more interesting basketball's unpredictability makes basketball so much more exciting.​

Last edited:
Yeah, BBall can always provide that one shining moment. BBs don't win every big game, but they win most of them, although this year is different, but atypically so, of course.

But how would those mid majors do if they played Duke, Michigan or Iowa's schedule? They might play 2 or 3 games a year against P5 teams but the P5 teams, like Iowa, play almost exclusively P5 schedules. Even Iowa's non con schedule had what 2 Big Eight teams and 2 ACC teams? (Seriously can't remember). So over the course of a full schedule the mid majors that come out of nowhere to win in the emotion packed NCAA and conference tournaments would rarely smell the NCAA because they might upset Michigan but they're not then going to upset Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Bucky, Ohio State and probably not be very competitive with the usual bottom feeders like the University of Nowledge, Wiley, Penn St. and Rutgers.

Although football is much more interesting basketball's unpredictability makes basketball so much more exciting.​
Glad they are expanding the FB playoffs, because seeing mostly the same half dozen teams compete isn't exciting unless you are a fan of one of those schools.

Concur.

This is a critical juncture for Fran's tenure at Iowa.

Last year he claims no NIL $ availability to compete for portal transfers hurt us.

This year there is really no excuse.

$$ is available - at least enough to attract solid to above solid players who can help or start - and there is immediate playing time available. He needs to do better than Brauns, who at best will be a role player coming off the bench. A BJ Mack-type post and hopefully a PG (or Swing Guard) that can give offensive punch are on the wish list.

At the end of the day, if he can't attract some good players and keep Iowa from falling into the bottom four of the conference, then he must be held accountable. If other schools can find/attract those players then no reason Iowa can't.

Personally, there are two ways this can go for Fran that most fans would be fine with, he either maintains the Hawkeyes at their current status (top 6 in the conference, 19-21 wins a year, consistant NCAA participant) or he finally finds the 'flux capacitor' like Wisconsin did 20 years ago and gets us to the next level.

It starts now.
You are way more optimistic about Frans ability after 13 years of the same style of all O with pedestrian D and RB, which leads to predictable results. Wish I could see that light at end of the tunnel that some on here do. I’m old, so maybe my eyesight just isn’t that keen anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Woody and gessel were good athletic defenders at there positions. Utoff was one of the better rim protectors in Frans years. Clemmons was a strong guard with decent quicks.

Not saying it is all on the players but this season we had too many guys that opponents would isolate then fly by them with ease.
In my experience most of the time this season when people complain about defenders being blown by in isolation its actually not isolation at all and usually involves poor communication or execution on a screen.

Ascribing better defense to the Woodbury teams because of better athletes is pattently ridiculous on its face. That team was better because they played defense the correct way with intentionality. They didn't lack in effort and had good communication, they didn't jog back on defense like all other Fran teams do. The weren't constantly confused on how to defend a screen, it was done the same way every time so everyone was on the same page.

Those players had the fundamentals when they showed up and their effort didn't go up and down based on shots going in. They were an outlier group of players that didn't need nearly as much coaching as a normal group of college players.

Last edited:
In my experience most of the time this season when people complain about defenders being blown by in isolation its actually not isolation at all and usually involves poor communication or execution on a screen.

Ascribing better defense to the Woodbury teams because of better athletes is pattently ridiculous on its face. That team was better because they played defense the correct way with intentionality. They didn't lack in effort and had good communication, they didn't jog back on defense like all other Fran teams do. The weren't constantly confused on how to defend a screen, it was done the same way every time so everyone was on the same page.

Those players had the fundamentals when they showed up and their effort didn't go up and down based on shots going in. They were an outlier group of players that didn't need nearlybas much coaching as a normal group of college players.
Agreed, they were fundamentally sound on D and Woody was very good at communicating from the post.

Then why bother to join a group that is dedicated to Iowa athletics, like this website. And, once joined, why bother to comment? If the ship has sailed you are no longer an Iowa fan, just someone with a passing interest in maybe the scores or a perhaps a band wagon jumper. I mean, who wastes time on shit about which they do not care?
Just as I expected. The ol’ ‘you’re not a real fan’ comeback. As I told my wife once, I’ve loved Iowa sports a lot longer than her. Some friendly advice, don’t use that line. Anyway, just because I want Iowa to play better defense disqualifies me as a fan? Just because I think Fran has taken the program as far as I think he can disqualifies me? Just because I choose to spend time with my family instead of watching every second of an Iowa disqualifies me? My goodness you are shallow.

Just as I expected. The ol’ ‘you’re not a real fan’ comeback. As I told my wife once, I’ve loved Iowa sports a lot longer than her. Some friendly advice, don’t use that line. Anyway, just because I want Iowa to play better defense disqualifies me as a fan? Just because I think Fran has taken the program as far as I think he can disqualifies me? Just because I choose to spend time with my family instead of watching every second of an Iowa disqualifies me? My goodness you are shallow.
No, you are completely missing the point, or perhaps just do not understand. The question is what you do not understand, my meaning or your own words?

You didn't say you were a fan hoping for a better season. Your exact quote is:

I’m a realist, though, that he’s going to be the coach for the foreseeable future. Iowa basketball, and football to a certain extent, is not must-watch for me anymore, the frustration of inconsistent play and no defense just takes away the enjoyment.

Now, unless you are giving those words a meaning other than regular usage, you are saying: (1) you are no longer sufficiently interested in the basketball and football programs to watch the games; (2) you no longer enjoy watching whatever less than complete games/seasons you watch; and (3) blame the coaches for your lack of enjoyment and subsequent disinterest.

Those words describe someone that might have a passing interest in the football and MBB programs, not a fan. They are the words you used to describe yourself. Alternatively, the definition of fan says something very differently.

noun (2)
1: an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fan
2: an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit)

You are specifically saying that you are not enthusiastic or devoted. You say you do not enjoy the games, so we cannot really describe you as enthusiastic, unless you have some psychosexual masochistic personality traits and derive pleasure from discomfort and frustration.

And don't repeat what you said above: all you said really amounts to an admission that you might someday be again a fan, when Iowa has different coaches, different players, different styles of play and better results that are more suited to your personal preferences. That describes someone that jumps on a band wagon, not a fan. Saw a lot of those guys between 2013 and 2015.

Now, a person of normal psychological health would not so frequently, almost obsessively go somewhere and constantly complain about the thing to which they are no longer devoted or enthusiastic, would they?. Your explanation doesn't disclose the motivation for the constant, obsessive negativity if you care so little you don't even watch.

It's the Raiders for me. Loved the Raiders as a kid and through the 80s. But, what was fun in the early days turned into the clown show, jumping cities, ridiculous players, etc... So I am a Raider fan like you're a Hawk fan. I'd like to see them do better with less douchey coaches and players. I can identify some of their problems, etc... But I don't give a **** so I'm not on Raider boards several times a week describing in tedious detail all the things I don't like about the Raiders.

Reactions: perryhawk
Wow, you might want to seek help. You’ve twisted something to fit your narrative. Keep being the fan police, although you’re not very good at that.
Your own words in the exact context in which you used them. If you find your own words describing yourself to be so troubling you cannot explain them perhaps a good rethink on the idea from which those words sprang might be in order. If you want to get personal with me, don't start on stupid and then try to walk it back with world salad.

But you complain some more about your disinterest, lack of enjoyment and frustration. It's really helpful. Indeed, I'll bet right now the AD and President are considering your deeply thought through commentary. Expect a call from U administration soon.

Reactions: perryhawk
ron-burgundy-escalated-quickly.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Max_Rebo

Whats Drake look like without extra covid eligibility? That shit will run out soon.

Whats Drake look like without extra covid eligibility? That shit will run out soon.
What even are you talking about? Every team in the country had extra covid eligibility? Or do you not understand that? Yes, they were one of the older teams in the country. Kudos to the coach for keeping them all together and not having them transfer out, correct? DeVries built a team w/2 returning players. 2. At Drake, historically one of the toughest places to win anywhere. Not sure where you're even going here.

• Haha
What even are you talking about? Every team in the country had extra covid eligibility? Or do you not understand that? Yes, they were one of the older teams in the country. Kudos to the coach for keeping them all together and not having them transfer out, correct? DeVries built a team w/2 returning players. 2. At Drake, historically one of the toughest places to win anywhere. Not sure where you're even going here.

You made sweeping statements about how Drake was here to stay because of the transfer portal when in reality they were so good because of soon to be over rule allowing extra eligibility.

You made sweeping statements about how Drake was here to stay because of the transfer portal when in reality they were so good because of soon to be over rule allowing extra eligibility.
Since you’re struggling let me explain it again. He took over a team with 2 players. I never said they were “here to stay.” He’s won 125 games over the last 5 years. Yes, they were older, but everyone got the extra Covid years, not just Drake. He’s managed to use the portal while also keeping his team together which is key for any program, including Iowa.

• Haha
Since you’re struggling let me explain it again. He took over a team with 2 players. I never said they were “here to stay.” He’s won 125 games over the last 5 years. Yes, they were older, but everyone got the extra Covid years, not just Drake. He’s managed to use the portal while also keeping his team together which is key for any program, including Iowa.

Every team was eligibile to use the rule but some teams benefited from it more. Not saying its bad, but getting guys an extra year is going away. If Drake didnt have those guys stick around, they wouldnt even be discussed in your rant about the landscape changing. Plus, there has always been good mid majors. Hell, Drake was a 5 seed in 2007.

Every team was eligibile to use the rule but some teams benefited from it more. Not saying its bad, but getting guys an extra year is going away. If Drake didnt have those guys stick around, they wouldnt even be discussed in your rant about the landscape changing. Plus, there has always been good mid majors. Hell, Drake was a 5 seed in 2007.
So you’re saying the landscape is not changing? That teams from all shapes and sizes can’t now go out and get 4-5 new players and compete immediately? Or even 1-2 key players? The no sitting out a year has transformed bball. But it sounds like you disagree so I’ll leave it at that.

So you’re saying the landscape is not changing? That teams from all shapes and sizes can’t now go out and get 4-5 new players and compete immediately? Or even 1-2 key players? The no sitting out a year has transformed bball. But it sounds like you disagree so I’ll leave it at that.

Roster building is clearly different, but im not convinced we will see major programs dip and random mid majors rise up any more than it happened in the past 20-30 years.

Roster building is clearly different, but im not convinced we will see major programs dip and random mid majors rise up any more than it happened in the past 20-30 years.
The random rise is very short term---one shining moment so to speak. The mid majors will quickly kill off football and still be generally not competitive in basketball. The NIL roster loading creates an inevitable and easily predictable result.

Now a mid major might rise if they find a billionaire sugar daddy. Like some hedge fund manager or a more loathsome tech executive or inventor might buy their alma mater a football or basketball team, like Oregon. But that is the only path for anyone new rising.

• Haha
Reactions: amahawk and littlez
The random rise is very short term---one shining moment so to speak. The mid majors will quickly kill off football and still be generally not competitive in basketball. The NIL roster loading creates an inevitable and easily predictable result.

Now a mid major might rise if they find a billionaire sugar daddy. Like some hedge fund manager or a more loathsome tech executive or inventor might buy their alma mater a football or basketball team, like Oregon. But that is the only path for anyone new rising.
So explain this year?

• Haha
We all are now aware of Ulis to NE - which incidentally I find comforting as it tells me NE doesn’t have many answers at the PG.

I haven’t seen the Josh O to Middle Tennessee State reported here yet.

Best of luck to both…

https://qctimes.com/sports/college/...cle_5e0ebac4-ecf6-5917-9e29-bfd09df595cb.html
Thanks for the link.

What the hell is this sentence supposed to mean:

He is the first player in coach Fran McCaffery's 13 seasons to leave the Iowa program.

...to go to Nebraska? to go to another Big10 school ( Although I think this already happened).

Thanks for the link.

He is the first player in coach Fran McCaffery's 13 seasons to leave the Iowa program.

...to go to Nebraska? to go to another Big10 school ( Although I think this already happened).
Yes, I caught too. I have no idea what he’s trying to say. Maybe he didn’t complete his thought and meant what you said - to another B1G school.

I can’t think of any off the top of my head though. Brust didn’t formally enroll at IA so you could argue he didn’t transfer to another B1G.

There may have been others. I just don’t remember any.

Reactions: Moral
The Ulis move reminded me of Bakari Evelyn. Turns out he had a solid season in France last year.

Thanks for the link.

What's stranger about that line is that the author is a long time sportswriter for the QC and familiar with the Iowa program. WTF?

Reactions: skydog0784
Thanks for the link.

To transfer to a Big Ten school

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT