ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Caitlin will not be selected for Olympic Women's Basketball Team

Everyone knows CC would and could do very well in the Olympics. That was quite the line she put up in the box score yesterday against a team the Fever usually struggle against. CC played great in crunch time from what I saw in replays.

Has the US Olympic team changed the roster since it was first announced????? I heard one or two players are injured or have been and they have not played much. Just wondering if they have been replaced or are going to be replaced.

CC wouldnt even be a starter in the Olympics so not as much pressure on her.
She should be a starter though.

Reactions: Bro D
So the All-Stars vs the Olympic Team game is really starting to intrigue me.

Has this been a regular thing every four years? If it has been contested before have the All-Stars ever won? (Google ain't helping me here)

More interestingly, can the All-Stars win this year??? Lil' ole Indiana has beat or hung with 9 Olympians spread across 3 teams in their last 3 games.

Of course the actual Olympic Team will have more talent but so will the All-Stars.

Man what a riot it would be if Caitlin and Co. won, lol.

I blame DT and the old guard more than USA basketball. I'm almost positive USA Basketball took input from them and all of them basically black balled her off the team. Basically, all that talk about growing the game and getting paid more was complete bullshit if they weren't the ones doing it. But, USA Basketball just wants a team that will win and if putting Clark on the team is going to make everyone else suck then you keep her off the team. It speaks a lot to the maturity and professionalism of those players that they would let that happen but here we are.
Yep. Now Clark only gets TWO Olympics in her PRIME. Age 26 and 30. My perception of DT and her selfishness did a 180. It’s about her. Again, she’s not better than Caitlin today.

So the All-Stars vs the Olympic Team game is really starting to intrigue me.

Has this been a regular thing every four years? If it has been contested before have the All-Stars ever won? (Google ain't helping me here)

More interestingly, can the All-Stars win this year??? Lil' ole Indiana has beat or hung with 9 Olympians spread across 3 teams in their last 3 games.

Of course the actual Olympic Team will have more talent but so will the All-Stars.

Man what a riot it would be if Caitlin and Co. won, lol.
The last Olympics, the all star team beat the Olympic team.

I've moved on from her being left off the team. Looking back, it’s pretty clear that she was not going to be on the team. It was probably no more than lip service given to her being considered for the team. She's proven her worth and place in this league in a mere 20 games, and her play would have have earned a spot on the team. It would not have been just some marketing move. But, it wasn't happening this time around. While keeping her off the team seemed like the wrong move for women's basketball in general, and as hard as it may be because we are fans of Caitlin first, maybe we follow her lead and be gracious and not speak ill of the process or the team. (Plus, I think it will only enhance her status, not just with the league, but with fans overall). Instead, let her get some rest and recovery so she can finish the season strong and get the Fever into the playoffs. From where they started this season, that would be quite an accomplishment.
I agree with this, with the qualifier I’m not watching a second of team USA in the Olympics this go around.

Reactions: MplsHawk
Yep. Now Clark only gets TWO Olympics in her PRIME. Age 26 and 30. My perception of DT and her selfishness did a 180. It’s about her. Again, she’s not better than Caitlin today.

There should have been a changing of the OLD guard:

Diana turned 42 on June 11.

Caitlin turned 22 on Jan 22.

Here are their current stats. Look at the assist difference.

.............................Pts...Rebs...Asts...Stl...Blk...FG%..3Pt%..FT%
Caitlin Clark......16.1...6.0......7.4...1.4...0.8...39.3....33.1...88.8
Diana Taurasi....16.6...4.7.....2.6..0.7...0.2....39.7...35.4...87.5

Reactions: BirdistheWord
They should ask DT how many people watched he win her three national championships vs. Caitlin losing her two.

College WBB viewership numbers go back to the 1980's when the championship games started being televised.

Iowa is now part of 4 of the 6 most watched college WBB games in history. As you can see, the other 2 games making this list are from the 1980's.

#6: 2023 final, LSU def. IOWA (ABC and ESPN2): 9.92 million​

#5: 1986 final, Texas def. USC (CBS): 11.22 million​

In the final college game played by Cheryl Miller, USC fell short to Texas in a national title game viewed by 11.22 million viewers — a 62 percent increase over the prior year.

#4: 1983 final, USC def. Louisiana Tech (CBS): 11.84 million​

Cheryl Miller’s first national championship attracted an audience of 11.84 million viewers, up 35% from the inaugural title game a year earlier

#3: 2024 Elite 8, IOWA def. LSU (ESPN): 12.3 million​

#2: 2024 Final Four, IOWA def. UConn (ESPN): 14.2 million​

#1: 2024 National Championship, South Carolina def. IOWA (ABC): 18.7 million​

College WBB viewership numbers go back to the 1980's when the championship games started being televised.

Iowa is now part of 4 of the 6 most watched college WBB games in history. As you can see, the other 2 games making this list are from the 1980's.

#6: 2023 final, LSU def. IOWA (ABC and ESPN2): 9.92 million​

#5: 1986 final, Texas def. USC (CBS): 11.22 million​

In the final college game played by Cheryl Miller, USC fell short to Texas in a national title game viewed by 11.22 million viewers — a 62 percent increase over the prior year.

#4: 1983 final, USC def. Louisiana Tech (CBS): 11.84 million​

Cheryl Miller’s first national championship attracted an audience of 11.84 million viewers, up 35% from the inaugural title game a year earlier

#3: 2024 Elite 8, IOWA def. LSU (ESPN): 12.3 million​

#2: 2024 Final Four, IOWA def. UConn (ESPN): 14.2 million​

#1: 2024 National Championship, South Carolina def. IOWA (ABC): 18.7 million​

About 15m total for the three title games that UCONN played.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I've moved on from her being left off the team. Looking back, it’s pretty clear that she was not going to be on the team. It was probably no more than lip service given to her being considered for the team. She's proven her worth and place in this league in a mere 20 games, and her play would have have earned a spot on the team. It would not have been just some marketing move. But, it wasn't happening this time around. While keeping her off the team seemed like the wrong move for women's basketball in general, and as hard as it may be because we are fans of Caitlin first, maybe we follow her lead and be gracious and not speak ill of the process or the team. (Plus, I think it will only enhance her status, not just with the league, but with fans overall). Instead, let her get some rest and recovery so she can finish the season strong and get the Fever into the playoffs. From where they started this season, that would be quite an accomplishment.

You are right. It irks me that other greats have had the opportunity to play in the Olympics their rookie seasons, but the way it was set up this time not Caitlin. The other thing is that there is no guarantee that she'll make the next Olympic team either. There will always be arguments that the players on the 2020 team deserve to be on the 2024 team. That was the argument for Taurasi this year. There will also be the latest great new players coming along, like JuJu. I don't underestimate the pettiness of some of people on the panel that choose the team either.

Clippers forward Kawhi Leonard has been dealing with right knee inflammation. Team USA executive director Grant Hill said the decision to send Leonard home from training camp and replace him with Boston Celtics guard Derrick White on the roster for the upcoming Paris Olympic Games ultimately rested with Team USA.

If the Lynx's Napheesa Collier can't go because of her current plantar fasciitis condition....

https://www.espn.com/olympics/baske...l-kawhi-leonard-derrick-white-grant-hill-says

Clippers forward Kawhi Leonard has been dealing with right knee inflammation. Team USA executive director Grant Hill said the decision to send Leonard home from training camp and replace him with Boston Celtics guard Derrick White on the roster for the upcoming Paris Olympic Games ultimately rested with Team USA.

If the Lynx's Napheesa Collier can't go because of her current plantar fasciitis condition....

https://www.espn.com/olympics/baske...l-kawhi-leonard-derrick-white-grant-hill-says
I think she is a forward though. Would they replace her with a guard?

I think she is a forward though. Would they replace her with a guard?

Not sure what would happen. What I do know is this:

* Caitlin is one of 2 alternates but not sure if she is 1st or 2nd.

* Collier is listed at 6'1, 179. Caitlin is listed at 6'0, 152.

* If Collier can't play, the Selection Committee has a decision to make.

Caitlin is no consolation prize. No Miss America runner-up (in the event the winner cannot fulfill her duties) baloney. I hope she politely defers to the veteran alternate. The WNBA, USA basketball, whoever, can live with their decision.

Caitlin is no consolation prize. No Miss America runner-up (in the event the winner cannot fulfill her duties) baloney. I hope she politely defers to the veteran alternate. The WNBA, USA basketball, whoever, can live with their decision.
I don't think one turns down an invite to play for the country, especially as a rookie, and especially with so many sponsors to please. She could use the rest, but realistically she would be the last one off the bench. Plus, practicing on the team would be steel sharpening steel.

I don't think one turns down an invite to play for the country, especially as a rookie, and especially with so many sponsors to please. She could use the rest, but realistically she would be the last one off the bench. Plus, practicing on the team would be steel sharpening steel.
You're right, but the thought of the power brokers being stuck with their short-sighted decision is viciously satisfying.

Diana has been missing in action the last 9 days.

July 3 at Dallas: she played 30 minutes

July 7 at LA: Did not play

July 10 vs Dallas: Did not play-LEFT LEG INJURY

July 12 at Indiana: Won't play

This article discusses the possibility of Caitlin being added to the Olympic team. I don't see Diana bowing out, though.

This. At this point I'd rather she took the time to rest, and come out and smoke their asses after the Olympics. Still I highly doubt she would turn down an invite.......

3 of the 12 Olympians are currently hobbled with injuries.

(1) Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner was ruled out of last night's 95-86 loss at Indiana after suffering what the team announced as a right hip injury in the second quarter. "What I've been told is a strained groin, so we will see," Phoenix coach Nate Tibbetts said after the game. "The medical staff decided to hold her out."

(2) Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi has not played since July 3rd at Dallas (she played 30 minutes). She has "a lower leg injury."

(3) Minnesota Lynx forward Napheesa Collier has not played since July 4th vs Connecticut (she played 25 minutes). She is dealing with plantar fasciitis in her left foot.

Top 5 player here but not good enough for the Olympic team.

Fantasy Women's Basketball: Updated Top 75 Rankings

Below are ESPN's rankings of the top 75 players for fantasy women's basketball in 2024.

These rankings are based on ESPN's default women's basketball settings which award one point for each point, assist and rebound, a bonus point for making a 3-pointer, and two points each for blocks and steals.

Updated: July 9

The Top 5 Overall Players:

Rank, Player, Team, Positional Rank (Last week's rank)

1. A'ja Wilson, LV, F1 (LW: 1)
2. Breanna Stewart, NY, F2 (LW: 2)
3. Arike Ogunbowale, Dal, G1 (LW: 3)
4. Sabrina Ionescu, NY, G2 (LW: 4)
5. Caitlin Clark, Ind, G3 (LW: 9)

The Full List:

i

Reactions: BirdistheWord

According to this post, Clark and B Jones (edit) are the top 2 but apparently the list is longer. Probably also includes the future rookie POY. 😃

Diana has been missing in action the last 9 days.

July 3 at Dallas: she played 30 minutes

July 7 at LA: Did not play

July 10 vs Dallas: Did not play-LEFT LEG INJURY

July 12 at Indiana: Won't play

This article discusses the possibility of Caitlin being added to the Olympic team. I don't see Diana bowing out, though.

Ain't no way DT is missing chance for her 6th Olympic gold. This is all about her (DT) and her feat which would be hard for anyone to duplicate as well as the black-balling of Clark to keep from being upstaged by the Rook.

Top 5 player here but not good enough for the Olympic team.

Fantasy Women's Basketball: Updated Top 75 Rankings

Below are ESPN's rankings of the top 75 players for fantasy women's basketball in 2024.

These rankings are based on ESPN's default women's basketball settings which award one point for each point, assist and rebound, a bonus point for making a 3-pointer, and two points each for blocks and steals.

Updated: July 9

The Top 5 Overall Players:

Rank, Player, Team, Positional Rank (Last week's rank)

1. A'ja Wilson, LV, F1 (LW: 1)
2. Breanna Stewart, NY, F2 (LW: 2)
3. Arike Ogunbowale, Dal, G1 (LW: 3)
4. Sabrina Ionescu, NY, G2 (LW: 4)
5. Caitlin Clark, Ind, G3 (LW: 9)

The Full List:

i
Isn’t she doing all the things you’re mentioning AFTER they decided the Olympic team? Maybe if they were deciding Olympic team at the All Star Break she would have made the team. Also just because she didn’t make the team doesn’t make her not Olympic worthy. US has probably 20 plus players that are worthy but they’re limited to 12. Her best argument when the team was announced was against Taurasi but it’s hard to leave off a 5 time Olympic gold medalist who’s still playing at a high level.

Ain't no way DT is missing chance for her 6th Olympic gold. This is all about her (DT) and her feat which would be hard for anyone to duplicate as well as the black-balling of Clark to keep from being upstaged by the Rook.

i agree with you.

on the other hand....click on "sports.yahoo.com" in the tweet to take you to the story

Reactions: hahkize
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT