ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Caitlin will not be selected for Olympic Women's Basketball Team

This decision is not surprising. Women as a whole are notorious for making decisions for jealous and petty reasons (especially when it involves other women) even when those decisions might hurt even their own self interests. It’s rather comical to watch at times.
It may be why we may never vote to elect a women president

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
There's still a chance for her to be added to the team as a replacement due to illness/injury? If so, would she even see the floor?
Yes. She wouldn't start but after team USA goes up by 40 in the 3rd quarter she would get playing time. Which, would keep people watching well past the time they normally would have switched to something else.

There is a great chance this decision backfires. The Fever’s upcoming schedule all games have min 2-3 days of rest and most are against bottom half of the league.

Have to think this internally motivates CC and she continues off last nights momentum and her numbers look even better by mid July.

First up, she plays Taurasi and th Sun on Monday. Be great if she shows DT up.

There is a great chance this decision backfires. The Fever’s upcoming schedule all games have min 2-3 days of rest and most are against bottom half of the league.

Have to think this internally motivates CC and she continues off last nights momentum and her numbers look even better by mid July.

Taurasi plays for Phoenix

Reactions: amahawk
Per a article in "on 3", writer Riley Gates, it's not final.....

"While the roster has not been finalized officially, Charania reports that veteran selections of A’ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner, Alyssa Thomas, Napheesa Collier, Jewell Loyd, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, Sabrina Ionescu, Chelsea Gray and Kahleah Copper are expected to be on the roster for Team USA".

We'll see, maybe there's hope that the USA women's bbk team selection can save what could be a career ending decision, aka weak rationalization, to not include Clark.

USA Today's power ranking has Reese at #1, Clark at #2, Brink at #3, and Kate at #4.
Some people are way too in love with double doubles….i have news for those people…30 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists is way better than 13 points and 13 rebounds or 16 points and 11 rebounds. Especially when it’s a PG getting 8 rebounds.

I never watched Olympics before...still won't
I haven’t either because it hasn’t been competitive—same for the men’s side. Mainly I prefer to watch so-called Olympic Sports that don’t have popular leagues in between. No interest in baseball for example, either.

I would likely have watched Caitlin if she were in this year’s Olympics—BUT—I would prefer she made it on merit rather than by popularity.

Some people are way too in love with double doubles….i have news for those people…30 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists is way better than 13 points and 13 rebounds or 16 points and 11 rebounds. Especially when it’s a PG getting 8 rebounds.
On the assist #'s, watch how many shots, including bunnies, that the Fever players have missed or mishandled on CC's passes. She could/should have 11 double doubles....... IMHO.

"While the roster has not been finalized officially, Charania reports that veteran selections of A’ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner, Alyssa Thomas, Napheesa Collier, Jewell Loyd, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, Sabrina Ionescu, Chelsea Gray and Kahleah Copper are expected to be on the roster for Team USA".

We'll see, maybe there's hope that the USA women's bbk team selection can save what could be a career ending decision, aka weak rationalization, to not include Clark.
Oh there will be a reckoning.

Surprisingly, I'm not too upset at this decision. The fact that this gives her a month to rest after playing non-stop for months and months may be a blessing in disguise. I don't think the Fever have an ice cube's chance in hell to get to the playoffs, but this is good for CC's mind and body.

Now, I think it's an insanely stupid reason to keep her off the team due to her fans. It's petty and downright pathetic, actually. If they wanted to grow the women's game on a global scale, this was their chance. Now no one will tune in.

But hey, won't someone please think of the veteran's feelings?

Bullshit. People saying this is good for her should stfu. No it isn't good for her and no one but her should decide if she needs a break.
Kachine Alexander did say she was relieved for Caitlin on Twitter—said she needs the rest out of concern she’ll get injured. I place a great deal of respect on her opinion.

Reactions: EagleHawk

That's the whole issue that's been lost right now. If they could have come up with any legitimate reason to not include her then this would not be an issue. The problem is they took Diana Taurasi who by just about every metric is having an inferior season to Clark, and two players who have been injured and are completely unknown as to if they will be able to play at all. So they eliminated any actual basketball reason to nix her. Instead, they found the weakest ass reason ever and tried to blame her snub on the fans! Seriously? You've been crying about how people don't pay attention to the league and then when decision time comes you blame the f****g fans for why you did something stupid?

Have the balls to just say, "The veterans on the team don't feel she has been hazed long enough to earn a spot". Of course, that obviously says a lot about the character of the players they did choose and I guess they thought blaming the fans was a better option. At least the second one is honest and team chemistry is an important factor. If they wanted to go with the veterans and they think that Clark would disrupt that, at least say it. If they lose, then you will lose your job. But people should lose their jobs anyway for the way this has been handled.

It already is backfiring, because of course it is. How incompetent are the people running this show?

Surprisingly, I'm not too upset at this decision. The fact that this gives her a month to rest after playing non-stop for months and months may be a blessing in disguise. I don't think the Fever have an ice cube's chance in hell to get to the playoffs, but this is good for CC's mind and body.

Now, I think it's an insanely stupid reason to keep her off the team due to her fans. It's petty and downright pathetic, actually. If they wanted to grow the women's game on a global scale, this was their chance. Now no one will tune in.

But hey, won't someone please think of the veteran's feelings?
I'm far more upset about their reasoning for not choosing her than her not actually playing. I had planned on watching the team if I could, but why would I want to watch a bunch of petty little jealous bitches playing high school mean girl games? It's pathetic.

Is it possible 3 on 3 suits Caitlin’s game more than 5 on 5? I don’t know much about style of play but feel like she’d be better than HVL. Anyone with more knowledge can feel free to enlighten.
Probably. I wasn't expounding on their skill levels because I figured that was pretty apparent at this point.............

I also wasn't going to try to quantify and argue about something that isn't going to happen.

I have done a pretty good job, all things considered, of reserving my commentary and not pissing off ALL the sides when it comes to Caitlin Clark, because nobody in 2024 likes being told they're wrong nor are they willing to shut the f*** up and let life happen anymore..............

Friends? :D

On the assist #'s, watch how many shots, including bunnies, that the Fever players have missed or mishandled on CC's passes. She could/should have 11 double doubles....... IMHO.
She should have had at least 10 assists last game. And the biggest thing she gets criticized for are the turnovers and last game two of her turnovers were dropped passes and two were offensive fouls, so really she had four, and that’s with defenses hounding her like no other player in the league.

She should have had at least 10 assists last game. And the biggest thing she gets criticized for are the turnovers and last game two of her turnovers were dropped passes and two were offensive fouls, so really she had four, and that’s with defenses hounding her like no other player in the league.

There is an article on ESPN where they state that one of the reasons Caitlin was left off the team was because of the high number of turnovers

I wish someone who is not biased took a look at the 12 games and assigned Caitlin the proper number of turnovers because right now the number is way overstated

With all of the blowback, it makes me wonder if they will reconsider this very bad decision.
Evidently they've already stated that the decision isn't set in stone yet, especially since it is likely that Chelsea Gray won't be able to play. If I'm the Aces management I would be putting a lot of pressure on her to not play. Not that these women get paid a lot, but I would be pissed if she were not able to play for the team that is paying her, she goes to the Olympics and reinjures her foot again and now I don't have her for the rest of the season either.

But then again, having Clark on the team is clearly going to cause team chemistry issues and I'm not sure how you overcome that, especially since not even the coach seems interested in doing anything about it. They've created a shit sandwich with no good outcome.

The idea of her physicality bro. The W is 10x more physical than the NCAA, and FIBA is 10x more physical than the W, so Caitlin can’t compete and doesn’t belong.
I heard that shit, and thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If international ball is really 10X more physical then the WNBA it would have to be a MMA death match. That was a total BS cop out lie. The international game is no way anymore physical then the W. Frankly I've lost all respect for Andrea Carter and her cohorts that cover the womens game for ESPN. Bold face cover ass lies on story after story from all of them.....

Last edited:
The stupidity of the people in charge of women's BB in this country is amazing! These same people have complained about the inequity of women's sports and mens for years. Then when they get their golden goose they F*** it up. What a bunch of idiots!
Make sure to watch the Portnoy clip above. He says the same thing and it is hilarious.

Reactions: spiderland
Bullshit. People saying this is good for her should stfu. No it isn't good for her and no one but her should decide if she needs a break.
Thanks for being the online gestapo and letting anyone who thinks the rest might be good for her to STFU. Clark will be fine, and she'll make her mark in many olympics as well as the league. The losers here will be the league and the sponsors. It would be great to have her on the team, but if they add her now, (which may very well happen if Grey can't play) what do you think her reception will be from the majority of the players. Does she really need that grief at this point?

There is an article on ESPN where they state that one of the reasons Caitlin was left off the team was because of the high number of turnovers

I wish someone who is not biased took a look at the 12 games and assigned Caitlin the proper number of turnovers because right now the number is way overstated
They’re coming up with any excuse they can to justify it. The biggest problem with this is they’re focusing on why Clark didn’t make when people should be focused on why in the hell Taurasi, Griner, and Gray did make it.

Evidently they've already stated that the decision isn't set in stone yet, especially since it is likely that Chelsea Gray won't be able to play. If I'm the Aces management I would be putting a lot of pressure on her to not play. Not that these women get paid a lot, but I would be pissed if she were not able to play for the team that is paying her, she goes to the Olympics and reinjures her foot again and now I don't have her for the rest of the season either.

But then again, having Clark on the team is clearly going to cause team chemistry issues and I'm not sure how you overcome that, especially since not even the coach seems interested in doing anything about it. They've created a shit sandwich with no good outcome.
Team chemistry doesn’t really matter, they will win gold if nobody was speaking to each other on the whole team. Hell, Clark’s 19U team that won gold four years ago could get back together and win gold. Coaching this team is the easiest job in the world.

Team chemistry doesn’t really matter, they will win gold if nobody was speaking to each other on the whole team. Hell, Clark’s 19U team that won gold four years ago could get back together and win gold. Coaching this team is the easiest job in the world.
I agree with you from a getting the Gold medal standpoint. Although the level of pettiness I've seen from some of these ladies tells me that I can't rule out a group of them sabotaging the team to the point they lose simply because they don't like her. I'm not saying I think they would do that, but I'm saying there isn't a 0 percent chance that would happen.

So, they are afraid of Clark's fanbase. That has to be the most cowardly load of bullshit I have ever heard. I understand how this group of idiots have been unable to grow the sport by much for 30 years.

Another theory, and I would actually consider it to be more likely given how stupid their explanation is but I have zero other evidence to support is, the old guard lead by Taurasi froze Clark out of the Olympics the same way Jordan froze Isaiah Thomas out of the Olympics.
One thing is that Clark has a fanbase. I could see her sitting on the bench or not being passed the ball if she was on the team.

I think the WNBA will struggle until the over 25 yo players now are gone along with the dinosaurs in control of it.
The NBA ending subsidies also might help in the long run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT