ADVERTISEMENT

What Went Wrong in Iowa's OLine Recruiting Strategy?

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Outside Iowa, Kirk Ferentz is known for just two things: conservative coaching and developing strong OL. So what's the deal with Iowa's OL this year? They're blocking for a guy who was thought to be the best back Iowa has had in ages, yet they don't appear to be getting the job done in the run game or in pass protection.

A quick glance at the depth chart reveals the problem: Iowa has a freshmen starting at left tackle, sophomores are starting at RG and right tackle, and ZERO seniors in the entire 10 man 2 deeps. For a "developmental program," it's clear that mistakes were made in 2017 and 2018 recruiting strategy.

Over that 2 year span, the Hawks took a grand total of just 4 OL commits. The first two, Jeff Jenkins and Mark Kallenberger, retired from football early. The third, super star Tristan Wirfs, jumped to the pros early. That leaves just Cody Ince from those two classes remaining on the roster. (Linderbaum later got poached from the DL).

Sure, it's fun getting to see under classmen get playing time on the OL and watching them develop. But it's clear they are playing not because they beat out a bunch of seniors...but because they're all we've got. I'm not an OL coach, but anyone with the slightest bit of foresight could tell you that injuries and attrition are common at OL, so recruiting just 4 linemen over a two year span is probably going to lead to some holes at the position. Clearly, even this staff is aware of this basic rule of thumb, as they took 5 OL commits in just the 2021 class.

Outside Iowa, Kirk Ferentz is known for just two things: conservative coaching and developing strong OL. So what's the deal with Iowa's OL this year? They're blocking for a guy who was thought to be the best back Iowa has had in ages, yet they don't appear to be getting the job done in the run game or in pass protection.

A quick glance at the depth chart reveals the problem: Iowa has a freshmen starting at left tackle, sophomores are starting at RG and right tackle, and ZERO seniors in the entire 10 man 2 deeps. For a "developmental program," it's clear that mistakes were made in 2017 and 2018 recruiting strategy.

Over that 2 year span, the Hawks took a grand total of just 4 OL commits. The first two, Jeff Jenkins and Mark Kallenberger, retired from football early. The third, super star Tristan Wirfs, jumped to the pros early. That leaves just Cody Ince from those two classes remaining on the roster. (Linderbaum later got poached from the DL).

Sure, it's fun getting to see under classmen get playing time on the OL and watching them develop. But it's clear they are playing not because they beat out a bunch of seniors...but because they're all we've got. I'm not an OL coach, but anyone with the slightest bit of foresight could tell you that injuries and attrition are common at OL, so recruiting just 4 linemen over a two year span is probably going to lead to some holes at the position. Clearly, even this staff is aware of this basic rule of thumb, as they took 5 OL commits in just the 2021 class.
Gary-Coleman-wtf.gif

so give KF some credit for poaching a DL who is getting tons of ink as an OL.

dl

It’s a valid question.
Some bad data but the fact is 3 or 4 of the current starters would not have started for alot of iowas previous good teams.

Name a current Iowa O Lineman that will not at least be in an NFL camp. Go!

You’re a lawyer, right? Your avatar is all about demanding respect, right?

Lawyers are well-regarded as the driving force of productivity and creativity in our economy and society. Which is why they advertise their expertise and leadership, I’m guessing.

You've identified our OL as young by looking at the depth chart. An illuminating insight. The whole team is young. But the 2021 OL class was the best since 2004. 2020 class was solid too. You didn’t mention that, because it didn’t fit your narrative.

We need action. Now!

Either you need to file a class action lawsuit against the UI FB program, or all us non-lawyers need to sue you for not presenting the whole picture.

Can we retain you to sue yourself for tendentious argumentation and woefully incomplete evidence?

That legal action should move things forward and help us all enjoy this team which we all agree is in dire need of skepticism and criticism.

(just wondering - when Iowa wins big, are you cheering with friends, or just taking notes like a lonely court stenographer, preparing your analysis, formulating arguments?)

chill. enjoy. Go Hawks!

They’re playing 3 new starters and have faced loaded boxes while trying to maintain a lead. They have faced two very experienced very talented teams. If I was trying to find blame I would say Goodson in ability to put his head down and get 3 is a larger problem than what our Oline is doing.

plus I don’t believe anyone is playing too early. Perhaps richman but he beat out a 4th year player in Plumb who played really well at the end of last year. If anything that points to finding a real star that has yet to develop.

Reactions: HawkCapt1912
The answer to the question is there's nothing wrong with Iowa's recruiting strategy. Look through Hawk history and some years they are young and some years salty. This group will be tough as hell in the future with the experience they are getting. Looking back the Hawks 10-11-12 win seasons are when both lines are loaded and experienced, but this year could be different. Lots of youth on the lines, which makes me get excited looking at the next couple years.

• Haha
Reactions: IowasLaw
They’re playing 3 new starters and have faced loaded boxes while trying to maintain a lead. They have faced two very experienced very talented teams. If I was trying to find blame I would say Goodson in ability to put his head down and get 3 is a larger problem than what our Oline is doing.

plus I don’t believe anyone is playing too early. Perhaps richman but he beat out a 4th year player in Plumb who played really well at the end of last year. If anything that points to finding a real star that has yet to develop.
Goodson is not problem. The problem is the play calling. I would place blame on Brian Ferentz and Coach Barnett. Sure the issues with the running game start with inexperienced tackles. The tackles have done a very poor job at setting the edge. The line is getting very little push and not sustaining blocks. The real monkey on our back, however, is the inability or unwillingness of our coaches to adapt the running philosophy to fit personnel. If you KNOW your tackles are struggling to set an edge, then for the love all things Hawkeyes STOP RUNNING ZONE STRETCH PLAYS WITH THE BACK 5 YARDS deep and start running counters and ISOs and running out of I-form and heavy sets. The line looked great when we were running FB ISOs and when Goodson ran off tackle for the TD. We also ran a lot more power when IKM was in the game and had mixed success.

Getting to the outside is nice but we have an ALL AMERICAN CENTER. We should be able to line up in I-Tight and run ISO plays all days for 4 ypc or more. Then when the defense starts stacking the middle, bounce it outside. Or pull a freakin guard and run a counter. If I see another zone stretch for 2 yards or less I'm going to puke.

I understand that Goodson is dangerous if can get the edge, but we need positive yards. So pass or run power runs on 1st down and then maybe try to work the zone plays on 2nd where there is less risk if we can get 5-6 yards on 1st down.

I also think it's time we start to develop O-Linemen that block a variety of schemes and adapt our running game to be versatile. Then maybe the opposing defenses won't have the play identified before the snap. Also maybe in the offseason we send our coaches to shadow NFL teams that are actually successful running the ball like Tennessee or Kansas City instead of the NE Patriots whose running game has been pure crap for the last decade.

Lawyers are well-regarded as the driving force of productivity and creativity in our economy and society. Which is why they advertise their expertise and leadership, I’m guessing.

You've identified our OL as young by looking at the depth chart. An illuminating insight. The whole team is young. But the 2021 OL class was the best since 2004. 2020 class was solid too. You didn’t mention that, because it didn’t fit your narrative.

We need action. Now!

Either you need to file a class action lawsuit against the UI FB program, or all us non-lawyers need to sue you for not presenting the whole picture.

Can we retain you to sue yourself for tendentious argumentation and woefully incomplete evidence?

That legal action should move things forward and help us all enjoy this team which we all agree is in dire need of skepticism and criticism.

(just wondering - when Iowa wins big, are you cheering with friends, or just taking notes like a lonely court stenographer, preparing your analysis, formulating arguments?)

chill. enjoy. Go Hawks!
One of the dumbest posts I've seen on this board in some time.

A response to a post about Iowa's lack of upperclassmen OL on the roster that focuses on: (i) the philosophical purpose of lawyers; and (ii) Iowa having a great OL recruiting class in 2021, none of whom have anything to do with the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes mentioned in the thread or Iowa's current OL woes? LOL! Is this guy serious?

We need action. Now!

chill. enjoy. Go Hawks!
I would describe this retort as an Iowa offensive line “pancake block” on IowasLaw a$$! Well done sir!

One of the dumbest posts I've seen on this board in some time.

A response to a post about Iowa's lack of upperclassmen OL on the roster that focuses on: (i) the philosophical purpose of lawyers; and (ii) Iowa having a great OL recruiting class in 2021, none of whom have anything to do with the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes mentioned in the thread or Iowa's current OL woes? LOL! Is this guy serious?

Still haven't gotten back on Goodson "only coming back to audition for the NFL", Twins. Where else was a second -year player going to go in his third year?
None of you guys actually believe this troll is an Iowa fan, do you. Clever schtick, though:pretend to be an Iowa fan so as not to get laughed out of here for the Clowns' epic fail Saturday.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I think people will feel very differently about our OL and our running attack in the next few weeks.
I really think people are forgetting how talented the two defenses are the Hawks have faced this year. With ol being so young and on the small side on top of that, it should only get better which will improve the running game and Spencer's game. These two games came at the perfect time.

Reactions: F5n5
I rewatched the game this afternoon. I did notice when Jack Plumb played right tackle he was consistently getting beat by ISU's left DE. It was not a great day for our OL but I think the staff will get it fixed over the next couple of weeks.

Goodson is not problem. The problem is the play calling. I would place blame on Brian Ferentz and Coach Barnett. Sure the issues with the running game start with inexperienced tackles. The tackles have done a very poor job at setting the edge. The line is getting very little push and not sustaining blocks. The real monkey on our back, however, is the inability or unwillingness of our coaches to adapt the running philosophy to fit personnel. If you KNOW your tackles are struggling to set an edge, then for the love all things Hawkeyes STOP RUNNING ZONE STRETCH PLAYS WITH THE BACK 5 YARDS deep and start running counters and ISOs and running out of I-form and heavy sets. The line looked great when we were running FB ISOs and when Goodson ran off tackle for the TD. We also ran a lot more power when IKM was in the game and had mixed success.

Getting to the outside is nice but we have an ALL AMERICAN CENTER. We should be able to line up in I-Tight and run ISO plays all days for 4 ypc or more. Then when the defense starts stacking the middle, bounce it outside. Or pull a freakin guard and run a counter. If I see another zone stretch for 2 yards or less I'm going to puke.

I understand that Goodson is dangerous if can get the edge, but we need positive yards. So pass or run power runs on 1st down and then maybe try to work the zone plays on 2nd where there is less risk if we can get 5-6 yards on 1st down.

I also think it's time we start to develop O-Linemen that block a variety of schemes and adapt our running game to be versatile. Then maybe the opposing defenses won't have the play identified before the snap. Also maybe in the offseason we send our coaches to shadow NFL teams that are actually successful running the ball like Tennessee or Kansas City instead of the NE Patriots whose running game has been pure crap for the last decade.
Great post and analysis. There are a couple of things that I might add. One is that the zone scheme contradicts the desired style of play. Its no secret that Iowa's style of play has been to control the ball and time of possession, limit possessions, and to play solid bend-but-don't-break defense. Its been that way for 23 years. The zone scheme, to me, has its advantages with respect to explosive plays. But, to the desired style, wouldn't it make more sense to give up some explosiveness to gain some consistency? Also, it sure seems it is much easier to break in an offensive lineman or two in a more traditional power blocking scheme than the zone scheme.

Hey you didn't spell your name wrong, congrats! I still didn't read the post but baby steps I suppose.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this guy is about the most worthless poster on this board.

This is Twins or one of the Pollard minions. The law angle is a "clever" attempt to pawn Hawkfan 23 (formerly known as Kujawa Fan). It is truly sad any adult human would determine his purpose in life is to bombard his hated rival's forum in some pathetic attempt to turn our fans against our program. What a waste of a life.

The primary point of merit is that ideally, as a developmental program ... you don't want to see too much attrition.

However, on the flip side ... YOU DO want to see a natural filtering process wherein folks who don't fit the program get filtered out sooner rather than later.

It does just so happen that the Hawks have a number of high quality walk-ons in the program ... Shooter and DeJong being but two ... good things have been said of guys like Fagan, Empen, and Fox (at least in the past). When you combine hard-nosed, hard-working walk-ons ... and complement it with high-level talented recruits like Richman, Colby, Elsbury, Davidkov, Stephens, and Mylinski ... that's not always such a bad mix.

The primary "miss" is that it would have been ideal had Kallenberger stuck around ... it would have led to less of a "transition" at OT.

This^^^^^

They are young. That’s all.

We are 2 games into the season and they have played some top notch defenses.th o line has always seemed to need 3-4 games to really gel. We get a couple cupcakes for them to start figuring it out and hopefully a WR or 2 can begin to blossom. If so then we have a legit chance at winning the West. Getting Schott back should help as well.

So your post is way off. The outside zone was our best running scheme of the game. Goodson’s TD run was also on outside zone. From what I watched we ran 0 power plays the entire game. We were constantly getting stuffed on inside zone/ISO. The issue is we were getting no push at all from the offensive line and had issues with heads up defenders. As for as run scheme goes, Iowa’s base will always be inside zone, outside zone, and gap. You mention go visit Tennessee and Kansas City those teams are all zone run based offenses so very little will likely change. NE is the only team that is diverse in the run game but ever since they lost scarbeccia they have struggled. Attached is a great look of what a lot of our Inside zone/iso plays looked like.

Yes. The lawyers coach the teams. Write the books and direct the films. They make the discoveries and design the technologies. They build the bridges. They diagnose the illnesses and develop the vaccines. And they dominate the self-referential third-person expert posts on message boards

Without lawyers, we wouldnt have anyone to help us sue each other…creatively and productively.

Reactions: HerkysDad
So your post is way off. The outside zone was our best running scheme of the game. Goodson’s TD run was also on outside zone. From what I watched we ran 0 power plays the entire game. We were constantly getting stuffed on inside zone/ISO. The issue is we were getting no push at all from the offensive line and had issues with heads up defenders. As for as run scheme goes, Iowa’s base will always be inside zone, outside zone, and gap. You mention go visit Tennessee and Kansas City those teams are all zone run based offenses so very little will likely change. NE is the only team that is diverse in the run game but ever since they lost scarbeccia they have struggled. Attached is a great look of what a lot of our Inside zone/iso plays looked like.

That is not an ISO play. An ISO play is run to the left of right of center inside the guard typically with a lead blocker. It was a zone play and it got completely blown up. Goodson scored an off tackle run. It was not an outside zone as it was inside the tackle between the guard and tackle. It was a designed off tackle run where the guard pulled opening a hole between the guard/tackle and it was the best run of the day.

IThat play is inside zone as you say which is not the same as ISO. The inside zone was completely blown up as ISU played the gaps all day. The best runs of the day were power runs -- most of them by IKM. ISO running is typically run from a heavy or I formation with a lead blocker. The lead blocker is lined up directly behind the QB and not offset. We didn't run any HB ISO but Pottebaum gained good yardage on FB ISO plays where Laporta shifted over to become the lead blocker.

Watch Goodson's TD again. It was not a zone play. It was a typical off tackle run where the guard pulled which allowed Goodson to run through a gap the size of Texas. Every time we ran inside zone or zone stretch the play got blown up in the backfield or gained minimal yardage. The runs where gained positive yardage were the FB ISO, Goodson's TD which was off tackle, and power runs by IKM.

Reactions: obfuscating

I agree with your first paragraph but disagree with what you said about Plumb. Our two guards need to play better also. I was expecting more from Britt and Ince (is he healthy?). Hopefully Schott returning will help. Kallenberger quitting hurt this unit.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT