ADVERTISEMENT

Where there’s smoke…..

You might be right. But not everyone is motivated by money ... especially when you already have a lot of it.
I’m sure the civil suit that he has with the death of the jogger plays a role in his financial/coaching decisions if they haven’t already paid out millions to settle that accidental death. I can see Fran stepping away after next year so he can get one more year of salary then heading east to Indy to watch Jack play at Butler should he decide to play there.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I’m sure the civil suit that he has with the death of the jogger plays a role in his financial/coaching decisions if they haven’t already paid out millions to settle that accidental death. I can see Fran stepping away after next year so he can get one more year of salary then heading east to Indy to watch Jack play at Butler should he decide to play there.
I'm sure the McCaffery's have an umbrella insurance policy covering liabilities in situations like this. If not, he certainly should have.

If Fran did that he would be completely validating every bit of criticism he’s gotten. I tend to think if he’s leaving this year, he’ll do as some suggested and wait till after the women get knocked out to announce it…though I’m not sure why.

That said, you have to believe that Beth knows if that’s his plan. If she doesn’t have a shortlist now, and perhaps is even making a few phone calls, she’s derelict in her duties.
I am kind of falling in the camp that Fran likely isn’t going anywhere. But I do think there’s a strong argument to be made as to why the timing could be right to make a move, so I am happy to engage in this conversation.

I think this could be a situation in which Fran still doesn’t know what he’s going to do. It’s possible that he’s had conversations about other jobs, but doesn’t yet know if he’s going to get them. So there might not be anything to tell Beth yet.

That said, I agree that Beth, like any AD, should already have some names on a shortlist to refer to if needed.

You guys donating your hard earned money and not putting it aside for your family or non-profit civic charities..,,, I'll never understand you. Its a game. Meanwhile, kids are sleeping in cars before they have to go to school. Lets get our priorities straight.
💯 This. The thing is, fans are giving hard earned money to kids who are just kind of good at a sport to play for their favorite team. Homeless kids all over the place but someone wants to give Tony Perkins 300K instead. All of this is kind of gross when you think about it. Much worse than even I thought it would be and I have been warning about this for 15 years.

What big name coach would want to come to Iowa, where men’s bball sits behind fball, wrestling, and women’s bball. If Fran leaves I’d be guessing the applications are full of young coaches with some success at smaller schools. Hell this AD could prove me wrong, she seems to have the biggest set of anyone over there anymore.

In the new NIL world the coach that raises the most NIL and gets the best roster wins---no longer the guy that has most charisma on the recruiting trail to get 1 and dones. So guys like Calipari, PItino are suffering. There will be no shortage of applications for the Iowa job after Fran leaves and getting a big name coach from another P5 school is not requred for success. There has been little correlation of coaching pay and performance inside the Big10. Holtzman at OSU was near the top of big10 around 6 million a year and he was a dud. Painter has had best performance and he is middle of the pack Fran 12th in pay now and he's usually middle of the pack.

Sure if Iowa could get Shaka Smart, I think an accomplished coach like him that can appeal to black athletes would be a big step up for Iowa. However as ISU showed with hiring TJ at initially $1.2 million level, hiring a young guy that embraces NIL and has a system that translates towards better NCAA success (defense) is a smart play.

IMO the Big Ten was a lot tougher back then too.

I understand the Raveling recruits argument, but the Big Ten was brutal most years. Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio State were elite programs. Then you throw in Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue and that makes for some tough sledding. Minnesota could also be decent and even had a Final Four squad later in the 1990s. Wisconsin was also starting to suck less. So, there really wasn’t a lot of cupcakes on the schedule.

Davis IMO also wasn’t as awful of a recruiter as people like to think. Yeah, I think toward the end of his tenure he got kind of lazy (from what I’ve heard), but he still brought in a few highly ranked players and guys who were pretty good. Acie Earl, Chris Street, Jess Settles, Kenyon Murray (McDonald’s AA), Chris Kingsbury (McDonald’s AA), Andre Woolridge, Dean Oliver, Ricky Davis, and even Joey Range was highly ranked.

IMO Davis never recovered from the Chris Street tragedy. Who knows what happens with the Iowa program if Street isn’t killed. Not landing LaFrentz might have been the nail in his coffin, which wasn’t exactly fair.

Still, I don’t think Fran is at Dr. Tom’s level. Davis’s teams were tough and rebounded. And, again, no fourteen conference teams that allowed for a handful of cupcakes on the schedule and avoiding a home and home with some of the conference’s best.

Illinois was elite in late 80’s and agree the league was a gauntlet.

Also Ray Thompson was a Dr Tom recruit, and highly touted.

LoL. Not saying Fran won’t leave but isn’t going anywhere. He likes cashing those $3 plus million checks. And who would hire him cause for one, and two, he isn’t making that kind of money elsewhere. BG will get her coach when the time is right, which feels like now but I can see Fran hanging on for a year or two then be done.
Oklahoma State maybe.

Last edited:
Anyone got a short list of young and hungry coaches?
My top (realistic) choice would be Drew Bryce at Grand Canyon. Midwesterner. IHistory of NCAA Tournament success as player and coach with mid-majors (hit “the shot” when playing at Valparaiso). Had a rough go when coaching Vanderbilt, but he was really young then and a lot of coaches do better their second time around with big programs.

Others that I think would be strong candidates are Eric Henderson at South Dakota State and Preston Spradlin at Morehead State.

My top (realistic) choice would be Drew Bryce at Grand Canyon. Midwesterner. IHistory of NCAA Tournament success as player and coach with mid-majors (hit “the shot” when playing at Valparaiso). Had a rough go when coaching Vanderbilt, but he was really young then and a lot of coaches do better their second time around with big programs.

Others that I think would be strong candidates are Eric Henderson at South Dakota State and Preston Spradlin at Morehead State.

Bryce Drew. I had not heard his name in a while. We need a young, hungry and ballzy recruiter.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Yeah let’s hype up those B1G West championships! Let’s not talk about how that division was worse than the Big XII North all those years ago.
I guess You missed the 6 top 10 Finishes , BCS Bowl victory , 2 Conference Championships ,Beating Florida, LSU, USC ect in Bowls and a top 15 win % since 2015 , Instead You adderal fixate on just the West Division . You must either be a 3 nippled inbred Nebraska Fan or a 20 Year old glitter in Your arse Iowa Fan who just got off His Dad's genetically modified breastmilk.

Steve Forbes is on campus today.

Spoke with him for about 10 minutes. Coaching at Iowa was never part of the conversation. He has a loved one being cared for at the UIHC.

"Iowa is always home for me. I'll get back here someday."

Will Wade is interesting. Got in big trouble with illegal recrouting, went to the doghouse, was rehired at McNeese and had them in the Dance. The guy can flat out win. His personality is huge. Not sure if he would be a great fit here, but now that NIL basically makes nothing illegal, it would be interesting.

He has to leave now. Jesus Christ! His own kid is transferring. Who the f u c k is going to commit here now. It’s a lame duck situation of his own families doing in my opinion.

Reactions: mizzy2442
Steve Forbes is on campus today.

Spoke with him for about 10 minutes. Coaching at Iowa was never part of the conversation. He has a loved one being cared for at the UIHC.

"Iowa is always home for me. I'll get back here someday."
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

I’m starting to hear some rumblings regarding Fran’s future at Iowa. Nothing definitive, but it makes since considering Pat’s departure and Jack’s decision not to play at Iowa. We aren’t talking retirement, but an offer to coach elsewhere(possibly Jack playing for him)

I’ll keep my ear to the ground to see if there’s anything at all to this rumor. It would probably be in everyone’s best interest if this change did come to fruition.
When I read Beth’s press statement about BF being let go…it was a feeling of relief. Same would be true if this rumor has legs…😎

...This being said, he is limited if NIL money is not there. It is what it is & players wanna be paid. Can you blame them for going for the money? This could be Fran's excuse for not getting players & it's legitimate.
Fran (& most P5 coaches) makes plenty. His kids have been on schollie. Any coach could drop a couple hundred k (or give through a collective) to help get the roster they really needed. It would enhance his program, record, and in turn, lead to pay raises in new or re-negotiated C's.

Reactions: Underscore2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT