ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Getting the Fall COVID Vaccine?

Primarily to provide protection against serious illness among the elderly or those with comorbidities.

If you don't fall into those categories and aren't trying to guard family members at risk, you don't need the new jab.

Might want to get it anyway, because it will still lower your risk some, but not urgent.

At least that's my understanding.

So, no defined purpose?

Until I see what possible harmful side effects the newer vaccines produce, I won't get a shot. I had 2 original shots, I had covid 3 times (once self tested + so ??). I am 60 and covid symptoms were minimal.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I always wanted Novavax. But at my age, I took what they had, which was J&J - and was glad to get it. Less glad when it turned out it had lower efficacy and higher risks.

I subsequently got mRNA versions. And, again, glad to get them. But some recent studies make them sound more problematic than expected. So I'd still rather have something else. The most troubling report has to do with finding spikes in muscle and fat cells, long after being vaccinated. Might be harmless, but shouldn't be happening.

The difference now is that I'm probably somewhat protected against severe illness. So I feel I can be a little pickier, despite my age. At the end of the day, though, I'll probably get the fall mRNA version, because that may be all that's on offer.

I took pretty much the same route. J&J first. Then a Pfizer booster in January of 2022, then a Moderna bivalent booster n January of 2023. I probably won't be getting the next booster, but I'm not sure yet. My elderly parents have chosen to get every booster, and when they both got Covid last December, they had very mild cases. I think something is working for them.

Safety issues aside for the moment, I think some of the initial hand wringing about J&J's efficacy turned out to be for nothing. Long term, some studies suggested that J&J was more effective than the original MRNA vaccines. Those originally vaccinated with J&J had lower incidences of Omicron infections than those originally vaccinated with MRNA vaccines.

I absolutely will for two reasons.
I coach high school kids and my wife can not get the shot.
How exactly do either of those two things factor in? You do realize the vax doesn't prevent you from catching it or spreading it right? Your vax does nothing to help your wife?

Until I see what possible harmful side effects the newer vaccines produce, I won't get a shot. I had 2 original shots, I had covid 3 times (once self tested + so ??). I am 60 and covid symptoms were minimal.
Sounds like you're in good shape and can afford to mull it over.

Just out of curiosity, which vaccines did you get and how hard did the vaccines hit you?

I ask because I'm curious whether having an easy (or hard) time with the vaccine predicts how hard COVID itself affects you. I haven seen any reports on that.

Feels like a lot of people believe that if something is not 100% effective, it’s not worth doing.

So do you not wear seatbelts because people who wear seatbelts may still occasionally die in auto accidents?
Yeah. It's like the poster here who keeps referencing one of Biden's comments as though that was a definitive assessment from the scientific community.

I wasn't there for Biden's comment, so I don't know the context. Out of context it sounds like a simple overstatement or maybe even a gaffe - from a guy who has something of a reputation for making occasional gaffes. I don't know which.

What I do know is that anyone who was paying attention to the scientific community would not have been as confused by that comment as our HROT comrade continues to be.

Moreover, so what if Biden made a mistake? How stupid are you to rest your whole denier stance on one non-scientist's verbal error?

SMH

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
To all the "whatever my doctor says I'll do", you all need to wake up and take significantly more ownership of your own health. Are you afraid to ask a few basic questions and think for yourself?
The amount of prescribed meds pushed down the chain from pharma companies, to reps then to docs is astounding. You think these doctors are doing all their research before telling you what to put in your body? Nfw.
When my doc pushed a booster after I had vax 1 and 2 then multiple covid positives, I asked him why should I get boosted at this point, hasn't my immune system created a response resistance after 2 vaxs and 2 covid positives? He said, "we don't know and we're just recommending everyone get boosted ". This was late spring of '22. Fuvk that.

Sounds like you're in good shape and can afford to mull it over.

Just out of curiosity, which vaccines did you get and how hard did the vaccines hit you?

I ask because I'm curious whether having an easy (or hard) time with the vaccine predicts how hard COVID itself affects you. I haven seen any reports on that.
Pfizer 1 and 2, then a booster, so three total. I was thinking two but 1 and 2 were only 3 weeks apart so confused? Booster came 8 mos after. No sides from any of the shots other than a sore arm (I blame the nurses...lol) and a headache for a few hours.

A good question in regards to vaccine and Covid symptoms. Anecdotally I don't know anyone that had bad covid and a bad reaction to vaccines, if that is the correlation you are looking for?

I suppose there is data out there about serious sides, I just haven't looked. I haven't read up on new vaccines either, but at this point I am inclined to not get a vaccine.

You think these doctors are doing all their research before telling you what to put in your body?

Yes; they get recommendations from the AMA.

MANY if not MOST of the "prescription drugs" administered are coming from PATIENTS, who see the TV ads and request them.

Go look at the data from Israel and New South Wales Australia. We can play the statistics game all day long.
https://www.reuters.com/article/fac...-likely-to-have-been-vaccinated-idUSL1N3442XK

If this is what you are discussing. That the majority of south wales is vaccinated so it is not surprised deaths would primarily come from that group. Even still the death rates of the unvaccinated were over twice that of the population that was unvaccinated as a percentage. Still showing you would have been better off to have the vaccine than not have the vaccine.

Go look at the data from Israel
OK

Abstract​

BACKGROUND​

On January 2, 2022, Israel began administering a fourth dose of BNT162b2 vaccine to persons 60 years of age or older. Data are needed regarding the effect of the fourth dose on rates of confirmed severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection and of severe coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

METHODS​

Using the Israeli Ministry of Health database, we extracted data on 1,252,331 persons who were 60 years of age or older and eligible for the fourth dose during a period in which the B.1.1.529 (omicron) variant of SARS-CoV-2 was predominant (January 10 through March 2, 2022). We estimated the rate of confirmed infection and severe Covid-19 as a function of time starting at 8 days after receipt of a fourth dose (four-dose groups) as compared with that among persons who had received only three doses (three-dose group) and among persons who had received a fourth dose 3 to 7 days earlier (internal control group). For the estimation of rates, we used quasi-Poisson regression with adjustment for age, sex, demographic group, and calendar day.

RESULTS​

The number of cases of severe Covid-19 per 100,000 person-days (unadjusted rate) was 1.5 in the aggregated four-dose groups, 3.9 in the three-dose group, and 4.2 in the internal control group. In the quasi-Poisson analysis, the adjusted rate of severe Covid-19 in the fourth week after receipt of the fourth dose was lower than that in the three-dose group by a factor of 3.5 (95% confidence interval [CI], 2.7 to 4.6) and was lower than that in the internal control group by a factor of 2.3 (95% CI, 1.7 to 3.3). Protection against severe illness did not wane during the 6 weeks after receipt of the fourth dose. The number of cases of confirmed infection per 100,000 person-days (unadjusted rate) was 177 in the aggregated four-dose groups, 361 in the three-dose group, and 388 in the internal control group. In the quasi-Poisson analysis, the adjusted rate of confirmed infection in the fourth week after receipt of the fourth dose was lower than that in the three-dose group by a factor of 2.0 (95% CI, 1.9 to 2.1) and was lower than that in the internal control group by a factor of 1.8 (95% CI, 1.7 to 1.9). However, this protection waned in later weeks.

CONCLUSIONS​

Rates of confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection and severe Covid-19 were lower after a fourth dose of BNT162b2 vaccine than after only three doses. Protection against confirmed infection appeared short-lived, whereas protection against severe illness did not wane during the study period.

Reactions: bunsen82
D
This line of thinking always bothers me.

Regardless of how you feel about vaccines, I encourage everyone to take an active part in all of your healthcare (vaccines as well as general medical care). Don't put blind faith in your providers.

Do your own research and ask your doctor questions. If you agree with the doctor then by all means listen to them. But if you don't agree with what they say, get a second opinion. You have much more riding on the treatment plan/outcome than the doctor does.

This does not imply that you shouldn't trust doctors at all, but its meant to emphasize that you need to look out for yourself and your family.

The reality is that doctors are human and they make mistakes. Lots of them.
Do your own research. We have seen your research. You are not a sane person.

These threads always amuse the shit out of me. I'll be attending to producing more spike protein in a little bit. Keep up the good work!

I took the first two shots and then a booster about a year later. After the booster I had a reaction so going to hold off on any more for now. My doc is fine with that based on the reaction I had. Going more natural with vitamins, more exercise (dropped 10 pounds with 5 more to go) and eating healthier. Only been sick once in the past 40 years so knock on wood I seem to have a strong immune system.

Feels like a lot of people believe that if something is not 100% effective, it’s not worth doing.
Surely you and others are capable of understanding that 'effective' can range from 1% to 100% effective.
It's not black and white, when someone says something is effective, and it's 12% effective, then that might be a significant factor in the decision making process.

Surely you and others are capable of understanding that 'effective' can range from 1% to 100% effective.
It's not black and white, when someone says something is effective, and it's 12% effective, then that might be a significant factor in the decision making process.
You are proof that a private school education at Regina isn't of value. It's amazing how ignorant you are on simple issues.

I get that and that’s the analysis I make personally - age, health, etc. known risks of vaccination vs known risks of COVID, etc.

But there are plenty of examples in HORT of people claiming “it doesn’t work” and “it’s ineffective” in absolute terms. No indication they’re engaging in any sort of thoughtful process.

Reactions: globalhawk
You gonna claim you know more than a primary care physician, Cletus?
Hey look, another completely made up dishonest post from the biggest fraud in hrot history. My post never remotely suggested anything close, but you don't know any other way do you? Liars lie. It's what they do.

And, with respect to "severe disease", the vaccines have proven "very effective".
Put a number on 'very effective'.

Previous infection alone can confer 90% protection against severe disease according to a study in The Lancet.
But, people are assigning that protection to the vaccine in many cases.

"We identified a total of 65 studies from 19 different countries. Our meta-analyses showed that protection from past infection and any symptomatic disease was high for ancestral, alpha, beta, and delta variants, but was substantially lower for the omicron BA.1 variant.
Protection against severe disease remained high for all variants, with 90·2% (69·7–97·5) for ancestral, alpha, and delta variants, and 88·9% (84·7–90·9) for omicron BA.1 at 40 weeks."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT