ADVERTISEMENT

2023 NCAA Championships Session II Thread

No two ways about it, Hawks are going to have some absolute dogfights in R16 and R12 matches. Lee/Woods/Cass as your locks.

Teske:
-Phillippi
-Palmer (R16)
-Latona/Arujau (R12)

Siebrecht:
-Chumbley
-Saldate/Coleman (R16)
-Andonian/Haines (R12)

Kennedy:
-Sparks
-Ramirez (R16)
-Griffith/Carr (R12)

Assad:
-Kane
-Nolan/Antrassian (R16)
-Bolen/Hidlay (R12)

Warner
-Bockman
-Trumble (R16)
-Nino/Allred (R12)

Then Murin:
-Yianni (QF)
-Gomez (R12)

Brands:
-Lewis (QF)
-Jordan/Ruth/Picklo/Washington (R12)

We could have a lot of guys in the R12. I think Brands can punch through if he loses to Lewis, although if ever there were a time to beat Lewis, it's now, he definitely doesn't look right. Maybe he'll be moving slow tomorrow with next day soreness and 2nd weigh in. Brands is on fire the last month.

I'm nervous as hell about a lot of the others to be perfectly honest. Hoping for some inspired wrestling tomorrow.

He’s the 14 seed, he was going to have a really tough road either way. But, if he could make the finals last year, he can make the podium this year. His issue has always been as much in his head as anywhere else. Just need to see if it lines a fire or douses any embers that may be left…
Could be his knee this year:/

• Haha
Reactions: LafesterMacintosh
Abe and Warner will have really tough RD12 matches if they get that far. PK will have to beat the 4 seed, then a former champ to AA (brutal) . Cobe will have to get past Saldate. Gonna be a tall task for all of them. After tomorrow's quarterfinals and consolation round it could be a very ugly place here for the semis. The Hawks need to win at least 4 of the quarterfinals tomorrow morning to offset all the brutal backside draws they have now.

Reactions: TarpHawk
No two ways about it, Hawks are going to have some absolute dogfights in R16 and R12 matches. Lee/Woods/Cass as your locks.

Teske:
-Phillippi
-Palmer (R16)
-Latona/Arujau (R12)

Siebrecht:
-Chumbley
-Saldate/Coleman (R16)
-Andonian/Haines (R12)

Kennedy:
-Sparks
-Ramirez (R16)
-Griffith/Carr (R12)

Assad:
-Kane
-Nolan/Antrassian (R16)
-Bolen/Hidlay (R12)

Warner
-Bockman
-Trumble (R16)
-Nino/Allred (R12)

Then Murin:
-Yianni (QF)
-Gomez (R12)

Brands:
-Lewis (QF)

We could have a lot of guys in the R12. I think Brands can punch through if he loses to Lewis, although if ever there were a time to beat Lewis, it's now, he definitely doesn't look right. Maybe he'll be moving slow tomorrow with next day soreness and 2nd weigh in. Brands is on fire the last month.

I'm nervous as hell about a lot of the others to be perfectly honest. Hoping for some inspired wrestling tomorrow.
Man those backside paths are ugly! Murin will AA, Gomez is a shell of himself right now.

If I were a betting man, my bet on long shot of the day would be on Brands. Lewis hasn’t looked good at all. Nelson is wrestling really well. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he pulls the upset.

Not sure what everyone is expecting with this line up.
You expected a different wrestler than what you’ve seen all year?
This team is solid but not great. Which is exactly what we are recruiting right now.
I think they are actually wrestling very tough.

They are going to have to earn it on the bottom. They are all grinders, so they are all going to have their chances. Got to go earn it.

That being said, Nelson has a big opportunity tomorrow. Lewis is banged up, and Mikey hasn’t wrestled very well thus far. I think he has a legitimate chance to make the finals.

Real better start wrestling for 7 minutes or he’s going to get caught.

To me Cass just looks better than Schultz. Got to avoid the big move.

Upper weights have not been wrestling "Iowa Style " for a long time.
Tony gets after it quite a bit but before him it was a snoozefest for years at Hwt. too.
To be fair, Tony might be the only heavy of the Brands Era not to lose a complete year / have a catastrophic career changing injury.

• Haha
Reactions: LafesterMacintosh
Si

Teske:
-Phillippi
-Palmer (R16)
-Latona/Arujau (R12)

Siebrecht:
-Chumbley
-Saldate/Coleman (R16)
-Andonian/Haines (R12)

Kennedy:
-Sparks
-Ramirez (R16)
-Griffith/Carr (R12)

Assad:
-Kane
-Nolan/Antrassian (R16)
-Bolen/Hidlay (R12)

Warner
-Bockman
-Trumble (R16)
-Nino/Allred (R12)

Then Murin:
-Yianni (QF)
-Gomez (R12)

Brands:
-Lewis (QF)

Siebrecht vs Andonian would be a wild match.

Reactions: funnyfletcher

Teske:
-Phillippi
-Palmer (R16)
-Latona/Arujau (R12)

Siebrecht:
-Chumbley
-Saldate/Coleman (R16)
-Andonian/Haines (R12)

Kennedy:
-Sparks
-Ramirez (R16)
-Griffith/Carr (R12)

Assad:
-Kane
-Nolan/Antrassian (R16)
-Bolen/Hidlay (R12)

Warner
-Bockman
-Trumble (R16)
-Nino/Allred (R12)

Then Murin:
-Yianni (QF)
-Gomez (R12)

Brands:
-Lewis (QF)

After the three locks, Brands has put himself in a good position to All-American and Max has been great but has some real tough matches tomorrow. Are we looking at a ceiling of five, realistically four, but maybe only three all Americans?!!

Did anyone else see or think siebrecht was holding his good shoulder after his last match? Looked like he had no interest in using it.

Tough as shit path to AA for a lot of our guys tomorrow. Need a few inspired performances tomorrow. Lee, woods and cass to take care of business and hope Nelson can steal one from a less than 100% Lewis. Find a way to stay alive on the back.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I’m

Teske:
-Phillippi
-Palmer (R16)
-Latona/Arujau (R12)

Siebrecht:
-Chumbley
-Saldate/Coleman (R16)
-Andonian/Haines (R12)

Kennedy:
-Sparks
-Ramirez (R16)
-Griffith/Carr (R12)

Assad:
-Kane
-Nolan/Antrassian (R16)
-Bolen/Hidlay (R12)

Warner
-Bockman
-Trumble (R16)
-Nino/Allred (R12)

Then Murin:
-Yianni (QF)
-Gomez (R12)

Brands:
-Lewis (QF)

what if Brands pulls the miracle and takes out Lewis and star?

Upper weights have not been wrestling "Iowa Style " for a long time.
Tony gets after it quite a bit but before him it was a snoozefest for years at Hwt. too.
Maybe this is the new “Iowa style” it’s basically been the same for a generation.

If I was Warner and would too. As far away from Iowa City as I could go.
Warner has done a very good job. He has never had the flexibility (injury has factored here) to be able to hit lower level shots like the ones Allred has hit on Dean and he cuts a good amount so he doesn't have a never ending gas tank. He has had to use a more calculated style and win a lot of gritty matches but he has won a lot. I really hope he can get on the stand again. He has performed very well overall. People are going to having some real complaints next year with what is currently available behind him because right now they are not even close to as good as he is.

As you said we need better talent, that comes with better results, how do get there? Doing the same old isn't working.

It all starts with coaching.

I've been saying this a long time and have always gotten blasted, get some NON-Hawkeye blood in the room.

Open your eyes people, it can and SHOULD be better than this.

PSU is light years ahead of us in practically everything right now.

A guy like David Taylor would do absolute wonders to recruiting/coaching.

Can't disagree with any of the pessimism here. Hoping for the best today, but those paths to AA are not good.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Man those backside paths are ugly! Murin will AA, Gomez is a shell of himself right now.

If I were a betting man, my bet on long shot of the day would be on Brands. Lewis hasn’t looked good at all. Nelson is wrestling really well. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he pulls the upset.
Lewis hasn't looked great but he's also still got elite skills. Just don't see Nelson being able to take him down

Warner has done a very good job. He has never had the flexibility (injury has factored here) to be able to hit lower level shots like the ones Allred has hit on Dean and he cuts a good amount so he doesn't have a never ending gas tank. He has had to use a more calculated style and win a lot of gritty matches but he has won a lot. I really hope he can get on the stand again. He has performed very well overall. People are going to having some real complaints next year with what is currently available behind him because right now they are not even close to as good as he is.
What I meant about Warner was all the crap he has to take on this forum that I would get as far away from Iowa City possible.

Coleman misses a duck and not a good reshot
24s
they hang out for the last 24s
end of

Which year did marinelli have 3 national Champs in his bracket?
Not sure why that has anything to do with Assads perfromance against Coleman? I had 0 expectations for him to beat Coleman and the match was almost identical to the way i imagined it would go. Another yawner.

LOL at Warner getting "gifts" last year. WTF are you talking about?
What gifts did he get last year? He beat the 3 and 2 seed himself.
Fair enough. I remembered it being easier than it was. He has certain people that he can’t get past and Schultz was one of those that wrestled Warners coin flip game. He beat alred this season and that is better than having dean in his path as dean is one of those guys he can’t get past

With transfers and NIL there is no such thing as a total rebuild. Start with Ayala, Woods, Chittum, Kennedy, Brands?, Abe, Cass - that’s not too shabby.
I thought the word was Cass was done after the year. Even if he’s not, we have proven commodities in Woods and a top 6 from Cass. Meanwhile our friends to the East seem to constantly reload and develop.

What I meant about Warner was all the crap he has to take on this forum that I would get as far away from Iowa City possible.
I hope he is smart enough to not ever come here. Unless you can use it as motivation stay away from this. We want them to put in all the effort, never fail and tear them apart when they don’t meat most of our unrealistic goals for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT