ADVERTISEMENT

A no go on Paul Chryst?

Bring on Philbin.

He won a Super Bowl calling the plays and he has a tremendous amount of experience coaching the offensive line.
Yup, I just see more upside with JP….everything revolves around the OL and he can definitely help!😎

It wouldn’t surprise me if it came down the Chryst’s ambition to be a head coach sooner rather than later. Ferentz likely wants to find someone who will stay for the remainder of his time at Iowa so he doesn’t have to go through the hiring process again.
But I thought Kirk only had a couple years left? You know his boy got fired, NIL, portal, west coast games. Thought he was running away angry and scared?

I was coming around to the idea of Chryst being the guy. But, Philbin makes sense from Kirk's perspective. They have a history together. He'll fit right into what Kirk wants to do, no need for new wrinkles or philosophies. He's 62. He can stick with Kirk until Kirk retires. And when Kirk retires in 2-4 years, he'll be ready to retire as well (as well as Phil). This will it open it up for a new coach to come in with his new staff.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
It wouldn’t surprise me if it came down the Chryst’s ambition to be a head coach sooner rather than later. Ferentz likely wants to find someone who will stay for the remainder of his time at Iowa so he doesn’t have to go through the hiring process again.
I get your reasoning but hope you're wrong. Kirk owes it to himself, the program, and fans to make the best hire possible and get in the playoff

I would be perfectly happy with either of those coaches. I am surprised they are really interested in the job.

It is not that hard to understand, this signals zero change from ferentz. Also you are the one that posted the bs article, not me
Hiring an OC with 1000x the experience as BF isn't change?

Did you honestly think Iowa was going to run a totally new offense with a new OC? KF said a couple of weeks ago what his expectations are.

This entire program needs a shot of youth. We have a good start with Beth G. Now we need a regime change with the football program, except for Phil, please god let us keep Phil.
I'd honestly be happy promoting LeVar Woods to head coach after KF retires and trying to retain Parker, Bell and Betts. All of the other coordinators and position coaches can be young up and coming coaches with fire and energy

Philbin makes sense from Kirk's perspective. They have a history together. He'll fit right into what Kirk wants to do, no need for new wrinkles or philosophies. He's 62. He can stick with Kirk until Kirk retires. And when Kirk retires in 2-4 years, he'll be ready to retire as well (as well as Phil). This will it open it up for a new coach to come in with his new staff.

^^^THIS^^^
Kirk is looking for an employee,... not a potential replacement.

Hiring an OC with 1000x the experience as BF isn't change?

Did you honestly think Iowa was going to run a totally new offense with a new OC? KF said a couple of weeks ago what his expectations are.
Chryst is a much better hire IMO, along with being able to stand up to Kirk. No, I don't think Philbin has that ability.

In no universe was KF going to bring in a splash OC hire. JP is probably the very best of the realistic choices. I’ll be thrilled if it is indeed JP.
Well, apparently there is a 3rd option, I have no idea who it is, you don't either... So I'd say there is hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT