ADVERTISEMENT

A no go on Paul Chryst?

^^^THIS^^^
Kirk is looking for an employee,... not a potential replacement.
I think his legacy was Brian. Now that that is not going to work out, it is my guess a legacy is not a huge priority for him. By that, in no way do I think he would like to see the program struggle, but who that person is does not matter as much since it will not be Brian. Both guys make sense. From a continuity standpoint, Philbin makes a little more sense.

Reactions: Rifler
I would say that anyone who doesn't think Joe Philbin is a great option for OC ( same for Paul Chyrst) may be insane.
he hasn't been an oc since 2018, does not like to recruit, owes Kirk a good chunk of his career. I would say there are more than plenty of reasons not to want another sycophant or disciple as the OC. I would much rather it be Chryst given his Olines at Wisky, and head coaching experience.

It's not. But the loathing of an Iowa OC is a tired opinion. Get it?
this is not about loathing the OC, it's about not being satisfied with the hire. I haven't shit on Philbin at all, just not pleased with the direction of the offense. It's not that hard to determine, plus your leak has already been verified to be shit.

Reactions: Niko13
Regarding Barnett's future... I don't see Chryst putting up with his incompetence.

That may actually be a dealbreaker for KF?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
What do we do with Barnett if it is Philbin?

giphy.gif

Regarding Barnett's future... I don't see Chryst putting up with his incompetence.

That may actually be a dealbreaker for KF?
Maybe Barnett could learn something from Philbin. I think the roster contains enough young talent to transform the OL into a solid unit. Philbin was the line coach for the best line in the Ferentz era. I also think Kirk would trust his opinion of he recommended a change of the OL coach.

he hasn't been an oc since 2018, does not like to recruit, owes Kirk a good chunk of his career. I would say there are more than plenty of reasons not to want another sycophant or disciple as the OC. I would much rather it be Chryst given his Olines at Wisky, and head coaching experience.
Add in his QB coaching...JB isnt cutting it.

Maybe Barnett could learn something from Philbin. I think the roster contains enough young talent to transform the OL into a solid unit. Philbin was the line coach for the best line in the Ferentz era. I also think Kirk would trust his opinion of he recommended a change of the OL coach.
But what about QB's then? With Philbin and Barnett we'd have no QB's coach and two OL coaches. And don't anyone refer to Budamyer as a QB coach. Please

Reactions: HWKEYZ23
This entire program needs a shot of youth. We have a good start with Beth G. Now we need a regime change with the football program, except for Phil, please god let us keep Phil.

Explain to me why PP, who clearly lives and respects KF more than you do would stick around? What do you think he would say about a fan like you in an honest private setting ?

• Love
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Explain to me why PP, who clearly lives and respects KF more than you do would stick around? What do you think he would say about a fan like you in an honest private setting ?
I don't know that he would. I just hope that he would. I know he loves and respects KF. As a fan who thinks Iowa football should and can be better on the offensive side of the ball, I'd hope PP would agree and want the Iowa program to be as good as it can possibly be.

My question to you is: when Kirk retires why wouldn't Phil stick around, if offered? Does he have no love for the University and it's players? Is it only for KF and not any of the rest of the staff? I guess I'm trying to understand you're infinite affection for KF which is clearly above even the University judging by this post and a decent amount of your posting history. You're not alone in that either. I believe 20% of our posters are bigger KF fans than Iowa fans. I truly believe that

You should try having less mediocre expectations in life. And maybe stalk me less, that's just f*cking weird.

Always a weird comment, when a person honestly has no clue, how successful a fellow “anonymous” message board poster is?

Furthermore,….demanding success from your favorite sports team is laughable at best🥸

• Haha
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Always a weird comment, when a person honestly has no clue, how successful a fellow “anonymous” message board poster is?

Furthermore,….demanding success from your favorite sports team is laughable at best🥸
Solid point. I should have been more specific and said you should have less mediocre expectations for Iowa football.

My question to you is: when Kirk retires why wouldn't Phil stick around, if offered? Does he have no love for the University and it's players? Is it only for KF and not any of the rest of the staff? I guess I'm trying to understand you're infinite affection for KF which is clearly above even the University judging by this post and a decent amount of your posting history. You're not alone in that either. I believe 20% of our posters are bigger KF fans than Iowa fans. I truly believe that

Show me anywhere I have said I have an infinite affection for KF?! That’s the problem with you guys. You are so fixated you honestly have no clue what someone like me really says.

I have said 100 times over the years if I’ve said it once. KF is a fine coach, a top 25 coach and a terrific fit for Iowa. But I don’t want his autograph, I don’t care to meet him and he will retire soon.

I just don’t want to go backwards and that is more likely than going forwards and we’ve seen that thousands of times in college football alone.

Lastly, and this is where you guys and your lack of appreciation, really hinders you… Yes, it’s true. This offense has been miserable, but the improvements, and set up of our program in particular in talent identification and recruiting in general, has improved greatly since the 2010, 11, 12 time period. He has most definitively upped his game, and Iowa is never going to be a program that hauls four and five stars through the door on a regular basis. We are often called “developmental program” but the amount of kids that we have playing as freshman and sophomore, and our early entries into the NFL tell me that their talent identification at TE and defense is as good as it gets in college football.

You’ll miss that when it’s gone!

But it really doesn’t matter people like you label somebody like me as a homer, an apologist, or a KF lover… All it shows is you just don’t really have a clue what the hell you’re seeing & saying 🤷‍♂️

Show me anywhere I have said I have an infinite affection for KF?! That’s the problem with you guys. You are so fixated you honestly have no clue what someone like me really says.

I have said 100 times over the years if I’ve said it once. KF is a fine coach, a top 25 coach and a terrific fit for Iowa. But I don’t want his autograph, I don’t care to meet him and he will retire soon.

I just don’t want to go backwards and that is more likely than going forwards and we’ve seen that thousands of times in college football alone.

Lastly, and this is where you guys and your lack of appreciation, really hinders you… Yes, it’s true. This offense has been miserable, but the improvements, and set up of our program in particular in talent identification and recruiting in general, has improved greatly since the 2010, 11, 12 time period. He has most definitively upped his game, and Iowa is never going to be a program that hauls four and five stars through the door on a regular basis. We are often called “developmental program” but the amount of kids that we have playing as freshman and sophomore, and our early entries into the NFL tell me that their talent identification at TE and defense is as good as it gets in college football.

You’ll miss that when it’s gone!

But it really doesn’t matter people like you label somebody like me as a homer, an apologist, or a KF lover… All it shows is you just don’t really have a clue what the hell you’re seeing & saying 🤷‍♂️
I actually appreciate your optimism. I've gotten into the namecalling game and shouldn't. I think KF has done a lot for the Iowa program. My biggest issue is his overall game-calling philosophy, which he seems to have amplified a lot in recent years. He doesn't expect much in the way of yards or points, wants to keep things close, and relies overwhelmingly on the defense and special teams to step up and deliver close wins. When it comes to the offense, he seems to coach scared and prioritizes ball security and field position over gaining yards, getting first downs, and putting points on the board. Some may appreciate that and point to 9- and 10-win seasons. So be it. I don't like it, and think it's a system that will never allow the program to move up and actually compete with the top programs in the B1G.

I actually appreciate your optimism. I've gotten into the namecalling game and shouldn't. I think KF has done a lot for the Iowa program. My biggest issue is his overall game-calling philosophy, which he seems to have amplified a lot in recent years. He doesn't expect much in the way of yards or points, wants to keep things close, and relies overwhelmingly on the defense and special teams to step up and deliver close wins. When it comes to the offense, he seems to coach scared and prioritizes ball security and field position over gaining yards, getting first downs, and putting points on the board. Some may appreciate that and point to 9- and 10-win seasons. So be it. I don't like it, and think it's a system that will never allow the program to move up and actually compete with the top programs in the B1G.

If only everyone could articulate their frustrations that way. I even agree somewhat. I’m not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Reactions: kceasthawk
It is not that hard to understand, this signals zero change from ferentz. Also you are the one that posted the bs article, not me
Sounds like a you problem if you were expecting change from Ferentz after 25 years lol.

Sounds like a you problem if you were expecting change from Ferentz after 25 years lol.
Why? he has changed in the past. Does last year grabbing a number of players out of the portal mean nothing? Getting on board with NIL?

Also need to be realistic in terms of resources of teams that are at the top. We are starting out with two strikes with not much room for error.

While I like winning above all, it's too hard to win 10-7 games on a regular basis. They actually did remarkably well this year, but is not sustainable. I don't think Kirk liked it either and knows it's not sustainable, his comments about winning percentage aside. With some exceptions, the past 2+ years Iowa has not played "complementary" football. There is more than one reason for that. I like complementary football when it can result in 24-6 or 27-10 scores (with those scores coming from the offense). But despite the 28 wins in 3 seasons, this has generally not been complementary football. Change was needed. Whoever replaces Brian has work to do, but I think there are enough players on offense next fall that they can get back to true complementary football. Personally, I don't need 42-35 games to keep me interested.

What if an early conversation with Chryst was framing up the position as a OC position and NO guarantee this would lead to a HC role. Basically this was a 3-5 year gig.
Who pulled the plug….Chryst or Iowa or mutual.

You should try having less mediocre expectations in life. And maybe stalk me less, that's just f*cking weird.
If I had less mediocre expectations I’d probably find myself kissing cyclone fans asses and badmouthing their rival (who’s supposedly my team), just so I can fit in on their online sports message board.

Sound familiar?

But yeah, my expectations and being happy that Iowa is a 9 win team under Kirk is what’s holding the program back from greatness. We’d be battling Bama and Michigan for titles in no time if I just expected more.

What a dumbass.

Reactions: cmhawks99
What if an early conversation with Chryst was framing up the position as a OC position and NO guarantee this would lead to a HC role. Basically this was a 3-5 year gig.
Who pulled the plug….Chryst or Iowa or mutual.
Paul could be in a situation where a 5 year OC gig is getting him right into the retirement window too. He has 3 kids and would probably have grandkids by then if not already.

Reactions: Packer54
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT