ADVERTISEMENT

Another Monday with excellent economic news for Americans!

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
These Bidenomics are really humming!

From noted liberal rag The Wall Street Journal:

Pay Raises Are Finally Beating Inflation After Two Years of Falling Behind​

Wages rise more than 4% while consumer prices increase 3%​

Americans’ growing paychecks surpassed inflation for the first time in two years, providing some financial relief to workers, while complicating the Federal Reserve’s efforts to tame price increases.

Inflation-adjusted average hourly wages rose 1.2% in June from a year earlier, according to the Labor Department. That marked the second straight month of seasonally adjusted gains after two years when workers’ historically elevated raises were erased by price increases.

If the trend persists, it gives Americans leeway to propel the economy through increased spending, which could help the U.S. skirt a recession. Since estimates earlier this year, economists surveyed by The Wall Street Journal have lowered the probability a recession will start in the next 12 months.

Lower gasoline prices brighten consumers’ moods​

Not adjusting for inflation, private-sector workers’ hourly wages were up more than 4% in June from a year earlier. Those gains have eased over the past year, but remain enough to outpace inflation this summer. Overall consumer prices in June rose 3% from a year earlier, down sharply from a four-decade high a year prior.

In addition to enjoying solid wage growth, Americans are taking comfort in slower price increases for everyday items—such as gasoline and groceries—that have the biggest influence on their perception of inflation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Consumer confidence in June reached its highest level since January 2022, the Conference Board said. Americans’ assessment of current economic conditions and their outlook for the future improved. Americans are nonetheless anticipating a recession within the next year, the survey found. That is likely because they are aware of the Fed’s ongoing effort to fight inflation and how that might trigger a broad economic slowdown, said Conference Board Chief Economist Dana Peterson.

The Fed has lifted its benchmark interest rate 10 times since March 2022, to a range of 5% to 5.25%, and is on track to do so again later this month. Those interest-rate hikes have contributed to a cooling in the U.S. economy, but the labor market and wage growth remain on solid footing.

Elevated raises at odds with Fed’s goal​

Raises for lower-income workers were particularly strong in early 2023. Restaurants, hotels and similar businesses hired at a brisk pace to cater to customers eager for services that were limited initially in the Covid-19 pandemic. While leisure and hospitality employment gains have slowed in recent months, workers in the industry saw their hourly pay rise faster than overall wage growth and inflation.

Wages for manufacturing and business-services workers are also outpacing inflation. Pay gains have been narrower in the tech-heavy information sector, where several large companies have cut staff.

Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell signaled wage growth is still too strong for the central bank’s comfort in its inflation-fighting campaign. He said in June that wage gains had eased, but “quite gradually.” Pay raises allow consumers to purchase more expensive goods and services, which in turn supports elevated inflation.

“It’s great to see wage increases, particularly for people at the lower end of the income spectrum,” Powell said. “But we want that as part of the process of getting inflation back down to 2%, which benefits everyone.”

A tight labor market, in which job openings exceed the number of unemployed people looking for work, is a factor propelling sustained wage growth, said Bob Schwartz, a senior economist at Oxford Economics. Workers in recent years had more power to demand raises, but there are signs that trend is cooling.

“As inflation comes down, and that’s already happening, wage demands will also abate,” Schwartz said. “You’ll see the two going together.”

61JO0nfc5EL.jpg

I see the PR machine is in overdrive but I'm more in tune with what my eyes are actually seeing. Visits to the grocery store for the common American continue to be brutal.
You should notify the Wall Street Journal that your anecdotal data on the US economy is far superior to their financial reporters' research and reporting.

I'll give credit where credit is due, on the surface this appears to be decent economic news. It doesn't "feel" like inflation has cooled when I go grocery shopping, but I haven't had any real sticker shock recently either, maybe I've just become numb to it...

But if these numbers are legit, then let's see if this becomes a month over month consistent trend.

Food and energy prices are lagging but, overall, heading in the right direction.

107255630-1686659651155-Xv4VK-u-s-consumer-price-index.png

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee
You should notify the Wall Street Journal that your anecdotal data on the US economy is far superior to their financial reporters' research and reporting.
Good to hear there is improvement occurring but we have a long way to go so let’s not wave the victory flag just yet……

mission-accomplished.gif

I’d just like to announce that I was able to buy a dozen eggs last week without going broke. 😬
Seriously though inflation has cooled a bit.
I’m glad something has this summer.
Eggs were very pricey for many months, I think I paid almost $5 for a dozen last winter. However, a relatively small part of those soaring prices was due to inflation. A wide-spread and massive bird flu was the problem. We’ve mostly recovered- I paid $1.09 this past weekend.

Food and energy prices are lagging but, overall, heading in the right direction.

107255630-1686659651155-Xv4VK-u-s-consumer-price-index.png
Actually, that shows that food and energy are leading the fall in inflation. The overall inflation rate is down 1.3% more than inflation with those numbers removed.

I’m sure some of the usual suspects will be along shortly to educate us on how these are bad things

So we're supposed to celebrate that after two really bad years under Biden, things are finally starting to turn around? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy when things are getting better, but who made things bad in the first place?

Student loan payments are set to begin in October. That’s $x of what was consumer spending that’s going to evaporate from 30 some odd million households. Increased home values are also going to see significant increase in property tax burdens in most states. And energy and food increases just will continue to hit everyone.

That’s not a knock on Biden but those are GOP planted land mines that will dampen the economy as a whole in the coming months.

So we're supposed to celebrate that after two really bad years under Biden, things are finally starting to turn around? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy when things are getting better, but who made things bad in the first place?
The guy who caused the same problems all over the world. Who might that be? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I don’t know why the homo torbee is bragging about the economy. As if he’s contributed anything positive to the economy or society. Other than being a useless butt pirate.

• Haha
Reactions: KFsdisciple
3% is great. 3% on top of 9% on top of 9% is not that great. But, hey, we got 1% back by having wages grow by 4%. Better than nothing I guess.
And the latter condition you described is normal. Sure we’d love 7% wage increases and 0% inflation but that’s not even technically feasible in a healthy market economy.

Year on year inflation couldn't continue going up by 7-11% every month forever...

Must mean wages are only about 7% behind inflation since Biden took office now?

Bidenomics, lol. Its the art of making the numbers say what you want even when they don't...

I see the PR machine is in overdrive but I'm more in tune with what my eyes are actually seeing. Visits to the grocery store for the common American continue to be brutal.
Yeah, all those greedy companies that exploited a pandemic to make record profits by jacking up prices more than they needed to are scum of the earth but at least that's cooling off a tad. What can ya do?

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT