ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Finals(and 3rd/5th) discussion

They all did have a legit issue, did you watch the matches? Kemerer is wrestling one-armed, and Eierman and Cass both have huge leg braces and could barely put any weight on that leg

I would like to see them at least make a go of it, but none of us are medical training staff. Not sure what the fix is, but guarantee it will be discussed in the off season

Reactions: Jrjt0518
I won’t buy into the injures we’re too much to wrestle these matches. Every one of us would be calling out psu if they did it
Eierman And Kem both re-injured themselves on Saturday. Seems clear they both probably shouldn’t go today. Drake came in a 6th seed and was wrestling for 7th. Is an extra match when you’ve already wrestled below your seed worth it on a damaged shoulder? Not sure. Cass is a head scratcher. He wrestled last night with some brand new leg gear. Maybe it tightened up on him overnight, or they found out what they were dealing with a littler better. I think all were legit injuries. IMHO

I won’t buy into the injures we’re too much to wrestle these matches. Every one of us would be calling out psu if they did it
They have done it. I don't like it either, but every sport has shifted to the last tournament is the only thing that matters. That and getting your money.

Gomez looks so much better since being at Wisconsin. Can MitchL or someone on here tell me where he used to be and why he wasnt this good there?
There's one small detail to all this... Bono was one of the few people that didn't care about the issues with Gomez and selfishly let him wrestle.

Maybe we'll revisit this when Gomez' career is completed and see if it worked out.

As much as I despise Dresser and Clone fans, I'm not going to rag on Orange over this one.

There's one small detail to all this... Bono was one of the few people that didn't care about the issues with Gomez and selfishly let him wrestle.

Maybe we'll revisit this when Gomez' career is completed and see if it worked out.

As much as I despise Dresser and Clone fans, I'm not going to rag on Orange over this one.
Gomez did have issue at isu but the fact that he couldn’t beat Ian Parker. Helped him out the door!!! He did reinvent himself at Wisconsin tho

I would like to see them at least make a go of it, but none of us are medical training staff. Not sure what the fix is, but guarantee it will be discussed in the off season
To reinjury their self b4 nationals? Nationals is more important than b10’s

Reactions: Iron Doc
Various opinions have been presented as to whether we should have had numerous medical forfeits.
The bottom line is only IDIOT coaches would have sent our LEGITIMATELY injured wrestlers out there when they had already qualified! Risk further aggravation of injuries FOR WHAT????
The Twins are NOT idiots.

They all did have a legit issue, did you watch the matches? Kemerer is wrestling one-armed, and Eierman and Cass both have huge leg braces and could barely put any weight on that leg
Everybody has something going on by the end of the season. I agree with @Muscles1989. If Penn State had 4 MFFs in a day, we would be railing Cael. Kemerer I can see as he’s been on a thread for weeks. It’s wrestling not tennis.

Eierman And Kem both re-injured themselves on Saturday. Seems clear they both probably shouldn’t go today. Drake came in a 6th seed and was wrestling for 7th. Is an extra match when you’ve already wrestled below your seed worth it on a damaged shoulder? Not sure. Cass is a head scratcher. He wrestled last night with some brand new leg gear. Maybe it tightened up on him overnight, or they found out what they were dealing with a littler better. I think all were legit injuries. IMHO
Cass is likely the only one you could really question, IMO. But he did obviously have a knee wrap for a reason. They looked at the odds and said we'll wait and hope he gets another shot at Gable. All of our guys likely go if it's NCAA's, but even then it's not guaranteed. We've still got a shot to win NCAA'S. Coaches are looking at Big Picture.

We ain't getting healthy in 2 weeks. Do the best you can and let the chips fall where they may.

I get that from a fan standpoint but I’d rather them rest up and not risk having to MFF out of NCAA’s
Then they just need to cancel the conference tournaments. In reality they are meaningless.
The only thing that matters is the NCAA.
I've never seen anything like this, it's a trend that is exploding in duals too.
I don't even know how many matches in this tourney were canceled but I do know I've never witnessed it before.
It's going to hurt the sport big time.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
As an Iowa fan I just want our guys healthy for nationals. As a wrestling fan there needs to be a penalty for MFF. What an ugly look for a sport struggling to expand. Today made us look weak compared to Michigan and PSU.
If you’re hurt you’re hurt. No reason to risk further injury for nothing more than the fan’s viewing happiness. Pain is one thing - injury is quite another.

Reactions: jthawk and Iron Doc
Everybody has something going on by the end of the season. I agree with @Muscles1989. If Penn State had 4 MFFs in a day, we would be railing Cael. Kemerer I can see as he’s been on a thread for weeks. It’s wrestling not tennis.
It wasn't just us though, this was across the board. It was ridiculous.

It's not just us, it's across the board.
Iowa is the only team that did it in the finals. Very bad look. If you want better television coverage for wrestling, this crap cannot happen. I know the Brands brothers are big for promoting the sport, but today was shameful. You cannot claim excuses are for wussies and then pull off what Iowa did tonight.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I hear all the time I’m a long time Hawkeye fan!! You are a Hawkeye fan or not no in betweens. If you don’t like the decisions the coaches make or the idea that the coaches have for the wrestlers mff wise. The decisions were made by the wrestle and the coaches. A duck picture. Really??? Your not a hawk fan. Hope if it was your kid you would understand. It’s b/s

Nobody really cares about big ten championships they certainly don't care about 3rd 5th or 7th. The big tens both the Duals and especially the tournament are a meat grinder compared to the other conferences. The goal of the tournament should be to make the nccas suffer as little injury as possible and don't destroy your seed in that order imo.

As an Iowa fan I just want our guys healthy for nationals. As a wrestling fan there needs to be a penalty for MFF. What an ugly look for a sport struggling to expand. Today made us look weak compared to Michigan and PSU.
If you are suggesting all of our shoulder and knee wraps make us look weak, then sure, we look weak. Unless we're going to hire a witch doctor I don't think there's a cure for shit luck.

This Iowa Team healthy still wins the NCAA Tournament without Spencer Lee, IMO. But we're not going to be healthy, and I won't count them out until the math says we're done.

Random thought to pile on in here: Warner is probably the most overrated wrestler in Iowa history IMO.

If I were to guess I would say 15-20% of the wrestlers in this tournament were MFF's at some point.

Nobody really cares about big ten championships they certainly don't care about 3rd 5th or 7th. The big tens both the Duals and especially the tournament are a meat grinder compared to the other conferences. The goal of the tournament should be to make the nccas suffer as little injury as possible and don't destroy your seed in that order imo.
If MFF becomes the norm in the Big Ten tournament for wrestlers who are still healthy enough to wrestle in the National tournament, then there needs to be a punishment for MFF when seeding for national. If the wrestlers don't think it means anything, why should the BIg Ten Network cover it?

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN
ADVERTISEMENT