ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Carton Could Still Be a Hawk

If I were Fran I would talk to him if he expressed interest, but I wouldn't initiate contact,.. and if it looked even remotely possible there would be no offer without a team meeting,.. Won't happen anyway.

If I were Fran I would talk to him if he expressed interest, but I wouldn't initiate contact,.. and if it looked even remotely possible there would be no offer without a team meeting,.. Won't happen anyway.

Exactly what I was just going to post.

I think by looking at his top 3, not really having a ton of love for Iowa, Hawks being pretty full at guard (although we don't have a Carton), the rumor that he didn't like to play with Pat, Fran has shown a lot of loyalty to guys who committed here, and we have ZERO scholarships to give.... I would be surprised if he came to Iowa.

Do not get me wrong, maybe Fran says with a talent like DJ's he will play right away and a ton of minutes. He is too good to keep off the floor and let the past be in the past. I would love to see him end up at Iowa.

With all that being said, I would guess a new top 5 of:
1- Iowa St.
2- Illinois
3- UNI
4- Indiana
5- Nebraska

No inside knowledge on anything. Just looking at some good fits for him. Hope he gets back to playing, he is really good.
He won't be going to ISU. I see him staying in the Big 10.

I'm not an ISU fan by any means, but I find it comical that people here continue to rag on their program. For shits sake they are going to have a top 10 pick this year. I just can't follow why many are begging for trolls to show up.

Well when their fans saying "they'll be just fine" even with mass exodus of players (2 out of 8 recruits left from last 2 classes) because they will have a recruiting class with 2 top 150 players yeah I'm going to call them out. Especially coming after a year where they just lost 20 games. Bragging about recruiting classes to assume success in the win/loss column reminds me of another fan base in football who has not done well.

Congrats they have a lottery pick who won zero NCAA tourney games in his 2 years and was on a 9th place team in the big 12 this year. Georgia will have a top 5 pick this year too with Anthony Edwards but they still sucked.

In my opinion, IF Carton became a Hawk, he takes a ton of playing time away from Toussaint (like, damn near all of it)... furthermore IF Bohannon comes back as we all think he will, that would reduce Connor’s PT by a lot... I’m not sure what this could mean for team chemistry, but I’d see Toussaint entering the portal ASAP.

Well when their fans saying "they'll be just fine" even with mass exodus of players (2 out of 8 recruits left from last 2 classes) because they will have a recruiting class with 2 top 150 players yeah I'm going to call them out. Especially coming after a year where they just lost 20 games. Bragging about recruiting classes to assume success in the win/loss column reminds me of another fan base in football who has not done well.

Congrats they have a lottery pick who won zero NCAA tourney games in his 2 years and was on a 9th place team in the big 12 this year. Georgia will have a top 5 pick this year too with Anthony Edwards but they still sucked.
That's fine, but it's precisely why Xavier Foster isn't a hawk. With that said, I do still think Bowen Born was the best player of this years class.

If he is truly dealing with mental health issues and wants to be closer to home, Nebraska makes no sense. It's certainly possible he does a Uthoff. This is very interesting.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
That's fine, but it's precisely why Xavier Foster isn't a hawk. With that said, I do still think Bowen Born was the best player of this years class.

That’s also fine. I wouldn’t trade positions with ISU with or without Xavier Foster. They can have all that NBA prospect attention at ISU. Clearly that’s not translating to the college game.

That’s also fine. I wouldn’t trade positions with ISU with or without Xavier Foster. They can have all that NBA prospect attention at ISU. Clearly that’s not translating to the college game.
I don't think I ever made such a statement. The whole point is to stop incessantly shitting on every other program inviting trolls over here.

In my opinion, IF Carton became a Hawk, he takes a ton of playing time away from Toussaint (like, damn near all of it)... furthermore IF Bohannon comes back as we all think he will, that would reduce Connor’s PT by a lot... I’m not sure what this could mean for team chemistry, but I’d see Toussaint entering the portal ASAP.
Agree. I really don't read recruiting threads anymore, too busy being a dick in HROT, and I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but my first thought is whether Carton has relationships forged with Iowa guys through high school/AAU. Given Iowa apparently wasn't in his top three, my suspicion is that none of the Iowa guys have a close relationship with Carton. Which makes your chemistry angle kind of concerning to me. This is the first year in forever that I didn't make a single game—had saved up for the NCAAs (sad face)—but watching throughout the year the thing that excited me most about not just this year but ensuing years is the chemistry, again, at least as it appears on TV. Wait, I was at the game in the Palestra. Forgot for a moment because I was thinking I hadn't been to Iowa City all winter.

Toussaint, to me, is the Bob Sanders of Iowa Basketball. His fearlessness and brashness remind me of the effect Bob had on pushing Iowa Football to a new level. I want three more years of Joe T.

Got that sick feeling Freddy is going to put the full court press on and he’ll be a corn husker by the end of the month.

Freddy scares me more than ISU. If we could land him that would be amazing and we would finally have a back court to match our front court.

And what about Ulis? If he's anywhere near as good as his brother then he's a diamond in the rough. I'd agree on the team chemistry as well. This team seems to have it going on right now, not sure I'd mess with that.....

And what about Ulis? If he's anywhere near as good as his brother then he's a diamond in the rough. I'd agree on the team chemistry as well. This team seems to have it going on right now, not sure I'd mess with that.....

well I know it is a difficult decision regardless of what happens but I think PHYSICALLY Carton is better than both of them. Mentally, if he’s good to go, he’d be my top PG choice.

I don't think I ever made such a statement. The whole point is to stop incessantly shitting on every other program inviting trolls over here.

So I understand this, saying only nice things about ISU or not mentioning them at all will keep their trolls away? I’m guessing you may be new here.

I don’t think anyone is inviting their filth over here voluntarily or involuntarily. They’ll show up soon enough regardless to tell us how good Campbell will have their squad. (Probably already are, I haven’t been on the FB board lately). If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years is that they’re a tired bunch. They’ll find their way to interject ISU nonsense into about any subject whether there’s an ISU mention or not. DJ Carton’s transfer is certainty relevant to ISU, Iowa, UNI, and the B1G so it’s not like ISU being brought up in discussion is out of left field.

Assuming Garza comes back and JBO stays, we are at 14 guys with 13 scholarships. We'd need two guys to leave or ask one of Fan's kids to walk on for Carton.

Not sure if we have any guys departing and I'd hate to speculate but we aren't in a great position for a transfer.

Reactions: DewHawk
Lots of fans on here who badmouthed the crap out of Carton. Now you want him? Lol

From day one, it was called that he would end up at Iowa after his medical leave. Conspiracy theorists think Carton was working towards immediate eligibility. Hope the kid gets the help he needs before playing ball again.

who was badmouthing him? Of course we wanted a kid of his caliber.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
So I understand this, saying only nice things about ISU or not mentioning them at all will keep their trolls away? I’m guessing you may be new here.

I don’t think anyone is inviting their filth over here voluntarily or involuntarily. They’ll show up soon enough regardless to tell us how good Campbell will have their squad. (Probably already are, I haven’t been on the FB board lately). If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years is that they’re a tired bunch. They’ll find their way to interject ISU nonsense into about any subject whether there’s an ISU mention or not. DJ Carton’s transfer is certainty relevant to ISU, Iowa, UNI, and the B1G so it’s not like ISU being brought up in discussion is out of left field.
Na, not new here. I just like to talk about relevant topics, and keep it there if possible rather than letting it go to shit like it does on the football board with NU fans and the wrestling board like it does with PSU.

Because the truth has not come out as I stated earlier....during the season.....zero chance hes a Hawk....zero

Reactions: iahawks10
Best case would be Carton coming back and taking a redshirt year. Give him a year closer to home to adjust and no need to disrupt chemistry.

It would still be a loaded back court the following year with CJ, Joe T, Perkins, Ulis, and Carton. With a year to play together (even with redshirts) the cream will rise to the top and guys will be able to see projected minutes. If someone is worried about playing time and chooses to leave we’d still be in great shape.

Conner and Joe W continue to see time at the 3 and 4 with the Murray’s backing them up knowing the system and older then most freshman. Nunge and the Big O man the middle.

Frankly we don’t need Carton, but he’s a talent that would be hard to turn down. The future looks bright this coming year and the next.

Best case would be Carton coming back and taking a redshirt year. Give him a year closer to home to adjust and no need to disrupt chemistry.

Has the 'sit out a year' rule changed? He's going red shirt no matter where he transfers, right?

DJ and Joe T would be quite a show on the floor together. Fran could figure out the minutes in a four guard offense. Doubt it happens, but it would be fun.

Wasn’t the NCAA going to let players be immediately eligible to play the first time they transfer to clean up how some were declared immediately eligible, while others made to sit a year starting next season?

The only way it works for carton to come to Iowa is if he sits a year, but Only if both Joe T & Ulis are on board. If we are short on scholarships he pays his own way the first year. Then by the time he is eligible to play as a red shirt sophomore on scholarship giving time for others to have graduated like bohannon or joe w to pursue his profession career a year early if he chooses. If not by then joe w & Connor would be seniors, CJF a junior, Joe T a junior leaving Carton in good position for major minutes his junior & senior seasons. Feel Ulis is every bit as talented as Carton & Fran would stay loyal to those loyal to the hawks playing Ulis over Carton when situations dictate playing one or the other, but not both.

Personally, I am more excited about the major upgrade of D1 talent on practice team in waiting with the possibility of the Murray Twins, Ulis or Perkins & the British Big Man (if pemsel stays, which I believe he will) taking a red shirt... add in Carton to help team in practice to prepare for opponents....that alone should help with team improvement.

We made his top 5 and his top three are no closer to home than osu. Not saying he transfers to Iowa city, but there was interest at one point.

Gotcha, I didn't realize we were in his top 5 previously. I say if he's interested in coming to iowa they need to do whatever they can to get him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT