ADVERTISEMENT

Fran wants to play ALL of the games, even it it means moving dates of B1G Tourn & NCAA Tourn.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
April 5 is the scheduled National Championship date. The NBA Draft is not until June. Why the rush to get to the season's end??

I agree with Fran. Lets get ALL of the games in, which means all 27 regular season, all of the B1G Tournament, and all of the NCAA Tournament games.

And lets make Selection Sunday flexible (March 14 is when it is supposed to happen).

Meanwhile, there are reports that it's possible the MSU make up game could now get scheduled for Jan. 25 or 26, if the Spartans can get back on the court soon. Leistikow reported that the league needs to wait for the Spartans to give the "all-clear" and will look to play the game sooner rather than later.

Iowa's 13 Remaining Regular Season Games:
Jan 21 vs Indiana
Jan 29 at Illinois
Feb 4 vs Ohio State
Feb 7 at Indiana
Feb 10 vs Rutgers
Feb 13 at Michigan State
Feb 18 at Wisconsin
Feb 21 vs Penn State
Feb 28 at Ohio State
March 4 at Michigan
March 7 vs Wisconsin

vs Michigan State (Jan 14 game POSTPONED due to MSU covid issues)
vs Nebraska (Jan 24 game POSTPONED due to Nebby covid issues)

Watch:

Just cancel the BTT make up games and go to the dance somewhat fresh.

I don't think they will give up on the BTT yet. Conceivable a Big 10 team could need a win or 2 there to get in, plus the TV money obviously.

As to the NCAA tournament, they may need to delay it's start by 1 week to ensure that everyone goes in with no COVID issues. But much still unknown obviously.

Delaying the start of the NCAA tournament is a good idea,.. This would allow all conferences to wrap up their regular season and tournament play prior to start of what could be tagged April Madness...
I can't think of any reasons against this. There isn't a network of host cities this time. The game locations and logistics still aren't even sorted out. There aren't really competing events TV wise in April. (Masters maybe?). It's the major event for the time of year, they'll get their viewership regardless. I don't get why some buffer wasnt included for inevitable makeup games.

Delaying the start of the NCAA tournament is a good idea,.. This would allow all conferences to wrap up their regular season and tournament play prior to start of what could be tagged April Madness...

I agree with this completely and see no reason not to do it but it needs to be renamed April Anxiety Attack. Just a few steps below Madness 🤪 .

Last edited:

I'm not sure that having a few weeks off is a good thing for a deep team playing well. I think that it actually hurts in some respects. I recall this being a concern before the Big 10 had a tournament and other teams came in fresh off of theirs. The belief was that all that time off put Big 10 teams at a disadvantage during the first few rounds of the tournament.

This....it's not a money maker this year anyway. No fans, equal no ticket, hotel, food, or other money making endeavors. Play the make up games during the week that the BTT tournament was to be scheduled, it's a no brainer....

Reactions: ajdl
I can't think of any reasons against this. There isn't a network of host cities this time. The game locations and logistics still aren't even sorted out. There aren't really competing events TV wise in April. (Masters maybe?). It's the major event for the time of year, they'll get their viewership regardless. I don't get why some buffer wasnt included for inevitable makeup games.
Pacers schedule needing to be shuffled is the major logistics issue. The rest of the PGA Tour could be shuffled around relatively easy to accomodate a rescheduling of the Masters. They wouldn't be able to fly by the seat of their pants, though. A decision on this would have to be made fairly soon.

There’s a lot of bad b-ball teams on that list.

Take off Drake & Oregon & it’s all garbage teams.
yep; can't argue w/ that

it will be interesting to see if anything changes with the conference & NCAA calendars so that teams can get their regular season & conference tournament games in

right now, as it stands, Sunday Sunday March 14 would be:
* the B1G Tournament Championship game
* Selection Sunday

so now maybe we play Illini 1/24 or 1/25?

Great thought.

And what about playing Michigan in Iowa City on Jan 25 or 26?

I mean, look at the same gap in the Illini's, Michigan's & Iowa's schedule where things line up nicely:

The Illini's schedule
Jan 19 vs PSU
..............................Jan 23 at MSU PPD
Jan 29 vs Iowa

Iowa's Schedule:
Jan 21 vs Indiana
Jan 29 at Illinois

Michigan's schedule:
Jan 19 vs MD
Jan 22 at Purdue
Jan 30 vs IU

Reactions: SotaHawk87
This is a bad idea. Keep things where they are and make up games where possible.

The tv money from the tournaments are necessary. A game against nebraska isn't.

Pacers schedule needing to be shuffled is the major logistics issue. The rest of the PGA Tour could be shuffled around relatively easy to accomodate a rescheduling of the Masters. They wouldn't be able to fly by the seat of their pants, though. A decision on this would have to be made fairly soon.
Actually I looked it up out of curiosity. So pushing back 1 week would overlap the Masters. However, that would just be the final four games. Which in my opinion would be awesome. Masters on Saturday afternoon, followed by prime time Final Four games. Then final round Sunday and championship game Monday. Epic sports weekend, and can you imagine if the Hawks were a part of it??

The pacers schedule does matter, but how big of a deal is it to flip an arena for a college game right now without fans? Seems there should be a way to accommodate a couple games during this.

This....it's not a money maker this year anyway. No fans, equal no ticket, hotel, food, or other money making endeavors. Play the make up games during the week that the BTT tournament was to be scheduled, it's a no brainer....

Isn't it still (and maybe more-so this year) a big television revenue generator?

Great thought.

And what about playing Michigan in Iowa City on Jan 25 or 26?

I mean, look at the same gap in the Illini's, Michigan's & Iowa's schedule where things line up nicely:

The Illini's schedule
Jan 19 vs PSU
Jan 29 vs Iowa

Iowa's Schedule:
Jan 21 vs Indiana
Jan 29 at Illinois

Michigan's schedule:
Jan 19 vs MD
Jan 22 at Purdue
Jan 30 vs IU

Or bring Michigan to Iowa City on about the 25th.......

The Big12 has a buffer...

This is a bad idea. Keep things where they are and make up games where possible. The tv money from the tournaments are necessary. A game against nebraska isn't.

Both are important,.. College basketball should do what's best for the participating conferences and the game of basketball, The media and the accompanying TV money will fall into line...

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
MSU most likely will not make-up game with Iowa in January. 3 more players just tested positive.

Any updates on us finding a game for this weekend (or Monday)?
nothing so far

i am not confident the B!G is flexible & creative enough to make an Iowa/Michigan game happen

I mean, if we posters can see that Jan 25 or 26 works for a game in Iowa City, why can't they?

Iowa's Schedule:
Jan 21 vs Indiana
Jan 29 at Illinois

Michigan's schedule:
Jan 19 vs MD
Jan 22 at Purdue
Jan 30 vs IU

How badly does it suck that we've had to cancel two HOME games against conference bottom feeders? What if those are the deciding factor to us NOT winning the B1G Conference title?
It would be the most Iowa Basketball thing ever.

If it ends up that teams play an unequal amount of games (almost a given at this point) then the standings should be based on the number of losses (edit winning percentage might be better)and not wins...

Last edited:
Scott has a good idea here but I am not sure if that helps in rescheduling the MSU and Nebby games (how much longer are they on pause??). I don't have much faith in the B1G but I hope they get this figured out.

The Illini's schedule
Jan 19 vs PSU
Jan 29 vs Iowa

Iowa's Schedule:
Jan 21 vs Indiana
Jan 29 at Illinois

Why would Michigan agree to playing a game in Iowa City?,... I don't see it.

edit: OK, you must be referring to Michigan State..

Because that would equal out the schedule with both schools....it’s also a chance to prove themselves on the road against top level competition....I don’t think either school is afraid to do that.

So....do u think limited fans for March Madness beyond just parents and family? I swear other conferences already do this. Would be nice to have a little crowd noise

Reports are that Brad Underwood is not expecting any movement from the league to slide in a game, presumably before Iowa.

The Illini instead are aggressively trying to find a nonconference opponent who will meet their testing protocols.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT