ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to the B1G

I would have preferred Texas or Alabama, but FSU is still good

tenor.gif

I don't think having an odd number is a big deal for scheduling purposes, as we had 11 for years after PSU joined. But the travel considerations are real, although they could probably swing it for a year or two until the rest of the dominos fall.
It's mathematically impossible for an odd number of teams to play a schedule in which all teams have nine games. One team would need to play eight or ten.

This is disingenuous, and you all know it.
How so? FAULTY insinuated FSU wouldn't do as well in the B1G as the ACC. I'll give you the numbers are skewed based on the fact MD was in the ACC. Aside from that, it's a pretty factual statement.
Better throw in the disclaimer; yes, FSU is better than Iowa.
Why? The two teams have never played. No idea who would be better and it would change from year-to-year regardless.

You submit sumbitches better have some gas station pizza at the first tailgate I crash when we come show you how to play offense.
I will bring the Natty Ice.
I don't live in Iowa anymore but I can stop over there first and grab some gas station pizza.
deal-dave-chappelle.gif

FSU: We would like to join your conference.

B1G: Go get Notre Dame to come with. Give us a call when you make that happen.
Once again...and I have no dawg in this hunt...the B1G is really not that dominant. FSU has beaten Ohio State three times against no losses with a combined score of 101 - 58. The closest game was a nine-point FSU win. They're 2 - 1 against Michigan with a 2-point loss in Ann Arbor followed by a 20-point blowout six years later on the same field and a 1-point win in the Orange Bowl. All-time versus the B1G (minus Maryland) they're 15-5-1 near as I can tell. You don't want to include Maryland - it would be embarrassing.

Not a knock on the B1G - again - but in the football world there really is a P1 - the SEC - with the B1G a distant second and the B1G is really a B2+1G.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
What am I missing here, Florida State is butthurt that it got left out of the playoff so it decides that it's going to the B1G? It doesn't work like that, the B1G doesn't extend invites to schools that are butthurt that it can't get into the playoff in the conference it's in

What am I missing here, Florida State is butthurt that it got left out of the playoff so it decides that it's going to the B1G? It doesn't work like that, the B1G doesn't extend invites to schools that are butthurt that it can't get into the playoff in the conference it's in
Correct, it doesn't work like that.

That's not what is happening.

Correct, it doesn't work like that.

That's not what is happening.

That is exactly what is happening. If the B1G was interested in Florida State, it wouldn't need a decision on the 2023 playoff invitations to make it happen. But, here we are. Florida State wants to use the B1G as a conduit to a playoff invite in the future

Florida State has no leverage right now unless it can somehow demonstrate that it is a net positive for the B1G.

How so? FAULTY insinuated FSU wouldn't do as well in the B1G as the ACC. I'll give you the numbers are skewed based on the fact MD was in the ACC. Aside from that, it's a pretty factual statement.

Why? The two teams have never played. No idea who would be better and it would change from year-to-year regardless.
And FSU never played Nebraska when they were in the Big 10.

FSU is 2-1 against the Big Ten THIS CENTURY. Which is almost 1/4 done. 6 of the 10 times FSU has played a Big Ten team were in the 80’s.

You’re not one of the FSU fans on this board who uses the W/L record to say that FSU would dominate the B1G, so it’s unfortunate that your post ended up the one being quoted.

That is exactly what is happening. If the B1G was interested in Florida State, it wouldn't need a decision on the 2023 playoff invitations to make it happen. But, here we are. Florida State wants to use the B1G as a conduit to a playoff invite in the future

Florida State has no leverage right now unless it can somehow demonstrate that it is a net positive for the B1G.
These discussions were being had during the summer. The ACC TV deal has been the issue, not conference desire (at least from what I'm hearing). The SEC doesn't need the Florida State region or TV eyeballs. Conversely, the B1G could benefit from those eyeballs. FSU brings viewership and doesn't hurt the academics like a Nebraska.

And FSU never played Nebraska when they were in the Big 10.

FSU is 2-1 against the Big Ten THIS CENTURY. Which is almost 1/4 done. 6 of the 10 times FSU has played a Big Ten team were in the 80’s.

You’re not one of the FSU fans on this board who uses the W/L record to say that FSU would dominate the B1G, so it’s unfortunate that your post ended up the one being quoted.
I honestly don't like to live in hypotheticals. My response was mostly to combat the perception that the B1G is just better than FSU and that we somehow can't play in the cold. Maybe it's true. Maybe it's not. Playing the games is the only way to know for certain. This is another reason I do miss the old bowl season. It was the best opportunity to see how a given team could compete against a non-regular opponent from a different confernce.

Take FSU this year. #5 vs #6 UGA should be HUGE! However, it's going to be a snoozer because both teams will be absent the majority of the players that made up the team that got them there. It's pretty sad.

Personally, I'd love to see us play OSU, Iowa, Mich, etc. as opposed to Wake, Duke, and Virginia.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu1jreed
Exactly, and FSU is next if they join the Big Ten.
I don't know why that is the assumption. What makes Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Wisconsin, etc. so much more impressive than NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, Pitt, etc.? The B1G is OSU & Mich followed by Penn and Iowa much in the same way the ACC is Clemson and FSU followed by Miami and a rotation of maybe NC State, UNC or Louisville.

I don't know why that is the assumption. What makes Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Wisconsin, etc. so much more impressive than NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, Pitt, etc.? The B1G is OSU & Mich followed by Penn and Iowa much in the same way the ACC is Clemson and FSU followed by Miami and a rotation of maybe NC State, UNC or Louisville.
well it was just a trollish joke, but now i've dug my heels in.

giphy.gif

Once again...and I have no dawg in this hunt...the B1G is really not that dominant. FSU has beaten Ohio State three times against no losses with a combined score of 101 - 58. The closest game was a nine-point FSU win. They're 2 - 1 against Michigan with a 2-point loss in Ann Arbor followed by a 20-point blowout six years later on the same field and a 1-point win in the Orange Bowl. All-time versus the B1G (minus Maryland) they're 15-5-1 near as I can tell. You don't want to include Maryland - it would be embarrassing.

Not a knock on the B1G - again - but in the football world there really is a P1 - the SEC - with the B1G a distant second and the B1G is really a B2+1G.
The games against OSU were in 1981, 1982 and 1998.

The only Michigan result worth mentioning was a 1-point domination in 2016. The other two games were in 1986 and 1991.

I think FSU would do fine in the B1G. Or not. I don’t know. But holy shit, can we all agree that what FSU has done against Nebraska, Maryland and pre-smartphone Big Ten doesn’t mean a damn thing?

The only Michigan result worth mentioning was a 1-point domination in 2016. The other two games were in 1986 and 1991.

I think FSU would do fine in the B1G. Or not. I don’t know. But holy shit, can we all agree that what FSU has done against Nebraska, Maryland and pre-smartphone Big Ten doesn’t mean a damn thing?
When we're speaking purely hypothetically, then it's the only data we have. If we discard it, then it has to go both ways. All arguments for FSU being successful or unsuccessful are out the door and we're simply left with.

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I honestly don't like to live in hypotheticals. My response was mostly to combat the perception that the B1G is just better than FSU and that we somehow can't play in the cold. Maybe it's true. Maybe it's not. Playing the games is the only way to know for certain. This is another reason I do miss the old bowl season. It was the best opportunity to see how a given team could compete against a non-regular opponent from a different confernce.

Take FSU this year. #5 vs #6 UGA should be HUGE! However, it's going to be a snoozer because both teams will be absent the majority of the players that made up the team that got them their. It's pretty sad.

Personally, I'd love to see us play OSU, Iowa, Mich, etc. as opposed to Wake, Duke, and Virginia.
I think the cold thing is overplayed. There aren’t many games in the regular season that get THAT cold. The wind might be a different story. But, a good team should be well-rounded enough to adjust.

What else do you have to go on? FSU has been down for a few years but they are a historically dominant team. Period. Name a school on the B1G that hasn't suffered through some down years outside of the big two? Does that get them tossed from the B1G? They're not worthy? The idea that FSU wouldn't be a top team in the B1G is ridiculous. They would certainly be more competitive there than they would be in the SEC...and they'd be very competitive in the SEC.

These discussions were being had during the summer. The ACC TV deal has been the issue, not conference desire (at least from what I'm hearing). The SEC doesn't need the Florida State region or TV eyeballs. Conversely, the B1G could benefit from those eyeballs. FSU brings viewership and doesn't hurt the academics like a Nebraska.

Florida State would run college athletics if not for that tv deal that nobody has details on.

What exactly is the Florida State region and how many tv eyeballs does it provide the B1G? The details of all of this are important

That's not really the point tho. If FSU wants in I'm sure the B1G would be willing to listen. That being said, it's a big step up in pay and more eyeballs on FSU. If I'm the powers that be in the B1G my negotiation piece is the golden child the SEC and B1G want, The Fighting Irish.

Sell Notre Dame on the idea of a 20 team power conference, or possibly a move all the way to 24 with Stanford, UNC, Miami, and Clemson.

If not, I'm sure the ACC would love to still have you.

The point is, the B1G is fine as is. If you want in you're going to have to bring something more than just yourself to the table.

The point is, the B1G is fine as is. If you want in you're going to have to bring something more than just yourself to the table.

FSU brings eyeballs to screens in an area where the B1G footprint is very small. They bring far more value to the B1G than they would to the SEC. That’s the only thing driving college football these days. The B1G football contract is based on hundreds of thousands of alumni watching the games. It’s based on UM enrolling more student is a single year than most schools have in their entire student body. It is not based on the national football success of the B1G. On that score, they’re far less successful this century than the ACC if current events are what matters. The idea that the B1G can look down its nose at FSU is funny. And I’m no fan of FSU.

Dude, this possibility has been in the works for months and talked about ad nauseam here in multiple threads. Hell, our homeboard has a thread 1385 pages long with 5 million views going back to 2022. This isn't about getting left out of the playoffs, but that certainly helps our cause and constitution.

Fine. But only if you bring UNC or ND with.

This coast to coast expansion gives me the sads, as I appreciate regional rivalries, but money is King. This is making my goal of getting to all Big Ten stadiums harder. So far have done 10/14 (missing the Michigans, Rutgers, Illinois).

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
What exactly is the Florida State region and how many tv eyeballs does it provide the B1G? The details of all of this are important

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT