ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Arnold

Spot on, we don't have that and it's glaringly obvious.
Michigan's wrestlers had a plan, we had none.
Kind of bau the last few years, especially at Nattys.
I agree Iowa wasnt prepared for Michigan but lets not use Michigan as the bar. Their pathetic plan was defensive brawl for 2 and a half periods, then sneak something in at the end of regulation or OT but granted it worked Friday. Its been pointed out how bad we were doing with offense and takedowns but Michigan swept the first 5 matches and only had 3 takedowns in those matches.

I agree Iowa wasnt prepared for Michigan but lets not use Michigan as the bar. Their pathetic plan was defensive brawl for 2 and a half periods, then sneak something in at the end of regulation or OT but granted it worked Friday. Its been pointed out how bad we were doing with offense and takedowns but Michigan swept the first 5 matches and only had 3 takedowns in those matches.
This, and even if the roles were reversed we would have been pissed about the lack of offense and how Iowa was winning.

Reactions: Spoons and eb05
Will things change? Probably not. Even with a new AD, I don’t think she will push a top 3 team to make too many changes.

Reactions: blcoach80
It also feels like he would have really slow feet at 157. But I might be

IMO, the guys who have had the most success here are guys who came to Iowa already having well rounded technique. I don't see people gaining much beyond hand fighting after getting here. It's basic singles, HCs and an occasional double if they used one already. Spencer and Kem both had very good technical skills coming in and I don't think it's coincidence they were both not only successful but entertaining to watch.
I applaud you for your insight

Tom and Terry are too much old-school Wrestling has changed over the past 15 years. They haven’t recruiting training they have gotten better athletes bet you’re never gonna be the best wrestlers anymore by being in great shape and tough. You have to know how to wrestle and scramble.
John Smith is also old school wrestling. Now Coleman is saving the program that's what those in the know around Stillwater are saying

Tom and Terry are too much old-school Wrestling has changed over the past 15 years. They haven’t recruiting training they have gotten better athletes bet you’re never gonna be the best wrestlers anymore by being in great shape and tough. You have to know how to wrestle and scramble.

John Smith is also old school wrestling. Now Coleman is saving the program that's what those in the know around Stillwater are saying

Yeah. Glass houses blair... lol

John was the guy just a year go that responded to a bad performance by doing 2 a days. Coleman taking over the room and John trusting him has played the biggest role in this year's performance. Okiest has recruited well in the last decade, but John never addressing the drinking/partying torpedoed their chances of consistent high level success.

Okie state is making some serious noise and Coleman is a big reason why, Smith was wize enough to bring in the answer to there problems. I think TnT will make some moves soon, just a hunch.

I've also had a hunch that being Nelson's last year that this might also be Terrys. I would like to see him move over to the HWC.
Problem is that they don't have a Coleman-like alumni coach that could step into that coach in waiting role. You've got Ramos, DSJ, and Metcalf and none of them are highly sought after HC candidates imo, though they're all good young assistants. Ramos is probably the hottest name.

Problem is that they don't have a Coleman-like alumni coach that could step into that coach in waiting role. You've got Ramos, DSJ, and Metcalf and none of them are highly sought after HC candidates imo, though they're all good young assistants. Ramos is probably the hottest name.
We have the hot name from Iowa, his name is Spencer. Now whats needed is that mid to upper weight technician like Nolf but Maybe Kemdawg could be the answer. Kem may be one of those guys who is a extremely successful coach if he chooses that path.
I support our staff as is 100% but if 2-5 year in and year out is not good enough then more is needed.

Reactions: eb05 and vhsalum
We have the hot name from Iowa, his name is Spencer. Now whats needed is that mid to upper weight technician like Nolf but Maybe Kemdawg could be the answer. Kem may be one of those guys who is a extremely successful coach if he chooses that path.
I support our staff as is 100% but if 2-5 year in and year out is not good enough then more is needed.
We have zero evidence Spencer will be a good coach or that even wants to do that.

Coleman was an experienced and successful head coach at a smaller program with limited resources who developed the same amount of national champions as Tom Brands in the last 5 years.

We have zero evidence Spencer will be a good coach or that even wants to do that.

Coleman was an experienced and successful head coach at a smaller program with limited resources who developed the same amount of national champions as Tom Brands in the last 5 years.
He will bring in recruits, his has some fairly good experience wrestling, he already does instructional vids and seems fluid doing it. I think he may worth a shot, but Im just spitballing.

Okie state is making some serious noise and Coleman is a big reason why, Smith was wize enough to bring in the answer to there problems. I think TnT will make some moves soon, just a hunch.
Just when I thought Smith was toast, they have landed some big recruits in past few years. Brands did fire an old Hawkeye to make room for Morningstar, maybe he will do it again, more likely with Telford.

Spencer needs to do one thing for the Hawks - compete through 2028. None of us need to be inserting him as a coach. He has too many yellow medals to bring home.
I don't see Spencer going to more than 1 Olympics if he wins.

• Wow
Reactions: vhsalum
Multiple? I don't think anyone ever "should have" Olympic gold medals. It just does not work that way.
I didn't say Olympic. I said yellow.

Injuries suck. but he's been good enough to have won every year since his sophomore year (2019)

Reactions: GoHawks1996
We have a ton of capable guys at 149/157. Rathjen, Voinovich, Anthony Ferrari, Siebrecht, Estrada, Block(hopefully can make 141 for at least a year) Kennedy(we will see if he can make the cut) Jesuroga, and Reyna.
A list of rd of 12 guys on a good year. Estrada and Block we will wait and see on…but the rest we have seen talent level an all will need work to even place…

As much as I love all hawks that have came through and now want to go/ have gone into coaching, the program needs new blood. It needs someone from psu, nc state, mizzou, someone to draw in new style recruits, open new recruiting avenues. SL is the only Iowa guy needed to be added to the staff, in the next 5 years… not now

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb

One doesn't need to be an established D1 head coach to show their props, particularly in wrestling. Guys like Tom Brands and Cael Sanderson showed they were ready through their work as assistant coaches. They were stars in the making. Hell, one can say the same about Dan Gable.

If the rumor is correct about Gabe being dinged up, there is ZERO reason to have him compete tonight or the rest of the season.
I'm beginning to think the smoke from that rumor might have a little flame behind it.

Reactions: el dub
One doesn't need to be an established D1 head coach to show their props, particularly in wrestling. Guys like Tom Brands and Cael Sanderson showed they were ready through their work as assistant coaches. They were stars in the making. Hell, one can say the same about Dan Gable.
Agree. Gable, Cael and Smith were all head coaches by the age of 28. Koll by the time he was 30. It's still more of a sport than a business, even with NIL and a more intensive recruiting environment. Young guys with a healthy amount of maturity and charisma can do the job.

Iowa's in no-man's land. The contract with Tom Brands runs another five years, when he'll be 60. His twin brother is the Assistant Head Coach; you can't promote a Coleman Scott-type to the position of heir apparent without jettisoning your brother.

As for Terry, getting rid of him to make room for young blood isn't ideal. I think Terry's the best coach on the staff and the one who gives Iowa a competitive advantage. His over-the-top personality aside, the lightweights have out-performed the rest of the team by a wide margin.

Hard to implement a succession plan under these circumstances.

Last edited:
🦆🦆🦆🦆
ajpRWL1.jpg

I’m now convinced this chick is a 12 yr old whose parents don’t monitor their online activity. My number is still in your DM. And I’m still waiting on your call, which I know will never happen. What the hell is wrong with our society when we feel the need to name-call teenagers? Let me say this directly: my kid nor anyone in my family has ever ducked anything in our lives, nor will we ever. Again, call me I’d be happy to tell you the actual truth, but of course, that wouldn’t fit your narrative now would it? Instead, I’ll leave you with our southern saying of “bless your heart”.

In other news, I saved 15% when I switched to Gieco the other day. Then I turned around and spent the savings on the guy calling about my extended warranty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT