ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Arnold

Why isn't Gabe Arnold wrestling against Michigan at 174?
the naked gun facepalm GIF

I'm thinking Riggins is a stud in training. He's doing the trial by fire more than any Hawk I can remember.
I think this kid in the next few years takes a spot and excels more than any of us can see at this point in his career.

No problem, just an opportunity for someone to get even more shredded orrrrrrr jacked
I get ya, but these guys are all short besides Riggins, Then we have the youngest Ferrari brother coming in. Gabe can most likely bulk enough to be natural 184, but his weight is def 174 right now. Kennedy stays at 174 and adds a few lbs, the youngest Ferrari redshirts then he mans 197. I'm just spitballing but this makes the most sense. I would love to see Riggins jump levels from his experience this season, I see obvious improvement but not sure about his peak.

I'm thinking Riggins is a stud in training. He's doing the trial by fire more than any Hawk I can remember.
I think this kid in the next few years takes a spot and excels more than any of us can see at this point in his career.
I'm hoping you are right with this, I like Riggins a lot and he is battling.

I get ya, but these guys are all short besides Riggins, Then we have the youngest Ferrari brother coming in. Gabe can most likely bulk enough to be natural 184, but his weight is def 174 right now. Kennedy stays at 174 and adds a few lbs, the youngest Ferrari redshirts then he mans 197. I'm just spitballing but this makes the most sense. I would love to see Riggins jump levels from his experience this season, I see obvious improvement but not sure about his peak.
Agree to all that. It’s a problem but I like the idea that the hawks have too many good guys to fill the weights. Be great to get to the point of having this issue up and down the lineup.

If Gabe's Dad wants to confirm, deny, or let sleeping dogs lie he can. What I heard was that Gabe slipped a disc in his back and will redshirt this year. My thoughts are PK will go to 157, Gabe to 74 & hopefully Angelo Ferrari to 84 as a true freshman. Unless they can grab someone out of the portal for a year.

If Gabe's Dad wants to confirm, deny, or let sleeping dogs lie he can. What I heard was that Gabe slipped a disc in his back and will redshirt this year. My thoughts are PK will go to 157, Gabe to 74 & hopefully Angelo Ferrari to 84 as a true freshman. Unless they can grab someone out of the portal for a year.
We should have good depth at 157 with Kennedy going down, Anthony Ferrari, and Cobe Siebrecht. So that should cover 165 as well. If anything were to happen to Cali Kennedy would slide into 165. Therefore Riggins Should be hitting the weights hard to add good depth to 174/184. I guess my point is there is no reason to have Riggins keep his weight down. He should bulk to 185-190 pounds and plan on 184 next year. I have a feeling Angelo is going to need a RS or he will be a little on the small side for 184 next season.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
Slipped a disc ducking Starocci?

Gabe has 2 matches remaining. I think he will RS. But I think we see him again

We have a ton of capable guys at 149/157. Rathjen, Voinovich, Anthony Ferrari, Siebrecht, Estrada, Block(hopefully can make 141 for at least a year) Kennedy(we will see if he can make the cut) Jesuroga, and Reyna.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
How confident should PK and T&T be that he can beat out Cobe or a portal add at 157? Wouldn’t he have to make a pretty good cut to even know?

Last edited:
I know Gabe is a 174 pounder and has stated he does not like the weight 184. I still think he would be the 2nd best guy at that weight this year. Sure, Foca, Plott, Bernie could possibly beat him but I think he could beat all of them also. Parker would be the one that would be a tough out imo.

How confident should PK and T&T be that he can beat out Cobe or a portal add at 157? Wouldn’t he have to make a pretty good to even know?
I don't see any reason to bring in a portal guy at 157 unless its a title contender. You don't say no to a Meyer Shapiro or Cody Chittum if they want to come on board but we won't be actively looking for a 157 transfer next year, imo. Franek will be gone out of eligibility.

Gabe has said he considers himself too short for 184.

I wouldn’t expect to see him there unless he just completely outgrows 174.

Reactions: el dub
How confident should PK and T&T be that he can beat out Cobe or a portal add at 157? Wouldn’t he have to make a pretty good to even know
Shapiro in a hawk uniform would be amazing
If I had to pick a 157 pound transfer to join our squad, Shapiro would be my 2nd pick only because my # 1 pick would be Blaze from Purdue not bc he's better but bc that means we would most likely be getting his brother who is an absolute beast.

I don't see any reason to bring in a portal guy at 157 unless its a title contender. You don't say no to a Meyer Shapiro or Cody Chittum if they want to come on board but we won't be actively looking for a 157 transfer next year, imo. Franek will be gone out of eligibility.
Unless it would help persuade his younger brother to commit to your team.

IIRC, all thru high school Chittum was "old for his grade".

I'm still skeptical of his future success. Even moreso if he has to bump to 165 with the potential logjam at ISU at 149/157.

We'll know Ina few years if it was a big loss.

Reactions: T8KUDWN

Natural means you don't have to bulk up to get there. He would be an awfully short 184.

I appreciate Riggins and his future is brighter than the present, but he's not someone they should plan around. Not saying you were saying that. But yeah--his 165 days are gone and likely so are his 174.

We have a ton of capable guys at 149/157. Rathjen, Voinovich, Anthony Ferrari, Siebrecht, Estrada, Block(hopefully can make 141 for at least a year) Kennedy(we will see if he can make the cut) Jesuroga, and Reyna.

Your definition of "capable" is different than mine. And do we really "have" Anthony Ferrari?

Natural means you don't have to bulk up to get there. He would be an awfully short 184.

I appreciate Riggins and his future is brighter than the present, but he's not someone they should plan around. Not saying you were saying that. But yeah--his 165 days are gone and likely so are his 174.

Your definition of "capable" is different than mine. And do we really "have" Anthony Ferrari?
You need to quit being so negative. Ten capable guys could ALL AA and put up a team score of 50-60 points at nationals.

I'm still skeptical of his future success. Even moreso if he has to bump to 165 with the potential logjam at ISU at 149/157.

I believe he was 1 year older than "normal" for his age. My total wild guess is ~20% of D1 college wrestlers are in the same boat. I know Nelson Brands was also 19 at HS graduation.

Regardless, he placed top 3 at 3 big freestyle events last year and was previously accomplished in freestyle as well. FS competition is based on age, not grade.

That said, none of the above necessarily means considerable high D1 success. I think he looks the part on the mat, but we will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub

Natural weight with a few more years of maturity could be 84, but As I said his weight def is 174. Gabe is a horse and could easily add more muscle mass, still short for 84 though.

I don't think PK would be very effective at 157 even if he could cut that much. He looks great at 174 without cutting weight and he didn't cut in HS, he wrestled up. I don't think cutting weight is his strong suit. Having PK, MC, GA, and AF manning 165-184 is a good thing. Get the 3 best on the mat and the 4th is depth for all three weights. I hope Glazier comes back at 197. Bring in Blaze at 157 (along with his brother) and let Blaze, Coby, Victor, and Anthony (who knows) battle it out for 157. The winner at 157 will be AA caliber for sure.

I don't think PK would be very effective at 157 even if he could cut that much. He looks great at 174 without cutting weight and he didn't cut in HS, he wrestled up. I don't think cutting weight is his strong suit. Having PK, MC, GA, and AF manning 165-184 is a good thing. Get the 3 best on the mat and the 4th is depth for all three weights. I hope Glazier comes back at 197. Bring in Blaze at 157 (along with his brother) and let Blaze, Coby, Victor, and Anthony (who knows) battle it out for 157. The winner at 157 will be AA caliber for sure.
Would love to see both Blaze brothers in black & gold. Marcus is only going to get better and Joey, with guys like PK, Cali etc. to practice with will excel even more as well

Would we have gotten Caliendo if we didn't go after Franek? That would mean we should be comparing Caliendo + Franek+whoever mans 157 the next 2 years vs Chittum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT