ADVERTISEMENT

Google Maps vs. Apple Maps?

Put it this way, Apple is completely overhauling it’s maps app. If it was so great, they wouldn’t be essentially starting over from scratch. It will probably rival google after the overhaul as they’ve been spending tons on it, but right now, google>apple ainec.

What about Waze?

I believe Waze utilized google maps for some things and then overlays user able notifications for cops, slow downs, construction, etc.

Waze is really good if there is a lot of other Waze drivers in your area actively using the app.

I know everybody says Google maps is much better for navigating with your phone, but I've been playing with both and I have pros and cons for both of them, but Apple is better for me.

Apple sometimes does some weird crap, but I like the display better.

Google also sometimes does some weird crap, and I can't see the "miles to go" and other text as well as I can on Apple Maps. And straining to see the map isn't a great idea while driving.

Similarly, I like Apple's display of what lanes I should be in when approaching a major interchange or a turn better than Google.

I haven't noticed enough "outright wrong" on either side to declare a winner. Happens on both.

I do like how Google says "Welcome to (insert state name here)" when you cross a state line. That's fun.

I haven't tried Waze. Should I get that?

Apple Maps is the butt of many jokes in the tech world. It's that bad.

The sheer volume of waze users on the road keep it accurate. The more popular it becomes, the better it is. It's now our preferred method when traveling.

Sometimes with the kids it turns into a game too, as they shout out "car on side of road!" or "debris on road" or COP!!

Put it this way, Apple is completely overhauling it’s maps app. If it was so great, they wouldn’t be essentially starting over from scratch. It will probably rival google after the overhaul as they’ve been spending tons on it, but right now, google>apple ainec.

They spent tons on the first pass. Apple is great technology but they've never been that great a writing their own software.

Went on a little trip today and I had my wife (no pic) use Apple maps and I used Waze. For the most part they were the same, except there was one part where they differed. Apple maps had us going up a main road which was 4 lanes then turning on another. There were a number of lights. Waze took us down a parallel road which was 2 lanes and one stop sign. It then turned us on that same road Apple maps did. Though we went slower, we avoided a few stop lights and I noticed looking down the streets at the first main road that we were passing people. Just an example of Waze > Apple Maps.

Lately I've been using Apple Maps because the lock screen still provides a map...big help in heavy traffic areas such as Denver, Dallas, Houston, etc.

I've considered using Waze due to Spotify. Does it provide a map on the iOS lock screen like Apple Maps?

I know everybody says Google maps is much better for navigating with your phone, but I've been playing with both and I have pros and cons for both of them, but Apple is better for me.

Google also sometimes does some weird crap, and I can't see the "miles to go" and other text as well as I can on Apple Maps. And straining to see the map isn't a great idea while driving.

Similarly, I like Apple's display of what lanes I should be in when approaching a major interchange or a turn better than Google.

I haven't noticed enough "outright wrong" on either side to declare a winner. Happens on both.

I do like how Google says "Welcome to (insert state name here)" when you cross a state line. That's fun.

Google bought Waze and has incorporated its technology into Google maps. As a result, Google maps does a great job of getting you around accidents and road construction. At the top, Google maps shows how many miles until the next direction (an exit, etc) AND it also has an arrow pointing either to the right or the left indicating if you will need to be in the left hand lane or right hand lane.

Reactions: BelemNole
Lately I've been using Apple Maps because the lock screen still provides a map...big help in heavy traffic areas such as Denver, Dallas, Houston, etc.

I've considered using Waze due to Spotify. Does it provide a map on the iOS lock screen like Apple Maps?
I’m not sure what you mean by that. You mean does the map stay up and displaying the whole time or does it close down when your phone locks? If so, Waze does stay up until you close it.

I’m not sure what you mean by that. You mean does the map stay up and displaying the whole time or does it close down when your phone locks? If so, Waze does stay up until you close it.
Pro tip here for poors, we have a 2007 Honda Odyssey that is paid for that we use for family road trips. No nav. It has a large ledge under the instrument cluster. I get waze up and running and rest my phone on the ledge under the instrument cluster. Results in having a nav "system" better than what the BMW has.

They spent tons on the first pass. Apple is great technology but they've never been that great a writing their own software.
Apple is rarely first to the game for anything, but they get it right over time. And I gotta disagree about their software, imo, MacOS and iOS are both superior to their competitors.

Waze is good for traffic and cops, etc., but it is not in the same league as Apple or Google otherwise.

I like Apple display better as well, but Google is more reliable overall. Apple still has a long way to go.

Another big plus for Google is that if you are traveling internationally, you can download entire map areas before you leave or when you're on WIFI and then use them with Google voice navigation when traveling in that area.......with no data roaming/usage! I did this in France and Italy earlier this year. It was awesome. Can't do this natively with Apple maps.

Google bought Waze and has incorporated its technology into Google maps. As a result, Google maps does a great job of getting you around accidents and road construction. At the top, Google maps shows how many miles until the next direction (an exit, etc) AND it also has an arrow pointing either to the right or the left indicating if you will need to be in the left hand lane or right hand lane.

Yes, I know this. But that Google Maps display is much harder to read on my phone than it is on Apple Maps.

This is more of a problem with my make and model of car, but if I pair my phone to the car via bluetooth so I can talk hands-free, you don't get the voice prompts from the navigation app.

Never had a problem with Google. Just zoom in a bit on the phone to read it easier and I'm good.

I always make sure I know the route ahead of time though. I mostly only have the map up on the dash mount just to make sure I didn't take a wrong turn by accident more than anything else. Screen locking sucks...but most every time I unlock it, Google pick up exactly where I'm at.

Never had a problem with Google. Just zoom in a bit on the phone to read it easier and I'm good.

I always make sure I know the route ahead of time though. I mostly only have the map up on the dash mount just to make sure I didn't take a wrong turn by accident more than anything else. Screen locking sucks...but most every time I unlock it, Google pick up exactly where I'm at.

For me, it's a game to see if I can beat the estimated arrival time on long trips. My best outing was 17 minutes faster than estimated at when I started the seven hour trip.

This requires pushing the speed limit (nine, you're fine; 10 you're mine), and extremely quick fuel stops. Easy off/easy on the highway, and not having to wait in any lines for gas.

Yes, I know this. But that Google Maps display is much harder to read on my phone than it is on Apple Maps.
maybe you need readers or bi-focals? the print seems big enough to me; how about to others on HROT?

i did a quick check and it does not appear that you can change the font size settings; that might be something to email/suggest to the Google folks for waze they can improve their app

how do you increase font size (or can you?)?

I like maps. No nav. Old school. I like to use my brain, practice spatial relationships, finding my way using my sense of direction, memory. I'm not a big fan of computers, software, gizmos, or anything really, doing my thinking for me. Nerd alert.

Last edited:
It's not just the font size. It's the color scheme, the way it's laid out. Just harder to see for me than the Apple display.
interesting.

I really like Google maps because now that it is incorporating Waze's technology, it just keeps getting better and better. One time there was some emergency road work going on along Interstate 35 south of St Paul and it took me on a route I had never been on before to get around it; it was pretty impressive. And Google is never satisfied; they keep improving it.

Its too bad that you can't change things like font size and color thru "settings." Maybe that will happen one of these days.

interesting.

I really like Google maps because now that it is incorporating Waze's technology, it just keeps getting better and better. One time there was some emergency road work going on along Interstate 35 south of St Paul and it took me on a route I had never been on before to get around it; it was pretty impressive. And Google is never satisfied; they keep improving it.

Its too bad that you can't change things like font size and color thru "settings." Maybe that will happen one of these days.

Apple suggests alternate routes, too. Usually seems to do a good job.

Now, it did freak out on me one time in downtown Raleigh. I had to park in a parking garage near where I was going, and the "walking directions" were all wrong. It was totally confused and kept rerouting, and I ended up walking about 10 minutes longer than I should have. This was also during a heat wave and I was wearing a suit.

That sucked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT