ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane season has arrived....

who TF can't afford $10/gallon in an emergency or disaster? are people buying hundreds of gallons at a time?
People who have several hundred dollars of food in the freezer might think it’s worthwhile.

People who want to keep their oxygen generator running might think it’s worthwhile.

Reasons are innumerable, but most importantly subjective, and we distill demand for these various reasons into a price. If the price doesn’t reflect reality, shortage or surplus will evidence soon.

Telling them there’s no gas available, but at least the price is only $3/gal does them no good.

yeah-youpi.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
People who have several hundred dollars of food in the freezer might think it’s worthwhile.

People who want to keep their oxygen generator running might think it’s worthwhile.

Reasons are innumerable, but most importantly subjective, and we distill demand for these various reasons into a price. If the price doesn’t reflect reality, shortage or surplus will evidence soon.

Telling them there’s no gas available, but at least the price is only $3/gal does them no good.
yeah, that's my point

increasing the price to $10/gallon won't impact demand in any real way - it would have to go much higher before that would happen

but please realize we're talking about an emergency/disaster situation...i know you like to play pretend-econ professor on here - but there are considerations beyond basic econ principles

yeah, that's my point

increasing the price to $10/gallon won't impact demand in any real way - it would have to go much higher before that would happen

but please realize we're talking about an emergency/disaster situation...i know you like to play pretend-econ professor on here - but there are considerations beyond basic econ principles

That’s precisely when these principles are so valuable!
It’s pandering to delusions about ‘fairness’ that creates and perpetuates shortages and misery.
Jack the price! Get supplies flowing in from far and wide!

That’s precisely when these principles are so valuable!
It’s pandering to delusions about ‘fairness’ that creates and perpetuates shortages and misery.
Jack the price! Get supplies flowing in from far and wide!
yes im sure the gasoline trucks/drivers will be lining up to come in hours before a major hurricane hits if only we just made gasoline expensive enough

Reactions: Joes Place
yes im sure the gasoline trucks/drivers will be lining up to come in hours before a major hurricane hits if only we just made gasoline expensive enough
I'll get back to that notion.

But during Helene I noticed a guy with a trailer full of new, red plastic gas cans in the Walmart parking lot. I'm sure he was selling them at a mark up over what he paid, but to someone who needed one right now, and not next week from Amazon, he was probably a godsend.
He was there because of his own agency and initiative, and because he didn't fear being thrown in the clink because someone didn't like the price they were willing to pay, but didn't want to.

On the subject of gas itself, I'll never forget how I felt after a hurricane disrupted gas pipelines across MS and AL, which decreased supplies across the SE. Panic buying emptied tanks, and in the United States of America, my friend was calling me concerned whether or not he could purchase gasoline in Tallahassee if he drove over for the football game that weekend. We weren't a disaster zone at all. The only reason that fear existed was because of governors threatening to enforce 'gouging' laws resulted in prices being too low, and supplies running out. Tankers could have come from all over (that EPA formulation rules allowed, another subject...) to make sure people had gas if they had money. But only if you allow them to make it worth their while.

On the subject of gas itself, I'll never forget how I felt after a hurricane disrupted gas pipelines across MS and AL, which decreased supplies across the SE. Panic buying emptied tanks, and in the United States of America, my friend was calling me concerned whether or not he could purchase gasoline in Tallahassee if he drove over for the football game that weekend. We weren't a disaster zone at all. The only reason that fear existed was because of governors threatening to enforce 'gouging' laws resulted in prices being too low, and supplies running out. Tankers could have come from all over (that EPA formulation rules allowed, another subject...) to make sure people had gas if they had money. But only if you allow them to make it worth their while.
LOL...one truck - the largest they use - could supply about 600 family vehicles - optimistically - unless you're also imposing limits on the amount that could be bought. And that doesn't include commercial vehicles. Just how many cars and trucks do you suppose there are "across the SE"?

edit - And a busy station may get a delivery every day.

Last edited:
And that right there is your problem. If your house was flattened and everything you had was destroyed, you’d be taking every bit of help offered and be happy to get it. And - unlike you -decent people would show empathy and be happy to do everything they could to help. So - right now - you’re lying out of your ass.
He is doing the trad dance.

LOL...one truck - the largest they use - could supply about 600 family vehicles - optimistically - unless you're also imposing limits on the amount that could be bought. And that doesn't include commercial vehicles. Just how many cars and trucks do you suppose there are "across the SE"?

edit - And a busy station may get a delivery every day.
My SIL has been a work from home dispatcher for a fuel supplier in the panhandle for a while now.
If they could make more money sending the tankers to Tampa instead of Mossy Head, guess where her boss will say to send the truckers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT