ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane season has arrived....

With daybreak I hope we start seeing some positive reports.

I mean this with the best of intent, listening to the news as it hit last night it sounded like the best possible.outcome from a hit/surge/speed perspective. Milton died on its way in. Again, that doesn't mean I don't understand it was still devastating but this thing was a cat 5 two days ago.
Probably going to be more destruction associated with the tornadoes spawned by an afternoon band that went across southern/central Florida than the winds of the hurricane eye itself.
Storm surge will still be biggest destroyer overall.

Tradition Manor suffered some siding and soffit damage. Tree debris is everywhere. Lake Tradition flooded the lower back yard (which was expected). The swimming pool is overflowing. I don't know how much rain we received because the rain gauge only holds 6 inches.
Lake Trad ever hold ducks?

( I'll hunt a hot tub if it has green heads on it)

That was a badass storm. Got through with no major damage but there are trees down everywhere. Can't imagine what it is like in the eye zone
Glad you’re okay.
There are scattered reports of minor street flooding and some tree damage here in Duval County (Jacksonville) but no widespread power outages. My house is fine and I put a few more palm fronds out at the curb but all is well.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Tradition Manor suffered some siding and soffit damage. Tree debris is everywhere. Lake Tradition flooded the lower back yard (which was expected). The swimming pool is overflowing. I don't know how much rain we received because the rain gauge only holds 6 inches.
It could have been worse and glad you and Mrs. Tradition are okay.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Post Andrew building codes.
I have good news and bad news....

The good news is the roof didn't blow away.

The bad news is:

ofeucxhrrwtd1.jpeg
That had to be a tornado right?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I see our forensic interview systems off in much of central and south Florida. Usually on 24-7, but some may have been shut down as precaution.

Currently Offline:

Arcadia
Bunnell
Chiefland
Clearwater
Daytona
Labelle
Miami
Naples
North Port
Orange Park
Sanford
Sarasota
Sebring
Trenton
West Palm Beach

Tampa is currently online.

Reactions: goldmom
Post Andrew building codes.
DFS you probably know this since you’re a contractor but there used to be different building codes in Florida and Dade County (Miami) had its own for years.
I think the rest of the state has now adopted the Dade County code. Much sturdier code and then the requirement to use “hurricane clips” for roofing has helped too. Still serious damage but the strength of the recent storms and tornadoes have increased the resulting aftermath.

DFS you probably know this since you’re a contractor but there used to be different building codes in Florida and Dade County (Miami) had its own for years.
I think the rest of the state has now adopted the Dade County code. Much sturdier code and then the requirement to use “hurricane clips” for roofing has helped too. Still serious damage but the strength of the recent storms and tornadoes have increased the resulting aftermath.
And lots of short cuts and bribes of building inspectors back in the day. I’m sure it still exists but who knows to what degree.

It's almost time

I would hope they did some type of stress-testing after what happened Superdome and to the Metrodome. No, it wasn't snow (like the Metrodome) and it doesn't have a concrete roof (like in NOLA), but that wind and rain carries a low of power and weight when it hits. If they ignored it, then they totally dropped the ball and potentially put hundreds/thousands of lives at risk. Heads should (deservingly) roll.

My guess is that they did some stress-testing at some point prior.
I heard today the roof was rated to withstand up to 105mph. I would guess there have been very few times it has been hit by winds exceeding that in it's existence.

Reactions: cfbfan23
The building code is updated fairly regularly. After Andrew, Miami Dade adopted its own wind-related codes. Many counties started using those until an update adopted them for the entire state. It was at the time the new wind zones were established.

Any group who keeps bashing the federal government for personal political reasons is dangerous to any democracy. That's what we've been seeing with all of this FEMA nonsense.
To some extent I don’t think anyone can argue your point.
If you’ll pass that along to the rabble rousers on social media that would be great.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT