ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa/Rutgers Dual Thread

How long was your drive home? White knuckles: Completely snow covered roads. 380 was about 35 mph to Cedar Rapids and at least one fresh car in the ditch. Got off in CR and took 1st Ave to Marion. It looked like they dumped extra snow on 1st Ave as it was terrible until we got to Marion. It went from 5 inches of snow in CR to plowed with only a cover of 1/8 of snow in Marion. Apparently my taxes get plows out. Drive was 1.75X normal.

Wife knows I HATE winter driving. I cancel trips all the time. Walk in the door and Wife asks if it was worth it. "Absolutely and if I get a text that they are going to re-wrestle the dual in two hours, I'll jump back in the car and drive back down."

I live in IC so 5 minutes! But moving soon. This will be the last dual I can watch without having to make a long drive/special weekend trip to visit Iowa City. I'm glad that it was worth the trip for you!

You’re at strike three with desanto.

I was adamant about Lewis et all being punished. Feel free to go look at the RU board.

“It’s being addressed”.... how well is it being addressed if it keeps happening??

Meh...Rutgers did it's level best to get DeSanto after he left Drexel. Here is Delveccio flexing in DeSanto's face after a win.
semi14jpg-8c93ba798025f529.jpg

It was "f**" when Richie Lewis ran his mouth and flexed at Brands after beating Marinelli at B1G. BTW...Tom laughed at that, said he liked Richie's fire. Richie was in the Iowa room in April.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...n-richie-lewis-rutgers-vs-alex-marinelli-iowa

You’re at strike three with desanto.

I was adamant about Lewis et all being punished. Feel free to go look at the RU board.

“It’s being addressed”.... how well is it being addressed if it keeps happening??
I’m only aware of last week and last night in a hawk singlet - hawks aren’t responsible for last year. I’m not sure what the magic number is but what I have heard in interviews from his coach, his teammates and from him along with what I’ve seen on the mat I think there’s been some growth and it gives me hope (yes I’m sure I’m biased) that it will continue. If the poor choices do continue I’m pretty confident actions will be taken as I seem to recall a certain national champion who was shown the door when he didn’t want to play by brand’s rules.

Good for you regarding Lewis - never liked the fake tough guys like him.

I’m only aware of last week and last night in a hawk singlet - hawks aren’t responsible for last year. I’m not sure what the magic number is but what I have heard in interviews from his coach, his teammates and from him along with what I’ve seen on the mat I think there’s been some growth and it gives me hope (yes I’m sure I’m biased) that it will continue. If the poor choices do continue I’m pretty confident actions will be taken as I seem to recall a certain national champion who was shown the door when he didn’t want to play by brand’s rules.

Good for you regarding Lewis - never liked the fake tough guys like him.

Fair on him not being held accountable by TNT for actions at Drexel. For the non hawk faithful, are you talking about Montrell Marion? (Spelling?)

6 pages of Iowa/Rutgers on the RU Rivals board. I dont see you posting in that thread. Why?

Because it’s a bitch fest about how Rutgers doesn’t have money and an inter-fan squabble over regression etc.

I think I learned not to gauge a program midseason and really don’t know if the team is “regressing”. It’s been 2 AAs a year for a few years. Let’s see what March brings and then talk about regression.

Fair on him not being held accountable by TNT for actions at Drexel. For the non hawk faithful, are you talking about Montrell Marion? (Spelling?)
That was my thought, that happened at a different school. Also, to your point about not wanting him punished, the only thing that’s “suspendable” is the spitting on the mat. But let me seriously ask you, how would you have felt if he hadn’t wrestled last night due to a suspension? Perhaps you would have been all for it, if so kudos to you, but one rational voice isn’t the one the media is going to propagate. We lost a point because Brands went on the mat to stop Desanto. I’m sure that will be addressed.

For what it’s worth I really like most of your takes and agree he’s gotten out of pocket, but I think you wanting him suspended is a little far.

No Montell finished at Iowa and never won a title but dam he was close. He did some dumb stuff and spent some time on the sideline until he eventually learned to adhere to the rules. Hope you had a chance to talk with him when he was at Rutgers - always approachable and a good kid based on the conversations I’ve had with him.

I was talking about Seth Gross.

That was my thought, that happened at a different school. Also, to your point about not wanting him punished, the only thing that’s “suspendable” is the spitting on the mat. But let me seriously ask you, how would you have felt if he hadn’t wrestled last night due to a suspension? Perhaps you would have been all for it, if so kudos to you, but one rational voice isn’t the one the media is going to propagate. We lost a point because Brands went on the mat to stop Desanto. I’m sure that will be addressed.

For what it’s worth I really like most of your takes and agree he’s gotten out of pocket, but I think you wanting him suspended is a little far.

1) i would rather him be suspended for a dual than booted from a post season tournament.

2) if there are punishments in place, and they don’t work/aren’t working, you escalate them. It’s just how it works, no? Why do Pro players always say “I don’t care if the league fines me, but don’t suspend me”. Because athletes want to compete. If you take competition away from him once, it may just be the trigger to affect change.

3) if desanto were suspended yesterday. Well first I would have come here and trolled all of you for ducking. Lol. I guess if Tom announced literally after the Minnesota match a suspension it would play differently than if he announced mid-week. It is a bit of a lose lose.

You say a suspension is far fetched, but short of taking him off the mat On competition day, do you think there is another avenue?

No Montell finished at Iowa and never won a title but dam he was close. He did some dumb stuff and spent some time on the sideline until he eventually learned to adhere to the rules. Hope you had a chance to talk with him when he was at Rutgers - always approachable and a good kid based on the conversations I’ve had with him.

I was talking about Seth Gross.

Got it. I didn’t really follow the Seth gross thing. My bad!

Surprised there isn't more mentioned on our big guy going last night. I thought stoll looked pretty good against a kid who just battled White to a 2 point match. It gave me enough confidence where I believe come March he'll be ready to score some points.

Reactions: pmow38 and WildTurk
1) i would rather him be suspended for a dual than booted from a post season tournament.

2) if there are punishments in place, and they don’t work/aren’t working, you escalate them. It’s just how it works, no? Why do Pro players always say “I don’t care if the league fines me, but don’t suspend me”. Because athletes want to compete. If you take competition away from him once, it may just be the trigger to affect change.

3) if desanto were suspended yesterday. Well first I would have come here and trolled all of you for ducking. Lol. I guess if Tom announced literally after the Minnesota match a suspension it would play differently than if he announced mid-week. It is a bit of a lose lose.

You say a suspension is far fetched, but short of taking him off the mat On competition day, do you think there is another avenue?
1)absolutely agree

2)see where your coming from but Desanto has a limited window and a suspension would be a bigger punishment for a smaller crime compared to what you’re talking about IMO

3)I know you would ;) and you’d be far from alone.

I honestly don’t have an answer, and part of my feelings are probably biased as all of ours are. I’m going to put my trust that Brands has a plan I’m place during the week to take care of this, and he handles himself with grace from here on out. If it continues, I’ll support him sitting for behavior.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Surprised there isn't more mentioned on our big guy going last night. I thought stoll looked pretty good against a kid who just battled White to a 2 point match. It gave me enough confidence where I believe come March he'll be ready to score some points.
Stoll did well but he was obviously hampered and was not going to risk injury if within his control. Thought it was notable he got on his offense with a two-on-one snap even though his opponent knew it was coming. If he can stay “healthy” and make the podium then it will be a remarkable feat.

worry about rutgers wrestlers, we have people to worry about ours.little drama queen got his feelings hurt,boo hoo.nothing about the delvecchio picture sure looked like that guy was under control.you don't think that atmosphere isn't effecting this kid,what do you want them to do dope him up and send him out there.

If it were just getting in his ear it’d be strike 1.

Strike 1 was the attempted Kimura. Strike 2 was spitting on the M at Minnesota (or whatever he did to get a team point deducted). This was strike three. Another team point.

At some point there have to be consequences to actions. That it keeps happening shows the consequences offered aren’t nearly enough.

Some of you don’t think these are strikes which is the scary part.
To summarize, you're butt hurt that your boy got beat and now are fabricating reasons ADS should be consequenced? Seriously, for celebrating after a win? Twice?

Reactions: el dub and Chuck C
Stoll looked like Corey Clark last night. Worked the 2 on 1 to an arm drag take down and then got off parallel to work the arm for a turn. It was one of the most impressive pieces of work on top for a hwt I have seen in a long time. Excellent technique like this will help offset some physical limitations he is dealing with.

Last edited:

Strike 1 was the attempted Kimura. Strike 2 was spitting on the M at Minnesota (or whatever he did to get a team point deducted). This was strike three. Another team point.

At some point there have to be consequences to actions. That it keeps happening shows the consequences offered aren’t nearly enough.

If you ever read my posts you'll know that I am not a fan of the antics and you should also know that many HR posters feel the same.

I understand you are upset that Austin beat your best guy, but it's too obvious where this is coming from. Time to give it a rest. We get it, and by sending Lee and DeSanto out last night to address it, shows TNT are concerned as well. All they can do is keep working on it.

DeSanto is wrestling at his highest level ever, he's better than Suiano right now. I'm surprised scatfan didn't give you the inside info that Austin was winning this one, I mean you build him up like nostradamus so thought you would have been better prepared to handle the loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub and wasdt21
BTN announcer said Loss of Mat Control on Brands but all reporting I’ve seen since then is it was unsportsmanlike on Desanto and not called on Brands. Either way, it sounds like it’s a point of emphasis to work on. It’s unfortunate that this is the bigger talking point than his wrestling.

first good eye on the stoll match neo. next you guys don't know how proud , impressed and scared to death for austin. i've been trying to come up with the right words to help some understand alittle better.Mr. Brown alluded that these antics(thats, what alot of you like to call them),they are not done.i'm not an expert,but i have been living in it for a long time and i'm speaking from the heart. these individuals all have stressors,pinter tried to explain.really hard to avoid a melt down when exposed to whatever each is stressed by. it takes time and you must be calm, but how in the heck is austin supposed to be calm when 8,ooo people are cheering and he is the center of attention.before my matches i was always jacked up,i'm sure most are.i've seen a few on here question if he really has this. yes he does, look at his eyes when he is in his manic state.punishment is not the answer and truthfully i don't have the answer.i think he should hang with lugo that guy is cool as a cucumber. to us it's a big show and dudes tweeting i can't wait to see what that crazy little sucker does next, not helpful.i've got more thoughts but i'm done.

This is in another thread, but I thought Austin's interview after the match was a clear look into who he is as a person. I think he did a nice job. I was impressed. I think he will get this under control. I think he has a shot to win this year.

This is not baseball.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
It feels like a lot of you don’t like DeSantos antics but don’t want him to face consequences other than a talking to.

This isn’t strike 1. It’s at least strike three if you count last year.

What’s the point at which actual action should be taken?

Or if he keeps winning, none?

If you didn’t like Mark Halls air guitar, and you defend desanto, I’m afraid it’s about the singlet and not the actions.
Strike three???? Why would we count last year when he had nothing to do with Iowa wrestling? For the record I don't condone what he did last night but I have seen much worse! If that is so offensive then I think we are getting way to soft. Had Brands not jumped in it may have gotten out of hand, but he did so we will never know!

So a few things.

1) he apologized in his interview yesterday. Didn’t see that till today. He seemed genuinely contrite ex post facto. That counts. I do think there is a difference between a celebration and being in your face. He has crossed the line and he knew it. To that end he deserves both the “ridicule” of getting it wrong and the opportunity to make it right. Let’s not forget most people say wrestling is about what you gain off the mat. To say he isn’t making strides would be unfair, I’m not saying that.

2) I conceded that strike 1 (kimura) shouldnt count on TNT.

3) I don’t care that Nick lost. Good on desanto. I think a few people agreed that the stalling calls may not be there in March. Closest thing I even remotely said negative about the match from whistle to whistle. No I am not making an excuse. For 7 minutes Austin DeSanto was the better wrestler. No ifs ands or but’s. End of story.

4) douchey behavior is douchey behavior. The still shot of SD staving over Austin looks different than what I saw in real time which was SD getting up and going wild while flexing. Let’s say it was an “in your face” move.. was it a repeated thing by the same wrestler? Is there anyone saying that Austin wasn’t “in your face” after the whistle a lot? Does he seem like a guy who shows much respect? I don’t think that’s very becoming.

5) suspension may not be warranted yet, but if he keeps getting dinged for team points, you have to do it, for the kid and for the team.

Reactions: FarvaHawk14
So a few things.

1) he apologized in his interview yesterday. Didn’t see that till today. He seemed genuinely contrite ex post facto. That counts. I do think there is a difference between a celebration and being in your face. He has crossed the line and he knew it. To that end he deserves both the “ridicule” of getting it wrong and the opportunity to make it right. Let’s not forget most people say wrestling is about what you gain off the mat. To say he isn’t making strides would be unfair, I’m not saying that.

3) I don’t care that Nick lost. Good on desanto. I think a few people agreed that the stalling calls may not be there in March. Closest thing I even remotely said negative about the match from whistle to whistle. No I am not making an excuse. For 7 minutes Austin DeSanto was the better wrestler. No ifs ands or but’s. End of story.

4) douchey behavior is douchey behavior. The still shot of SD staving over Austin looks different than what I saw in real time which was SD getting up and going wild while flexing. Let’s say it was an “in your face” move.. was it a repeated thing by the same wrestler? Is there anyone saying that Austin wasn’t “in your face” after the whistle a lot? Does he seem like a guy who shows much respect? I don’t think that’s very becoming.

5) suspension may not be warranted yet, but if he keeps getting dinged for team points, you have to do it, for the kid and for the team.
GTFO.

Reactions: HAMNEGGS
So a few things.

How about a wrestler taunting the opposing coach after a match? You cool with that? How becoming is that? Is that showing respect? What if that wrestler does it twice? Where do you stand on that?

You're not saying anything off the wall, you are just obviously upset by your guy getting beat and you're trying to make it sound like that couldn't be further from the truth.

Reactions: HawkMD
How about a wrestler taunting the opposing coach after a match? You cool with that? How becoming is that? Is that showing respect? What if that wrestler does it twice? Where do you stand on that?

You're not saying anything off the wall, you are just obviously upset by your guy getting beat and you're trying to make it sound like that couldn't be further from the truth.

You think I’m a Richie Lewis fan? Was never shy at all about saying what I think of him. I don’t think JUCO taught him anything other than control his temper and he thought that was enough. Wasn’t a good teammate, lacked any semblance of humility... want me to go on?

I’ve said more times than I can count (and the RU faithful gave me hell for it) the head slaps from ashnault at Kevin Jack (midlands) and then ashnault getting on twitter and bragging about the boxing match with PSU was terrible, and I do think a little less of ashnault for it. And he is the most decorated wrestler in school history and state history.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
You think I’m a Richie Lewis fan? Was never shy at all about saying what I think of him. I don’t think JUCO taught him anything other than control his temper and he thought that was enough. Wasn’t a good teammate, lacked any semblance of humility... want me to go on?

I’ve said more times than I can count (and the RU faithful gave me hell for it) the head slaps from ashnault at Kevin Jack (midlands) and then ashnault getting on twitter and bragging about the boxing match with PSU was terrible, and I do think a little less of ashnault for it. And he is the most decorated wrestler in school history and state history.
And many people on here, including me, have said the same about Desanto. The point has been made. Time to move on. It was an impressive win, not sure I thought it could happen. Kid is special and I am glad he's a Hawl, but we all have a breaking point and this needs to be fixed before we reach it with Desanto.

Well then...........

Guess your State needs to be suspended.

images

Reactions: wasdt21
I get what you’re saying and although I disagree he should be suspended...yet.... he’s got to get it reigned in. For both himself and the team. My concern is what happens if/when he loses a match when it counts (tourney time). I still thought he should’ve been tossed from NCAA tourney last year for that debacle, but then he basically quit during his next match and that attitude hurts himself and the team.

I’m absolutely a proponent of giving people second chances, and I’m glad ADS is a Hawk. As someone who likes to watch wrestling, he’s a fun one to watch with that motor. However, I am hopeful he can work on the antics as come tourney time, a 1 point deduction isn’t something the Hawks can afford.

Anyway, just my two cents for what it’s worth.

Cheers
Tom knows this and has said so publicly. In a tournament setting he could get tossed. They are all aware, we will see how it plays out.

Reactions: shobart
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT