ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa St vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Agree that Fran's sub patterns can be unusual, but tonight he stuck with the guys who got him the huge lead and kept it.

and now we know what another second tier coaching behavior looks like…
play your starters 36-37min in a 25 point blow out…

it laughable watching those here try to rationalize this as sound coaching dogma…

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Frans substitutions have always been an issue. Nothing new here.
It’s just hard to understand stand the logic,
3m games in 5 days, down a player, and you run 4 guys for 37 minutes in a 25 point home blow out?

help me understand how that makes any sense

3m games in 5 days, down a player, and you run 4 guys for 37 minutes in a 25 point home blow out?

Pretty angry after a 20 pt win.
He must have bet against the Hawks lolol

I know it’s a fan forum and everyone’s entitled to their opinion - but those posters loudly bitching after our boys slapped the shit out of the Clones with Kris on the bench remind me of an old stand-up joke from the Catskills/Poconos circuit:

Bitter old woman 1: “My gawd the food at this restaurant is horrible!”

Bitter old woman 2: “Yes…and such small portions!”

🤓

I have seen a lot of Frans games now.

I channel KF when I see this: "That's Fran".

It is what it is.
Agreed. Personally I just don’t have the blind loyalty to Fran as some posters do. Especially after 12 years in our program with limited to no postseason success. I do think he’s a solid coach that does stuff the right way, but he definitely hasn’t earned the right of no criticism. Plenty of examples of questionable in-game coaching.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2 and KcTo
Agreed. Personally I just don’t have the blind loyalty to Fran as some posters do. Especially after 12 years in our program with limited to no postseason success. I do think he’s a solid coach that does stuff the right way, but he definitely hasn’t earned the right of no criticism. Plenty of examples of questionable in-game coaching.
I have zero blind loyalty to Fran, and I think everyone would like more postseason success. I just don’t feel criticism is warranted when you beat your in state rivals by 20 after almost no sleep coming back from New York and missing your best player.

Maybe losing a 30 point lead to the clowns a few years ago had an effect on Fran? I could see taking starters out at the under 4 timeout. Certainly not the under 8. Iowa has blown big leads to the clowns before. Enjoy the win.
Congrats to the men's and women's BB teams and the Iowa Wrestlers on their wins in the Cy-Hawk series. Shame of the Iowa Football coaches for the embarrassing losses at home to the two worst teams on their schedule. (ISU & Nebraska) Should have been gimme wins this year at Kinnick.

Last edited:
Fran sets expectations with all his recruits, which is why he has generally low turnover within the program. You think he lied to Bowen up front? You think he promised him minutes as a true freshman? Bowen will have plenty of opportunities this season, and will probably even play decent minutes against Wisconsin in a couple days
Just curious if you would consider a 25 point lead with 8 minutes left as an opportunity to get him in the game?

He must have bet against the Hawks lolol

I know it’s a fan forum and everyone’s entitled to their opinion - but those posters loudly bitching after our boys slapped the shit out of the Clones with Kris on the bench remind me of an old stand-up joke from the Catskills/Poconos circuit:

Bitter old woman 1: “My gawd the food at this restaurant is horrible!”

Bitter old woman 2: “Yes…and such small portions!”

🤓
We can categorize these comments in those posters that are ’vigilent protectors of the small picture’ or IOWA won so that is the one and only way to understand everything that occurred. The bottom line is the only line that can be used to understand this game

that is short sighted and 100% wrong.

there are other story lines to be discussed and player deployment is very fair game. As you know from the delta seal teams, they review every decision made for good/bad, did we do it right / wrong, and they do it regardless of outcome

Frans over use of players in 29 point lead, resulted in tired legs, in one stretch we saw 5 TOs in 7 minutes allowing ISU back into the game. we saw Rebraca, Ulis, CMac all fall to the ground , and resulted in TOs, that is a sign of tired legs, we saw ISU win the off rebounding in 2h and get 2nd chance points,

all of this allowed the lead to shrink form 29 to under 20.

whos to say that feathering in bench players, as is normal SOP, would have held the lead, allowed starters fresh legs, and allied them to finish strong preserving a 30 point win?

very few coaches at any level leave starters in the entire 2nd half with 20-29 point leads

this is deserving of critical review

I have zero blind loyalty to Fran, and I think everyone would like more postseason success. I just don’t feel criticism is warranted when you beat your in state rivals by 20 after almost no sleep coming back from New York and missing your best player.
So we’re already tired from playing tuesday, plus travel time both ways, and you still think it’s smart to play the starters 30+ minutes in a game that was in hand before the 2nd half even started? And let’s not forget that the first game of conference play starts in 3 days, against one of our other most hated rivals. I mean let’s get real here, this ISU team is so offensively challenged they weren’t coming back from a 10 point deficit let alone 20! It’s awesome we piss pounded iowa state, I just like to look a little more big picture. Like having a big game Sunday and keeping some of the guys fresh while getting some of the younger guys like bowen and dix some much needed experience.

We can categorize these comments in those posters that are ’vigilent protectors of the small picture’ or IOWA won so that is the one and only way to understand everything that occurred. The bottom line is the only line that can be used to understand this game

there are other story lines to be discussed and player deployment is very fair game. As you know from the delta seal teams, they review every decision made for good/bad, did we do it right / wrong, and they do it regardless of outcome

Frans over use of players in 29 point lead, resulted in tired legs, in one stretch we saw 5 TOs in 7 minutes allowing ISU back into the game. we saw Rebraca, Ulis, CMac all fall to the ground , and resulted in TOs, that is a sign of tired legs, we saw ISU win the off rebounding in 2h and get 2nd chance points,

whos to say that feathering in bench players, as is normal SOP, would have held the lead, allowed starters fresh legs, and allied them to finish strong preserving a 30 point win?

very few coaches at any level leave starters in the entire 2nd half with 20-29 point leads

Of course most anything can be open to critical review. The criticism of Fran here on these boards is rather free flowing. It bugs me that mostly it is centered entirely on the outcome of single game (such as after the Duke loss). That's not you, as you have been consistent about wanting the bench guys to play more.

About the only player who didn't play much who should have played more was Bowen. And Fran tried to give him more time in the second half and he turned it over 2 times in 3 minutes. Fran also put Ogundele in the game in the first half to give Rebraca a break and he turned it over twice in 2 minutes.

The game flow in the second half was weird. Iowa led 66-38 with 9 minutes to go. Probably should have subbed some at this point, if only to get a few guys a breather around the under 8 timeout. But ISU goes on a 11-0 run. At that point, Fran isn't going to go to the bench, but Iowa is just milking the clock with under 5 minutes. Connor makes 4 straight FT's, Rebraca hits a 3 and it's back to 24 point lead. If it's me, that's when I'm calling a TO and taking out Rebraca, Connor and Ulis. But those guys playing the final few minutes at a low-energy walk won't make or break them for Sunday.

If they can find a way to get through Sunday with a win, the following 2 weeks are light on games and everyone can rest.

I think people are just saying that there's an appropriate time to bit**. That time is not now.

Just curious if you would consider a 25 point lead with 8 minutes left as an opportunity to get him in the game?
Sure it was. You could justify any score as being an opportunity to put him in. Fran didn’t, and Iowa won by 20 against their in-state rival, so who really cares? Again, Bowen will get ample playing time this season

I posted this elsewhere also, but Ulis, Perkins, and McCaffrey were clamps defensively on the perimeter all night. Holding Grill, Lipsey, and Holmes to 20 points on 35% shooting is legit, and Fran chose to ride those guys to ensure it never got close. When Perkins got in foul trouble, he brought in Dix, who provided great minutes as well

Bowen’s usage is just not worth being up in arms about. If we had been losing the whole game and couldn’t get anything going on offense (like against TCU and Duke), and Dasonte was planted on the bench, everybody would rightly have some questions

No blind loyalty, but between Josh and Bowen they each played 2 to 3 minutes and between the two of them they had 4 TOs and 2 fouls. Right or wrong Fran did what he normally does and sits them if he feels they are not matching the intensity and/or the execution of the others on the floor. Glad to see Dix get some more time (11 minutes). What I am REALLY hoping is that Fran believes Kris will be back shortly after Wisconsin and he was not worried about emptying the tank.....but I certainly am not close enough to know what the status is.
Wisky will be a much tougher game but at least our guys have all today and tomorrow to get the legs back.

Badgers won't press,.. Prime opportunity to let Bowen display some of his talents.

I think people are just saying that there's an appropriate time to bit**. That time is not now.
When is the appropriate time? Only after a loss? No time for reflection after a win i guess. And I wouldn’t even say we’re bitching, just wondering why backups aren’t getting PT in a blowout when the game was clearly out of reach and another big game coming in a few days.

No blind loyalty, but between Josh and Bowen they each played 2 to 3 minutes and between the two of them they had 4 TOs and 2 fouls. Right or wrong Fran did what he normally does and sits them if he feels they are not matching the intensity and/or the execution of the others on the floor. Glad to see Dix get some more time (11 minutes). What I am REALLY hoping is that Fran believes Kris will be back shortly after Wisconsin and he was not worried about emptying the tank.....but I certainly am not close enough to know what the status is.
Wisky will be a much tougher game but at least our guys have all today and tomorrow to get the legs back.
The double standard bias is evident as too me the same rationale applies with Sandfort Goes 2-20 shooting and all people say is he must play , but if another kid makes w mistakes it’s bench him for the game

fran usually follows process and not outcomes, like with Sandfort, so it doesn’t make sense that he doesn’t do the same with others who makes mistakes

it laughable watching those here try to rationalize this as sound coaching dogma…
First an expert basketball analyst, and now a coach. With Kris out, Iowa just beat the hell out of a ranked team, which had beaten North Carolina and Villanova, and you are criticizing Fran, who just won his 500th game as a coach.o_O

By the way, since you like stats, what was JoshO's line last night? I see 0 pts, 0 boards, 2 TOs and 2 fouls in only 3 minutes. I think that is 2 games in a row without a rebound. Clearly, Fran needed to play him more...

In fairness to JoshO, he has shown that he can contribute for short periods, and we will need him against teams with imposing centers.

Same reply for you.

500 wins, how many you got? None. Delete your account.

Sure it was. You could justify any score as being an opportunity to put him in. Fran didn’t, and Iowa won by 20 against their in-state rival, so who really cares? Again, Bowen will get ample playing time this season

I posted this elsewhere also, but Ulis, Perkins, and McCaffrey were clamps defensively on the perimeter all night. Holding Grill, Lipsey, and Holmes to 20 points on 35% shooting is legit, and Fran chose to ride those guys to ensure it never got close. When Perkins got in foul trouble, he brought in Dix, who provided great minutes as well

Bowen’s usage is just not worth being up in arms about. If we had been losing the whole game and couldn’t get anything going on offense (like against TCU and Duke), and Dasonte was planted on the bench, everybody would rightly have some questions
I’m guessing Bowen cares. I know I wouldn’t enjoy only playing 2 minutes of a blowout game. It also looks like a lot of hawk fans care as well.
He’s a freshman and what better time to get him some meaningful minutes then when a game is out of hand against a power 5 school and at home. Nah let’s throw him in on the road during big 10 play and expect him to perform and not make any mistakes.

Reactions: Slim45
I was at a concert last night with every intention of watching this when I got home. After the opening act I popped open my phone and saw it was 39-16 and I decided to just not watch even a second of it. Just an absolute shellacking and nothing but tremendous respect for the players and staff getting ready on a short turnaround.

I’m guessing Bowen cares. I know I wouldn’t enjoy only playing 2 minutes of a blowout game. It also looks like a lot of hawk fans care as well.
He’s a freshman and what better time to get him some meaningful minutes then when a game is out of hand against a power 5 school and at home. Nah let’s throw him in on the road during big 10 play and expect him to perform and not make any mistakes.
JFC he will get lots of opportunities to play. You act as though he's not seeing the floor and his presence is sorely missed when he's not out there. Couldn't have been further from the truth.

He played a lot against Duke in Madison Square Garden. I doubt that he cares that he didn't play in a blowout, he knows that the coaches trust him when they need him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT