ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Dual Thread

What’s the ideal starting weight for each team
That’s tough to answer without knowing the physical condition of a couple of Hawks. Since our first 3 weights have been maligned by injury this season I suggest we start at 149. ISU likely wants to start at 125 to reduce Iowa’s options. I don’t know that Tom has never not elected to start at 125 so I’m not sure he’s able to break this tradition without being forced.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
That’s tough to answer without knowing the physical condition of a couple of Hawks. Since our first 3 weights have been maligned by injury this season I suggest we start at 149. ISU likely wants to start at 125 to reduce Iowa’s options. I don’t know that Tom has never not elected to start at 125 so I’m not sure he’s able to break this tradition without being forced.
I thought changing starting weight was choice of visiting team and then they draw for starting weight.

I agree to a point.

Some would argue you want your best wrestler going last while others want early momentum.

The big hitch is if one team has a kid cutting lots of weight and they want to give that guy the max recovery time. The rumor is that Redding at 133 cuts big time. Apparently Ramen Noodle not so much.

Lots of gamesmanship.

Last edited:
I think a change at 125 will happen. I dont know if it will be Lee, Teske or Ybarra but I just dont see Harris in the ISU meet.

Reactions: gprsox
Rumor that isu’s 125 lber is out. Injured. And their hwt is banged up too. Bodes well for bonus points in Iowa’s favor.
ISU’s backup 125, Cabanban had a 4-3 win over Teske last year.

True, a good to go Lee is where I’d start, I’d think isu wouldn’t mind starting at 165 and try to kill some momentum quick

I thought changing starting weight was choice of visiting team and then they draw for starting weight.
Nope. Home can decide starting weight with visitors agreement on that choice or either can decide for the draw.

We’ve got Mitch. He pays more attention to your team than anyone else who doesn’t care for your team.

And I’m guessing he pays more attention to cyclone wrestling than a lot of your fans do. Lol And he HATES you guys.
I didn't leak a darn thing.

I don't know what goes on in the Clones wrestling room. I don't even know what happens in the Iowa room.

But sometimes it's just a matter of connecting dots.

We’ve got Mitch. He pays more attention to your team than anyone else who doesn’t care for your team.

And I’m guessing he pays more attention to cyclone wrestling than a lot of your fans do. Lol And he HATES you guys.
I hate most of their fans. As far as the message board warriors, Tigerguy, Buffy, and the long departed Crabby are the only ones knowledgeable and civil.

Not the wrestlers.

Last edited:
Iowa will never start at a weight other than 125 unless it's out of their hands, no matter whether it could potentially benefit them or not.

And the coaches?

So, you hate the fans, the coaches, the program, school and town. But not the wrestlers?
The coaches work their butts off.

The issue is their jealousy because if you asked them...and they were 100% honest...they'll probably admit Iowa would be their dream job.
Just think of them as the junior varsity staff.

Metcalf and DSJ are very bitter.

Last edited:
The town's not that bad. They have a Texas Roadhouse. Always a plus.
Great campus, rest of Ames is ok. Daughter knows a few of the wrestlers and they sound like good dudes.

Their fans and the Metcalf thing is really funny because when he was at Iowa they thought he was the anti-Christ, hothead, slimeball... but when he went to Ames to coach he was all of a sudden a great guy.

Great campus, rest of Ames is ok. Daughter knows a few of the wrestlers and they sound like good dudes.

Their fans and the Metcalf thing is really funny because when he was at Iowa they thought he was the anti-Christ, hothead, slimeball... but when he went to Ames to coach he was all of a sudden a great guy.
95% of their fans are bandwagon type followers.

The dropoff in the program after Carl left was seismic. Fans left and never came back. Now that they are approaching relevance, they're getting some newbies.

But the telling statistic...last year in Hilton was basically a Iowa hone crowd.

Des Moines was worse. Contrast very Iowa fan in the building pulling for Gadsen (after the death of his father) with every ISU fan jerking themselves off over a clearly injured McD getting knocked out. Idiots.
Was there too, the cheers that went out after McD was knocked out were gross.

Iowa will never start at a weight other than 125 unless it's out of their hands, no matter whether it could potentially benefit them or not.
I suspect it rarely matters that much, and who am I to question it. But on the surface, that just sounds really stupid/stubborn. Not going to do it even if it benefits an individual or the team/dual??? What is their logic?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT