ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Ohio St Game Thread *****

agreed, but evidently McCaffery does not believe in weight training and core strength.
So you don't think Rebraca got bigger, (thicker) in the offseason? For all the work he's done, he's still an undersized post player. Sensebaugh is a true freshman. He didn't get beefed up in their weight room. We just don't have a bunch of big dudes. Kris is not a physical player. Most of the other guys are undersized except Josh, and he's obviously not playing. We lost that game at the end of the first half when Fran sat Kris the last five minutes and we didn't score the last four minutes. We didn't have a shooter on the floor, and our offense was stagnant....

So you don't think Rebraca got bigger, (thicker) in the offseason? For all the work he's done, he's still an undersized post player. Sensebaugh is a true freshman. He didn't get beefed up in their weight room. We just don't have a bunch of big dudes. Kris is not a physical player. Most of the other guys are undersized except Josh, and he's obviously not playing. We lost that game at the end of the first half when Fran sat Kris the last five minutes and we didn't score the last four minutes. We didn't have a shooter on the floor, and our offense was stagnant....
Rebraca did, but he is the exception just look at their upper bodies versus other teams (not just OSU).

This game shouldn't have surprised anyone.
1. Hawks momentum thrown off by Northwestern cancelling.
2. OSU on a losing streak and needing a win today badly.
3. Iowa is a poor defensive team.
4. Hawks shooting is inconsistent from game to game.
5. Fran is not a good in-game coach.

Especially today, limit turnovers, drive to the basket and rebound like crazy. Do those things and we win, never easy but it's the recipe for success
Way too many turnovers, got outrebounded and stopped attacking the rim on offense. We lose every time those things happen

Reactions: tweeterhawk
This game shouldn't have surprised anyone.
1. Hawks momentum thrown off by Northwestern cancelling.
2. OSU on a losing streak and needing a win today badly.
3. Iowa is a poor defensive team.
4. Hawks shooting is inconsistent from game to game.
5. Fran is not a good in-game coach.
It did not surprise me, but it does grow tiresome with Iowa BBall.

Rebraca did, but he is the exception just look at their upper bodies versus other teams (not just OSU).
I'm not disagreeing. Other then FR and Perkins we don't have a bunch of big dudes. The thing is has this been an issue the last few weeks when we won 4 in a row? No, because we shot well and won. Now we struggle to score on the road against a desperate team, and their all wimpy dudes. We're not as physical as Michigan, Rutgers or Indiana either, but we won all those by playing our game, and playing better defense and rebounding then we did today. Fran sat Kris and Sandfort too much at the end of the first half, (over 5 minutes) and we didn't score the last four. That was a killer...

I'm not disagreeing. Other then FR and Perkins we don't have a bunch of big dudes. The thing is has this been an issue the last few weeks when we won 4 in a row? No, because we shot well and won. Now we struggle to score on the road against a desperate team, and their all wimpy dudes. We're not as physical as Michigan, Rutgers or Indiana either, but we won all those by playing our game, and playing better defense and rebounding then we did today. Fran sat Kris and Sandfort too much at the end of the first half, (over 5 minutes) and we didn't score the last four. That was a killer...

Iowa did score in the last (4:37) with Kris out and cut the OSU lead to two at the half. That was the closest the game got since the 11:20 mark of the first half, which was OSU +11 at one point.

It was 35-31 when Kris went out at 4:37. The half ended 37-35 OSU.

Reactions: GeorgePeeples
It did not surprise me, but it does grow tiresome with Iowa BBall.
I hear ya. When I realized several years ago things will never be better under Fran, that Barta will never fire him, and that he will be the coach for a long time......I just stopped caring as much as I used to. Oh sure.....I still want and root for them to win, but I don't let (the all too frequent) games like today bother me.

I enjoy the wins, and shrug my shoulders at the losses.

I still go to a game or two, but Iowa basketball just doesn't excite me anymore.

Don't be a buyer of Iowa Basketball. Be a seller. Don't get invested in Hawkeye hoops the least little bit. You'll live a long and happy life.
Imagine where we’d be if we didn’t have the biggest comeback in carver history and have one of the most improbable comebacks in less than a minute as well. Those two things are far far from the norm.

I hear ya. When I realized several years ago things will never be better under Fran, that Barta will never fire him, and that he will be the coach for a long time......I just stopped caring as much as I used to. Oh sure.....I still want and root for them to win, but I don't let (the all too frequent) games like today bother me.

I enjoy the wins, and shrug my shoulders at the losses.

I still go to a game or two, but Iowa basketball just doesn't excite me anymore.
When’s football? Oh, wait…

• Haha
Reactions: CarterHall
Kansas lost by 20t at home.
ISU blew a 16 point lead and lost.
Hawks lost.
Just wasn't a good day for basketball blue bloods☺

Agreed Iowa doesn't have big/stronger dudes and the guys we do have tend to be below the rim players. However I don't think you can blame the loss on Kris Murray sitting too long in 1st half. Iowa was only down a bucket at the half. The defense in 2nd half was bad. You don't outscore a lot of teams giving up 93 points on the road.

Reactions: rrdd2021
OSU just much bigger and stronger, and officials were letting them play, so the Hawks were getting whipped around the basket. Likelele had an outstanding game for OSU. He threw Kris off his game, especially in the first half, and was doing whatever he wanted on the offensive end.

OSU is too good to keep losing, like they were, and the Hawks just weren't up to the challenge today. Tony and Connor did not have good games. There might be 8-9 teams around .500 in the B1G at the end of the season. I don't see anyone finishing within 4 games of Purdon't, if injuries don't hit them.

Reactions: kceasthawk
OSU just much bigger and stronger, and officials were letting them play, so the Hawks were getting whipped around the basket. Likelele had an outstanding game for OSU. He threw Kris off his game, especially in the first half, and was doing whatever he wanted on the offensive end.

OSU is too good to keep losing, like they were, and the Hawks just weren't up to the challenge today. Tony and Connor did not have good games. There might be 8-9 teams around .500 in the B1G at the end of the season. I don't see anyone finishing within 4 games of Purdon't, if injuries don't hit them.
This Iowa team is not very physical. But the Buckeyes probably committed three times as many fouls as were called. They were allowing holding, pushing and shoving, especially our two little guys, Desonte and Ahron.

Not why we lost but the constant grabbing and pushing really has gotten very out of control. Foul calls now are entirely arbitrary and capricious.

This Iowa team is not very physical. But the Buckeyes probably committed three times as many fouls as were called. They were allowing holding, pushing and shoving, especially our two little guys, Desonte and Ahron.

Not why we lost but the constant grabbing and pushing really has gotten very out of control. Foul calls now are entirely arbitrary and capricious.
They don't seem to have an issue calling fouls on Rebraca though. :mad:

I think that the crew just wasn't calling the bumps and hand checks that really should be called, and that definitely favored OSU. Like I said, Likelele was being very physical guarding Kris, and it really took him out of the game for most of the first half. Home cooking is typical in the B1G. It has been that way for decades.

DJ Carstensen's crew is usually pretty unbiased, and they are who I want to see if I am playing on the road in the B1G.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think that the crew just wasn't calling the bumps and hand checks that really should be called, and that definitely favored OSU. Like I said, Likelele was being very physical guarding Kris, and it really took him out of the game for most of the first half. Home cooking is typical in the B1G. It has been that way for decades.

DJ Carstensen's crew is usually pretty unbiased, and they are who I want to see if I am playing on the road in the B1G.
Iowa needs to learn to play through that, that is exactly what is needed come to tourney time

Iowa needs to learn to play through that, that is exactly what is needed come to tourney time
That's how Iowa, and the other lesser programs, get in deep foul trouble. How do you play through a guy holding your arm with two hands? Being shoved from behind while trying to dribble.

WTF was Fran thinking having TP and Ulis in at the same time, TO after after TO and no point production.
Yes, I like the way those two "conspired" to turn the ball over in the corner in the second half.

Ulis lost the ball along the baseline. But wait, the ball bounces straight to Perk. Oh hell, he fumbles the catch right out of bounds!

Total comedy of errors.

Buckeyes are a blueprint of how to build a team to beat Fran. Good news is we aren’t likely to see a team like OSU in the NCAAs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT