ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestling is Dead

Anything like this exist for Iowa? I can see every match result ever, every postseason placement ever, every wrestler’s record and most of their by-bout results, all coaching records, etc.

If something like this exists for Iowa, I’d love to know. If not, someone should create it.
And then there’s the kick ass up to the minute scoring table for nationals that everyone looks at.

Anything like this exist for Iowa? I can see every match result ever, every postseason placement ever, every wrestler’s record and most of their by-bout results, all coaching records, etc.

If something like this exists for Iowa, I’d love to know. If not, someone should create it.
yes there is and it's been there since before 2010

I don't disagree with one word of your post. I would add that I used to go to the Southern Scuffle when PSU used to go. The two guys that I remember being hero worshipped by kids due to their magnetic personalities and awesome wrestling skills were DT and Nickal. Both these guys would stand at the head of the autograph line and sign/take pictures until Cael would tell them to get ready for the next bout. That's the sort of guy that is more than half way to selling a kid on a program before they even start the sales pitch. Both are natural salesmen (recruiters). That said, both need more coaching experience. DT has his own clinic in M2 so he is building his disciplined approach to coaching, and doing it well. I honestly think he is the next great coach in D1 some day. Most may dismiss Bo but after his MMA career ends, I'd love to see him as an assistant working his way toward a head coach. He may be more raw than DT but has a lot of great qualities. I know he has gotten under the Iowa skin sometimes, but we all need to look past things and find the greater good. Bo is a great guy with an open personality and most of all is open to innovation. A fan base could do much worse.
DT will be the next PSU coach

No question, however I was lucid enough to hire MBA's 40 years my junior to take care of technology while I ran the capital markets group, which was my generations expertise.
Yours and my generation.

I'd settle for a coach Carl owns that can recruit and teach guys how to take and finish shots, be proficient in mat wrestling and scrambles.
never seen a team that failed to finish shots like we do. PS was even scoring on shots where we seemed to be in deep.
I think you guys are being too hard on the team.

According to the Des Moines Register, Ayala and Rathjen dominated, with six matches to go Iowa was in striking distance with winnable matches left, and had one or two of the Iowa veterans wrestled better and had Gabe been in the lineup, the dual could have turned out differently.

yeah and if we could actually finish take downs we would have scored more points.

Reactions: blcoach80
He always says the same stuff and we always have the same issues. He ain’t changing and neither will the results until we move on from Brands. Don’t get me wrong. He’s great at getting guys to be top 10 or so, which is something. But it doesn’t cut it at Iowa.

Sounds like "not changing" is the mens coach's Iowa Way.

Reactions: el dub and wahlberg
You can train *some* of what I listed if you start when they are 6 years old, way less likely to be effective when 18+. And some is just in your DNA...or not. But to be clear, I agree with your general 'training method matters' theme and have agreed with many of your posts - from the outside guessing in, changes are warranted. But know how to pick the ones that already have "it" and it will go far better. Wouldn't shock me to learn Kale has a neuropsych team evaluate potential recruit tape or have them take a 'psych test' first.
I respect your opinion for sure. But I really do believe you’d see massive gains in all the areas you listed by incorporating lots of play wrestling effectively and consistently and it doesn’t much matter what age you start to do that. That’s not to discount doing your due diligence in recruiting.

You can train *some* of what I listed if you start when they are 6 years old, way less likely to be effective when 18+. And some is just in your DNA...or not. But to be clear, I agree with your general 'training method matters' theme and have agreed with many of your posts - from the outside guessing in, changes are warranted. But know how to pick the ones that already have "it" and it will go far better. Wouldn't shock me to learn Kale has a neuropsych team evaluate potential recruit tape or have them take a 'psych test' first.
I think you’re watching too much sci fi, but they’re prolly getting there. One day…

Zalesky’s nosedive his last 3 seasons is something Brands has never come remotely close to approaching. They lost 16 duals for God’s sake. On top of that, there was no team to compete with that was remotely the dynasty PSU is now. OkState had a run but part of that was because Mocco saw how bad it was under Zalesky and took off.

Look, I get some of your points. You want Iowa first no matter what. But, I am telling you flat out that NO coach is directly competing with what PSU is right now. You can try to cast all the blame on the Brands, but the truth is, what should actually be happening is putting all the credit to PSU and their staff.

PSU has created something completely unprecedented and, again, NO COACH was stopping that. If there was some proven Coach out there that every indication points to better production than Brands, I wouldn’t fight the change. However, putting all the blame on Brands and firing him just because you want to is not remotely the answer…
In no way am I not giving credit to PSU and Sanderson and staff. What they have done is amazing. We agree on that.

But it sounds to me like you’re making excuses for Brands. “You can try to blame Brands but no coach is competing with PSU.” Regardless of how great PSU is, Iowa’s head coach should absolutely be blamed for not figuring it out.

We don’t know if another coach can compete with PSU if given the reigns as Iowa’s head coach. We know Brands hasn’t been able to. Therefore, the solution is not to stick with Brands. What’s your solution? Wait until Sanderson retires?

Iowa wrestling is not dead, they’re just not the top dogs at the moment. But being 2?5? Etc is doing rather well. Oklahoma State and Iowa have spent a lot of time at number one and are still doing rather well.

In no way am I not giving credit to PSU and Sanderson and staff. What they have done is amazing. We agree on that.

But it sounds to me like you’re making excuses for Brands. “You can try to blame Brands but no coach is competing with PSU.” Regardless of how great PSU is, Iowa’s head coach should absolutely be blamed for not figuring it out.

We don’t know if another coach can compete with PSU if given the reigns as Iowa’s head coach. We know Brands hasn’t been able to. Therefore, the solution is not to stick with Brands. What’s your solution? Wait until Sanderson retires?
Straight forward answer? I really don’t think ANYONE on here has stated a realistic solution and I am truly not sure what that currently is…Obviously recruit much better is a big deal, but if you go back and look at it since Kemerer, no team is really consistently recruiting better, other than PSU.

I am open to trying to switch up the staff by adding someone like Cox and/or Nolf, but I don’t really see any of the other names mentioned showing much interest in being assistants right now and I am 100% not willing to just broom Brands and bring one of them in to take over just because they are the new big names in the sport…

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Straight forward answer? I really don’t think ANYONE on here has stated a realistic solution and I am truly not sure what that currently is…Obviously recruit much better is a big deal, but if you go back and look at it since Kemerer, no team is really consistently recruiting better, other than PSU.

I am open to trying to switch up the staff by adding someone like Cox and/or Nolf, but I don’t really see any of the other names mentioned showing much interest in being assistants right now and I am 100% not willing to just broom Brands and bring one of them in to take over just because they are the new big names in the sport…
Yeah, I understand it’s risky. But we’ve already tried changing assistants several times, with no change in results. I think you gotta risk it to get the biscuit.

Reactions: MVPFAN

Why should we be comparing the Hawk program to every program other than PS? Should we be ok being like these other programs? Do they have the Iowa fanbase, the Iowa tradition, the Iowa facilities? And yes, you did just compare our recruiting to everyone else. Might just be me but I’m not ok with recruiting like everyone else. I expect more.

The product on the mat has become less and less entertaining for Iowa as well minus a few exceptions.

Why should we be comparing the Hawk program to every program other than PS? Should we be ok being like these other programs? Do they have the Iowa fanbase, the Iowa tradition, the Iowa facilities? And yes, you did just compare our recruiting to everyone else. Might just be me but I’m not ok with recruiting like everyone else. I expect more.
lol, you seem to have some issues with reading comprehension. I SPECIFICALLY compare Iowa recruiting to “everyone else” because I clearly said Iowa IS recruiting BETTER than everyone else, but PSU.

Look, PSU is absolutely the measuring stick, but they are landing recruits at an unprecedented level. Here is another analogy(diving)and the real reason I am butting my head back at those of you going after Brands:

Iowa is consistently scoring around a 9 performing the most difficult rating dives. tOSU has had a diver or 2 around 9, but quite a few at much less. Michigan has done it once, but most dives are even worse than tOSU. OkState is the only other to perform a 9 and it has been quite a while since with a considerable downward trend. After that Cornell is the only other within range, but they still haven’t had a single 9 score with a bunch of 8.5-8.9s.

Now the real part of the analogy: PSU has only had 2 dives so far under 9 and 1 of them was about 8.9. Everything else has basically been 9.5 and above.

I emphasize that analogy because the current landscape makes it nearly impossible for two teams to consistently score 9.5+ on that dive.

Simply put, I do think Iowa can improve, but PsU needs to fall back some for ANY program with ANY other coach to consistently keep pace…

lol, you seem to have some issues with reading comprehension. I SPECIFICALLY compare Iowa recruiting to “everyone else” because I clearly said Iowa IS recruiting BETTER than everyone else, but PSU.

Look, PSU is absolutely the measuring stick, but they are landing recruits at an unprecedented level. Here is another analogy(diving)and the real reason I am butting my head back at those of you going after Brands:

Iowa is consistently scoring around a 9 performing the most difficult rating dives. tOSU has had a diver or 2 around 9, but quite a few at much less. Michigan has done it once, but most dives are even worse than tOSU. OkState is the only other to perform a 9 and it has been quite a while since with a considerable downward trend. After that Cornell is the only other within range, but they still haven’t had a single 9 score with a bunch of 8.5-8.9s.

Now the real part of the analogy: PSU has only had 2 dives so far under 9 and 1 of them was about 8.9. Everything else has basically been 9.5 and above.

I emphasize that analogy because the current landscape makes it nearly impossible for two teams to consistently score 9.5+ on that dive.

Simply put, I do think Iowa can improve, but PsU needs to fall back some for ANY program with ANY other coach to consistently keep pace…
Yeah, but those programs are coming in with 5s and getting to 8s while Iowa comes in with 8.5s and getting 9s. If we change to a coach consistently taking 5s and making 8s, where might that coach take 8.5s?

I’m using loose numbers and exaggerating a bit, but I think you can understand the point.

He does seem to be on the rise. Smart hire by OKST
What was his best finish at UNC? He had considerable resources there and didn’t ever seem to do much. His name as a successor to Tom is borderline comical with his track record.

I hate diving. Adds a half hour to a swim meet. And then the swimmers have to warm up again.

Yeah, but those programs are coming in with 5s and getting to 8s while Iowa comes in with 8.5s and getting 9s. If we change to a coach consistently taking 5s and making 8s, where might that coach take 8.5s?

I’m using loose numbers and exaggerating a bit, but I think you can understand the point.
The problem is there is only one Sanderson-Cunningham combination and they happen to be at inarguably the best location, with by far the most funding and have now created an RTC that is also at unprecedented levels.

Unless Iowa high school wrestling drastically improves, As great as Iowa has been and it admittedly has the strongest fanbase in wrestling, what PSU has right now is NOT possible at Iowa. Even under Gable, they weren’t doing the things with the funding that PSU has and didn’t have to battle over top recruits, because the “right fit” was possible to find before social media.

The only other program I could see having all the necessary things to compete with PSU is tOSU, but it seems to me that Ohio High School wrestling has dipped a bit. With DT being an Ohio guy, I could see him maybe challenging PSU if he went all in and could land ever top Ohio guy while still landing top national guys.

I hate diving. Adds a half hour to a swim meet. And then the swimmers have to warm up again.
I don’t care much to watch it either. But, it’s a great analogy, because it not only gives scores, but it puts a ceiling on scoring based on the difficulty of the dive.

My biggest area of contention with many on here is they are so focused on Iowa being behind PSU that I think many do not realize just how difficult it is to do what PSU is currently doing.

Simply put I don’t think there is a diver out there that can do what PSU is consistently doing. A couple could maybe do the dive 1 or 2 time out of 10 like Brands has, but PSU is basically doing it 8 out of 10 times!

The problem is there is only one Sanderson-Cunningham combination and they happen to be at inarguably the best location, with by far the most funding and have now created an RTC that is also at unprecedented levels.

Unless Iowa high school wrestling drastically improves, As great as Iowa has been and it admittedly has the strongest fanbase in wrestling, what PSU has right now is NOT possible at Iowa. Even under Gable, they weren’t doing the things with the funding that PSU has and didn’t have to battle over top recruits, because the “right fit” was possible to find before social media.

The only other program I could see having all the necessary things to compete with PSU is tOSU, but it seems to me that Ohio High School wrestling has dipped a bit. With DT being an Ohio guy, I could see him maybe challenging PSU if he went all in and could land ever top Ohio guy while still landing top national guys.
Sounds a bit defeatist. I think we gotta try. We’ve tried with Brands. Let’s try with someone else.

What was his best finish at UNC? He had considerable resources there and didn’t ever seem to do much. His name as a successor to Tom is borderline comical with his track record.
You don’t have to like every name. I listed 13 for ya.

Sounds a bit defeatist. I think we gotta try. We’ve tried with Brands. Let’s try with someone else.
There is a distinct difference between defeatism and realism. I simply think Brands is still the best option for now and am not a fan of the “grass is greener on the other side” mentality. Because, most of the time it isn’t and the current grass is still greener than everyone else but 1…

Reactions: grapplefann
never seen a team that failed to finish shots like we do. PS was even scoring on shots where we seemed to be in deep.

yeah and if we could actually finish take downs we would have scored more points.

In addition to not finishing, Iowa fails to change levels for shooting.

Unless it's Real Woods who hops down to his knee and then hops up.

Reactions: Fan In Black
that is entirely not true. one of the better thing cael does is know who not to recruit just because they have a single digit next to their name.
One case that comes to mind is Chance. Cael got a bad vibe during a recruiting visit and stopped the recruiting process. Stopping a process after investing time or money into it is actually the hardest thing to do in any business, but Cael is good at managing his time and resources for maximum result.

Last edited:
There is a distinct difference between defeatism and realism. I simply think Brands is still the best option for now and am not a fan of the “grass is greener on the other side” mentality. Because, most of the time it isn’t and the current grass is still greener than everyone else but 1…
But is Brands even trying anymore? It’s been obvious that we lack good coaching at the upper weights. We’ve had some great recruits, but the last champ was who? Jay Borschel 15 years ago?

People have been bringing this up for years and scolded for it because M* is such a good recruiter, which is debatable. We are getting our asses kicked in recruiting every year, with the exception of a 1-2 years where I think we benefited much more from Jody Strittmatter being the coach than from Ryan M*’s recruiting prowess. We wouldn’t even be top 5 if it wasn’t for the transfer portal.

Then of course, some pro-Brands Iowa fans will shit on this kind of criticism and say that the Brands have tried to bring in different guys, but no one is willing. How can that be? To me that is the biggest indictment of Brands lack of leadership. Iowa is a premier program with the strongest fan following in the sport . A few years here would look good on any coaches resume. Yet, no one wants to be in the Iowa room? Is it Brand’s lack of professionalism that has led to such poor networking or is he less interested in diversity of thought, and more interested in hiring his own cult followers who will do it his way?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT