ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Session 3 Thread

Not looking like the finalist some predicted. Wonder if he is actually hurt or if it is a mental thing.

He is a boy in a man’s weight class. Not too many freshman dominating the upper weights.

The transition will take time. The baby fat needs to go, the fast twitch muscles need to develop, the getting knocked down and getting up has to be perfected.

I don’t think he is the Uber recruit everyone talked about on this board, but Damien Hahn was considered a “disappointment” because he was so hyped. If you got a Damien Hahn career out of warner, you’d be ecstatic, no? Warner isn’t what Hahn was, but the expectations are the same or higher and that’s odd.

I for one don’t think he is much more than a 2xx AA. In my opinion, a lot of his younger success came because he was a better athlete than the competition. That’s a lot harder in college, especially at the upper weights.

Realistically he needs to grow up, as almost everyone at this weight does when they enter the scene before any of us should talk. That won’t happen though, and I’ll be the first to jump in. :)

He is a boy in a man’s weight class. Not too many freshman dominating the upper weights.

The transition will take time. The baby fat needs to go, the fast twitch muscles need to develop, the getting knocked down and getting up has to be perfected.

I don’t think he is the Uber recruit everyone talked about on this board, but Damien Hahn was considered a “disappointment” because he was so hyped. If you got a Damien Hahn career out of warner, you’d be ecstatic, no? Warner isn’t what Hahn was, but the expectations are the same or higher and that’s odd.

I for one don’t think he is much more than a 2xx AA. In my opinion, a lot of his younger success came because he was a better athlete than the competition. That’s a lot harder in college, especially at the upper weights.

Realistically he needs to grow up, as almost everyone at this weight does when they enter the scene before any of us should talk. That won’t happen though, and I’ll be the first to jump in. :)
He was the #8 overall recruit and #1 195 lber. And a Cadet World Bronze Medalist. A 2x All-American isn't going to cut it with those credentials, no matter your weight class. He already had a year in redshirt to boot, and just got destroyed by a true freshman who can't sniff the credentials Warner has.(Nathan Burak was a 3 time All-American, that should give you some perspective on what is expected from a blue-chipper like Warner. Burak was a little to no-chipper).

I didn't and don't expect a Title out of him this year, but I for damn sure would have expected him to be in the conversation from next year on, and that's looking pretty slim at this point. We'll see how it plays out, but he's got a LONG way to go as of today.

Glory will never beat Lee. Jesus christ overreaction. Coke nationals it will be a tech fall.
One thing for certain. Unlike Bressers & Nato's wins over Lee, neither were dominant and were tight. Those 2 guys that beat SL didnt give him the business the way Glory did. 2 NFs and rode him big time. Any SL fan saying they werent the least bit nervous that he was in some trouble, especially when Glory locked up the cradle, is full of it. Today was SL's first match where he was worked over in 2 of 3 periods.

That doesnt mean GLory wil ever bear SL. Premising that with GLory has to get the TD in the 1st or avoid being taken down is one thing, doing it another. Thats 2 matches Glory got taken to the woodshed in the 1st period, so he hasnt figured it out yet. Odds arent great he ever will but Glory has certainly become a legit threat

Reactions: Huck
Warner was going to give up 4 there when he went to his back, pretty surprised the ref stopped that action. Almost cost Army the match that he rightfully had won. Warner is an absolute head case who seems to wrestle not to lose rather than to win. I think the competition at this level and the resistance he is facing is messing with his head big time.

Bingo on wrestling not to lose. Pissed away the first period, and didn't seem to take a legit shot the whole match until 15 seconds were left. Where's the Warner who shot and scored repeatedly on Miklus last year? Cass lost twice, but he wrestled with abandon. If I were a coach, I'd rather have the burden of throttling an overly reckless guy down than having to throttle a hesitant and uncertain guy up.

One thing for certain. Unlike Bressers & Nato's wins over Lee, neither were dominant and were tight. Those 2 guys that beat SL didnt give him the business the way Glory did. 2 NFs and rode him big time. Any SL fan saying they werent the least bit nervous that he was in some trouble, especially when Glory locked up the cradle, is full of it. Today was SL's first match where he was worked over in 2 of 3 periods.

That doesnt mean GLory wil ever bear SL. Premising that with GLory has to get the TD in the 1st or avoid being taken down is one thing, doing it another. Thats 2 matches Glory got taken to the woodshed in the 1st period, so he hasnt figured it out yet. Odds arent great he ever will but Glory has certainly become a legit threat

Lee turtles up when he’s handefighting on bottom. Usually works, but it leaves him open for cradles. Not worried about him, if he has a weakness he’ll work on it and stay ahead of the competition. I was nervous though and that’s why he needs to become a complete wrestler and that means his bottom game against the top competitors.

Edit: Like I said, the one trick pony isn’t going to work if you can’t get out from bottom or catch an arm on top. He needs a shot if AD blood in him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT