ADVERTISEMENT

Mods mind explaining why homophobic slurs against posters is ok behavior on here?

Agree he should at least have had a time out.

Side note: I thought queer was ok to say nowadays. Or is that only ok for LBGTQ+ people to say? Context it’s used? Kind of like the N word?

Serious question.
Imo context definitely matters. It's different when a person identities themselves as queer than if someone calls someone else a "Marxist queer" as in this case. Although the poster in question who said it has no clue what Marxism even is but that's neither here nor there.

Many of us have pointed it out in multiple ways. My comment in this thread got deleted, and it did not contain anything like the slurs pointed out in the OP. And yet the mods have yet to make a comment in this thread about why hate speech is tolerated on this forum, yet posts questioning that are ignored or deleted.

Political differences are one thing. Hate speech should never be tolerated on this board.
Hate speech is tolerated in this country. Just look at all the protests on the news these days. Hell, some of these idiots are chanting “we are Hamas”.

Things learned in this thread:

1) OP derisively calls everyone who refuses to gargle Biden’s balls a ‘MAGAt’ but is seriously offended by ‘fggot’? Got it! Makes total sense.

2) In order for the Ignore function to be utilized properly one must announce to the board that it’s been enabled. Kinda like announcing to your golfing foursome that you’re hitting a provisional.

3) Libs long for the days when they could go crying to the mods and get posters banned for daring to have a difference of opinion. 😢

I got a warning for talking about someone’s mental illness when it comes to having their threads at the top of certain forums. There is definitely no consistency to the “moderation.”

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I got a warning for talking about someone’s mental illness when it comes to having their threads at the top of certain forums. There is definitely no consistency to the “moderation.”
Are you complaining that you got warned for something that certainly sounds like bad behavior, or that others (as far as you know) didn't get warned?

Things learned in this thread:

1) OP derisively calls everyone who refuses to gargle Biden’s balls a ‘MAGAt’ but is seriously offended by ‘fggot’? Got it! Makes total sense.

2) In order for the Ignore function to be utilized properly one must announce to the board that it’s been enabled. Kinda like announcing to your golfing foursome that you’re hitting a provisional.

3) Libs long for the days when they could go crying to the mods and get posters banned for daring to have a difference of opinion. 😢
I've been put on time out twice with no explanation. So yes, it is definitely fair for me to question why I can be temp banned for MAGAt, or whatever reason the mods decided was bannable for that day, but posters can throw around homophobic slurs with impunity.

Either treat everyone the same or let this place be the wild west. This favoritism for far right posters is ridiculous.

And you completely made up your third point.

Here's my solution. Either let this place be a free for all, which I'm fine with. Or moderate it evenly. Because we clearly don't have even moderation around here.
An easy fix would be to just leave the board. Nobody is forcing you to stay.

You do realize you post some very offensive posts, especially offensive to straight, white, Christians, who happen to be conservative in their political views. Also calling our female Governor some very nasty names.

Hate speech is tolerated in this country. Just look at all the protests on the news these days. Hell, some of these idiots are chanting “we are Hamas”.
Hate speech is tolerated if you choose to accept it, or you choose to BoTh SIdEs!

• Haha
Reactions: Jan Itor
2) In order for the Ignore function to be utilized properly one must announce to the board that it’s been enabled.
That's not a bad thought.

In a similar vein, if someone is banned, that should be announced. And the reasons given.

Maybe offending posts could be stamped - as opposed to being deleted or whatever happens now. Let the rest of us see what triggers the mods.

3975120-49261-grunge-warning-stamp.jpg

Reactions: sober_teacher
Looks like HORT has a new tough guy handle.
Probably just someone who forgot their handle, or a long time lurker who decided he's sick of having all the gay stuff crammed down his throat. He can only be pushed so far, folks.

The inconsistency, I thought that was pretty obvious.
So you're OK either way, if it's consistent?

I can see that, but I'd go further. I'd rather have consistency against personal attacks than consistency that allows personal attacks.

Just out of curiosity, did your warning disincline you from attacking people's sanity?

Many of us have pointed it out in multiple ways. My comment in this thread got deleted, and it did not contain anything like the slurs pointed out in the OP. And yet the mods have yet to make a comment in this thread about why hate speech is tolerated on this forum, yet posts questioning that are ignored or deleted.

Political differences are one thing. Hate speech should never be tolerated on this board.
Let's be honest, it's one mod doing all of this. The Bat signal goes up the second someone says the wrong thing about him, or something he holds dear. The views on race, gender, or sexuality he holds are accepted and allowed to fester in anonymity.

So you're OK either way, if it's consistent?

I can see that, but I'd go further. I'd rather have consistency against personal attacks than consistency that allows personal attacks.

Just out of curiosity, did your warning disincline you from attacking people's sanity?
I just want consistency.
Yes, I’ll be a little more careful when talking about certain people’s mental issues.

Let's be honest, it's one mod doing all of this. The Bat signal goes up the second someone says the wrong thing about him, or something he holds dear. The views on race, gender, or sexuality he holds are accepted and allowed to fester in anonymity.
The previous mods were so left leaning this board just went around in circles.

My advice to Huey is to find out how to use the ignore button and tone down his own posts.

I've never seen anyone call Huey the f word and I see most of the dramatic exchanges that taken place thanks to my "insomnia". Did the mods maybe delete those comments too? Are they still available to see on the forum today? The fact that the mods let this convo go on is actually quite rare by today's internet standards. Do you think a reddit mod would allow this topic to stay online? They'd ban Huey from the entire platform for posting a complaint like this.
Wait. This is your @Scruddy handle. Aren't reasonable comments supposed to go with some other handle?

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Last time I was banned was for simply mentioning the mods name in a post.

I've been put on time out twice with no explanation. So yes, it is definitely fair for me to question why I can be temp banned for MAGAt, or whatever reason the mods decided was bannable for that day, but posters can throw around homophobic slurs with impunity.

Either treat everyone the same or let this place be the wild west. This favoritism for far right posters is ridiculous.

And you completely made up your third point.
People would rather argue with and insult each other rather ignore them. There should be no need for mods if the thin-skinned among us would just use that button.

I try to keep my insults fairly lame; clown, tool, lib, etc. Words like MAGAt and fggot both seem more dehumanizing than is needed but I agree you don’t deserve a timeout if others don’t get the same.

And to claim Kakert wasn’t a lib who often silenced cons - if only temporarily - is a bit disingenuous. The scales have been tipped in the opposite direction and some aren’t very happy about it. 🤷‍♂️

Huey and chis are still here after being abusive to other posters. They are somewhat recently back from 7 day suspensions each. I don't know the history of every poster here but I imagine the mods did the exact same to the posters insulting Huey. They deleted the content at minimum. Do you think perma bans should happen quicker? If that's the case the OP is out of here too so keep that in mind before you answer.
Lol. Of course you "both sides" it. Huey and Chis have never used offensive slurs that I've seen. Unless you don't like chis' MAGA=Taliban line.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Dynamite drop in, Monty. Entirely relevant to this thread. First Amendment doesn't apply to a private message board. But hey, you managed to shoe horn a both sides adjacent in there. Never change.

People would rather argue with and insult each other rather ignore them. There should be no need for mods if the thin-skinned among us would just use that button.
Truth.

I liked it better when ignoring someone didn't remove their post but only hid the content of that post. You could then click it if you wanted to see it.

Can we bring that back?

I try to keep my insults fairly lame; clown, tool, lib, etc. Words like MAGAt and fggot both seem more dehumanizing than is needed but I agree you don’t deserve a timeout if others don’t get the same.

And to claim Kakert wasn’t a lib who often silenced cons - if only temporarily - is a bit disingenuous. The scales have been tipped in the opposite direction and some aren’t very happy about it. 🤷‍♂️
I'm fine with just using the ignore button system. Let this place operate on a purely free market basis. You post something good, you get likes. You post something dumb, you get ignored. But this biased mod stuff tipping the scales has got to go.

Dynamite drop in, Monty. Entirely relevant to this thread. First Amendment doesn't apply to a private message board. But hey, you managed to shoe horn a both sides adjacent in there. Never change.
Yea, you’re not an asshole at all..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT