ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Staff Member Says Loss to Iowa was Bull-

Iowa is to neb what isu is to Iowa. Glad you enjoyed your super bowl, I'm sure there was a ring ceremony to celebrate. Iowa will occasionally beat neb just like isu rises up once in a while and beats the vaunted hawks. Keep chasing big bro only 15 or so more wins will even the series. Your continued obsession with all things neb football is noted. Carry on.

tumblr_ms1gjlz1Pc1ru3zogo1_250.gif

H8full, let's face it, the start of 2016 had Huskers (both fans and those inside the program itself) thinking that Nebraska was headed back towards its "rightful" place within college football.

Nebraska could shrug off the Wisconsin loss, because they hung in and it was a close loss on the road (unlike previous drubbings at the hand of Wisconsin). They could accept the OSU loss, because OSU just has a different level of talent. But Nebraska thought that they had turned the corner and could, at a minimum, compete with everyone in the West.

The Iowa loss changed the narrative. From your perspective, it was unexpected and brutal. My co-workers who are Nebraska fans conceded going into the game that a loss was possible. Tommy was hurt, etc. But they did not see a blowout coming.

The Iowa loss re-started the questioning of whether Nebraska had really made significant steps forward in 2016, or whether they are still a mid-level B1G West program. That isn't an Iowa fan talking--that was clear to listening to Nebraska fans sounding off on ESPN radio out of Omaha.

Devaney's comments, along with those of Nate Gerry, demonstrate that even those inside the Nebraska program believed that the program had arrived back in its "rightful" place last year going into the Iowa game. After that game, though, the only way that narrative works is if you dismiss the Iowa game as a fluke.

So, congratulations, your "Super Bowl" rationalization is at least slightly better than Devaney's and Gerry's "fluke" rationalization. It at least gives some credit to the fact that Iowa played well.

H8full, let's face it, the start of 2016 had Huskers (both fans and those inside the program itself) thinking that Nebraska was headed back towards its "rightful" place within college football.

Nebraska could shrug off the Wisconsin loss, because they hung in and it was a close loss on the road (unlike previous drubbings at the hand of Wisconsin). They could accept the OSU loss, because OSU just has a different level of talent. But Nebraska thought that they had turned the corner and could, at a minimum, compete with everyone in the West.

The Iowa loss changed the narrative. From your perspective, it was unexpected and brutal. My co-workers who are Nebraska fans conceded going into the game that a loss was possible. Tommy was hurt, etc. But they did not see a blowout coming.

The Iowa loss re-started the questioning of whether Nebraska had really made significant steps forward in 2016, or whether they are still a mid-level B1G West program. That isn't an Iowa fan talking--that was clear to listening to Nebraska fans sounding off on ESPN radio out of Omaha.

Devaney's comments, along with those of Nate Gerry, demonstrate that even those inside the Nebraska program believed that the program had arrived back in its "rightful" place last year going into the Iowa game. After that game, though, the only way that narrative works is if you dismiss the Iowa game as a fluke.

So, congratulations, your "Super Bowl" rationalization is at least slightly better than Devaney's and Gerry's "fluke" rationalization. It at least gives some credit to the fact that Iowa played well.

You hit the nail on the head with the narrative business. Everything with Nebraska and its fan base is about the narrative. How about you just let what happens on the field speak for itself. When Nebraska wins the division again (they will win one in the near future I think) the "narrative" coming from Omaha will be the program has reasserted itself among its rightful place. Perhaps, but more likely it will just be the team was better than its other West division opponents that year. And that the whole thing starts over the following year, with everyone 0-0 and no one pre-enshrined to win.

The Huskers recruit better -- consistently -- than the other teams in the West. But their classes aren't better than Iowa and Wisconsin's classes on the order of magnitude that OSU and Michigan are. The talent "gap" between Nebraska and Iowa/Wisconsin isn't so great that the difference can't be made up through development and coaching. The sooner Nebraska stops treating Iowa and Wisconsin as beneath them, the sooner the Huskers will start winning more games against those teams.

Reactions: Thefisherhawk
You've never read anything from me stating anything other than Iowas best run is statistically the same as nebs worst.

Once again, once you've resorted to name calling you've lost the argument.
Name calling? Nebby is short for Nebraska...

All that matters are conference titles and making it to the CFB playoff, Iowa will get the respect it's fan base so desperately craves when they can do either of those, and no, close is not good enough.

Hilarious how much some of care what neb is doing and saying.

It's easy to tell by the incoherence of your post that you are intoxicated, please sober up before you drive anywhere.

Most neb fans respect what Iowa and Wisconsin do in football and know that the B1G west will be between Iowa, neb and Wisconsin most years, of course, the lack of respect the other way is why most neb fans cannot tolerate most IA fans.

OT, what's up with the "native" Iowa bumper stickers?
This thread is about a nebby staff member crying that they are better than Iowa after getting bitch slapped by Iowa. Then you cry about a "lack of respect"? Ok.....

Are they making nebraska naive plates yet?

Reactions: millah_22
This thread is about a nebby staff member crying that they are better than Iowa after getting bitch slapped by Iowa. Then you cry about a "lack of respect"? Ok.....

Are they making nebraska naive plates yet?
You need to read more carefully, neb and neb fan does not need nor want respect from hawk fan. It is hawk fans incessant need to be respected by CFB that is obvious. It will come when Iowa wins a conference title and makes the playoff until then your program is just a mediocre CFB program like neb without the history of greatness.

You need to read more carefully, neb and neb fan does not need nor want respect from hawk fan. It is hawk fans incessant need to be respected by CFB that is obvious. It will come when Iowa wins a conference title and makes the playoff until then your program is just a mediocre CFB program like neb without the history of greatness.
.......and without the uneducated, wanabe fans. Those who know CFB respect the Iowa program much more than the Nebraska program. Period. Carry on.

Iowa is to neb what isu is to Iowa. Glad you enjoyed your super bowl, I'm sure there was a ring ceremony to celebrate. Iowa will occasionally beat neb just like isu rises up once in a while and beats the vaunted hawks. Keep chasing big bro only 15 or so more wins will even the series. Your continued obsession with all things neb football is noted. Carry on.
Since Neb has joined the B1G, Iowa has outscored them in head to head matchups 154-117. In that same timeframe, Iowa has outscored Iowa State 164-103... In reality, you're just another Iowa State on our schedule.

All that matters are conference titles and making it to the CFB playoff, Iowa will get the respect it's fan base so desperately craves when they can do either of those, and no, close is not good enough.

Funny you say those 2 things to get respect are to play in CFB playoff and win conference titles. But Nebby has done either of those 2 things this century. Fact is Iowa has 2 conference titles since Nebraska's last one and have come a heck of a lot closer to CFB playoff then Nebraksa ever has. Heck it's been 13 years since you guys lost fewer than 4 games. 15 years since you played in a major bowl game yet you think your program has respect. Denial is a funny thing. As for attention to ones program yes message boards talk year long but you don't see anyone from Iowa's staff talking about Nebraska game in February or whining about the games they lost to them 3 months later.

As for your broken record for digs on Iowa's rings they were for winning West Division and put Rose Bowl emblem on since they played in the game. Did not just get rings just for making the game and I know for a fact Nebraksa gave it's players rings for winning the division one time 5 years ago or so when they gave up 70 to Wisconsin in title game.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8

tumblr_nqg9nwfHOH1uznv1co1_400.gif

I sort of agree. Nebraska doesn't want respect or validation from Iowa fans. Nebraska (program and fans) wants validation from the college football world--"CFB" as you refer to it--that it is back in its "rightful" place. Nebraska's problem is that it can't be respected and admired by the college football world when it is losing to Iowa by 30. Hence, the effort to rationalize that outcome.

Like CJ Beathard was 100%. Iowa had plenty of injuries themselves. Nebraska is just like Donald Trump. It's rigged, it's fake, it's so unfair, wah wah wah wah. Who cares WTF they think. The only purpose these threads serve is to give to Nebraska fans looking to feel important.

Iowa fans are all too happy to oblige them.
Big difference between Trump and the bug eaters is that the Donald is a winner.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Read carefully and slowly, neb does not consider Wisconsin beneath them. Eventually it will click. Congrats on Iowas 2016 win, have the rings been handed out yet?

I slowly and carefully read your b.s. statement. I'm glad YOU speak for Nebraska fans. You might want to have a chat with the several that I know who think they are above most every team in the Big Ten. I don't think they received your memo.

What Nebraska has accomplished against Iowa the last four years is exactly on par with Iowa States accomplishments. THAT is where your program is. Deal with that reality.

I will not only enjoy the 2016 win, I will also be enjoying the last three out of four wins. I am still enjoying the 21 point blowout in Lincoln in 2013. Now that I think about it, Iowa beating down Nebraska is becoming a trend.

Kansas state called they want their non conference schedule back.

Talk about lame comebacks from the obsessed Husker troll on an Iowa board in January. Was this suppose to be funny? And for the another Husker thread. This may surprise you it's the exact same thread you've had half the post in. You aren't the coldest beer in the fridge are you?

I slowly and carefully read your b.s. statement. I'm glad YOU speak for Nebraska fans. You might want to have a chat with the several that I know who think they are above most every team in the Big Ten. I don't think they received your memo.

What Nebraska has accomplished against Iowa the last four years is exactly on par with Iowa States accomplishments. THAT is where your program is. Deal with that reality.

I will not only enjoy the 2016 win, I will also be enjoying the last three out of four wins. I am still enjoying the 21 point blowout in Lincoln in 2013. Now that I think about it, Iowa beating down Nebraska is becoming a trend.
why did you go back three years a not since Nebraska joined the conference? Just curious.

why did you go back three years a not since Nebraska joined the conference? Just curious.

Relevant and recent history. When you're looking for a recent trend and trying to define where Nebraska is in the now, this is how you go about it. Going on and on about the 90's, Lawrence Phillips, Tom Osbourne, blah, blah, blah doesn't assess where your football program is now.

Actually, for the reading impaired, I went back 4 years. I understand it's Nebraska, reading and math is hard.

Read carefully and slowly, neb does not consider Wisconsin beneath them. Eventually it will click. Congrats on Iowas 2016 win, have the rings been handed out yet?
No, but the guys are still wearing the ones they got for winning the west last year. Your guys?????

Iowa can always lean on the fact that they are nationally respected in wrassling.
Ooohhh, burn. Wait, Nebraska is looking up at Iowa in wrestling, too. Even your coaches and wrestlers try to troll Iowa is wrestling.

So if there isn't a big gap in talent (I don't think there is) then isn't this a big slap in the face to their entire coaching staff? I get the whole "Tommy was hurt" argument, but the last time I checked, he didn't play defense.

Last I checked Tommy didn't play much offense either

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT