ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official AP #26 IOWA (20-9) vs AP #1 UConn (26-1) Sweet 16 Game Thread*****

There can be contact without a foul. An offensive player can't just dribble into a defender and expect a call. This your first time watching ball? Man I figured most would be bashing Clark for her giving up on the play, but we actually have people thinking there was a foul. Crazy!

Just reading through the thread and after reading your posts that you would come up with the "this your first time watching ball?" remark is not surprising. That was a foul, had nothing to do with the outcome, but it was a foul on UConn.

Reactions: birthhawk
The line was UCONN -15.5
I'm guessing they didn't make a lot of money off of people betting Iowa to cover.......

That line meant a few things:

- they don't care about women's hoops enough to set a tougher line
- they don't get enough action on the game to drive the line one way or the other
- or if they were really stupid, perhaps they thought they could entice some gullible gambling addicts to throw money on Iowa to cover, which like I said, probably didn't happen......

Why shoot a late 3 and take a charge? Did UConn know I bet in game at 16?
They knew that winning by anything less than 20 would've been an absolutely shameful embarrassment for their program. Sad that they had to push for those final few points late to avoid that shame.

Starting to see the cracks already......

So college football is relatively pointless then? I'd argue it's more fun to watch but similarly pointless
Yep pretty much. I haven’t watched a full college football game in probably 3 years. Used to love watching sports but outside of college basketball, they’ve all lost most of their allure. Patriots/tom brady in nfl, alabama/osu/clemson in football, nba sucks regardless but all the stars moving to the same teams has made it even more insufferable! I do love watching golf, every man for himself, has superstars but every week pretty much everybody in the field has a chance to win.

Not to get too far off-topic, you see the cinderella runs in the men's basketball tournament, but not so much in the women's basketball tournament, and always wondered which one a 8 to 16 team college football playoff would be like. Something tells me it would be more like the women's tournament.

Reactions: 24 so far
The line was UCONN -15.5
I think I saw that UConn won on average of 32 points, so figured Iowa would be a bit better than that, but still smoked like the 99% of teams they've played in the last 15-20 years.

Iowa played OK I thought, kind of unraveled late with a couple of terrible turnovers girls just fumbled out of bounds, and I shut it off at that point.

Just reading through the thread and after reading your posts that you would come up with the "this your first time watching ball?" remark is not surprising. That was a foul, had nothing to do with the outcome, but it was a foul on UConn.

I guess this is my first time watching women's ball in a while, perhaps it's a foul in women's. Not even close to a foul in men's.

I think I saw that UConn won on average of 32 points, so figured Iowa would be a bit better than that, but still smoked like the 99% of teams they've played in the last 15-20 years.

Iowa played OK I thought, kind of unraveled late with a couple of terrible turnovers girls just fumbled out of bounds, and I shut it off at that point.

Iowa lost to the #1 team in the country by 20.

To beat elite teams, you have to:

1. Rebound. Iowa was MINUS 17 (42 UConn-25 Iowa)

2. Minimize 2nd chance points (Iowa gave up 14 second chance pts)

3. Minimize turnovers (15 Turnovers for Iowa LED TO 25 UConn POINTS)

4.Not be DEAD LAST IN THE NATION in PPG ALLOWED. Iowa gave up 92 today.

The Stats:

You probably don't watch enough good basketball then. Can't help ya there!

True, nothing screams good basketball like refs blowing whistles for an offensive player going nowhere and dribbling right into the defender. Sign me up for more of that!

How salty are you, though, about it?

You seem very intent on proving something otherwise you wouldn't have revisited this..........

Now deflect away. :D

Not salty at all. Just got done playing 18 and checked the ole HROT to see I had some notifications from this thread so I responded. I realize I won't change anyone's mind, but it's fun to see how blinded some can be by there black and gold goggles.

True, nothing screams good basketball like refs blowing whistles for an offensive player going nowhere and dribbling right into the defender. Sign me up for more of that!
Your description tells me enough. You didn't see the play. That's ok. I'll tell you. See, there was a foul. 🙂

It's obvious Iowa needs to get better defensively. With what I'm reading about the incoming recruits... not really seeing it.

Both the mens' and womens' teams just struggle with athletic teams.

Reactions: BGHAWK and mdhertle
Not salty at all.
tenor.gif

Just got done playing 18 (Csb...) and checked the ole HROT to see I had some notifications from this thread so I responded. (But was it necessary?.....:D )

I realize I won't change anyone's mind (Yeah...), but it's fun to see how blinded some can be by there black and gold goggles. (I can respect that. You want to pick a fight you know you can't win just for the sake of arguing with people because they have a view point you disagree with......................classic troll is classic.)
I'm being facetious btw. You and Legend12 were clearly bothered by Clark's reaction. ;)

It's obvious Iowa needs to get better defensively. With what I'm reading about the incoming recruits... not really seeing it.

Both the mens' and womens' teams just struggle with athletic teams.
Ehh....with the women's team there's not much they can do considering the uphill battle they, and so many other schools are fighting.

With the men, its not so much about the Jimmy's and Joe's, as it is about a fundamental flaw in Fran's system. Yes some of that is because of personnel, injuries, etc, but the defensive issues aren't new. The teams going off on 3 pt shooting and some random player having a career night against Iowa aren't new.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Ehh....with the women's team there's not much they can do considering the uphill battle they, and so many other schools are fighting.

With the men, its not so much about the Jimmy's and Joe's, as it is about a fundamental flaw in Fran's system. Yes some of that is because of personnel, injuries, etc, but the defensive issues aren't new. The teams going off on 3 pt shooting and some random player having a career night against Iowa aren't new.
Mostly agree with this. It’s incredibly infuriating watching the frequent lapses on defense and players standing around watching the ball instead of boxing out on the boards. Obviously quicker, stronger, taller recruits will help, but a lot of that is just effort and coaching emphasis. Come tourney time, outshooting teams is not a strategy that will work the majority of the time

🥱 I mean, that's a foul, but(and I'm no ISU fan) that's also small potatoes compared to Joens at the end of their game. So the officials have set the precedent that they aren't calling fouls at the end. You better hope you're already winning with under 5 to go.
Also it happened to crypt-keeper Mulkay so it's all good....... ;)

Reactions: birthhawk
Until the tournament, UConn played 4 ranked teams and lost to two of them -- their record was inflated -- Arizona clearly exposed some of UConn's weaknesses. Had UConn played in the Big Ten, the Big Twelve, the SEC or the Pac-12 they would not have been 28-2 on the season. Granted they had games against Louisville and Baylor cancelled on their non-conference schedule. Geno will schedule tough non-conference games but they are hurt by their weak conference schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT