ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

It got choppy in the middle with the bullpen, but you have to like how Steele started out.
I am going to attribute Suzuki’s blunder on the bases as being in a new stadium. I don’t think he saw what was going on.

It got choppy in the middle with the bullpen, but you have to like how Steele started out.
I am going to attribute Suzuki’s blunder on the bases as being in a new stadium. I don’t think he saw what was going on.
Everyone makes mistakes and you could be right or it could have just been one of those brain farts. Either way, I see a lot of things from him that I really like.

Reactions: lucas80
Everyone makes mistakes and you could be right or it could have just been one of those brain farts. Either way, I see a lot of things from him that I really like.
He has vastly overproduced so far. Everyone thought he’d need an adjustment period, and that MLB velocity would be too much for him at the start, but that hasn’t been the case. I am a little worried about the increased travel and longer season catching up with him like it so often does.

He has vastly overproduced so far. Everyone thought he’d need an adjustment period, and that MLB velocity would be too much for him at the start, but that hasn’t been the case. I am a little worried about the increased travel and longer season catching up with him like it so often does.
I’m looking at Suzuki like I’m looking at this team as a whole - how is the approach? How are the fundamentals?

I’m hoping for the best this year and would love to see a playoff appearance (I think it’s possible)….but I want the Cubs to fairly assess the pieces they currently have. So far, what I’ve seen from Seiya is a great approach. He won’t be universally successful and he won’t be Ichiro meets Ohtani all year, but if the approach doesn’t change, I think he’s absolutely going to be successful.

We can score, that seems like a given, I am not sure that the bullpen can be judged, yet. Hoerner continues to impress at SS, and Suzuki keeps hitting the ball with authority.

We can score, that seems like a given, I am not sure that the bullpen can be judged, yet. Hoerner continues to impress at SS, and Suzuki keeps hitting the ball with authority.
I think the Cubs have earned some leeway on the bullpen - they’ve rebuilt solid bullpens on the fly quite a few times over the years. I continue to love the offensive approach overall, even a lot of the outs are scorched. Look at Hermosillo today with the bases loaded - just missed a double/homer foul, then hit a laser beam that the CF was able to run down in the gap. Not a hit, but great AB.

Reactions: lucas80
I was just reading the recap on BCB, and Al Yellon included the stat that Suzuki has swung the bat 40 times this year, producing 4 singles, 2 doubles, and 4 homers. He has also been intentionally walked twice this season, including one time today. That's showing immediate respect from the rest of the league.

I was just reading the recap on BCB, and Al Yellon included the stat that Suzuki has swung the bat 40 times this year, producing 4 singles, 2 doubles, and 4 homers. He has also been intentionally walked twice this season, including one time today. That's showing immediate respect from the rest of the league.
So he’s hitting .250 if you use swings instead of ABs. That’s insane.

I was surprised when I looked up the stats that Suzuki has struck out 9 times this year. It seems that it would be about half that total with his discipline. He does have a 1:1 BB to SO ratio which is great by today's standards.

I would also like to see Contreras hit better with men on base. He's got 3 RBIs including 2 solo HRs. It seems like he presses with RISP. His 3 pitch SO with the bases loaded the other night and never taking the bat off his shoulder kind of hurt. Of course the 2nd pitch was a bad call by the umpire IMO.

I was surprised when I looked up the stats that Suzuki has struck out 9 times this year. It seems that it would be about half that total with his discipline. He does have a 1:1 BB to SO ratio which is great by today's standards.

I would also like to see Contreras hit better with men on base. He's got 3 RBIs including 2 solo HRs. It seems like he presses with RISP. His 3 pitch SO with the bases loaded the other night and never taking the bat off his shoulder kind of hurt. Of course the 2nd pitch was a bad call by the umpire IMO.
Expecting Suzuki’s numbers to translate directly from the NPL is just not realistic. It’s very clear, though, that he has excellent plate discipline.

Expecting Suzuki’s numbers to translate directly from the NPL is just not realistic. It’s very clear, though, that he has excellent plate discipline.
Oh, I agree with that. I was just surprised that he had struck out that many times. I have watched just about all of the games and I didn't recall that many SOs.

Reactions: hawkifann
“J.D., what are your thoughts on Seiya Suzuki defensively”?
Good. Really good.
I love that insightful analysis from Jim.

He hate to keep beating on the corpse of Jason Heyward, but he’s been reduced to a decoy in a pinch hitting change?

• Haha
Reactions: SWIowahawks
Keegan Thompson on pace to win 32 games this year.

He and Steele just might develop into the 2 biggest surprises on the team this year, including Suzuki.

Still way too early though, but I like the early results.

It’s really nice to look ahead to a legitimate variety of starting options. In addition to Stroman/Hendricks/Steele/Smyly, I can definitely see Thompson getting stretched out and starting later. Miley and Mills should be on their way back, hopefully Alzolay can get back at it in the 2nd half and Killian appears to be waiting in the wings. That doesn’t give the Cubs 5 Kershaws, but it’s quality depth they haven’t had in a while.

I highly recommend listening to Jake's appearance on Pardon My Take. A highly irreverent, but fun conversation that will take you back to some fun years.

This team is why I wasn’t too upset with losing the key players from the past decade. Strikeout or solo HR was terrible baseball. The Cubs are second in OPS, BA, and on base percentage. It’s much better baseball. Obviously, they will have their bad stretches but I think putting the ball in play is the way to go.

This team is why I wasn’t too upset with losing the key players from the past decade. Strikeout or solo HR was terrible baseball. The Cubs are second in OPS, BA, and on base percentage. It’s much better baseball. Obviously, they will have their bad stretches but I think putting the ball in play is the way to go.
Agreed. Jed has really flipped the approach of this team on the fly. There’s an argument that they’ve over-corrected (maybe not enough power now, but some is coming and/or can be bought), but it’s been impressive. I came into this season wanting answers on these guys: Schwindel, Ortega, Rivas, Wisdom, Madrigal (defensively), Hoerner, Happ, Hermosillo, Steele, Thompson. With the exception of Rivas (and I think his time will come), the Cubs have been able to get those guys a lot of action. Those guys will not be the core of ”the next great Cubs team”, but some of them will likely be contributors.

My favorite things from that group so far have been the overall offensive approach, Schwindel continuing to hit the ball hard, Nick & Nico playing good D and the emergence of Steele and Thompson. [Insert small sample size caveat here]

So it’s cold, raining, and the Cubs are down 4 runs and the top of the 1st is still going. My decision to stay at home tonight is being validated.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Cubs need to go into stall mode and get this to a rainout. 😉

Lots of rain yet to come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT